Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- "Hands and Knees" -- 09/26/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- "Hands and Knees" -- 09/26/10

This episode with Don was not just tense, but intense. I was really surprised he confessed his past to Faye. I agree with Dragon, it's an entirely different matter between having a Pete Campbell try to blackmail you, and being investigated by G-men. I was really surprised that Pete sucked it up and took the fall for losing Pioneer Aviation. Now it will remain to be seen how Pete holds that over Don's head. Really good stuff! Oh, was also surprised to see that Trudy hadn't popped yet. I would assume based on the watermelon under her dress that next week's episode will include their child being born.
Old 09-27-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Hamm does a great job of acting nervous and showing that his world is about to end. You can just see the tension in his face.

Loved the shot Lane took.

I get the feeling that telling Faye his secret will bite him on the ass later on - especially if he starts to bang his secretary.

A pregnant Trudy is still a hot Trudy.

The show needs Peggy.

I wonder what Don would've done if he knew SCDP was losing Lucky Strike. Would he give himself up knowing that the NAA contract is that much more important to the firm staying alive at that point?

So many damaging secrets from all these characters.
Old 09-27-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
As I said last week, give Hamm the Emmy now...he does deserve it.
With Bryan Cranston out of the running, I think that's a given. The writer's have asked a lot out of Jon Hamm this season and he's delivered.
Old 09-27-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pete knows how important Don is to the agency, and thats why he sucked it up.. His face told the whole story when Don told him he could run the whole company. And Pete, talks a good game about being virtuous, but he has his own skeletons in his closet as well.
Old 09-27-10, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
With Bryan Cranston out of the running
Why is he out of the running?
Old 09-27-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by skiman
Why is he out of the running?
Breaking Bad's next season doesn't start until next July, so it won't qualify for next year's Emmys.
Old 09-27-10, 10:44 PM

thanks. these summer shows get me all confused.
Old 09-28-10, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone please help me out on this question? I haven't really concerned myself with it much before because it hasn't been, in my mind, the most interesting part of Mad Men.

Why is it THAT big a deal that he switched dog tags with Draper? Don didn't desert, he was discharged for a purple heart injury. That's not desertion. Either Draper or Whitman would have been honorably discharged for the injury, despite rank, right?

The only thing that "Don" could be accused of is receiving a higher pay rate for his benefits and false identity...which would be be almost a non-charge considering the affected family knew the truth for a long time.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-28-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I recall correctly, Draper had only a couple months left to serve, while Dick Whitman had years to go still. Once Dick recovered, he would most certainly have had to serve out the rest of his enlistment. By switching names he got an earlier release date from the army than he would have had. That's desertion, and the stealing of someone's identity.

A likely long sentence at a military prison even with an outstanding lawyer.
Old 09-28-10, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
Am I missing something?
Don Draper is a false identity, a self-constructed illusion built upon the foundation of a lie. In this, Don Draper is a one man metaphor for the entire advertising industry, suggesting the premise that is why he is so successful in that world.

Don Draper [in 1960] is also an ideal. The handsome breadwinner for an upper-middle-class nuclear family. His life is a billboard for the American Dream of the just ended 1950s. And because Don Draper is not who he claims to be, he is (again) a metaphor for the falsity of that lifestyle and its promise of happiness and contentment.

That the Don Draper, who bestrode the 1960 offices of Sterling Cooper like a royal surveying his kingdom, would be deconstructed by the changing times of the ensuing decade is a reflection of how every assumption about the American Dream would be tested in those same years.

Don fears that the revelation of "the lie" will bring his world crumbling down around him, when the truth is the lie of his world is going to crumble anyways.

So I guess the answer to your quoted question is that if you really analyze it, Dick Whitman assuming Don Draper's identity might not be a big deal. However, the premise that it is a big deal provides dramatic drive to [what is actually] a TV show.
Old 09-28-10, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by meritocracy
If I recall correctly, Draper had only a couple months left to serve, while Dick Whitman had years to go still. Once Dick recovered, he would most certainly have had to serve out the rest of his enlistment. By switching names he got an earlier release date from the army than he would have had. That's desertion, and the stealing of someone's identity.

Or that.
Old 09-28-10, 03:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Don Draper is a false identity, a self-constructed illusion built upon the foundation of a lie. In this, Don Draper is a one man metaphor for the entire advertising industry, suggesting the premise that is why he is so successful in that world.

Don Draper [in 1960] is also an ideal. The handsome breadwinner for an upper-middle-class nuclear family. His life is a billboard for the American Dream of the just ended 1950s. And because Don Draper is not who he claims to be, he is (again) a metaphor for the falsity of that lifestyle and its promise of happiness and contentment.

That the Don Draper, who bestrode the 1960 offices of Sterling Cooper like a royal surveying his kingdom, would be deconstructed by the changing times of the ensuing decade is a reflection of how every assumption about the American Dream would be tested in those same years.

Don fears that the revelation of "the lie" will bring his world crumbling down around him, when the truth is the lie of his world is going to crumble anyways.

So I guess the answer to your quoted question is that if you really analyze it, Dick Whitman assuming Don Draper's identity might not be a big deal. However, the premise that it is a big deal provides dramatic drive to [what is actually] a TV show.
Ridiculous.
Old 09-28-10, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That seems a bit much.
Old 09-28-10, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by meritocracy

Am I wrong, or aren't soldiers receiving the Purple Heart given an option to go home?
Old 09-28-10, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
Am I wrong, or aren't soldiers receiving the Purple Heart given an option to go home?
No. If they completely heal from their wounds, they can be sent back into action over and over. (At least that was true back then)
Old 09-28-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Don't bring your over-thinkin' college ways in here! Everyone, more complaints about Betty being a bitch!

Last edited by majorjoe23; 09-28-10 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Don't bring your over-thinkin' college ways in here! Everyone, more complains about Betty being a bitch!
She was actually pretty good in this episode. I was surprised.
Old 09-28-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wondered why Don Draper was not in World War II, instead of Korea. They previously mentioned he was born in 1925, which makes him the same age as my father. My father was drafted for WWII right out of high school graduation in 1943 and went and served in Guam until the war ended.
Old 09-28-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

You mean Don Draper or Dick Wittman? Do we know how old Dick Wittman really is?
Old 09-28-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 09-28-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
She was actually pretty good in this episode. I was surprised.
I agree... I commented on how she seemed human to my wife during the episode.
Old 09-28-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You mean Don Draper or Dick Wittman? Do we know how old Dick Wittman really is?
I am pretty sure he was born in 1925 (as Dick Whitman). Because I instantly was like "Wow, he's my dad's age." It's been interesting watching the show through that angle.
Old 09-28-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I am pretty sure he was born in 1925 (as Dick Whitman). Because I instantly was like "Wow, he's my dad's age." It's been interesting watching the show through that angle.
OK. I don't remember.

But I assume not every last male of that age necessarily went to war (obviously there was a draft and it was likely a very high pct drafted of that age). Maybe he was called up for WWII service but never saw overseas combat action....and perhaps that's why he did get selected to go to Korea.
Old 09-28-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

According to Wikipedia (because my memory sucks), Whitman was 19 when he ran away and joined the military. It would be pretty surprising if a 19-year-old recruit in 1944 wasn't sent to Europe. But if he's younger, than would but his actual age on the show probably closer to 35 or even younger, which seems unlikely.
Old 09-28-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I agree... I commented on how she seemed human to my wife during the episode.
"she seemed human" --high praise for Jones' acting indeed!

Interesting or creepy, thinking about all the tail your old man was tagging back in the day?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.