Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Lost....can the final episodes ruin the entire series?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-15-10, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Before season 6 started, I re-watched the entire series and enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time. However, if the remaining episodes are as bad as the last episode aired (Across the Sea), and continue to give ridiculous, trivial answers to important questions (what the whispers are, the donkey wheel, etc), I dont think I'd watch an episode of Lost again and definitely not buy the complete series on BR like I planned.

Awhile back I posted a list of unanswered questions up to season 3. Obviously there have been many more questions and even less answers since then. I've read alot of people on here saying "everything i wanted to know has pretty much been answered", or, complaining about others wanting to be "spoonfed" the answers. But really, how many of the mysteries have truly been solved ?????

Here's the list....

-How is Locke able to walk and Rose is free of cancer once they crash onto the isalnd?
NO ANSWER

- Why does the psychic warn Claire that evil surrounds her baby and she must be the only one to raise it? NO ANSWER

- What are "the whispers"?
Dead people that can't move on? BARELY an answer....trivial.

- What exactly is Rousseau referring to in season one when she tells Sayid about the sickness that made her team "Lost"? She also tells Sayid to watch his people "closely" before he goes back to them.
I guess when she said "sickness" she could be referring to how MIB takes over someones soul like he did Sayid and Claire. Again, NOT a definite answer.

- Who were the skeletons in the cave in season one and what were the white and black stones Jack took from them?
Mother and brother. Solid answer #1

- Did the island make it possible for the 46 Losties to survive the plane crash?
No answer...maybe Jacob did?

-Who is Jacob?
Well, he's a guy that lives in a statue who will not let the smoke monster aka Flocke leave the island who is the protector of "the light that everyman wants" who likes to bring candidates to the island to take his job. Why? Maybe he's tired of doing the same job for thousands of years.

- Is there any significance to the connections between these people and events?

-Boone & Sawyer in the police station.
-Jack's father and Sawyer in the bar in Australia
-Locke working for Hurley's box company
-Jack and Desmond in the stadium
-Shannon's father and Jack's wife in the same car wreck
-Eko's brothers plane crashing on the island
-Kelvin and Sayid
-Ana Lucia and Jack's father
-Ana Lucia, Jack's father & Sawyer (Jack's father briefly running into Sawyer when Jacks father opens the car door)
-the psychic that Claire met and later on Mr. Eko spoke to about his daughter's miracle
-Desmond and Libby meeting in the coffee shop
-Desmond and Charlie on the street
-Jack and Claire being stepbrother/stepsister
-Cassidey (women Sawyer conned) and Kate
-Charlie and Desmond meeting on the street
-Charlie and Nadia

No answer to this one either really. I would guess Jacob brought them together but not all of them are candidates so who knows?

- Where did the Polar bear/shark with Dharma logo come from ?
All we know is they had to do with an experiment from Dharma.

- Does Walt have some kind of powers and why did the others want to take him? NO ANSWER

- Do Hurley's numbers have any significance to the story ?
Obviously they do....no solid answer though. We do know they refer to the candidates.

- Who started the black smoke fire at the end of season 1 and why?
Was this one answered? I dont remember.

- When Rousseau steals Clarie's baby, she mentions she heard the others whispering they were coming for the boy thinking they were referring to the baby. Later on, the others kidnap Walt. Could this mean the others and the whispers are connected ?
No they are not.

- Why is Claire seeing Walt when he's not really there?
MIB black maybe? No answer.

- What made the blast doors in the swan close in season 2 ?
No answer.

- Why does the Dr. in the Dharma orientation videos use different names (Mark Whickman, Edgar Halowax, Marvin Candle) ...and they all relate to candles?
NO ANSWER

- What is the map with the question mark that Locke found ?
Obviously a map of the island. Whats the question mark? Dont think they revealed that one either.

- What is the four toed statue?
It is where Jacob lives. It is where the Black Rock crashed. Who built it? What is it? NO ANSWER.

- Why did Desmond wake up in the jungle naked ?
NO ANSWER

- Where is the food that is dropped on the island coming from if no one ever sees the plane drop it ?
NO ANSWER

- Who is the lady in the jewelery store and how can she see the future?
She is Eloise Hawking. How can she see the future?...NO ANSWER.

