TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Steve Carell says next season of The Office will "probably be my last"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Steve Carell says next season of The Office will "probably be my last"

Originally Posted by chino77
like what? parks is decent but i cant say i look forward to it, how i met your mother was good but it got crappy this season, and i cant get into 30 rock at all. its always sunny is the only great comedy i know of on right now.
Totally agree. If it ends, it will most likely be replaced by some sub-mediocre unwatchable crap, since >90% of comedies on now are just that. Hardly a win.
Old 04-28-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
PLEASE, I hope David Brent makes an appearance before they end things....
I think it'd be great if the show ended with Michael Scott leaving Dunder Mifflin and David Brent takes his place, maybe with a lengthy finale with Scott running an orientation.
Old 04-28-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I really hope it ends. That way, maybe the writers will pour their effort into making the final season memorable, as opposed to the coasting they've done the past two seasons (with a few notable exceptions).
Old 04-28-10, 05:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Love the show, but it is way past time to retire it and move on.
Old 04-28-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say I'd miss him. The show is not integral to his character and the unevenness in the way they write him is often frustrating.

Ideally, I think they should end the show next year...go out on a high like Seinfeld. But if they MUST continue, then Jim could easily become manager.
Old 04-28-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I can't say I'd miss him. The show is not integral to his character and the unevenness in the way they write him is often frustrating.

Ideally, I think they should end the show next year...go out on a high like Seinfeld. But if they MUST continue, then Jim could easily become manager.
Then they should have stopped after Season 3 IMO.

The Office just isn't what is used to be, to me. Jim & Pam are married with a kid? It should have ended way before they ever had a kid. They aren't the same people they were 6 years ago. And to those that say people change, of course they do. But in this case we all fell in love with their old versions and the new Jim & Pam just isn't as funny. They seem to be pretentious and arrogant.

Michael went overboard with the car in the lake. His behavior has always been silly but that was just over-the-top, even for his character. The show really needs to end, and I hope the writers really put their hearts into the last season and cut the drama crap and give us the funniest season yet.

But I doubt it.
Old 04-28-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Seinfeld had 9 seasons...Unless you're saying they should have ended Seinfeld after 7 seasons?
I'll say that. Seinfeld sucked when LD left after the seventh season.

The Office is my favorite show ever, but this is welcome news. It's been on the long slide to Mediocreville for a while now. I would have been fine with the series ending with Jim and Pam's wedding.

But it's Michael Scott's show, and he's always wanted a wife and kids, so maybe they can bring the Holly character back and allow that to happen for him before they close out the show. That would be nice.
Old 04-28-10, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Office, love it, but I was hoping that it would plan on wrapping in a season or 2 because it's just not designed for longer, and it's already lost some steam. I am ok with the characters changing -particularly Jim and Pam as their relationship created many funny moments from themselves or the rest of the cast. But they keep bringing up new story lines that end very quickly like Michael's paper company and the co-manager thing.

Additionally this season had at least 2 episodes that were cringe levels of bad - the "mafia" one and the school one.
Old 04-28-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is about the only way I'd keep watching it. But truthfully, 7 seasons is enough. It was good enough for Seinfeld.
Actually 7 wasn't good enough. Seinfeld went 9 seasons.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 04-28-10 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,079 Posts

That's too bad. The show is currently the best it's ever been but it can't go on without Michael. If the quality continues the way it has since Season 1, at least it will go out on top.
Old 04-28-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
That's too bad. The show is currently the best it's ever been but it can't go on without Michael. If the quality continues the way it has since Season 1, at least it will go out on top.
I feel the opposite. The jokes have really run their course.
Old 04-28-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

love the show but 7 seasons is more than enough
Old 04-28-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really?
Old 04-28-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Really?
Yup. I love the direction the show has taken. I like seeing real change from characters. I like when characters act like real people, and get married, break up, have kids, change jobs, etc. I've enjoyed watching these people grow from episode 1 and I enjoy the way the show has shifted focus as things have changed.

The last thing I would want is to be in the same situations now that the show was in during Season 2. Seeing things change is one of the most enjoyable parts of "The Office" to me.
Old 04-28-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've liked the past few seasons enough to keep watching. I am with you all on many of the points and complaints about the show, but overall I think the past few seasons offer more good than bad.
Old 04-28-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. I love the direction the show has taken. I like seeing real change from characters. I like when characters act like real people, and get married, break up, have kids, change jobs, etc. I've enjoyed watching these people grow from episode 1 and I enjoy the way the show has shifted focus as things have changed.

The last thing I would want is to be in the same situations now that the show was in during Season 2. Seeing things change is one of the most enjoyable parts of "The Office" to me.
I assume you're talking about Jim and Pam.

