TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Steve Carell says next season of The Office will "probably be my last"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Steve Carell says next season of The Office will "probably be my last"

Originally Posted by mordred
i'm probably in the minority here, but i find almost nothing funny about that show. Yes, i get all the "jokes" and nerd humor. No, i don't find it very funny.
+1
Old 04-29-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Can't believe nobody has mentioned BIG BANG THEORY as among the funniest sitcoms on TV right now.
Umm I can definitely believe that.
Old 04-29-10, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't see anyone relating to any situation put forth by the morons in Sunny.
Surely I'm not the only person who has ever kidnapped a family so that I could do an Extreme Home Makeover on their house or faked my own death to hide from my ex-con father? I swear to God, it's like the writers of IASIP are writing my biography!
Old 04-29-10, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Can't believe nobody has mentioned BIG BANG THEORY as among the funniest sitcoms on TV right now.
I always hear people praising it, but the four or five times I've tried to watch it it's just been the same tired sitcom jokes only they're nerds so it's extra funny because Ha Ha! Nerds are funny!
Old 04-29-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'm probably in the minority here, but I find almost nothing funny about that show. Yes, I get all the "jokes" and nerd humor. No, I don't find it very funny.
I'm trying to make my way through the first season on Netflix but having trouble finding the motivation to continue watching. It's at best okay with some moments of ha, but it tries WAY TOO HARD. I wish Kaley was hotter, but she's not.
Old 04-29-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rfduncan
+1
+2 and I'll raise a How I Met Your Mother as being unfunny as well. These shows just look cheap in all areas.
Old 04-29-10, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
If Carell leaves, the Office is over.
Then all of us have to not go to any Carell movies.
Once his movies bomb he won't have a movie career and will have no choice but to stay on t.v. That's what happened to David Caruso .
Old 04-29-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Then all of us have to not go to any Carell movies.
Once his movies bomb he won't have a movie career and will have no choice but to stay on t.v. That's what happened to David Caruso .
Your comparing apples and oranges. Caruso was on NYPD Blue for 1 season and thought he was too big for the show and bolted for a movie career that fizzled.

Carell has been on the Office for 6 seasons and has 3-4 hit movies that he's done during the show's run along with a few Indie films.
Old 04-29-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
If they bring in Stephen Root as the boss, maybe they can recast Jim with Dave Foley and Phyllis with Khandi Alexander.
I'd rather Mr. James come in and buy the company in the series finale, and then the spinoff show would take a few cast members from The Office and a few from Newsradio. Not sure what the work environment should be, though...

(Newsradio was an NBC show!)

Last edited by Darknite39; 04-29-10 at 07:33 PM. Reason: I guess they don't sell paper anymore; it's printers and such at this point.
Old 04-29-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had to take a break reading this thread to contemplate the glory that would be Stephen Root as the boss (which would be pretty much 50% Milton and 50% Jimmy James thematically, or better put about halfway between the two characters), but people would bitch about the show jumping the shark even if I felt it was balls to the wall awesome. It's probably for the best it not happen.

The Office hit when the dramedy known as Scrubs was all that kept network comedy alive. I think we all owe The Office a debt of great gratitude for keeping things going on the comedy front. I'm at peace with it ending, particularly if they can find a clever spin-off to at least try. I'm thinking Kevin hitting the pick 5 and becoming the owner/manager of a buffet, personally. He'd have to be an ancillary character in that show, though.

As for funny shows, 30 Rock eclipsed The Office by the end of its first season. This season, Community and Modern Family have been better than The Office. I have preferred IASIP since I discovered it during what I think was its second season. P&R is amusing but nothing great. Cougar Town is probably a half step behind P&R in my book. TBBT is a show I discovered like six weeks ago, and it currently slays me but might not have staying power. The upshot of all of this is that we're back on the upswing of live action comedy.
Old 04-29-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Darknite39
I'd rather Mr. James come in and buy the company in the series finale, and then the spinoff show would take a few cast members from The Office and a few from Newsradio. Not sure what the work environment should be, though...

