Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: South Park -- "Insheeption" -- 10/20/10

It isn't a "I'm offended" vibe, it just wasn't a particularly clever or funny episode. Inception was alright, kind of surprised it was big enough to get an episode of South Park though. Nolan can tell the hell out of a story but seems incapable of making characters worth giving a damn about.
Old 10-23-10, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
As someone who finds Christopher Nolan painfully pedestrian and wholly overrated I was overjoyed to see them brave enough to express an unpopular and controversial opinion that I happen to hold as well but just like the "Cartoon Wars" I find myself unable to really judge the episode itself for that same reason.

I love the fact that it pissed off the Nolan dorks though. I feel I'm biased to the point where I'm not really in a position to say it's a great episode but I don't really think there's any way you could hate this episode unless you're insecure about someone criticizing The Holy One's Perfect Piece of Cinema.

It was a pretty straightforward criticism of the movie too. I remember with "Cartoon Wars" a lot of people were in denial and felt Trey and Matt couldn't REALLY hate "Family Guy" and I'm sure some of that is going around, though I'm not really seeing it here. I may check out the IMDB boards because I'm sure there are people out there who have themselves convinced that they couldn't possibly hate The Greatest Most Awesome Movie Ever Made. I do definitely get an "I hate this episode because they trashed something I love" vibe from this thread though.
Are you being sarcastic? It's not that controversial to criticize Inception, in fact it's pretty common. And it's certainly not brave to poke fun of it, especially by South Park standards. I'd be surprised if anyone is actually pissed about the parody.
Old 10-23-10, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

South Park creators apologize for borrowing from College Humor Inception parody
Old 10-23-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

As someone who finds Christopher Nolan painfully pedestrian and wholly overrated I was overjoyed to see them brave enough to express an unpopular and controversial opinion that I happen to hold as well but just like the "Cartoon Wars" I find myself unable to really judge the episode itself for that same reason.

I love the fact that it pissed off the Nolan dorks though. I feel I'm biased to the point where I'm not really in a position to say it's a great episode but I don't really think there's any way you could hate this episode unless you're insecure about someone criticizing The Holy One's Perfect Piece of Cinema.

It was a pretty straightforward criticism of the movie too. I remember with "Cartoon Wars" a lot of people were in denial and felt Trey and Matt couldn't REALLY hate "Family Guy" and I'm sure some of that is going around, though I'm not really seeing it here. I may check out the IMDB boards because I'm sure there are people out there who have themselves convinced that they couldn't possibly hate The Greatest Most Awesome Movie Ever Made. I do definitely get an "I hate this episode because they trashed something I love" vibe from this thread though.
Don't break your neck fellating yourself there.
Old 10-24-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do I need to watch "Inception" before seeing this episode?
I would say you do, even though apparently Matt and Trey didn't.
Old 10-24-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Wow, very bad form on the part of Matt and Trey. I can't believe they would try such an obvious rip-off. While a lot of people obviously didn't know, the College Humor people were certainly going to notice it right away.
Old 10-24-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Wow, very bad form on the part of Matt and Trey. I can't believe they would try such an obvious rip-off. While a lot of people obviously didn't know, the College Humor people were certainly going to notice it right away.
Did you READ the article? They thought the College Humor bit was using DIRECT lines from the film. They didn't think the were ripping it off, they thought the were spoofing Inception using the CH bit because it was the only thing available to work off of (i.e. no screeners, no Blu's/DVDs of the film)...Stupid? Yes. But were they trying to get away with ripping it off? No.
Old 10-24-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the episode was okay. I haven't seen Inception, but I still got some of the jokes based on what I know about the movie.

I thought some of the best parts were them trying to clean out Stan's locker and him explaining he needed the most ridiculous things. It was also funny to see Mr. Mackey freak out on Stan. Having Freddy Krueger show up was awesome as well.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I loved the stuff with the sheep herder.

"But I'm a sheep herder!"

"It's pronounced hoarder."

"But I really am herding sheep!"

"Yes, you are hurting sheep by hoarding them."
The Sheep Herder was by far the funniest part of the episode. It was so random and he just couldn't catch a break. That exchange was well-done. I liked how at the end Freddy said he just wished he could have saved the sheep herder.
Old 10-24-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
The Sheep Herder was by far the funniest part of the episode. It was so random and he just couldn't catch a break. That exchange was well-done. I liked how at the end Freddy said he just wished he could have saved the sheep herder.
By far the funniest part for me.
Old 10-24-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's stupid, I didn't really like Inception (and thought it was overrated) but also thought this episode was just "meh".
Old 10-24-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Did you READ the article? They thought the College Humor bit was using DIRECT lines from the film. They didn't think the were ripping it off, they thought the were spoofing Inception using the CH bit because it was the only thing available to work off of (i.e. no screeners, no Blu's/DVDs of the film)...Stupid? Yes. But were they trying to get away with ripping it off? No.
Ehh, I don't know. Even if they thought the lines were directly from the movie, they still saw that someone else had done the exact same bit and they were fine with completely recycling it for the episode, almost word for word. So maybe they're not cheaters, but that's certainly being lazy.
Old 10-25-10, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BJacks
Ehh, I don't know. Even if they thought the lines were directly from the movie, they still saw that someone else had done the exact same bit and they were fine with completely recycling it for the episode, almost word for word. So maybe they're not cheaters, but that's certainly being lazy.
Well, their excuse is that they had 6 days total to do the entire episode. I agree that it was extremely lazy and very stupid, but I don't think they were trying to get away with ripping anyone off (as someone accused them of). I think to make it up to the CH people, they should hire them as writers, or at least pay them royalties from that episode.
Old 10-25-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Well, their excuse is that they had 6 days total to do the entire episode. I agree that it was extremely lazy and very stupid, but I don't think they were trying to get away with ripping anyone off (as someone accused them of). I think to make it up to the CH people, they should hire them as writers, or at least pay them royalties from that episode.
Pfft. Maybe pay them some royalties but not hire them on. College Humor is lame most of the time anyways. I'm sure Matt and Trey weren't intentionally trying to rip them off. I believe them even if it was lazy but whatever I guess it happens to the best of us from time to time to rush with something that needs to get done.
Old 10-25-10, 04:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I LOVED this episode. One of the best ever, but I am a little biased because I HATED Inception and agree with all the stuff they said about the movie in the episode. Just because soemthing is complicated to explain and you understand it doesn't make it "cool"
"You're just too stupid to understand it."
Old 10-25-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised this didn't come out sooner, the second I saw that part I immediately recognized the dialogue from CollegeHumor's spoof of the movie. As stated by others, this episode was mediocre, outside of the brilliant Randy butterfly poon part.
Old 10-25-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
I'm surprised this didn't come out sooner, the second I saw that part I immediately recognized the dialogue from CollegeHumor's spoof of the movie. As stated by others, this episode was mediocre, outside of the brilliant Randy butterfly poon part.
Nolan apologist fanboy.