Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Old 05-13-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Across the Sea" -- 05/11/10

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
ign really gave this episode a beating. It was one of their lowest rated episodes of recent memory. There was another post that I read elsewhere that was on point about why this episode wasn't very good. He basically stated that leaving it to the viewer to draw their own conclusions on what things are or mean is not providing answers. This episode was good about guiding you towards a possible answer without really enlightening anything at all.
IGN also gave the blu-ray release of Gladiator a 10 out of 10 for picture quality.
Old 05-13-10, 03:23 PM

Probably the best episode of Lost this season and maybe one of the best of the entire series.

I predicted most of what would happen after the first few minutes but I still cried twice.

Just kidding. This was terrible.
Old 05-13-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TwineTime
Probably the best episode of Lost this season and maybe one of the best of the entire series.

I predicted most of what would happen after the first few minutes but I still cried twice.

Holy shit....I totally went in here to throw in the towel and declare that you have to just be fucking with people now. Then I saw the extra. You win the day.
Old 05-13-10, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
The Walt storyline is dead. We've known this for a long time. They explained by having Locke visit him when he was back on the mainland. He told Walt he didn't have to go back, or something like that. Michael's dead and Walt is free of the island's influence. He's no more relevant that Bernard and Rose.
Yeah, the Walt storyline is dead (obviously) but it was NEVER resolved. The kid was the most important thing for the first 2 years. He was special, blah, blah, blah. It feels like ever since Season 4, the producers\writers want us to forget that the first 3 seasons and everything in those seasons ever happened. Now if they can successfully tie all seasons together (and I do not mean just with a simple "here's who Adam and Eve really are" way but in a truly meaningful way, then I will be happy.

I do not care about the outrigger scene, Vincent or even what the island or its energy even is. I just want the complete series, all 6 seasons to make sense and not for it to feel like 2 different shows which is how it feels to me.

Last edited by thebunk; 05-13-10 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-13-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
And continuing to whine about them not having it all planned out from the start is silly too. OF COURSE THEY DIDN'T. No matter what they said back then NOBODY has a 6 season tv show all planned out.
I know a few pages have passed since you said this, but it's not just that they said it, it's HOW they said it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20010504,00.html

What is the meaning or significance of the two skeletons that Jack and Kate found in the cave of season 1?

CUSE: The answer to that question goes to the nature of the timeline of the island. We don't want to say too much about it, but there are a couple Easter eggs embedded in [the Feb. 7 episode], one of which is an anagram that actually sheds some light on the skeletons and hints at a larger mythological mystery that will start to unfold later in the season.

LINDELOF: There were certain things we knew from the very beginning. Independent of ever knowing when the end was going to be, we knew what it was going to be, and we wanted to start setting it up as early as season 1, or else people would think that we were making it up as we were going along. So the skeletons are the living — or, I guess, slowly decomposing — proof of that. When all is said and done, people are going to point to the skeletons and say, ''That is proof that from the very beginning, they always knew that they were going to do this.''
Old 05-13-10, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by twinetime
probably the best episode of lost this season and maybe one of the best of the entire series.

I predicted most of what would happen after the first few minutes but i still cried twice.

just kidding. This was terrible.
lol!!!!
Old 05-13-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
If they consider the skeletons an obscure reference, then I think we've all been wasting a lot of time over-analyzing stuff that isn't even on their explanation radar.
Amen. I had a friend tell me it's not fair to LOST and the people behind it that all the "rabid fans" won't be satisfied with the outcome and questions not being answered.

Um, the people behind the show are directly responsible for creating that rabid fan base! this is a show that has dragged out questions or answered them with even more questions, and has even officially created dozens of fake websites introducing mysteries OUTSIDE of the show. Including multiple sites about DHARMA and an entire game-like thing about the fake plane crash under the ocean. Whether that is ABC to blame or the producers, someone is still to blame.
Old 05-13-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mind is going blank here- what is everyone referring to with the "who shot the outrigger scene"?
Old 05-13-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
I just want the complete series, all 6 seasons to make sense and not for it to feel like 2 different shows which is how it feels to me.
That's exactly what it is though. Remember that nonsense about everything being scientifically possible? There are 2 distinctly different shows here and don't get me wrong I appreciate both shows but I'm wondering how it's all going to flow watching the seasons back to back.
Old 05-13-10, 04:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This episode gives more weight to my "exploded TARDIS" theory.

Consider: Mother refers to the cave as the "heart of the island", it emits a golden glow.
Likewise, in Doctor Who the "heart of the TARDIS" also emits a golden glow.

On Lost, coming in contact with the "heart" grants supernatural powers (smoke monster), including the ability to grant immortality. Ditto in Doctor Who (bad wolf).
Old 05-13-10, 04:51 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'm going with the theory that the mother was also a Smokey - she went into the light a long time ago,,, and was trapped on the island.
During the opening with Mother and pregnant bio-mom, I thought Alison Janney was completely channeling Titus Welliver's (and Terry O'Quinn's) MIB performances. Especially if you look at the sly, almost evil sideways glances she gives to the woman. I disregarded this once Titus actually showed up in the story, but after the ep the thought seemed to make sense again. In addition, Titus seemed to give a different performance here as Jacob's brother than his previous MIB appearances.
Old 05-13-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TwineTime

I had to have a laugh after suffering through another Cardinals beating and sent grocery shopping. Thanks!
Old 05-13-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You know what makes no sense to me? This episode had the MiB explain the Frozen Donkey Wheel as a way off the island. Does that mean that it's 'other' ability, to move the island, was just an accident? Just seems odd that a device set up to allow people to leave also just happened to move the island.
Old 05-13-10, 05:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
You know what makes no sense to me? This episode had the MiB explain the Frozen Donkey Wheel as a way off the island. Does that mean that it's 'other' ability, to move the island, was just an accident? Just seems odd that a device set up to allow people to leave also just happened to move the island.
It seems that way. Obviously, when Ben turned the wheel to move the island it had the side effect of sending him to Tunisia. But it seems the original purpose and the side-effect were just the opposite for Cosmo.
Old 05-13-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a couple things I don't understand...