- How can Desmond see the future?
NO ANSWER

- Why did the smoke monster spare Eko the first time but kill him the second?
NO ANSWER

- Why did Richard look the same age as he is now when Ben ran into him in the jungle as a child?
SOLID ANSWER #2. Jacob "made" him that way. How Jacob gained the power to give someone the gift of never aging? NO ANSWER!

- Why did Jacob say "help me" to Locke and why did Locke hear him and not Ben ?
Well, we still dont even know if that was Jacob or not. Ben stated he was "fooling" Locke and no one was really there.

You get my point....and again, these questions are only for the first 3 seasons!

So back to the original question. Would you continue to watch Lost once it ends (syndication, DVD, etc) knowing the majority of the shows mysteries will REMAIN mysteries ????

Last edited by JZ1276; 05-15-10 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost....can the final episodes ruin the entire series?

I don't need every little detail spelled out for me in bold face, like it is in an Oliver Stone movie. I enjoy having broad strokes that allow me to fill in some of the finer details with my imagination. It's called "interpretation."
Old 05-15-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

If they answered those questions, it would just lead to more questions.
Old 05-15-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

To answer your question...yes, the final episodes could ruin the entire series. I don't need all the answers to the questions you posed but I do want a satisfactory conclusion, otherwise this journey will be a huge disappointment. I usually don't feel that way about series finales but this show has been building towards this moment since the first season. I don't know how they're going to do it, but they need something mind-blowing to end it, not just the emotional good-byes that I think the episodes will be full of.

Also, just looking at your list of questions, most of them are so trivial that the show would be bogged down just trying to create answers. Some things are better left unanswered. It's not the writers fault that the fans look at everything as being significant.
Old 05-15-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's Magick...
Old 05-15-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
Also, just looking at your list of questions, most of them are so trivial that the show would be bogged down just trying to create answers. Some things are better left unanswered. It's not the writers fault that the fans look at everything as being significant.
Yes it is. They encouraged it by raising these issues. I agree that not everything on that list needs an answer, and I think some of them we even have answers for. The creators of this show absolutely led us to the explanation that they were creating a sophisticated mystery and that, when the number of episodes left was set, that they would bring us to a satisfying conclusion. They were full of shit.

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
If they answered those questions, it would just lead to more questions.
That's a huge cop-out. A huge one. The way these people "answer" questions leads to that happening, but there are ways of answering questions without raising 10 more.
Old 05-15-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to give my input on some of these things...

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
-How is Locke able to walk and Rose is free of cancer once they crash onto the isalnd?
NO ANSWER
I think it's clear that the answer here is the glowy cave.

- Why does the psychic warn Claire that evil surrounds her baby and she must be the only one to raise it? NO ANSWER
I agree there is no answer here, and it does piss me off.

- What are "the whispers"?
Dead people that can't move on? BARELY an answer....trivial.
Satisfies me.

- What exactly is Rousseau referring to in season one when she tells Sayid about the sickness that made her team "Lost"? She also tells Sayid to watch his people "closely" before he goes back to them.
I guess when she said "sickness" she could be referring to how MIB takes over someones soul like he did Sayid and Claire. Again, NOT a definite answer.
I think it's clear that Rousseau was actually the one who was sick a la Claire. She carved her own people up. I'm satisfied here.

- Did the island make it possible for the 46 Losties to survive the plane crash?
No answer...maybe Jacob did?
Since we know Jacob brings people to the island and so many candidates were in the plane, I think it is obvious that Jacob caused the plane crash and did so in a way that would encourage their survival.

-Who is Jacob?
Well, he's a guy that lives in a statue who will not let the smoke monster aka Flocke leave the island who is the protector of "the light that everyman wants" who likes to bring candidates to the island to take his job. Why? Maybe he's tired of doing the same job for thousands of years.
Who Jacob is has been answered to my satisfaction. How he knows anything about the island since Fmom told him nothing, why he wanted to die, and so on are the real remaining questions if you ask me.

- Is there any significance to the connections between these people and events?
I agree this is unresolved, but it won't bug me if this remains unresolved. It's a good question for them to keep unresolved.

- Where did the Polar bear/shark with Dharma logo come from ?
All we know is they had to do with an experiment from Dharma.
It pisses me off that we don't have more about Dharma in general, but these are not necessarily the questions that upset me there.

