DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 8 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/7/10-7/8/10) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/576147-sytycd-season-7-top-8-dance-results-show-7-7-10-7-8-10-a.html)

Goldberg74 07-07-10 08:33 AM

SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 8 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/7/10-7/8/10)

Episode Descriptions:

"The Top 9" - 7/7/10 - 2hrs - 8/7c
Referees at the World Cup may be incapable of admitting mistakes, but they could learn something from the SYTYCD judges, who basically came right out and said last Wednesday that they goofed by eliminating Cristina and keeping Melinda. Ouch! But Lauren's near-wardrobe malfunction and Alex's same-sex couch-dancing with Twitch really raised the bar for the performance shows, so it will be interesting to see if the Top 8 can clear it tonight.

"Results Show" - 7/8/10 - 1hr - 9/8c
Then tune-in Thursday as one dancer will be sent home during the live one-hour show.
And with that... here are your Top 8 America!

<div style="width: 535px; padding: 20px; margin: 10px auto; border: 1px solid #000; background: #fff; font-size: 0.8em; text-align: center;">http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/636...cast201007.jpg<br /><br />So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 Top 11 finalist - top row L-R: Lauren Froderman, Jose Ruiz, Adechike Torbert, <strike>Melinda Sullivan</strike>, Alex Wong, Kent Boyd and <strike>Alexie Agdeppa</strike>. Bottom row L-R: Billy Bell, <strike>Cristina Santana</strike>, Robert Roldan and Ashley Galvan</div>

The All-Stars (season/styles) are:
  1. Twitch (Season 4; Popping/Locking/Krump)
  2. Kathryn (Season 6; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)
  3. Pasha (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  4. Allison (Season 2; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)
  5. Ade (Season 5; Contemporary/Classical)
  6. Comfort (Season 4; Hip Hop/Krump)
  7. Lauren (Season 3; Hip Hop/Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway)
  8. Mark (Season 4; Jazz/Broadway/Cultural)
  9. Anya (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  10. Dominic (Season 3; Hip Hop/Breakdancing)
  11. Courtney (Season 4; Contemporary/Jazz)
  12. Neil (Season 3; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

Did not dance in the Top 9.

<fieldset style="width: 450px; margin: 10px auto;"><legend>SYTYCD Season 7 Threads</legend>
SYTYCD (Season 7) - 10 Dancers + 10 All-Stars (Begins 5/27/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - The Auditions Thread (5/27 & 6/2-3)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "Vegas + Green Mile" & "Meet The Top 10" (6/9-10/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 11 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/16-17/10) - Eliminated: Alexie Agdeppa
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 10 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/23-24/10) - Eliminated: Cristina Santana
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 9 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/30/10-7/1/10) - Eliminated: Melinda Sullivan
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 8 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/7/10-7/8/10)
</fieldset>

Goldberg74 07-07-10 08:39 AM

Re: SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 8 Dance" & "Results Show" (7/7/10-7/8/10)

One special thing about tonight's show.

Each dancer will perform two dances:
  • One with an All-Star
  • One with another contestant
So that's 12 dances tonight.

Heat 07-07-10 09:43 AM

I think that it's safe to say that a guy will be going home this week. My vote is for Robert.

Doug Heffernan 07-07-10 10:16 AM

I don't understand the logic of these polls - are we supposed to predict who is going home before we see them perform?

Goldberg74 07-07-10 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan (Post 10251763)
I don't understand the logic of these polls - are we supposed to predict who is going home before we see them perform?

In a perfect world? Yes.

On these forums? You can never tell. ;)

rfduncan 07-07-10 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan (Post 10251763)

Or you can wait and vote after tonight... just sayin'...

DRG 07-07-10 12:32 PM

As long as Ashley sticks around I'm good.

gryffinmaster 07-07-10 08:28 PM

Not digging the judges' calls this week, at all.

Spoiler:
Robert receives raves for an awkward performance where he freakin' dropped his partner on the ass, while Ade'chike infuses his Bollywood with a hint of African style and some incredible jump-splits -- and he gets trashed? A real shame.

