TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Originally Posted by StephenX
I'll say this again: It was a ploy, and not really that risky (compared to all else either). Remember, Charlie almost killed himself and Desmond in the alt to show Desmond, and Hurley went on a date with an insane person. Hitting someone with a car isn't that far of a reach.
You're actually making the argument that Hurley going on a date with a beautiful woman is more risky than getting hit full on by a speeding car while sitting in a wheelchair. I'll have to disagree there.

All I'm saying that is that even a suicidal, drug addicted Charlie at least tried to talk sense into Desmond, before plunging the car into the water. It would seem reasonable for Desmond to make that approach first as well.

I could very well be wrong, but my first reaction was that Desmond wanted to remove Locke from the playing field seeing as he is a very important component in the MiB's plan in the other world. But I could see it going either way.
Old 04-14-10, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
You're actually making the argument that Hurley going on a date with a beautiful woman is more risky than getting hit full on by a speeding car while sitting in a wheelchair. I'll have to disagree there.

All I'm saying that is that even a suicidal, drug addicted Charlie at least tried to talk sense into Desmond, before plunging the car into the water. It would seem reasonable for Desmond to make that approach first as well.

I could very well be wrong, but my first reaction was that Desmond wanted to remove Locke from the playing field seeing as he is a very important component in the MiB's plan in the other world. But I could see it going either way.
lol, no. Sorry, you misunderstood me. I'm saying that logic and common sense are out the window for some of the characters in this alt, esp. those who are aware of a different timeline. Logic says don't drown proving a point, or a date a girl in a mental institution. But our characters know other things are at play. And I'm also believing this because Desmond should have just tracked down Locke first rather than even bothering with Hugo at all. Locke is the next piece in Des's puzzle. If killing locke stops the MiB, he would have done it first, I think.

I just truly believe that Locke's reaction as he is lying there is saying something. There is no way he looks around, blinks like he does, and has that 'enlightened' expression on his face because he was hit by a car. He saw something. Terry O'Quinn is a great actor, and I think that expression says a thousand words.
Old 04-14-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

You're actually making the argument that Hurley going on a date with a beautiful woman is more risky than getting hit full on by a speeding car while sitting in a wheelchair.
Based upon some of my previous dating experiences - I might have to side with StephenX on this one
Old 04-14-10, 02:41 PM

And I'm also believing this because Desmond should have just tracked down Locke first rather than even bothering with Hugo at all. Locke is the next piece in Des's puzzle. If killing locke stops the MiB, he would have done it first, I think.
Good point. But if Desmond is sharing his consciousness in "real time" as it's shown to us, then Desmond really just now learned that Fake Locke is a bad guy when he was thrown in the well. Up until that point, neither version of Desmond knew that Fake Locke was up to no good. That's why his possible murder attempt was handled rather sloppily. He's having to make drastic changes in a hurry.

But I agree that applying logic to these characters can be very futile. I just had a different take on the events.
Old 04-14-10, 02:47 PM

Good point. But if Desmond is sharing his consciousness in "real time" as it's shown to us, then Desmond really just now learned that Fake Locke is a bad guy when he was thrown in the well. Up until that point, neither version of Desmond knew that Fake Locke was up to no good. That's why his possible murder attempt was handled rather sloppily. He's having to make drastic changes in a hurry.

But I agree that applying logic to these characters can be very futile. I just had a different take on the events.

No no, listen, everyone is thinking in three dimensions. You have to remember, after Happily Ever After, Des' exposure to that electromagnet CHANGED him. He now knows EXACTLY what to do in both timelines, and has no fear of anything in either. I believe that something happened to him, and he knows for a fact that hitting Locke will NOT kill him in the ALT. Whether he had 'flashes before his eyes' or whatnot, Desmond seems to have a clear idea of what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.

Desmond did not run Locke over because he was pissed at him, or because he thinks this kills the MiB(at least in my opinion). He is doing this because John Locke, the real one, has work to do, and the island is not done with him. But first, he has to remember the island, and get the hell out of that wheel chair.
Old 04-14-10, 02:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

In next week's episode, Desmond starts killing people who have watched a certain videotape by crawling out of their tv.
Old 04-14-10, 02:53 PM

Everyone's theory hinges on Des not knowing that OR Locke is actually the MiB, or that Des should know hitting someone with a car will kill him.