- Does Walt have some kind of powers and why did the others want to take him? NO ANSWER
This is a real rip off, but I have long accepted there will be no resolution to Walt specifically. I just hope we get answers as to why the Others took the children and why there are such child birth problems.

- Do Hurley's numbers have any significance to the story ?
Obviously they do....no solid answer though. We do know they refer to the candidates.
Good enough for me.

- Why is Claire seeing Walt when he's not really there?
MIB black maybe? No answer.
Gotta be MIB.

- What made the blast doors in the swan close in season 2 ?
No answer.
Irritating that they didn't resolve this plot point, but it's so trivial that they're clearly not going to go back for it now.

- Why does the Dr. in the Dharma orientation videos use different names (Mark Whickman, Edgar Halowax, Marvin Candle) ...and they all relate to candles?
NO ANSWER
Why they all relate to candles is trivial. Why they use different names is pretty clearly because the stations were mostly experiments on people. I think it's clear the different names were used to try to obscure what was going on if the experimentees ever got together. I'd like to know a hell of a lot more about what Dharma thought they were doing, though.

- What is the four toed statue?
It is where Jacob lives. It is where the Black Rock crashed. Who built it? What is it? NO ANSWER.
Pisses me off that they haven't dealt with this.

- Who is the lady in the jewelery store and how can she see the future?
She is Eloise Hawking. How can she see the future?...NO ANSWER.
I might be able to accept no answer here because we can speculate that whatever makes Desmond the way he is also makes her that way.

- Why did the smoke monster spare Eko the first time but kill him the second?
NO ANSWER
We don't get resolution about Eko because the actor wants nothing to do with the show. Not their fault.
Old 05-15-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to whine about questions not being answered until the series ends. Come on...we have three and a half hours left. One episode gives vague answers and everybody is saying the entire series is ruined? I think some people need some perspective.
Old 05-15-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 05-15-10, 09:42 AM
ATX

problem with LOST fanatics is that they look for shit thats not there...just accept what they gonna give us and move on i guess

also lets face it, alot of shit will be swept under the rug, no way they can patch up lose ends in the remaining 154 min.

i'm through speculating, we'll just have to wait and see

should be an interesting thread on 5/24

btw, re jacob questions... you just have to infer that any ability he posesses came from his mom; she said he was the same as her now during the wine ceremony

it was also stated that she 'made it' so that dieing would be something they'd never have to worry about

so you can see that Jacob has these abilities

interestingly enough, MIB takes after her, he repeats her lines and hates people the same way she did

Jacob didn't want to leave the island. MIB wanted to

Jacob left the island alot, MIB can't, never seen what is out there

interesting role reversal irony going on here

Moms couldn't have been a smoke monster, or this would make Jacob one...

anyways... no it couldn't ruin the show...it's been too damn entertaining over the years
Old 05-15-10, 09:46 AM
ATX

the cast seems to be estatic about how the show ends

but i assume they don't have a choice in what they say to the press

if the ending sucks, pretty sure they wont say it
Old 05-15-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
- Why did Desmond wake up in the jungle naked ?
NO ANSWER
Because there is a god.
Old 05-15-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. Absolutely. It's already getting there with that complete shit-fest of an episode from last week. What's further irksome is the audacity of those two clowns...who believe they can do no wrong more often than not. It's not difficult to predict where this show is going in the remaining hours, and had I known from the get-go that it would have eventually placed so much emphasis on magic and other nonsensical convolutions, I'd likely never have begun watching in the first place.
Old 05-15-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And the promos for this season should have amended "All of your questions will be answered" with "in wholly unsatisfying and sometimes downright laughable ways." It's one thing to get answers, it's another to have them reek of ineptitude. I just can't get over how terrible that last episode was. Even M. Night Shyamalan can come up with better answers. Even The Happening attempted to give more sensible answers for fuck's sake.
Old 05-15-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get why everything has to be explained, and when things are explained, then it's not good enough...

Did people question how the little boy in the Sixth Sense was able to see dead people? No... it was just accepted. Or how Luke could use the force?
Old 05-15-10, 10:03 AM
ATX

M Night been quiet, he must be making another stupid ass movie

i'm guessing whoever can make the dumbest ass face and talk the slowest will get the lead role
Old 05-15-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

To answer the thread question, yes, it's certainly possible. I've been a pretty ardent fan of the show and was willing to overlook a lot of it's flaws because so much of it was so good. I'm fine with most of the smaller, more trivial questions not getting explicit answers. What I'm not fine with is an endless parade of MacGuffins to explain the major mysteries from that we've watched over the past six years, which is basically what they started to do in the last episode.
Old 05-15-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, I think it can ruin the entire series.

