Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead - "Guts" - 11/7/10

The comic supposedly has a plan mapped out for a while, but no end in sight. Can't really expect the show to have an end planned either right?

So yeah I can agree that some of the stuff is cliche. But I am just happy to see a zombie story that has such scope beng put on film. We have zombie films but none of them feel very large scale to me. That's what this show will be remembered for. Well until World War Z anyway.
Old 11-08-10, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This show is sure fond of bringing in guest stars and handing them a sniper rifle.
Old 11-08-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This show is sure fond of bringing in guest stars and handing them a sniper rifle.
Yeah.

Ironically, in this episode even the other characters didn't 'get lost in the plot' and pointed out how stupid the guy was to make all that noise with the rifle. The writing is consistent!

Not a bad episode. The writing is on par with your average afternoon soap opera, but the whole zombie theme and pretty solid production values make it watchable.

I didn't realize zombie feces and guts smell washed off in less than 60 seconds of rain, did you? Even a bloodhound loses scent in the rain, but them zombies have supernatural smelling abilities(explained in detail in the comics of course), so it took mere seconds of rain for them to suddenly smell the living, even though they had zombies guts physically hanging on them. A lot of thought went in to writing the way that sequence played out, I could tell.
Old 11-08-10, 10:13 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Loved the episode. I'm glad to see it's not going in the exact same direction as the comics, but I haven't read very far yet.

My wife really enjoyed it (more than the first episode, I think)... even the scene where they hack up the body.
Old 11-08-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I bet it's a lot of fun to go to the movies with the good Doctor.

"If you got bitten by a radioactive spider you would just get diarrhea and have all your hair fall out."

Seriously, dude, read your last post and imagine Comic Book Guy's* voice.

*Not tied to the Walking Dead comic.
Old 11-08-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Loved the episode. I'm glad to see it's not going in the exact same direction as the comics, but I haven't read very far yet.
I think that's my favorite part at the moment. Sure I know stuff that should happen, but there is no reason any of it has to, and the show (even in just the two episodes) has shown that it's not afraid to do things differently or new. I was worried the most impacting events would already be spoiled for me, but I think it'll be a case where everything is still up in the air.
Old 11-08-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this was a great episode (better than the pilot actually).
Old 11-08-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, and the line of the night. Glenn, just before Rick starts hacking up the zombie: "He was an organ donor"
Old 11-08-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing I didn't really like about the episode was the handling of the losing the handcuff key. It thought that bit was pretty lame, and that they could've gone a couple different routes, but the end result is what mattered so I guess it's all the same. I kind of thought he was going to throw him over the hacksaw since they made a point to show the tools falling over, but based on next week's preview
Spoiler:
I guess those may come into play again on the return visit.
Old 11-08-10, 10:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
I think that's my favorite part at the moment. Sure I know stuff that should happen, but there is no reason any of it has to, and the show (even in just the two episodes) has shown that it's not afraid to do things differently or new. I was worried the most impacting events would already be spoiled for me, but I think it'll be a case where everything is still up in the air.
Absolutely. So far, it seems like they're following the general plot of the comics, but with enough changes to make it feel fresh. Since, from the first episode, they made it clear that this wasn't going to be exactly the same (and the author has given his blessing), it makes both reading the comic and watching the show to be equally fulfilling to me. Sure, there are comparisons to be made between the two, but you can tell they knew that what works in the comics doesn't necessarily work in a TV show.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Oh, and the line of the night. Glenn, just before Rick starts hacking up the zombie: "He was an organ donor"
I loved that!
Old 11-08-10, 11:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Yeah...I highly recommend going to episode 4 and then just skipping 5 and 6. Probably not worth the effort.
Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah a week or 2 when this is a 6 episode season.
So you stick with a show from episode 1 to season whatever even if it gets worse and worse?

And I thought it wasn't planned as a 6 episode one-off series, but are actively planning for more "seasons".

But in any case, I see no reason to watch every episode of a series if the first 4 are full of zombie-film retread ideas, stereotypes, and bland acting, despite the gorgeous cinematography and good effects.

I'm being generous with it because I trust you all.
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I loved that!
Really? It didn't make all of you cringe at how predictable it was?
Old 11-08-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dug last night's episode. The show isn't wowing me with originality, but I'm also not going to knock it for that. I'm just excited we have a zombie TV show to talk about. But I do think some of the corpse chopping, the lost key and the opening sex scene were a little bit of overkill.

I also agree last night's picture looked bad, full of noise and grain. I hope the Blu-ray release looks a bit more up to snuff.
Old 11-08-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Really? It didn't make all of you cringe at how predictable it was?
I kind of saw the impromptu eulogy coming, but that little throw away line from Glen came out of no where for me. But then, from the conversation between Rick and Glen, you kind of knew Glen had sort of a dark sense of humor about the whole situation anyways.

