Covert Affairs -- "South Bound Suarez" -- 07/27/10

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "South Bound Suarez" -- 07/27/10

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Annie is tasked with getting close to Diego, a college student, in the hopes that his sister, Julia, will provide the CIA with intel on Victor Ponces, a corrupt Venezuelan government official. But when the CIA station agent looking into Ponces goes missing, Diego's trust in Annie means that she's going to have to finish the job, despite her inexperience.
Old 07-27-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Covert Affairs -- "South Bound Suarez" -- 07/27/10

Promo for this episode:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ums94tyQZxA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ums94tyQZxA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks like Navid from 90210 is moonlighting on here this week.
Old 07-27-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Just an FYI, this is episode 3 of 11

The season finale is scheduled for September 14th (2 hours)
Old 07-27-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show caught me by surprise, I thought I'd hate but it's pretty damn entertaining. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

DJariya, no White Collar thread?
Old 07-27-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Blu Man
This show caught me by surprise, I thought I'd hate but it's pretty damn entertaining. Looking forward to tonight's episode.

DJariya, no White Collar thread?
Fist of Doom already hooked you up there. Still on 1st page.
Old 07-28-10, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk God

So, I watched tonight's episode and it was pretty good. There wasn't alot of action in it, but the plot was more character-driven as Annie got to know the marks and eventually her target. Although, I don't think her relationship at the beginning of the episode with the Med student was established very well. It started out really abrupt and they seemed way too chummy for knowing each other 1 month?

Once things started moving and she went to South America to meet Julia, I think things actually picked up a few notches. I loved Julia's line to Annie...."He's only 20 years old and needs to study and not hang out with Cougars and their hot tubs" BTW, Lana Parilla is hot! It's too bad she can't get a stable TV series.

The driving test was pretty clever way for the target to determine if Annie had special training. I loved when she spun the car around and beat the shit out of the guy.

I like Peter Gallagher, but it was good to not see him in the episode. I liked seeing Joan in charge without distractions.

Next week looks good.
Old 07-29-10, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Great to see Lana Parilla again. Missed her since Swingtown. So hot. But she played a complete idiot in this episode.
Old 07-29-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Did anyone who watched this episode think that Piper Perabo spoke and displayed almost identical mannerisms to Jennifer Garner in Alias? She actually has some similarities to Garner, but is a little more voluptuous compared to her.

^^ I agree with Red Dog that Lana Parilla's character was a complete idiot.
Old 07-29-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, dude tried to have her strangled and she was crying over his dead body like it didnt happen.
Old 07-30-10, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
Yeah, dude tried to have her strangled and she was crying over his dead body like it didnt happen.
But she was in LOVE!!!!! Get it? No. I completely agree. It was a blatant attempt to pound us over the head with Annie's whirlwind relationship that she is still reeling from. Julia has the necklace, and Annie has the bracelet.
Old 07-30-10, 08:47 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Strike three, and it's out. I've given up on this show. Someone PM me if Perabo's character actually wears that white bikini in an episode.
Old 07-30-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did anyone who watched this episode think that Piper Perabo spoke and displayed almost identical mannerisms to Jennifer Garner in Alias?
I have been thinking that since the pilot episode. I am not that familiar with Piper Perabo (never saw Coyote Ugly and not sure what else she was in). But she has the same sort of vulnerability that Garner brought to Alias, and their voice and mannerisms seem identical to me. I am not sure if she is intentionally channeling Garner here, or that is how she usually acts.

What I found ridiculous about this episode is why the bad guy would go to all the risk of entering the United States just to kill the mistress? It seemed like he could have easily sent someone there to kill her. At this point, he knew that the CIA was on to him so it seemed dumb for him to go to the US. Especially since he told the mistress they were going to get on a plane and leave. Why would he need to do that?
Old 07-30-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
What I found ridiculous about this episode is why the bad guy would go to all the risk of entering the United States just to kill the mistress? It seemed like he could have easily sent someone there to kill her. At this point, he knew that the CIA was on to him so it seemed dumb for him to go to the US. Especially since he told the mistress they were going to get on a plane and leave. Why would he need to do that?
I thought the same thing. The CIA already had the accounts. He risked getting arrested or killed just for simple revenge killing. If he really wanted to have her whacked and needed to flush her out from CIA protection to do so, he didn't need to be there - he flushed her out over the phone.
Old 07-30-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Least believeable blind guy ever. Rutger Hauer was more convincing.

D
Old 07-30-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derrich
Least believeable blind guy ever. Rutger Hauer was more convincing.

D
Yep. One thing I think this show needs that Alias had is that Annie needs a partner out in the field. A more experienced agent to show her the ropes.

That was made apparent to me in the second episode when she was on assignment with the MI6 guy.

I think Auggie being blind and stuck in the lab really limits the options for the story. They should have cast some quirky actor in the blind lab-geek role and have Gorham be her field mentor (although he seems younger than she is).
Old 07-30-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yep. One thing I think this show needs that Alias had is that Annie needs a partner out in the field. A more experienced agent to show her the ropes.

That was made apparent to me in the second episode when she was on assignment with the MI6 guy.

I think Auggie being blind and stuck in the lab really limits the options for the story. They should have cast some quirky actor in the blind lab-geek role and have Gorham be her field mentor (although he seems younger than she is).
Yup, you pretty much nailed it there. I've been entertained by the show so far, but Annie does need a Dixon-type character to help/mentor her out in the field.
Old 07-31-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Strike three, and it's out. I've given up on this show. Someone PM me if Perabo's character actually wears that white bikini in an episode.
Yeah, that was a pretty shitty tease having her pack the bikini, and then never wear the damn thing --and I had lotion and kleenex at the ready!