TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Originally Posted by Trevor
So you stick with a show from episode 1 to season whatever even if it gets worse and worse?

And I thought it wasn't planned as a 6 episode one-off series, but are actively planning for more "seasons".
I never said it was a 6 episode one and done series. They are indeed planning it to run multiple seasons at 13 episodes a season. I mean seriously why are you so impatient? If your truly unhappy with the show after the 6 episodes concludes, then fine move on. Also, I think it's a little unfair how you keep comparing this to other Zombie movies. I think it's pretty ambitious for AMC to work with Gale Anne Hurd, a very well respected Hollywood Producer, and Darabont to create this kind of series with a long term story arc rather than just seeing another retread of the genre in a 90 minute to 2 hour feature film. Superfro summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-08-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 02:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
No, but it confuses me one would stick out the show for 4 weeks but not 2 more to finish out the first "season" and judge it from it's open to close. I could understand if the haul was 20 or even 13 episodes, but 6? (Although I'd put my money on you watching them all anyway, so this may be a pointless discussion.)
You're probably right, but only because we're in a Challenge-free zone and I have more time for TV right now. Most months, I would have given up by now.

But again, I wasn't looking at this as a 6 episode run, as it seems certain to continue past that.
I don't get all the general slams of no originality and retread ideas. It's a character drama set in a zombie apocalypse. What are people exactly wanting to happen to blow them away and advance the zombie genre? Zombies driving cars? Able to fly? Have conversations? Wear disguises to try and trick survivors into coming out into the horde?
So you're saying that no zombie films have been innovative since the first one? Original concepts are still possible, just not evidenced in this show as of yet.
As many have said, the mere fact that it's a long term story about survival in zombified conditions is unlike anything else that's been done in film before.
If it lasts I guess. So far, the time line isn't longer than most films. Also, I Am Legend covered multiple years sort of, didn't it?

I guess I'm just a simple man and that's enough for me.
That's great. I hope I'm not coming off as attacking anyone that loves the series. I'm all for different opinions. I'm sure many of you would roll your eyes at some of the handful of shows I watch (Mad Men, Community, Psych, House, 30 Rock, Men of a Certain Age). Maybe if I watched more TV I'd like it more, as perhaps it's a top ten show. But I only watch 5 or so shows....
Old 11-08-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But again, I wasn't looking at this as a 6 episode run, as it seems certain to continue past that.
Sounds like it was just officially picked up for a Season 2. (Just to confirm this point.)

So you're saying that no zombie films have been innovative since the first one? Original concepts are still possible, just not evidenced in this show as of yet.
No..I'm asking what would be needed to make it an original concept. Ultimately I think the zombie tropes carry throughout most of examples one could give, especially at this point in the genre, but I guess I'm stating the way they're telling the story, or at least the format it's in, is innovative compared to anything before it.

If it lasts I guess. So far, the time line isn't longer than most films. Also, I Am Legend covered multiple years sort of, didn't it?
Sorry..I see my statement could go both ways. I meant more the format of the media being long, not the time progression in the story. We're looking at them making a zombie "movie" last for 6+ hours (and now at least 20+ hours). That's unprecedented.
Old 11-08-10, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It was renewed 2 weeks ago. This is just making it official.
Old 11-08-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/amc-...-for-season-2/

Yup, renewed for season 2.

The ratings held up quite well for episode 2:

4.7M viewers and 3.3M in the 18-49 demos. The demos for this show are insane, especially for a cable TV series.
Old 11-08-10, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I never said it was a 6 episode one and done series. They are indeed planning it to run multiple seasons at 13 episodes a season. I mean seriously why are you so impatient? If your truly unhappy with the show after the 6 episodes concludes, then fine move on. Also, I think it's a little unfair how you keep comparing this to other Zombie movies. I think it's pretty ambitious for AMC to work with Gale Anne Hurd, a very well respected Hollywood Producer, and Darabont to create this kind of series with a long term story arc rather than just seeing another retread of the genre in a 90 minute to 2 hour feature film. Superfro summed up my thoughts perfectly.
I'm glad they trying it as well. I respect the creators and the network for what they're trying to do. I expected and wanted the show to be an all-time favorite.

But if they're failing miserably (in my personal opinion), I feel no obligation to give them a full 6 episodes. Nor would I you of a show where I feel exactly as I do. But sure, I imagine I'm in for all six since I'm bored with little to watch right now, with the hope and even some optimism that it improves.
Old 11-08-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Last night's episode violated Chekhov's "When you show a grenade in the first act, you must blow up a zombie with it in the final act" rule.
Old 11-08-10, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Last night's episode violated Chekhov's "When you show a grenade in the first act, you must blow up a zombie with it in the final act" rule.
See, the show's already busting up "cliches"!

Trevor and Mabuse have no idea what they're talking (complaining) about, over and over!
Old 11-08-10, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Luckily, the final act isn't for several more seasons. Look for Rick to use that grenade sometime in Season 6.
Old 11-08-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I didn't realize zombie feces and guts smell washed off in less than 60 seconds of rain, did you? Even a bloodhound loses scent in the rain, but them zombies have supernatural smelling abilities(explained in detail in the comics of course), so it took mere seconds of rain for them to suddenly smell the living, even though they had zombies guts physically hanging on them. A lot of thought went in to writing the way that sequence played out, I could tell.
It's a popular myth; but actually a bloodhound tracks better in the rain as it drops the scent to the ground which is easier on them to track. If the zombies somehow gain an ability to smell better (not sure if they do or don't, never explained or explored later in the series) then the zombie gut smell would have started to fall south letting the "alive smell" peak outwards.

