Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost....can the final episodes ruin the entire series?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost....can the final episodes ruin the entire series?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Lost....can the final episodes ruin the entire series?

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Terry O'Quinn ruined the finale!!!
And remember the island runs in the same cycle!
Old 05-15-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Yes, he say's he's a fake, but remember what happened to his daughter...
He did say he was a fake but he still saw something which is why he sent Claire on the plane knowing it would crash thinking her and the baby would die.
Old 05-15-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

It isn't just the last few episodes for me. I've thought this whole season was pretty weak.
Old 05-15-10, 06:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

^Same here (with the exception of an episode or two).
Old 05-15-10, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny, but I told my business partner a week before this season aired that I was going to go back and re-watch all the previous seasons, even though I 'd just done that a year ago, because: "What if the final season is so bad it ruins the entire experience. This could be my last chance to enjoy the entire series."

He told me that was ridiculous.

Personally, I've enjoyed this season, but he's found it to be just awful.
Old 05-15-10, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Yes it is. They encouraged it by raising these issues. I agree that not everything on that list needs an answer, and I think some of them we even have answers for. The creators of this show absolutely led us to the explanation that they were creating a sophisticated mystery and that, when the number of episodes left was set, that they would bring us to a satisfying conclusion. They were full of shit.

That's a huge cop-out. A huge one. The way these people "answer" questions leads to that happening, but there are ways of answering questions without raising 10 more.
Agreed...100%. I'm not watching a Stanley Kubrick film here. I've spend countless hours watching Lost and in the end I'd like to be able to say what the show was actually about.
Old 05-15-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Agreed...100%. I'm not watching a Stanley Kubrick film here. I've spend countless hours watching Lost and in the end I'd like to be able to say what the show was actually about.
Light and dark, winners and losers, broken families and bad hairdos.
Old 05-15-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I am not going to whine about questions not being answered until the series ends. Come on...we have three and a half hours left. One episode gives vague answers and everybody is saying the entire series is ruined? I think some people need some perspective.
Kind of a shame they waited until the last possible second to address stuff that's been floating around unanswered since Season 1, don't you think?
Old 05-15-10, 07:19 PM

My expectations could not be lower. I am totally convinced due to this last episode and the interviews with them tells me they simply do not give a fuck. So much shit has happened that needs to be answered and I know will simply not:

- Walt (yeah, he hit puberty, so what. The kid was THE focus of the first 2season)
- Ben calling the Smoke Monster to help defend the compound. Am I the only that remembered this? It now makes no sense.
- Desmond waking up naked in the woods
- Others stealing kids and behaving like zombies in the first few seasons
- etc, etc

There are some questions I do not need answered (Locke being able to walk for example). These questions however (specifically tying it back to the first seasons) need to be answered. As I mentioned elsewhere, it is like the producers created a totally different show from Season 4 onward. They went from making shit up as they go to all of a sudden having a masterplan. This show could have ended great like Six Feet Under or the Wire but they have decided to model their series after the Sopranos which does not leave me hoping for the best.
Old 05-15-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually liked last week's episode. I'm also sort of tired of people with a "checklist" of questions that they DEMAND answers for or "the series sucks". Get over yourself. Half of the pleasure of the series is the fun in getting there. Oh well, we don't know every little answer. I'd like to think that this is intentional to get people to discuss their theories for years to come.
Old 05-15-10, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by thebunk
- Ben calling the Smoke Monster to help defend the compound. Am I the only that remembered this? It now makes no sense.
The MiB's ultimate plan involved getting Ben to kill Jacob. Perhaps letting Ben think he was in a position of power to control the smoke monster was just a part of bringing that plan to fruition. Not much of a stretch IMO given Ben's eventual motivation for killing Jacob.

- Others stealing kids and behaving like zombies in the first few seasons
Isn't the stealing kids part just because they can't have kids of their own and need to keep their society going somehow? I haven't really been expecting them to come back to that since the infertility/death during pregnancy issue was brought up in season 3 (although I suppose a concrete explanation for that would be nice).
Old 05-15-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

My expectations for the final hours are very low, given what we have already seen this season. The general lack of answers, and unsatisfactory nature of the ones they have deemed important enough to reveal, lead me to believe most of the big questions will not be answered in any shape. The writers obviously were making things up as they went along, even after the supposed "masterplan" came into form after setting the end date with ABC. Because of that, they just decided to skip answering most of the questions this season, as they saw it was impossible to give credible solutions to the knotty continuity of the first five seasons.

Since I already own the first five seasons on Blu-ray, I feel in no rush to go out and get the sixth season when it comes out. That would have been unthinkable to me a few months ago.
Old 05-15-10, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by huh?
I actually liked last week's episode. I'm also sort of tired of people with a "checklist" of questions that they DEMAND answers for or "the series sucks". Get over yourself. Half of the pleasure of the series is the fun in getting there. Oh well, we don't know every little answer. I'd like to think that this is intentional to get people to discuss their theories for years to come.
And I am sick of the fanboys with rose-colored glasses coming in here with the same old "they owe us nothing spiel".

Listen, as much as C&L state that this is a show about characters (which it is), it is also a series smack dab in the mystery genre. What good would mysteries be without the answers.

As I said before, I do not need answers to all of the questions on my so called checklist. I just want things to make coherent sense. From Season 1 to Season 6. I want to know that all of the time I have invested in this series has been worth and was not a waste of time. Based on the last few episodes and the recent interviews, I have little hope for the conclusion and how this series will look for a second time. There are just too many plot holes, too many fly by the seat of their pants and too many missed opportunities.
Old 05-15-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

I still believe it would have been better as full seasons and not shortened. This weeks episode and Richard's episode coulda been multi-part episodes.