And you missed a couple more:

Why did the number countdown board reveal Egyptian hieroglyphics when it ran down?

What exactly is going on with Ben and Widmore, ie Ben referring to "against the Rules"
Old 05-15-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 904 Likes on 574 Posts

It wouldn't "ruin" the series for me, but it would be disappointing to know that the creators never really had a great plan, which makes the rest of the show hard to watch in retrospect, knowing that all the little details and plot hints they drop will ultimately lead nowhere.

I love how everyone is saying that LOST-fans shouldn't obsess so much, when the creators of LOST have pushed that obsession with viral marketing, "easter eggs" and more.

Also, as a general writing rule, I don't feel a lot of these things should have been introduced if the writers never intended to explain them. If they never reveal who built the four-toed statue, why did they make such a big deal about it? Why reveal the donkey wheel if they never knew how it worked? It didn't need to be what it was, and watching it in retrospect, I no longer care what it is since the writers don't either. Why introduce something like the smoke monster in episode 1, and wait until Season 6 to sort of try and explain it...in a way that makes less sense then anything that could have been speculated. I actually would have been fine with "it's an automated defense system" over what they claim it is now.

I'm rambling, but I think it's perfectly valid to be disappointed with the "answers" we have gotten (and the ones we'll never get) when the creators themselves made it seem like these questions were important to the show. This isn't throwaway stuff...they've ended episodes (and seasons!) with these "big reveals" that now we'll never get an answer to. It's hard to rewatch knowing these cliffhangers are really unimportant.

Last edited by Draven; 05-15-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
It's hard to rewatch knowing these cliffhangers are really unimportant.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-15-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 677 Likes on 479 Posts

re: Pregnant women
I thought it was generally accepted that the birth problems were attributed to building Otherton over top of a leaking H-Bomb.

Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post
I don't get why everything has to be explained, and when things are explained, then it's not good enough...

Did people question how the little boy in the Sixth Sense was able to see dead people? No... it was just accepted. Or how Luke could use the force?
"When" things are explained makes a huge difference. As I mentioned in the current Lost thread, there is a huge fucking difference in cluing the audience into the force in the 1st act of Star Wars and not the closing minutes of Jedi, which is exactly what Lost has done. We accept it in SW because those are the rules that were laid out in the first 30 minutes of the first film.
Old 05-15-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ending ABSOLUTELY can affect how you perceive the entire series. And I speak from experience. Battlestar Galactica (IMO) had one of the worse endings in television history and completely ruined the series for me. All things that I had enjoyed along the way were destroyed because the framework under which I originally enjoyed the series had been destroyed. Similarly, Seinfeld (again IMO) spit his loyal viewers in the face with his finale and I haven't re-watched a single Seinfeld episode since it went off the air.

I hope against hope that Darlton don't sink to the lowest of the low as per my examples above and somehow manage to provide decent closure for this series. But the way they're handling criticism from the last episode, and the way they keep repeating that that episode is how they intend to supply answers, I fear the worst.
Old 05-15-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's another one...why did John Locke have to die for them to return to the island? Why was the MIB able to shift into Locke's form? Why is he now stuck there? What's the deal with Jacob's cabin? Who was there? What are the ashes supposed to do? Who built the lighthouse?

OK, maybe more than "one".
Old 05-15-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved X-Files for most of it's run. The final season bored me more and more as it went along. The series finale made me never want to re-watch anything X-Files ever again.

We're 2 out of 3 on Lost so far. I'm starting to fear I'll be 3/3 when it's finished.
Old 05-15-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by abrg923 View Post
Here's another one...why did John Locke have to die for them to return to the island? Why was the MIB able to shift into Locke's form? Why is he now stuck there? What's the deal with Jacob's cabin? Who was there? What are the ashes supposed to do? Who built the lighthouse?

OK, maybe more than "one".
Locke believed that he had to die because MIB told him so. MIB knew that he couldn't kill Locke but if Locke were to return to the island dead he could take over his body which he did. Plus, Locke had been gaining respect and a leadership role amongst the Others which MIB ultimately used to turn on his brother and have him killed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.