(Newsradio was an NBC show!)
I imagine Paul Simms might be game. The setting would have to be the newspaper Jimmy bought in the Newsradio finale. News meets paper. Perfect. I'd take Andy, Erin, Lisa (Maura Tierney health dependent, of course), Dave, Joe, and Dwight.
Old 04-29-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brilliant!

Let's pitch this next year after all of NBC's new shows bomb. I'm sure we could at least get a pilot greenlit.
Old 04-29-10, 09:07 PM
ams

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't see anyone relating to any situation put forth by the morons in Sunny.!
There is an episode where Charlie gets a job in the mailroom of a large company that had me laughing by myself in the living room...a rare feat.

edit: Youtube to the rescue with a small sample.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og8U9TTDHvc

Last edited by ams; 04-29-10 at 09:13 PM. Reason: youtube
Old 04-29-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tonight's episode was a prime example of Michael's character being too far gone.
Old 04-30-10, 01:09 AM

While the show could go on fine without Michael they should strongly consider putting it to rest when Carrell leaves. The Office without Michael is just weird to think about, his antics are a big part of what define the show's humor.

I personally think the show has still got it but I've got enough newer comedies on my plate that I wouldn't mind if The Office bowed out gracefully next season.
Old 05-16-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

During NBC's pre-upfront conference call this afternoon, NBC brass were asked to comment on The Office star Steve Carell's recent remarks in a BBC radio interview that he intends to exit NBC's top comedy series at the end of next season when his contract is up. NBC's primetime entertainment president Angela Bromstad said: "We hope we can keep him around for a long time." (That could happen even if Carell leaves The Office as he has a producing deal with sister studio UMS).

But NBC Uni TV Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin added:"The Office is a great ensemble show, and the producers are preparing in the event he choses to move on."
http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/nbc-...ll/#more-41791

I honestly can't see this show continuing without Carell. Unfortunately, it's a sizable money-maker for NBC/Universal, and they'll run it into the ground at this point.
Old 05-16-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they can cancel Parks & Rec and replace Carell w/Amy Poehler.
Old 05-16-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
While the show could go on fine without Michael
no

it's time to end the show after next season anyway
Old 05-18-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dude, the very fact the writers could even think about just ending this next year because one actor says he's leaving proves to me that despite what they say in these newspaper rags, these guys never at all had a plan for how they were going to end it. Wake up, people! THEY WERE MAKING IT UP AS THEY WENT ALONG!!!

There is no way they are going to be able to tie up ALL THESE MYSTERIES and LOOSE PLOT THREADS in such a short amount of time!!! I'll keep watching, because I've dedicated what I've figured out to be 0.02% of my life on this show, but honestly, I think I'll be selling my Office Blu-Ray sets once this ends. I have zero confidence in these bullshit writers.
Old 05-18-10, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Dude, the very fact the writers could even think about just ending this next year because one actor says he's leaving proves to me that despite what they say in these newspaper rags, these guys never at all had a plan for how they were going to end it. Wake up, people! THEY WERE MAKING IT UP AS THEY WENT ALONG!!!

There is no way they are going to be able to tie up ALL THESE MYSTERIES and LOOSE PLOT THREADS in such a short amount of time!!! I'll keep watching, because I've dedicated what I've figured out to be 0.02% of my life on this show, but honestly, I think I'll be selling my Office Blu-Ray sets once this ends. I have zero confidence in these bullshit writers.
^ Stupid but I laughed
Old 05-18-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well done, sir!
Old 05-18-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see what you did there.
Old 05-18-10, 01:23 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 05-18-10, 01:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I mean do you like Larry on Curb? He's a jerk too!
He's probably the only character on the show I really do like! I always want to yell at the other characters for failing to see that Larry is always correct.
Old 05-18-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Well it makes sense as he's "the improver".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.