Didn't the writers say a while back that they wrote a STATUE episode but ABC thought it was too weird so they axed it... ?
Old 05-15-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
I still believe it would have been better as full seasons and not shortened. This weeks episode and Richard's episode coulda been multi-part episodes.

Didn't the writers say a while back that they wrote a STATUE episode but ABC thought it was too weird so they axed it... ?
Actually this last episode would have been better as flashbacks interspersed throughout this season or as an early season episode.
Old 05-15-10, 11:56 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have any checklist of questions I must have answered. It's C&L's story to tell and conclude their way and I've enjoyed most of the ride.

The only way the finale can ruin the series for me is if Claire and Aaron don't leave the island by helicopter
Old 05-16-10, 01:27 AM

And I am sick of the fanboys with rose-colored glasses coming in here with the same old "they owe us nothing spiel".

Listen, as much as C&L state that this is a show about characters (which it is), it is also a series smack dab in the mystery genre. What good would mysteries be without the answers.

As I said before, I do not need answers to all of the questions on my so called checklist. I just want things to make coherent sense. From Season 1 to Season 6. I want to know that all of the time I have invested in this series has been worth and was not a waste of time. Based on the last few episodes and the recent interviews, I have little hope for the conclusion and how this series will look for a second time. There are just too many plot holes, too many fly by the seat of their pants and too many missed opportunities.
Could not have said it better myself.
Someone mentioned that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko) wants nothing to do with the show. What is the story behind this?
I also remember reading awhile back on here that the writers said everything that happens in Lost can be explained through science....lol.
Old 05-16-10, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Philip Reuben
The MiB's ultimate plan involved getting Ben to kill Jacob. Perhaps letting Ben think he was in a position of power to control the smoke monster was just a part of bringing that plan to fruition. Not much of a stretch IMO given Ben's eventual motivation for killing Jacob.
Speculation.

Originally Posted by Philip Reuben
Isn't the stealing kids part just because they can't have kids of their own and need to keep their society going somehow? I haven't really been expecting them to come back to that since the infertility/death during pregnancy issue was brought up in season 3 (although I suppose a concrete explanation for that would be nice).
Speculation, again.

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-16-10 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 01:35 AM

Hey that was just a short list of some unanswered questions up to season 3. I dont "demand" answers so don't exaggerate. I dont remember reading anything about anyone saying the series sucks either. Lost is probably my favorite show of all time.
Right, we dont know "every little answer"...we dont know every BIG answer either, so you get over yourself. Thanks buddy boy.
Oh, and btw, the only thing done intentionally was creating a mystery show so far fetched that viewers would be intrigued to watch every week.
Old 05-16-10, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could not have said it better myself.
Someone mentioned that Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Mr. Eko) wants nothing to do with the show. What is the story behind this?
I also remember reading awhile back on here that the writers said everything that happens in Lost can be explained through science....lol.
He asked to be killed off, as I understand it not only so he could return to London but so he wouldn't be coming back. I seem to recall reports at the time indicating he just didn't mesh well with anybody. I'd assume that means creatively since he never struck me as having personal issues with anybody anywhere else I have seen him.
Old 05-16-10, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's thinking like this that make the writers think they can get away with not telling us anything.
And it's thinking like yours that sucks the fun out of everything. So there.
There are major mysteries that remain unanswered.
You think? Because, you know, they wouldn't want to save anything for the finale episodes.
Old 05-16-10, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's funny is, I'm not even a "fanboy". I don't read blogs, spoilers, etc. I don't even watch the "scenes from the next LOST" at the end of each show. I just enjoy watching it. I'm not expecting all of those questions to be answered. The ambiguity is intentional I'm sure. I can't tell you how many people have "their own" list of questions they NEED answered I have spoken to in the last few weeks. They don't owe these to you or anyone. They are going to end it on their terms. If that's not clear to you, then you are most certainly going to be let down by the finale.
Old 05-16-10, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey that was just a short list of some unanswered questions up to season 3. I dont "demand" answers so don't exaggerate. I dont remember reading anything about anyone saying the series sucks either. Lost is probably my favorite show of all time.
Right, we dont know "every little answer"...we dont know every BIG answer either, so you get over yourself. Thanks buddy boy.
Oh, and btw, the only thing done intentionally was creating a mystery show so far fetched that viewers would be intrigued to watch every week.
So, wait. I'm confused, were you the one speculating that the entire series could be ruined because of the lack of answers. I could have sworn you even started a thread about it.
Old 05-16-10, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So who's the one holding a gun to your head to make you watch? That's what I don't understand. Stop watching then. No one is forcing you. Either you are enjoying it or you aren't.
Old 05-16-10, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So back to the original question. Would you continue to watch Lost once it ends (syndication, DVD, etc) knowing the majority of the shows mysteries will REMAIN mysteries ????
That depends on which mysteries go unsolved, and how satisfying the reveals are on the ones that are answered. But considering I still watch the X-Files from time to time -- and it was never as coherent as Lost and ended absolutely miserably -- yeah, I'll probably watch my favorites again, regardless of what happens in the finale.

I'd like to think that this is intentional to get people to discuss their theories for years to come.
Absolutely.

That said, I don't think there's as many "unanswered" questions in this thread as some are acting. I'd say that many of the questions presented in this thread have been answered implicitly and simply require some critical thinking; or are so trivial that they don't require an answer at all -- specifically the question of the polar bear and shark.

Last edited by ultimaton; 05-16-10 at 06:34 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.