Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Old 10-24-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Sherlock (BBC) begins tonight on PBS...

I've already seen these, but they are definitely some good stuff. I recommend anybody with a slight interest to check them out. Hopefully they build on the success and tweak some of the weak points for Series 2.
Old 10-25-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, N2DVD. I never would have known about this otherwise.

Great "origin" episode. Pretty much perfect casting, and an excellent updating of Sherlock Holmes. I hope they produce more beyond these three episodes.
Old 10-25-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Great "origin" episode. Pretty much perfect casting, and an excellent updating of Sherlock Holmes. I hope they produce more beyond these three episodes.
Martin Freeman just got the role of Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit, so he's likely to be tied up for the next few years.

Not like multi-year gaps between seasons (series) is that odd in the UK.
Old 10-25-10, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Martin Freeman just got the role of Bilbo Baggins in the Hobbit, so he's likely to be tied up for the next few years.

Not like multi-year gaps between seasons (series) is that odd in the UK.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that Jackson said he would work around the Sherlock shooting schedule for Season 2 as he believes Freeman was "born to play the role"
Old 10-25-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it seemed like Freeman wasn't going to be able to be in the Hobbit because of his commitments to Sherlock, but timelines were moved so he could do it.
Old 10-25-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks interesting. It's not on until 2:30 AM over here, but I'll record it and check it out.
Old 10-25-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't care much at all for the recent Guy Ritchie big screen version, but this BBC series, well, this BBC series - at least based on this first episode - was a marvelous piece of entertainment; I loved it.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes is just a stroke of genius from the casting department; he was simply perfect as Holmes. Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson is solid too, and the pair share solid chemistry. The makers did a fine job in giving the show a contemporary setting combined with a fresh, modern feel yet still managing to retain a strong classic feel as well. The writers too deserve great credit for the solid scripting and wonderful dialogue...just so entertaining to listen to. The mystery storyline too was interesting, especially the climactic scene.

I'm just stunned by how good this BBC episode was...and I think even less of the recent big screen version than I had before.

Obviously I missed the earlier BBC airing of this show. As to this airing on PBS I must say it was disappointing. Early on it seemed to me that the framing was just too tight at 1.33:1. Though I didn't expect that PBS would do such a thing, I grew concerned with regard to a cropped presentation. Well, a quick check reveals that the original aspect ratio is 1.78:1...so a major thumbs down to PBS for the cropped presentation. That being the case, I'm going to bypass the upcoming PBS broadcasts and simply purchase the DVD upon its coming release.
Old 10-25-10, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
As to this airing on PBS I must say it was disappointing. Early on it seemed to me that the framing was just too tight at 1.33:1. Though I didn't expect that PBS would do such a thing, I grew concerned with regard to a cropped presentation. Well, a quick check reveals that the original aspect ratio is 1.78:1...so a major thumbs down to PBS for the cropped presentation. That being the case, I'm going to bypass the upcoming PBS broadcasts and simply purchase the DVD upon its coming release.
I went back and forth between the SD PBS and the HD PBS. The SD was a full screen presentation, but it appeared the HD was in its correct ratio.
I haven't watched the show yet, but I just wanted to make sure I was getting the proper HD version, so I only saw the opening while I was doing the comparisons.
Old 10-25-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dan G, good to know about the proper HD broadcast. I did indeed watch the show via the SD broadcast.
Old 10-25-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm loving the little twists/reversals in this. Treating the modern day landlord like a housekeeper, the rache/Rachel thing being reversed from the book.
Old 10-25-10, 10:50 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts

I liked how they showed the texts on screen
Old 10-25-10, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation - set to record tonight's repeat and next Sunday's broadcast.
Old 10-26-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI - This was written by Stephen Moffat (current show-runner for Doctor who and creator of Jeckyll and Coupling). I meant to program this after seeing an excellent review in EW a few weeks ago. Hope I can catch an HD re-broadcast!
Old 10-26-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

It'll be on DVD and BR in a few weeks if anybody misses it.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/She...Season-1/14330
Old 10-26-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why, but my PBS station has always "done it's own thing". Sherlock wasn't aired on Sunday and isn't anywhere in the next 2 weeks of my guide.
Old 10-26-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Missed it, added to Netflix.
Old 10-26-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I don't know why, but my PBS station has always "done it's own thing". Sherlock wasn't aired on Sunday and isn't anywhere in the next 2 weeks of my guide.
Did you double-check to look under the title MASTERPIECE MYSTERY, not SHERLOCK?

Anyway, the complete first episode does seem to be available for immediate viewing right now at the pbs.org website.
Old 10-26-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved it. Just stumbled onto it while looking for something to watch.

It seems most PBS SD stations show widescreen material by just cutting off the sides now. They used to be letterboxed.
Old 10-26-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
It seems most PBS SD stations show widescreen material by just cutting off the sides now. They used to be letterboxed.
Maybe it's because OTA is all digital now, so if someone wants to watch it letterboxed on their SD set, they can just tune into the HD channel.
Old 10-26-10, 05:13 PM

Loved this! Fantastic episode. Everything was great from the acting to the dialogue to the "modernization" of A Study in Scarlet. The ending confrontation scene was great and I really liked the twist at the very end.

Definitely can't wait to watch the other two episodes. Any word if there's going to be a 2nd season?
Old 10-26-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
FYI - This was written by Stephen Moffat (current show-runner for Doctor who and creator of Jeckyll and Coupling). I meant to program this after seeing an excellent review in EW a few weeks ago. Hope I can catch an HD re-broadcast!
He's also co-writer on Spielberg's Adventures of Tintin.
Old 10-26-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Any word if there's going to be a 2nd season?
In late August there was an announcement that there will be a 2nd season of SHERLOCK consisting again of 3 movies...a bit of a wait though as we shouldn't expect them until Fall 2011.
Old 10-26-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn missed this! Are they going to rerun this?

And I cant believe thats the dude from Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (the brit office too right?) He looks really thin, almost sick.
Old 10-26-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Damn missed this! Are they going to rerun this?
You can watch it at the pbs.org website.
Old 10-26-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wife and I caught it last night, thought it was fantastic. Really looking forward to the next two.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.