Michael went from a "real" person in the early seasons to a complete comic book character. Same with Andy. Andy started off as just a weird, annoying guy and has become...I guess I don't even know how to describe him. Kevin has gotten dumber and dumber as time has gone on--much like Homer Simpson. Kelly started out as a VERY real person even though her role was very limited in the first season or 2, but now she's as far out there as they come. Same with Ryan. He went from a temp worker in business school to guy who's "thing" is to wear different completely weird outfits every day.

Many of the characaters have stayed pretty much the same over the years. Stanley, Meredith, Oscar, Angela, Dwight, Toby and except for getting married and having a kid Jim and Pam are all pretty much the same. Although Jim and Pam's personalities have definitely changed. They used to be cute and funny but now they're mean and vindictive. Michael, Kevin, Andy, Kelly and Ryan have all changed and have become MUCH less "real", however.
Old 04-29-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I still love the Office. But another season would be about right for it to end.
Old 04-29-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I assume you're talking about Jim and Pam.

Michael went from a "real" person in the early seasons to a complete comic book character. Same with Andy. Andy started off as just a weird, annoying guy and has become...I guess I don't even know how to describe him. Kevin has gotten dumber and dumber as time has gone on--much like Homer Simpson. Kelly started out as a VERY real person even though her role was very limited in the first season or 2, but now she's as far out there as they come. Same with Ryan. He went from a temp worker in business school to guy who's "thing" is to wear different completely weird outfits every day.

Many of the characaters have stayed pretty much the same over the years. Stanley, Meredith, Oscar, Angela, Dwight, Toby and except for getting married and having a kid Jim and Pam are all pretty much the same. Although Jim and Pam's personalities have definitely changed. They used to be cute and funny but now they're mean and vindictive. Michael, Kevin, Andy, Kelly and Ryan have all changed and have become MUCH less "real", however.
Agree to disagree I guess. As actors and writers have grown more comfortable with their roles, things have definitely changed from the early season. But I happen to like all the changes, and enjoy the show as much as I did during the first season.

As for people becoming caricatures, I can honestly say from personal experience that when I first met one of my co-workers, she seemed very put together and professional. After two years of working together, she has gotten so comfortable with all of us that the crazy has come out in force. She's nearly a cartoon character herself. I still like her, she's just different than how she was when I first met her. I can say the same about a number of people in my life, so I don't get annoyed when the same thing is reflected in a TV show.
Old 04-29-10, 01:25 AM
Cool New Member

Agree to disagree I guess. As actors and writers have grown more comfortable with their roles, things have definitely changed from the early season. But I happen to like all the changes, and enjoy the show as much as I did during the first season.

As for people becoming caricatures, I can honestly say from personal experience that when I first met one of my co-workers, she seemed very put together and professional. After two years of working together, she has gotten so comfortable with all of us that the crazy has come out in force. She's nearly a cartoon character herself. I still like her, she's just different than how she was when I first met her. I can say the same about a number of people in my life, so I don't get annoyed when the same thing is reflected in a TV show.
+rep

Hopefully they make more, but I could understand if Carrell left after next season. I would still watch it if they continued, I love The Office, from season 1 to now.
Old 04-29-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
like what? parks is decent but i cant say i look forward to it, how i met your mother was good but it got crappy this season, and i cant get into 30 rock at all. its always sunny is the only great comedy i know of on right now.
IMO of course but I find all these better than The Office right now:

Community
Parks & Recreation
Modern Family
30 Rock
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

That's more than enough to keep me laughing.
Old 04-29-10, 01:51 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I still think the show is great and would love to see it continue with or without Carell (preferably with). But if Carell does leave, there is a simple 4-word recipe for success on a revamped office:

The Creed Bratton Show

You know you'd watch.
Old 04-29-10, 02:35 AM

I think 7 seasons is perfect for The Office, I still love the show, but I could see seven as being the right fit for the show.

Right now though, there are shows that have surpassed it in how funny they are:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Modern Family
Parks & Rec.
The League
Old 04-29-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fair enough.

In any event, I do think the show is done without Carrell. He is the glue that ties all the other characters together and I think it's already been proven that Jim as manager just doesn't work. I suppose they could bring in a replacement for Michael, but it would be impossible to find somebody to emulate Carrell and they've already tried bringing in the "anti-Michael" which was Charles and that didn't work either.

As much as I really don't like the character most times, Michael IS the show.
Old 04-29-10, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Psych, ftw.
i like psych. though i wouldnt call it a great comedy. it can be funny but i never really find it hilarious, actually a lot of the jokes are really stupid.
Old 04-29-10, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A talkbacker on AICN mentioned Stephen Root as an ideal candidate to replace Carell, and honestly, I'd have to agree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.