Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "What They Died For" -- 18.05.10

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts
Re: Lost -- "What They Died For" -- 18.05.10

I don't need every little detail explained to me. But some of the little details are annoying because they highlight the fact that the motivations of a lot of the characters/factions seem to be inconsistent throughout the show. It's hard for me to remember all the details as I haven't seen most of seasons 4 and 5 since they originally aired, but for example, what exactly has been the Others' goal all this time? Presumably they are disciples of Jacob and are helping to protect the island. But if that's the case, why kidnap children? Why shoot down random survivors with flaming arrows? Why the constant terrorizing of the crash victims when Jacob's whole mission statement is about finding the good in people? There are other examples like why does the smoke monster kill people (Eko for example) when supposedly all it wants is to find someone who will kill Jacob and get off the island?

In the end, I guess I just want to be able to map out the events of the series in a logical way. If I'm rewatching the series and there are moments that are still unexplained, I can deal. Stuff like why do the Oceanic 6 have to recreate the original flight as best they can in order to get back? That doesn't make any sense at all but I'll go on faith that there is a reason. But if there are moments when I'm openly questioning why characters would make certain choices that in retrospect conflict with what we eventually learn about them? That I have a problem with. I guess we'll see.
Old 05-18-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Presumably they are disciples of Jacob and are helping to protect the island. But if that's the case, why kidnap children?
My guess on this is that it would be preferable to groom a candidate/replacement from a young age... at birth if possible. Since there seems to be problems with birthing on the island, if you get a young person on the island, they become a person of interest automatically.

Some people seem to have a natural connection to the Island (Walt, original Locke, the MiB as a boy). I'm sure the hope was for a person like that to be groomed as early as possible to take over. Things just didn't go as planned.

I'm thinking since Jacob wasn't the Mother's first choice as a protector, he's probably done a colossal job of screwing things up.
Old 05-18-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll make a run at some of these (just theories).

1. The others thought they were doing Jacob's bidding, but they were in fact following MIB. Thus the terrorizing of the losties. The electromagnetism made having children a problem, so they had to kidnap kids to replenish their ranks. Ben said mothers die in childbirth. I'm guessing Jacob and MIB's mother was able to give birth because the light had not been corrupted yet.

2. I'm guessing that smokie killed the non-candidates because he could. He can't kill the candidates according to Jacob's rules. He had to influence them to kill each other, so he left them alive."
Old 05-18-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by hardercore
concur. can a mod change that to 05.18.10? for some reason we are still unable to edit thread titles here on this board, even for reasons legit.
I thought you were trying to make the date formatted like that to satisfy our international posters.
Old 05-18-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by XavierMike

1. The others thought they were doing Jacob's bidding, but they were in fact following MIB. Thus the terrorizing of the losties. The electromagnetism made having children a problem, so they had to kidnap kids to replenish their ranks. Ben said mothers die in childbirth. I'm guessing Jacob and MIB's mother was able to give birth because the light had not been corrupted yet.

2. I'm guessing that smokie killed the non-candidates because he could. He can't kill the candidates according to Jacob's rules. He had to influence them to kill each other, so he left them alive."
Why were women in the 1970's able to have babies on the island?
Old 05-18-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Can't wait...

...for tonight's episode of Justified.
Old 05-18-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
Likely because what was holding the electromagnetic charge back hadn't been punctured yet.
Old 05-18-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
[sarcasm]Oh, Team Darlton has a specific answer for that, but there just isn't time to go into it and it doesn't fit with direction of the finale.[/sarcasm]
Old 05-18-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've heard from some reports from an early screening of this episode (it happened Thurs. at UCLA) that
Spoiler:
Ben and Desmond are major players in this episode.

Needless to say, I'm a little more excited now.
Old 05-18-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I've heard from some reports from an early screening of this episode (it happened Thurs. at UCLA) that
Spoiler:
Ben and Desmond are major players in this episode.

Needless to say, I'm a little more excited now.
Why did I click that!?! I thought for sure he would make it to the end!
Old 05-18-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack dies AGAIN? Fucker can't stay alive, can he?
Old 05-18-10, 02:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Shazam, please spoilerize your post. Even though it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, the death of that character is not known to those who have managed to to remain spoiler-free.
Old 05-18-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Major spoiler for tonight:

Spoiler:
Carlton Cuse dies in a mysterious Donkey Wheel accident. Michelle Rodriguez chuckles.
Old 05-18-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I assumed having babies on the island was impossible because it could time travel thus creating a paradox of conception / existence. Oh who the fuck knows -- I know the writers don't.
Old 05-18-10, 03:14 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good luck to those residing in a state holding a primary today! Hope your local affillate doesn't mess with ya too much.
Old 05-18-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really hoping Shazam was joking - otherwise I will be pissed - I've avoided all spoilers and just wanted to see the usual pre-episode hype/bashing here...
Old 05-18-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by AJW
Good luck to those residing in a state holding a primary today! Hope your local affillate doesn't mess with ya too much.
I'm dreading it.
Old 05-18-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think time travel wasn't apart of the island until the bomb went off. I think that released the negative energy and screwed with time, having kids, etc. In a way this is a nice parallel between Jack and Jacob. Each one is mostly good, but screwed up royally causing the island to go haywire, thus motivating them to stay on the island and protect it-to amend for their mistake. Jacob killed his brother corrupting the light, and Jack detonated a bomb screwing everything up.

Just more thoughts. I haven't read any spoilers, but I expect to be completely wrong.
Old 05-18-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

That would make sense except that Richard was in communication with Jacob. I know Jacob supposedly doesn't want to interfere, but I feel like he might mention to Richard that terrorizing a bunch of people and stealing their kids was not a good idea if in fact MIB was the one tellling them to do it.

This brings up the issue of motivation again. One of the reasons some fans have sympathized with MIB is that he doesn't seem like a "bad" guy. He just has a very specific goal (to get off the island) and the only real conflict he has with anyone is when someone gets in the way of that goal. Since the season 5 finale when Jacob and MIB's true forms were revealed to us, I don't think we've seen him do anything just out of pure evilness. So why kill the pilot or Eko or any of the other random characters we've seen him kill?
Old 05-18-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just tell me WHO SHOT FROGURT!!!!!!!!!
Whoever it was ... deserves a medal. Maybe a high-five. Possibly a "good job, buddy!"
Old 05-18-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've waited three seasons to find out what Nikki and Paulo died for! O boy o boy!

Anyway, I'm thinking the title refers to Jacob's family and the island's light.
Old 05-18-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty sweet t-shirt design over at www.teefury.com. Only about 7 hours left to order if interested...

Old 05-18-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered one.
Old 05-18-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait for another shit episode. Thank God it's ending. Good riddance. I'm going to steer clear of anything remotely associated with that cocky fuck Damon L. from here on out.
Old 05-18-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
pretty sweet t-shirt design over at www.teefury.com. Only about 7 hours left to order if interested...

Hah! I just came here to post this, I've bought a couple of the lost tees from them so far. But this is easily the best one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.