Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MasterChef (FOX) -- Gordon Ramsay -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
re: MasterChef (FOX) -- Gordon Ramsey -- Series Thread

Poached eggs are not easy to make properly. Especially when some of them were probably sitting a while before making their way to the judges. Baring any disastrous side dishes, I can understand why they let people through who had a well cooked poached egg.
Old 08-11-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Did they stagger the cooking times? How were the dishes from the front not ice cold or overly warmed by the time they got judged?
Old 08-11-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I wondered the same thing. They definitely showed it as if everyone cooked at the same time. If so, the plates from the last group must have been pretty gross by the time the judges tried them.
Old 08-11-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved how they made a big deal about having "only 1 egg" ... but there were cartons of them in the ingredients area. As soon as I saw the one woman use egg shell in her plating with the caviar, I knew she was gone ... the plating can't get in the way of the food.
Old 08-11-10, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I loved how they made a big deal about having "only 1 egg" ... but there were cartons of them in the ingredients area. As soon as I saw the one woman use egg shell in her plating with the caviar, I knew she was gone ... the plating can't get in the way of the food.
I was thinking that, too. Why would I want to fight with an egg shell to get my food? Especially when that shell is likely to crack even more, dropping pieces of shell into what I am eating

I still can't stand Douchey McDoucheton, and I love Avis!
Old 08-11-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

And Ramsay has made it clear in the past that he hates inedible items on the plate for purely presentation purposes (fish on the bone, inedilble garnish, etc).
Old 08-11-10, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I will not be watching this show again

until next week. Well done, Master Chef!

Though I can't figure out why we needed 20,000 eggs so 24 people could each cook one egg.
Old 08-11-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I barely watch TV and I have been watching this show. Sorta like it. I can't cut onions worth a damn, but I love cooking.

And, I thought the exact same thing about the egg shell lady. That was a face palm moment.
Old 08-12-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Though I can't figure out why we needed 20,000 eggs so 24 people could each cook one egg.
I said essentially the same thing while watching! We were laughing at how despite the tens of thousands of eggs they carted out we had enough eggs for the challenge sitting in our refrigerator.
Old 08-16-10, 03:25 AM

My random observations.

No, the show is not very good. Maybe now that they've further trimmed some fat it will get better. Does anyone know if they'll now proceed one elimination a week, or will it be random like this one?

The credits actually listed an "Egg Sponsor." I suppose they're not gonna get 20K eggs on their own... especially if they're only using a thousandth of them.

And finally, Sheena and (brunette) Whitney are definitely two of the hottest reality contestants I've seen in a while.
Old 08-18-10, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bump, don't forget guys the show moves to Wednesday's starting tonight.

Episode synopsis:

A team challenge has the 14 remaining hopefuls working together to feed hundreds of Marines at California's Camp Pendleton.
Old 08-19-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight's episode felt like Hell's Kitchen without the benefit of being able to watch Ramsay run a kitchen. In other words, all of the fat without the meat.
Old 08-19-10, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Tonight's episode felt like Hell's Kitchen without the benefit of being able to watch Ramsay run a kitchen. In other words, all of the fat without the meat.
i actually preferred it to HK. im pretty tired of the dinner service segments and listening to ramsey say the same insults over and over. the challenges are about all i enjoy on HK anymore.

now that the awful audition phase is done, im really liking this show.
Old 08-19-10, 07:10 AM

I understand why the judges would only try "the top three" for the first challenge, but I have a hard time understanding how they can eliminate food without tasting it, especially when it can range from chocolate mousse to southern fried pork chops. I thought Whitney's plate looked terrible and not top-3 worthy, yet she won.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the judges acting upset about the results of the Chinese challenge. Amateur chefs cook what they know, especially without recipes, so I'm not sure what they expected with Chinese and oranges. Unless you live in a city where you can get real Chinese food (or are Chinese and can this is your home cooking), your definition of the food with oranges is probably fried orange chicken or stir fry. While one could argue that a "master" chef should have range, these people just don't have the experience AND I truly don't expect a lot of great chefs to whip out a meal outside of their expertise in an hour.
Old 08-19-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whitney is such a cute girl

as for the rest of the show... man i can only imagine the diaherria Ramsey has after tasting all the food...
Old 08-19-10, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Watching last night's episode, I came to the conclusion that the amateur chefs on this show are, on average, better chefs than the "professionals" he gets for Hell's Kitchen.
Old 08-20-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone else think Gordon has been spending too much time in the sun? He looked as red as a tomato.
Old 08-20-10, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Did anyone else think Gordon has been spending too much time in the sun? He looked as red as a tomato.
not to mention his face is more wrinkled than your average 60yr old.
Old 08-20-10, 02:18 AM

