Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Persons Unknown -- "The Edge" -- 06/14/10

Persons Unknown

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While the group attempts to understand why they were kidnapped, Moira (Tina Holmes) painfully removes the implant device that has been embedded in each person's thigh. Elsewhere, trying to escape back to their normal lives, Joe (Jason Wiles) and McNair (Chadwick Boseman) carefully test the limits of the invisible fence. Meanwhile, back in San Francisco, curious reporter Renbe's (Gerald Kyd) search for information on missing mom Janet (Daisy Betts) hits a dead end.

Episode 2 of 13

Good start after episode 1. They set up an interesting premise and left me as a viewer wanting to know more.

Again, if you missed the Pilot last week it's online:

http://www.hulu.com/persons-unknown-tv
Old 06-14-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Persons Unknown -- "The Edge" -- 06/14/10

I was left interested after the pilot, so I'll continue watching.
Old 06-14-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished watching the first ep and I really liked it. Reminded me of a Stephen King miniseries, which I'm a sucker for. It seems like something that should run about six episodes, so we'll see how well it will stretch out over thirteen.

Does anyone else think the lead guy is a dead ringer for Christian Bale?
Old 06-14-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

We loved the premiere. Looking forward to this and coming episodes!
Old 06-14-10, 11:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Same here. I'll be tuning in tonight (even though I was not completely sold on the pilot).
Old 06-14-10, 11:41 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

In for another one.
Old 06-15-10, 10:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I DVR'd it and will catch it this weekend. For those that watched, how was it?
Old 06-15-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess most people here are like me -- DVR'd it and will get to it later this week.
Old 06-15-10, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't watched this weeks ep. yet but did notice NBC is skipping next weeks ep. for some fireworks show and they haven't scheduled a replay for it throughout the week either. The show will resume for me on ep. 4. And they wonder why we turn to "other means" to get our shows.
Old 06-15-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I DVR'd it and will catch it this weekend. For those that watched, how was it?
It was pretty much like the Pilot. I liked it, but some might be getting frustrated with it.
Old 06-15-10, 03:25 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I haven't watched this weeks ep. yet but did notice NBC is skipping next weeks ep. for some fireworks show and they haven't scheduled a replay for it throughout the week either. The show will resume for me on ep. 4. And they wonder why we turn to "other means" to get our shows.
Is that just your local affiliate? NBC.com says it is airing on the 21st as planned.
http://www.nbc.com/schedule/
Old 06-15-10, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, just my local affiliate. My Tivo is reporting some 3 hour Target fireworks special for next Monday from 8-11pm eastern.

I did notice Comcast has this On Demand so hopefully I'll be able to just watch it there shortly after it airs.
Old 06-15-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
Yep, just my local affiliate. My Tivo is reporting some 3 hour Target fireworks special for next Monday from 8-11pm eastern.

I did notice Comcast has this On Demand so hopefully I'll be able to just watch it there shortly after it airs.
Usually WDIV rebroadcasts at like 3AM when they preempt prime time. I've searched listings and haven't found it, so I sent them an e-mail today. No response yet.

Edit: No response to my e-mail but TitanTV now shows it 2-3 AM, Wed., June 23.

Last edited by OldDude; 06-17-10 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Watched this episode tonight.

I liked it. It took more of a "Twilight Zone" spin, especially with the invisible force field surrounding the town and when the group tried escaping and ended up back in the town again. I can see how this series was originally developed for the SyFy Channel.

I knew the Night Manager was full of shit and wasn't a victim like them. Obviously now they aren't going to get any answers from him.

Did those people in the group seriously believe that Moira was a Psychiatrist?

I'm not sure I quite get what transpired with the reporter. He tries getting some information about Janet and then someone involved with the people behind the kidnapping steals it from him? Well, at least he gets laid.