It could have also been their panic at the rain coming down and them speeding up? Later in the series they explore the dynamics of zombie behavior and how and when they decide to move or hunt in groups... I'm not gonna spoil anything but the comic readers might use that information to further explain the scene (I imagine they'll do the same thing in season 5 or 6 if the show survives that long).
Old 11-08-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I thought episode two was great. And I'm glad it got picked up for a second season. With 24 gone, Human Target and this show are my two favs currently on air.
Old 11-08-10, 04:40 PM

No..I'm asking what would be needed to make it an original concept. Ultimately I think the zombie tropes carry throughout most of examples one could give, especially at this point in the genre, but I guess I'm stating the way they're telling the story, or at least the format it's in, is innovative compared to anything before it.
I'd give a few idea but am afraid someone would griggs me.
Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Trevor and Mabuse have no idea what they're talking (complaining) about, over and over!
So am I not supposed to post in a thread if I don't love a show? Or am I not supposed to respond to people asking me questions?

I think I've been quite polite and very brief in my comments.
Old 11-08-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure if I missed it or not in the episode, but question:

Spoiler:
At the end, was Glenn going to meet up with the rest of the group or not?
Old 11-08-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

^^ It's fine Trevor. You have been more than polite in your criticisms. This thread would suck if it was all a love fest for the comics and the show. I know we all have different tastes and we're all not going to like the same programs/movies etc.
Old 11-08-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The ratings are insane. Expect multiple zombie shows next year
Old 11-08-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bigsoos
I'm not sure if I missed it or not in the episode, but question:

Spoiler:
At the end, was Glenn going to meet up with the rest of the group or not?
You don't need to spoilerize that. The episode already aired and is someone hasn't seen it, then tough shit. Anyways, it looked to me that he was driving out of town (that was same direction that Rick traveled heading into it) Then the episode ended.
Old 11-08-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exciting episode this week. I was a little disappointed that Rick and Glenn didn't do the standard zombie moan-and-shuffle as they walked. I loved all the suspicious looks they got though.

Michael Rooker, awesome! He'll be good and pissed when we see him again. I can't imagine that we won't.
Old 11-08-10, 04:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I was a little disappointed that Rick and Glenn didn't do the standard zombie moan-and-shuffle as they walked.
They did a little of both.
Old 11-08-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I loved all the suspicious looks they got though.
That was great, the walkers lose higher reasoning skills but still make the facial expression of suspiciousness.
Old 11-08-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NORML54601
That was great, the walkers lose higher reasoning skills but still make the facial expression of suspiciousness.
So does just about every pet I've ever owned.

And I love having people who don't like show post here; it forces me to watch the show more critically and drives some great dialog here. Some of the remarks of "crappy writing" were possibly warranted (police fight) and probably unwarranted (shooting wife).

I don't quite get all some of the "unoriginal" hated. I suppose nobody remembers all the hatred towards 28 Days Later and the remade Dawn of the Dead where everyone blasted them for not being true to the zombie mythology?

Personally I can't wait for the zombies to fade into the show's background like in the comic books. The comics are not about fighting zombies, they're about what happens to people when they exist day-to-day in a world where zombies rule and the horrific choices people have to make (and live with!) to survive.

"The Walking Dead" isn't a reference to the zombies guys... That's why the fans of the book love it so much.
Old 11-08-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

when you have zombies who cares about story lines, acting, dialogue, etc.
Old 11-08-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read through the whole thread, so this may have been posted. But just in case anyone didn't know, AMC officially picked this up for a second season.
Old 11-08-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, a few people already mentioned that. Thanks anyway.

About the picture quality, the first episode I watched in my projector and it looked really great. Last night episode I watched in my LCD tv, and that's when I saw all the "details".
Old 11-08-10, 06:16 PM

I tend to agree with the criticisms of the show, and this episode was uninspired and significantly worse than the first. Rooker's racist character was paint-by-the-numbers, and no one else had any time allotted for character development. Overall, it felt as rushed as any mainstream network program whose writers don't have enough time to create more than a bare-bones script that moves us from point A to point B.

The good news is that things should improve. I read the complete run of the comic over the weekend, and the first five issues are far and away the worst of the run. After that it was like someone flipped a switch and the comic became both ambitious and literary (in a good sense). I'm hoping that the television program can do the same, though I don't expect it to really pick up any steam until they get Darabont off scripting duties (organ donor? ugh) and transition into the search for a more permanent home in season 2.
Old 11-08-10, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I made the comment in the previous thread to not prejudge the wife based on the single scene in the pilot, but obviously they are taking her in a different direction than the comic. In the comic she basically had a one night stand with the partner on their way to Atlanta. Their relationship wasn't clearly defined because we didn't see them until Rick arrived, but I got the feeling she was still resisting becoming a couple.
Yeah, I'm absolutely judging her now. I didn't care for her in the comic, but am actively despising her on the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.