Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is The Plan worth adding to BSG collection?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-03-10, 07:24 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Having a tough time deciding on whether or not to spend (or waste) the money on The Plan, just thought I'd get a consensus here if anyone who's seen it thought that it's actually worth buying. Does it add anything to the Battlestar Galactica story? Or it just a waste of film? I've read the official review here which recommends it, but adds that there are flaws and it lacks cohesiveness.

My thanks to anyone who answers, -kd5-
Old 11-03-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Is The Plan worth adding to BSG collection?

I didn't think it genuinely added anything to my enjoyment of the series. I'd say rent it first if possible. Personally if I were to watch the entire series again, I'd skip it and probably RAZOR too.
Old 11-03-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, it didn't really add much at all. If anything, I hated how it tried to explain things. To me, it did a terrible job. Though I did like Razor.
Old 11-03-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was good, not great. I'd say it is worth it. (but I'm also a fan of Caprica)
Old 11-03-10, 08:45 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I didn't think it genuinely added anything to my enjoyment of the series. I'd say rent it first if possible. Personally if I were to watch the entire series again, I'd skip it and probably RAZOR too.
Originally Posted by Neitzl
I agree, it didn't really add much at all. If anything, I hated how it tried to explain things. To me, it did a terrible job. Though I did like Razor.

Thanks, I appreciate your honesty. I kept reading reviews on it, and most customer reviews were split pretty much down the middle. I suppose if I were a BSG junkie, I'd buy it without hesitation, but while I really liked the series, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a BSG junkie.

Thanks again, -kd5-
Old 11-03-10, 08:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cactusoly
It was good, not great. I'd say it is worth it. (but I'm also a fan of Caprica)
I'm not so sure I want to invest the time and $$$ in Caprica, I may wait until it makes its rounds and drops the current price tag they've attached to it. I haven't seen any of it yet, I dropped cable over a year ago.

I guess I'll have to wait & see about The Plan. -kd5-
Old 11-03-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed the BSG series and was a champion for it among my friends. That said, I thought The Plan was awful. It splices scenes from the series in with a new story, attempting to fill in any holes. The problem is that it's FULL of exposition and completely tiring. I only made it half way through--and again, this is coming from a big fan of the series. I wouldn't waste your money as there's no replay value at all IMO.
Old 11-03-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It felt like watching "BSG for Dummies".
Old 11-03-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I liked it, but it's basically fan service. Gives a different perspective on a handful of scenes throughout the series. The attack on the colonies is pretty cool. Some of the best music in the entire series too.
Old 11-03-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I'm not so sure I want to invest the time and $$$ in Caprica, I may wait until it makes its rounds and drops the current price tag they've attached to it.
Absolutely hold off on Caprica! That set is only half a season and frankly, I'm starting to wonder if it'll get a second. I forgot to program it into my DVR and have just been watching it on Hulu when I remember. It is a very different show with a pre-determined ending point. Definitely wait. There is abso-LUTELY nothing in that show that would enhance BSG.
Old 11-03-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I liked it, but it's basically fan service. Gives a different perspective on a handful of scenes throughout the series. The attack on the colonies is pretty cool. Some of the best music in the entire series too.
I'd agree with all of this.

Nothing fantastic compared to the rest of the series, but if you can get it for a good price, then go for it.
Old 11-03-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Caprica has been cancelled but a new BSG spinoff is in the works (more of a war story this time).

I enjoyed The Plan, but I will admit it's not really a cohesive story that stands on its own. It goes back and shows a lot of things that happened "offscreen" during the series, and it is neat to see how those things went down. The scenes with the attacks on the colonies is a great sequence.

Also:
Spoiler:
boobies!

On Amazon, it's $13.49/17.49 DVD/Blu, I paid more when it was first released.
Old 11-03-10, 10:57 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks everyone, I think that since it really doesn't add much (if anything) to the story, and is not an integral part of it, I'm going to wait until it hits the bargain bins, which sounds like it might not be too far away from... -kd5-
Old 11-03-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Thanks everyone, I think that since it really doesn't add much (if anything) to the story, and is not an integral part of it, I'm going to wait until it hits the bargain bins, which sounds like it might not be too far away from... -kd5-
Just a heads-up: I just checked ebay and it looks like if you keep an eye on it, The Plan regularly goes for $4-$6 with free shipping. You can't Buy It Now--you'd have to bid and wait on an auction--but that's bargain bin pricing if I've ever seen it.
Old 11-03-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

One other thing about The Plan. It mostly focuses on Dean Stockwell's Brother Cavil character. If you're a fan of his or liked the character, that makes it more worthwhile.
Old 11-03-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

The Plan is essentially a 105 minute movie made from mostly clips from previous seasons with a few new segments. It's worth watching, but not essential.

I do disageree with the comment that Razor isn't worth watching. It takes place between season 2-3 and is technically episode 401 and 402 for season 4. It sets up alot of the events of season 4.
Old 11-03-10, 03:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that Razor is worth watching, a point of interest for me is that they included Razor with Season 4.0, yet the actual period in which it should be placed/watched seems to me to be between Seasons 2.0 & 2.5. The last episode of Season 2.0 is called Pegasus, in which we are introduced to the Pegasus and her crew, the first episode of Season 2.5 involves the captain of the Pegasus and the problems with her that the crew of the Galactica faces. Logically, Razor should fit between the two,
Spoiler:
at least before she's shot anyway
at least that's how I see it.

As far as The Plan is concerned, I believe I'll pass (at least for now). -kd5-
Old 11-03-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Razor technically fits in Season 2 between The Captain's Hand and Downloaded, and that's where I'll watch it on future series rewatches.

And it is definitely easier to get into than The Plan since Razor is an actual two-episode length story.
Old 11-03-10, 05:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Razor technically fits in Season 2 between The Captain's Hand and Downloaded
It's been so long that we've watched BSG it's hard for me to remember how events actually transpired. I assumed Razor should take place while Cain was still alive, but does the actual storyarc dictate it should take place after her demise? Sorry for any spoilers. -kd5-
Old 11-04-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
It's been so long that we've watched BSG it's hard for me to remember how events actually transpired. I assumed Razor should take place while Cain was still alive, but does the actual storyarc dictate it should take place after her demise? Sorry for any spoilers. -kd5-
It does get confusing since it's got flashbacks and out of order storytelling, but the thing to remember is that the main framing device is about Lee Adama assuming command of the Pegasus.

It's also confusing in that it was paid for with Season 4 money, so that's when it was aired and how it's packaged in the season sets and complete series sets, but I still go back to the main frame of the story and that puts it in season 2.
Old 11-04-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh, it's pretty terrible.

I just have it because of my completest tendencies.
Old 11-04-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

so where should I put Razor when I watch it.
I just started season 1 on Netflix steaming. btw the hd on netflix streaming looks great on this show.
Old 11-04-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
so where should I put Razor when I watch it.
I just started season 1 on Netflix steaming. btw the hd on netflix streaming looks great on this show.
It takes place during season 2, but spoils alot of the events of season 4. You need to watch it after you finish season 3. As mentioned in the thread already it's technically episode 401 and 402.
Old 11-04-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Just go into it knowing that it's not a full movie, but a clip show told from the Cylon perspective.

If you can get past that, it does a pretty good job of filling in the holes in the Cylon motivations and provides closure to a few minor plot threads that were left dangling. Even though the framing device takes place late in the second season, "The Plan" should be watched after the series finale, as it spoils some things from later in the series.
Old 11-05-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The Plan is OK if you need more BSG. I thought Razor was good. It should be watched as part of season 4.

Viewing order recently discussed here

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/577...tch-first.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.