My point is that the guy can travel time, survive electromagnetic events that kill normal people, can see the future, and can see the future events in other people's lives. Whose to say he doesn't know more than we think he does? Desmond is special, and isn't in the dark about anything at all anymore(or doesn't appear to be). Too much of all these theories hinges on what we as viewers THINK Desmond knows. I'm of the believe that in both realities, he knows what to do. Now, this may be that HIS work lies in the ALT, and that he knows exactly what to do since HIS place in the OR doesn't matter anymore.

I love this character, Desmond Hume. And I don't believe the writers are clueless on what they are doing. Neither is Des.
Old 04-14-10, 03:02 PM

Desmond is special, and isn't in the dark about anything at all anymore(or doesn't appear to be).
He didn't seem to see the old "well push" coming as he plunged down the hole, screaming.
Old 04-14-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Then why did he change his license plates?

Because maybe he knew he was about be in a hit and run and he changed plates.
Old 04-14-10, 03:07 PM

He didn't seem to see the old "well push" coming as he plunged down the hole, screaming.
...or it doesn't matter, or going down the well has an outcome that has to happen?
Old 04-14-10, 03:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

He should have stood a mile away, because that's where the rest of us could see it coming from.
Old 04-14-10, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by andy434343
Because maybe he knew he was about be in a hit and run and he changed plates.
That was my point. Dino88 said that Desmond wasn't worried about the police, and I pointed out that he (possibly) made the effort to change his plates to avoid being arrested.
Old 04-14-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Some trivia to go along with Desmond's order #42 at Mr. Clucks:

-Desmond needed 42K to buy his boat
-Desmond was in prison and the address was 42 Berechurch Road
-"Everyone Loves Hugo" was Desmond's 42nd episode.
Old 04-14-10, 03:15 PM

...or it doesn't matter, or going down the well has an outcome that has to happen?
Actually I agree with you there. Desmond and electromagnetic energy tend to have a potent mix. I'm reminded of the end of Robin William's Popeye when Bluto shoves spinach down his throat.
Old 04-14-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually I agree with you there. Desmond and electromagnetic energy tend to have a potent mix. I'm reminded of the end of Robin William's Popeye when Bluto shoves spinach down his throat.
There better damn well be a giant octopus!
Old 04-14-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

SPOILERS!!!!
Spoiler:
j/k
Old 04-14-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
In next week's episode, Desmond starts killing people who have watched a certain videotape by crawling out of their tv.
Anyone with Photoshop skills want to do a Desmond/Samara/Sadako picture? It sounds like a cool idea for an avatar ...
Old 04-14-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That was my point. Dino88 said that Desmond wasn't worried about the police, and I pointed out that he (possibly) made the effort to change his plates to avoid being arrested.
Desmond also said Widmore is the most powerful man in the city, so he has that to fall back on if he gets caught.
Old 04-14-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going with the theory that alt Desmond thinks alt Locke is the mib and must die. I think he just figured it out in the OT and thus the hit and run was a hasty decision. The Locke-centric episode made it seem like alt Locke is the real deal, but it could be the mib trying to live a normal life to mask his identity. He did try to convince Ben to be principal and screw Alex after all.

I'm also not convinced that OT Locke is the mib. No evidence just that we've never seen ohm transform just make allusions to it. Just some quick thoughts.
Old 04-14-10, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by XavierMike
The Locke-centric episode made it seem like alt Locke is the real deal, but it could be the mib trying to live a normal life to mask his identity. He did try to convince Ben to be principal and screw Alex after all.
Sounds like my kind of guy!!

Old 04-14-10, 05:10 PM
ATX

they did that license plate shit on purpose. those cars are props and those are prop plate numbers

plate numbers look like monikers
Old 04-14-10, 05:20 PM
Banned

Deliciously racist. Since when Spanish dinners serve Mexican food? Or when did Mexican restaurants are Spanish?
Old 04-14-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 04-14-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
They've stated many times that they've always known how the series was going to end.
They just meant the "Bad Robot" production logo was going to play at the end.
Old 04-14-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Some trivia to go along with Desmond's order #42 at Mr. Clucks:

-Desmond needed 42K to buy his boat
-Desmond was in prison and the address was 42 Berechurch Road
-"Everyone Loves Hugo" was Desmond's 42nd episode.
- 42 is one of the "numbers" (Kwon)
- 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.