1) why this is a love it or hate it episode for most folks. I didn't LOVE it, but I also recognize the weaknesses in the episode and can share with some of the complaints about it. But the few things that I thought were wrong with it certainly doesn't make me want to cast the entire episode off or makes me feel like I should give up watching the show again.

2) the Walt story line is the most frustrating thing in the course of the series. It was evident they had bigger plans for the character and his aging could have played in after the time travel stuff. Is there any reason they gave for not wrapping his story line up? The creators said they had more in mind for him but I doubt it was just Locke going to visit him to tell him the island was done with him. Did the actor want out of the show or something?
Old 05-13-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they had some trouble during the run of the show getting Harold Perrineau (Michael) to come back at least during some parts of the show's run, but I get the sense that the aging of the actor and C&L running into a wall with that story are what led to it being dropped.
Old 05-13-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07

1) why this is a love it or hate it episode for most folks. I didn't LOVE it, but I also recognize the weaknesses in the episode and can share with some of the complaints about it. But the few things that I thought were wrong with it certainly doesn't make me want to cast the entire episode off or makes me feel like I should give up watching the show again.

2) the Walt story line is the most frustrating thing in the course of the series. It was evident they had bigger plans for the character and his aging could have played in after the time travel stuff. Is there any reason they gave for not wrapping his story line up? The creators said they had more in mind for him but I doubt it was just Locke going to visit him to tell him the island was done with him. Did the actor want out of the show or something?
I doubt he dropped out of the show to star in chicken nugget commercials.
Old 05-13-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think they had some trouble during the run of the show getting Harold Perrineau (Michael) to come back at least during some parts of the show's run, but I get the sense that the aging of the actor and C&L running into a wall with that story are what led to it being dropped.
I don't think they had much trouble getting him back on the show, but he was VERY critical of what happened to his character. From becoming a murderer in S2, to the quick death in S4. I am surprised he came back for S6.

Now, I did read a rumor that John Terry, aka Christian, was at odds with the writers which is why we never got that Jack/Christian scene. This explains the lame explanation via MiB, and the lost body in the ALT, but I'm still hoping Terry pops up.
Old 05-13-10, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by GradVT06
My mind is going blank here- what is everyone referring to with the "who shot the outrigger scene"?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjGZUswSCxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjGZUswSCxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-13-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I never thought I'd see a worse LOST episode than the Nikki & Paolo one.

I just did.

This episode was a great example of how sometimes it's just better not to answer certain things. I think it would have been far better to leave Jacob and MiB's origins up to the imagination of the viewers...especially after seeing what the writers/producers came up with.
Old 05-13-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-13-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been on the sidelines this season for all of the Lost hate and I've been more than happy to just enjoy the ride.

This episode ended that. I really found it to be terrible and disappointing in EVERY way. I've read many of the posts here, so nothing I can say would be new, but I will say that the negatives that have been discussed started literally at the beginning of the show. I knew in real time that I was not liking what was happening and what the writers were (not) doing through the whole episode.

I couldn't believe it. I really thought each time they went to commercial that something would happen to clear things up and make me change my mind about how this episode made things MORE confusing and had all those Lost moments where people didn't say or ask the most basic questions you'd expect them to, but when it's happened before it seemed to lead to other scenes that were entertaining, and it never once got better. This crap went on for the entire episode.

I mean, I don't think I've made a peep this season when others were complaining, so if this show really bothered me, I'm not surprised it seems to have gotten the feedback it has so far in this thread. It's well deserved criticism and maybe BAD isn't even the right word, but it was easily the most disappointing episode I've ever had and that shouldn't have happened with only a few hours to go in the entire series.

I really hope some of this can be resolved by the rest of the story, but for the first time I'm really worried that this will end in a very stupid and lackluster way. Like ending the X-Files with a trial that basically was a recap of the entire run of the show.

Please let me be wrong. Please.
Old 05-13-10, 06:41 PM

1) You can lump me in the same camp as dolphinboy. He did a great job posting what I have been feeling. I have been trying to stay positive the whole season and hope they were going to tie everything together. I also knew this episode was coming so I was looking forward to it. I think the fact that A LOT of people were looking forward to this and the fact it was mediocre at best, really was the straw that broke the camel's back. On top of that, you had things that felt like absolute slaps in the face to the fans of the show (the Adam and Eve flashback, the "answer will lead to 10 other questions or whateverer, no name foe the MIB, etc., etc). For a season that is supposed to wrap everything up, it feels like it is doing the exact opposite and in the 11th hour.

2) Not sure about Walt but again, I want to see how they tie the two halfs of the show together and I have finally given to the fact that they are not going to be able to do it. The show was not a grand concept from start to finish and instead, we get an epic series that starts out fantastic but in the end, the greater whole ends up taking away from the initial greatness (Star Wars, Twin Peaks anyone???).
Old 05-13-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DcnB_WLXWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9DcnB_WLXWo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-13-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm torn. I "liked" the episode but hated the placement. If this was the first or second episode of the season I would have been fine with it but to be the penultimate episode of the entire run it was horrible.

I've already talked about not letting us know his name was Cosmo which I feel was not only a cop out but lazy writing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.