I understand why the judges would only try "the top three" for the first challenge, but I have a hard time understanding how they can eliminate food without tasting it, especially when it can range from chocolate mousse to southern fried pork chops. I thought Whitney's plate looked terrible and not top-3 worthy, yet she won.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the judges acting upset about the results of the Chinese challenge. Amateur chefs cook what they know, especially without recipes, so I'm not sure what they expected with Chinese and oranges. Unless you live in a city where you can get real Chinese food (or are Chinese and can this is your home cooking), your definition of the food with oranges is probably fried orange chicken or stir fry. While one could argue that a "master" chef should have range, these people just don't have the experience AND I truly don't expect a lot of great chefs to whip out a meal outside of their expertise in an hour.
The other part which I assumed was just editing was on the first challenge they showed only 2 of the judges tasting each dish (and it rotated around such that each judge had tasted only 2 of the 3 dishes on camera). I'm kind of working under the assumption that all 3 judges tasted the 3 dishes chosen, but does anyone know if this is indeed true?

I also didn't get the high expectations for the girl that won the challenge - yes she picked the ingredient, but she had nothing to do with the Chineses part of the challenge - so why would they just assume she had some advantage?

At least with Hell Kitchen's you could ignore the competitive issues as that show is just entertainment under the guise of competition, but this show is trying to pawn itself off as a real competition.
Old 08-25-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bump

2 more new hours tonight

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The home cooks are challenged to make a single cupcake, and while that sounds like a simple task, they quickly learn that it's not that easy. Later, special guest Chef Cat Cora and the contestants step out of the kitchen for the team challenge: cooking for truckers at a truck stop. The losers return to face the pressure test, where they must name as many ingredients they can from a table of fresh farmers-market finds.

Read more: Listings - MASTERCHEF on FOX | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz0xg9Sx0jw

2 hour episodes from now on until the season finale.
Old 08-26-10, 07:19 AM

The whole "choose three" thing still bugs me. I thought Cat Cora came across very positively, though I suppose she doesn't have to sell a mean/sarcastic image. I find it interesting how some contestants are being completely ignored. I don't think they said the Indian woman's name once yesterday or showed her food.
Old 08-26-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Man, another Hell's Kitchen in September? That's awfully close to the last one. Is Gordon shooting 2 Hell's Kitchens and a Master Chef all at the same time?
Old 08-26-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Whitney sure is a cocky bitch. Every time she does an interview/voiceover she's like "my dish is the best" blah-blah-blah. Yet she's never eaten real Chinese food? You know NOTHING. I'm waiting for her to fall on her ass.
Old 08-26-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
That Whitney sure is a cocky bitch. Every time she does an interview/voiceover she's like "my dish is the best" blah-blah-blah. Yet she's never eaten real Chinese food? You know NOTHING. I'm waiting for her to fall on her ass.
and when she falls i hope its on me
Old 08-26-10, 02:44 PM

I think I'm dropping this one. One hour is enough, but I really don't have the time or interest to devote two hours to this show every week. It was already getting tiring with HK's two-hour blocks.

I still don't get the premise of this show. They aren't teaching these people ANYTHING. Everything that the contestants have done thus far has been from their own experience. I could even understand if the chefs give them a tutorial at the start and they they are free to use a certain technique to create a meal, but they aren't doing that either (I missed the first hour last night, so maybe they did it with the first challenge).

I'm so glad that Faruq is gone. I understand being excited, but he couldn't keep his mouth closed. It drove me crazy when he was spared last week and he kept yelling "WHAT!? WHAT!? WHAT!?" even while Ramsay was speaking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.