Patman 07-07-10 10:19 PM

This was a little messy in terms of the pairings in this episode. It's too bad Alex blew out his Achilles tendon, he won't be dancing for a few months with that kind of injury, let's hope he doesn't lose some hops from such an injury.

Ashley - got 2 numbers out of her element, but was pretty good in both numbers, not spectacular, but solid. She didn't even get much critique in the 2nd number with the judges slobbering over themselves trying to save Robert.

Jose - got 2 numbers out of his element, and didn't really come through well in either one (bored me in the first one, and disappointed in his second number). He still gets too much praise at times from the judges. I think he was still overwhelmed by dancing with Lauren G to do it well.

Adechikie - gets too much conflicting "advice" from the judges, no wonder he's confused, but he's clearly not a judge's favorite, but since he gets votes, they haven't been able to boot him off the show yet. The first number as okay, though his bollywood number got a little out of control, and all the Alex love during Adechikie's critique by Mia was not cool.

Billy - got 1 number sort of in his wheelhouse, and 1 number not quite so. It was good to see Katie again dancing on the show, and their number together was solid, though the chemistry was average. Billy brought some contemporary strangeness in the afro-jazz number, pulling off moves only he can do (with Alex down for the count). But he had a good night.

Robert - the judges went too far out of their way to curry votes for him. I thought he botched a few moves in his first number with Kathryn, and did not quite nail the quick-step, which continues to be the death of dance for the contestants on this show year after year.

Lauren - had a real solid night, scored with her first number with Pasha, and made Shankman a little uncomfortable with her second number with Kent.

Kent - had a mushy first number with Comfort, but came back strong with the number with Lauren. I sort of like Kent from last week more, but he wasn't going to score points with the judges with so much mugging during his dances.

zuffy 07-07-10 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10252949)

Spoiler:
Robert receives raves for an awkward performance where he freakin' dropped his partner on the ass, while Ade'chike infuses his Bollywood with a hint of African style and some incredible jump-splits -- and he gets trashed? A real shame.

Spoiler:
not defending robert since I don't care for him but he did not drop his partner. Kathryn jumped and did not land properly

Ranger 07-07-10 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 10252018)
As long as Ashley sticks around I'm good.

Right on!

She did good with Dominic on hip-hop. The quickstep was well, quickstep. Kent and Lauren did fine together.

I thought Adechicke did good with Courtney on the jazz. The split-jumps in the bollywood dance were nice to watch but definitely did not belong in this dance. Didn't like last dance with Jose and Billy.

It'd really suck if Alex is out for the rest of the season. I think he's in the bottom 3 by default, maybe they will have a bottom 4 like in season 3 when Jessi got hurt. I say Robert leaves this week, Alex makes a miraculous recovery, and Billy is set up to leave next week.

DWilson 07-07-10 11:51 PM

According to dial.idol (which you always have to take with a grain of salt) Ashley, Alex, and Jose are at the bottom. Right after the show, Robert was in Alex's slot, but obviously, he's made some gains.

If that's how it actually goes down, than things might get tough tomorrow. Obviously, the judges really love Jose (and I'm glad Cat respectfully called them on it), and they really can't afford to lose another girl, and they'll fight to keep Alex if he's able. Of course, if Alex has to pull out next week (which would be a shame), they can bring back this week's loser.

magiccmom 07-08-10 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 10253326)
According to dial.idol (which you always have to take with a grain of salt) Ashley, Alex, and Jose are at the bottom. Right after the show, Robert was in Alex's slot, but obviously, he's made some gains.

If that's how it actually goes down, than things might get tough tomorrow. Obviously, the judges really love Jose (and I'm glad Cat respectfully called them on it), and they really can't afford to lose another girl, and they'll fight to keep Alex if he's able. Of course, if Alex has to pull out next week (which would be a shame), they can bring back this week's loser.