Was he not re-teaming with the rest of the guys in the truck?
Old 11-08-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I made the comment in the previous thread to not prejudge the wife based on the single scene in the pilot, but obviously they are taking her in a different direction than the comic. In the comic she basically had a one night stand with the partner on their way to Atlanta. Their relationship wasn't clearly defined because we didn't see them until Rick arrived, but I got the feeling she was still resisting becoming a couple.
Old 11-08-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That made me laugh.

Intense episode. Kinda wish I had them all saved up on the DVR to burn through quickly.

The only thing I didn't really like about the episode was the handling of the losing the handcuff key
Me neither. Oh well. I'm sure we'll see mister bigot again.
Old 11-08-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
A better title for this show would be the Walking Cliche. It's certainly a fun, well-made show, but the story, characters and writing are all shit. Is there even an end-goal as far the TV series is concerned? I know there really isn't one for the comic, but a TV series need to have a better game-plan.
The entire point of the comic was to create a zombie "movie" that never had to end. It says that right in the foreword of the first book.
Old 11-08-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The AMC App for IPhone has a highlight video of last night's episode and a sneak preview of Episode 3. They also look at a couple different characters from the show.

Who is Carl Grimes?
Who is Glen?
Who is Dale?
Who is Andrea?
Who is Lori Grimes?
Old 11-08-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
So you stick with a show from episode 1 to season whatever even if it gets worse and worse?

And I thought it wasn't planned as a 6 episode one-off series, but are actively planning for more "seasons".

But in any case, I see no reason to watch every episode of a series if the first 4 are full of zombie-film retread ideas, stereotypes, and bland acting, despite the gorgeous cinematography and good effects.
No, but it confuses me one would stick out the show for 4 weeks but not 2 more to finish out the first "season" and judge it from it's open to close. I could understand if the haul was 20 or even 13 episodes, but 6? (Although I'd put my money on you watching them all anyway, so this may be a pointless discussion.)

I don't get all the general slams of no originality and retread ideas. It's a character drama set in a zombie apocalypse. What are people exactly wanting to happen to blow them away and advance the zombie genre? Zombies driving cars? Able to fly? Have conversations? Wear disguises to try and trick survivors into coming out into the horde?

As many have said, the mere fact that it's a long term story about survival in zombified conditions is unlike anything else that's been done in film before. I guess I'm just a simple man and that's enough for me.

Last edited by superfro; 11-08-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-08-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I kind of saw the impromptu eulogy coming, but that little throw away line from Glen came out of no where for me. But then, from the conversation between Rick and Glen, you kind of knew Glen had sort of a dark sense of humor about the whole situation anyways.

Was he not re-teaming with the rest of the guys in the truck?
I got the impression he was either heading back to base camp, or finding somewhere along the way for the other to pick him up. Somewhere without walkers to hear the alarm.
Old 11-08-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
The AMC App for IPhone has a highlight video of last night's episode and a sneak preview of Episode 3. They also look at a couple different characters from the show.

Who is Carl Grimes?
Who is Glen?
Who is Dale?
Who is Andrea?
Who is Lori Grimes?
Cal and Lori are Rick's family. Dale is the old guy played by Jeffery DeMunn.

Glen is the Asian kid from last night and Andrea is the blond from the rooftop survivors.
Old 11-08-10, 01:02 PM

No, but it confuses me one would stick out the show for 4 weeks but not 2 more to finish out the first "season" and judge it from it's open to close. I could understand if the haul was 20 or even 13 episodes, but 6? (Although I'd put my money on you watching them all anyway, so this may be a pointless discussion.)

I don't get all the general slams of no originality and retread ideas. It's a character drama set in a zombie apocalypse. What are people exactly wanting to happen to blow them away and advance the zombie genre? Zombies driving cars? Able to fly? Have conversations? Wear disguises to try and trick survivors into coming out into the horde?

As many have said, the mere fact that it's a long term story about survival in zombified conditions is unlike anything else that's been done in film before. I guess I'm just a simple man and that's enough for me.
Oh look. Sometimes people make sense.
Old 11-08-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'm guessing Glen and Andrea are two more survivors with the former three in the trailer park camp.
Glen is the asian guy and Andrea is the blonde chick, both on last night's episode
Old 11-08-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I don't get all the general slams of no originality and retread ideas. It's a character drama set in a zombie apocalypse.
If that's the case, then the character drama sucks. There have numerous genre shows that have done the character stuff much better.
Old 11-08-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-08-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
If that's the case, then the character drama sucks. There have numerous genre shows that have done the character stuff much better.
For instance?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.