I want to know what's up with this whacked town. I'm in untiil the series finale.
Old 06-16-10, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Did those people in the group seriously believe that Moira was a Psychiatrist?
She has me suspicious...first, she was the only one who didn't show her implant in episode 1 and second, who took her implant out (assuming she had one)??
Old 06-16-10, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am liking this show and I am not sure why. Although, the underwear camera dance scene could have had something to do with it.
Old 06-16-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not sure I quite get what transpired with the reporter. He tries getting some information about Janet and then someone involved with the people behind the kidnapping steals it from him? Well, at least he gets laid.
That guy that roughed him up and took the information was the same detective that Janet was talking to in the first episode before she got taken. He was trying to find her husband. I sort of thought that he was now working for Janet's mother since a lot of the information mentioned were in reference to her tainted past (including absuive mother).

I will say that the bright light that brought them right back to the town certainly changed the game for me. What the hell is going on?!
Old 06-16-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
That guy that roughed him up and took the information was the same detective that Janet was talking to in the first episode before she got taken. He was trying to find her husband. I sort of thought that he was now working for Janet's mother since a lot of the information mentioned were in reference to her tainted past (including absuive mother).

I will say that the bright light that brought them right back to the town certainly changed the game for me. What the hell is going on?!
I am calling the mother a red herring. She appeared to be genuine during the phone call with the daughter.

The bright light jump could have been creative editing. Bright light, they black out and are taken back to town and setup in the van.
Old 06-16-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ayre
I am calling the mother a red herring. She appeared to be genuine during the phone call with the daughter.
Perhaps, but she was also a passive-aggressive mega-bitch to her 6 year-old granddaughter about the missing puzzle pieces (like she was working on a 1000+ piece puzzle and figured out there were missing pieces in the DAY the granddaughter has been there?!?!).

The bright light jump could have been creative editing. Bright light, they black out and are taken back to town and setup in the van.
Not buying it. People don't just "black out". And they've all removed that remote-controlled ampule that does that. If that were the case, why wouldn't they have been shown as groggy? In fact Janet was still in the exact same position when they got to the "Welcome Back!" sign, gripping the wheel to make Blackham continue into the bright light. You can't just leave a bit like that out...
Old 06-16-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not buying it. People don't just "black out". And they've all removed that remote-controlled ampule that does that. If that were the case, why wouldn't they have been shown as groggy? In fact Janet was still in the exact same position when they got to the "Welcome Back!" sign, gripping the wheel to make Blackham continue into the bright light. You can't just leave a bit like that out...
Then we are talking teleportation, which is a little far fetched for a series grounded in "today" or ackkkk a Matrix type virtual reality. If they wake up in a lab somewhere, I am gonna be pissed.

BTW the female leads microwave facial injuries cleared up half way through the episode. I thought it was a continuity error, but maybe not.
Old 06-16-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW the female leads microwave facial injuries cleared up half way through the episode. I thought it was a continuity error, but maybe not.
A continuity error I'd believe. After all in the "previously on" segment, they showed Janet reading her fortune which was one single line on the slip of paper, but when she checked it again in this episode, it was split into two lines. So who knows?
Old 06-16-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wormholes! This show just left the land of the here and now and landed deep in the heart of scifi territory.

Just a little nitpick but the continuity director on this series should have been fired. The fortune cookie messages kept changing in every shot. The "y" in "you" is capitalized in one shot, then not, then capitalized again. (I noticed this because I thought it was odd that "You" was capitalized in mid-sentence.) The message to our heroine (whats-her-name) is all on one line in one shot, two lines in the next. There were a few other things as well but I can't remember now.

[Edit] Oops -- just read the whole thread and see someone beat me to it. And yes, the face was the other thing I couldn't remember.

Last edited by Flave; 06-16-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 12:13 PM

Did anyone else find it disturbing that Tori chose to dance topless for the surveillance camera, while every other time she has addressed the camera she states her belief that her father is the one watching them?
Old 06-16-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

At 1st I thought Janet's mother may be involved, but I agree I'm not so sure now. Now I'm wondering how Janet's daughter made that garbled phone call to her.

^^ Wasn't that scene before Tori assumed her father was behind it? Nah, I don't think it was disturbing.

Yeah I agree the continuity errors were hilarious.
Old 06-16-10, 05:57 PM

I thought that the road just circled around and brought them back to the town. In the confusion and the storm they wouldn't have noticed that they were circling around. The bright light was there to block the view of the town so they wouldn't know they were going back until they got there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.