If Alex ruptured a tendon and the MRI shows that they should just let him go tonight. He will be out for a while and I think they would know that by now. I would be so disappointed, I loved watching him dance!~!
I would rather see Adecheke go before Robert. He dances the same in every number to me. I dont see any smolder in him when the number calls for seduction, it's just awkward. I think he overdanced the bollywood number. But I do agree with Cat, it's not fair to call him out when Jose danced it in his own special way and they loved it.
Lauren is really impressing me. She had the best night IMO last night. My top three would be Alex *fingers crossed, Kent and Lauren. If not Alex then Ashley. I would love to see a Robert/Mark number. That would be pretty cool.

JuryDuty 07-08-10 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10252949)

Spoiler:

I totally agree. That seemed a bit strange...

JuryDuty 07-08-10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 10253326)

I would hope this isn't true. Ashley and Jose have so much more going for them than several of these other dancers.

I'll be bummed if Alex is out--he should have taken the show to the end if he'd stayed in. I think they'll know the verdict before tonight's broadcast and eliminate him if he's hurt rather than make a hard decision.

If I had to choose a final four (without Alex), I'd think it would be Ashley, Lauren, Jose and Kent. But if this poll is right, I'm way off.

Heat 07-08-10 01:35 PM

After seeing Dialidol's prediction, and assuming that Ashley and Jose really are the two dancers in the bottom 3 with Alex, Alex will go home.

I hate to see him go but if his injury is as bad as people are saying, he won't be able to dance at full strengh by this weekend to get ready for next week's show. So cut him now.

Patman 07-08-10 05:24 PM

Did anyone actually watch the footage of when Alex hurt himself? I decided not to watch it (I've been scarred for life by the footage from Lawrence Taylor giving Joe Theisman a compound fracture on Monday Night Football almost a quarter of a century ago).

gryffinmaster 07-08-10 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10254953)
Did anyone actually watch the footage of when Alex hurt himself? I decided not to watch it (I've been scarred for life by the footage from Lawrence Taylor giving Joe Theisman a compound fracture on Monday Night Football almost a quarter of a century ago).

All I could find was this news broadcast. Nothing unsightly really, just Alex doing the splits and coming down in pain.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kAjm4Pa6Qk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kAjm4Pa6Qk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ranger 07-08-10 10:08 PM

How does that saying go, the brighter the star the shorter it lasts?

Felt so bad for Alex, he gave up his job to get on the show. And sure they say they'll let him come back next season, but I don't know if there will be a next season. Honestly, I don't know if I want another season. This season is really sucking now.

Bullshit that Ashley got in the bottom 3.

JuryDuty 07-08-10 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10254953)

I saw what they aired (pretty much what's in the video above), but you don't see anything other than a quizzical look from Alex.

SO sad to see him go. I think he could have won this thing, and rightfully so.

The only good news to come out of it is that it's anyone's game now.

But what's with America putting Ashley up?! I think she's been far more consistently better than many of the others remaining.

Oh, and Mia Michaels BETTER apologize to Adechike. She was just mean. :P

Heat 07-08-10 11:06 PM

So... Billy Bell and Ashley were in the Bottom 3, and Alex was by default since he was injured and didn't perform. Alex was sent home because he can't dance for a few more months, minimum.

I missed the show tonight, at what point did they say that Alex was eliminated? That is, did Billy Bell and Ashley have to "dance for their lives" then the judges said that Alex was the one who was going home?

Patman 07-08-10 11:58 PM

Yeah, the judges made the other 2 dance for their lives, and then at the very end, Nigel revealed that they knew late last night the results of the MRI, which revealed a lacerated achilles tendon for Alex, so he's out for at least 3 months, and will have the surgery in a few days. So, it was pretty bogus that the judges/producers made Billy and Ashley dance when they knew neither was going home. But they have an hour to fill, so the show must go on.

Merkin Muffley 07-09-10 09:40 AM

It should have been you, Billy Bell. It should have been you.

TimeandTide 07-09-10 06:33 PM

Loved how Cat called the judges out on their BS, conflicting and way too harsh assessment of Adechike's Bollywood number. Mia's awkward, stutter-y reply was awesome and Adam looked like he wanted to kick the shit out of Cat.

Patman 07-10-10 12:04 AM

Was anyone disturbed by Nigel calling out Domenic pawing Cat?