TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Everybody Loves Hugo" -- 04/13/10

Originally Posted by Goldblum
But why did he look the same age as he did in the 1970s? Or am I wrong? (I wasn't paying as close attention at that point.)
I thought about this today and wanted to ask the same question here. I am assuming that in all alternate timelines, everyone who has met up in the original timeline, needs to meet up in the alternate timeline as well, since they traveled through time in the original timeline, this could change a lot of things in the alternate timeline, like when people were possibly born. But then Chang's entire ancestry will be off by 30 years or so, not just him.

There has to be a more simple solution, so maybe we can just say that people of Asian decent, age better than Ben's father.
Old 04-14-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

also, I wonder what the Man in Black is building, he seemed to not know, when Sawyer asked him if he was making a spear.....

And, anyone else notice that Ben is starting to manipulate everyone again, with his comments about the island discarding you when its done with you? Makes me think, he wants off the island and will persuade people into leaving with the MIB.

Last edited by andy434343; 04-14-10 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Desmond has arguably been through more than anyone else we've seen on the show. He spent years on the island, albeit sequestered in the hatch. He was with the Losties enough to have a pretty comprehensive view of everything they'd been through. He's had glimpses of the future and challenged pre-destined fate by attempting to alter it. His consciousness has traveled through time and to another dimension. I think it's ridiculous to assume he's wondering around in a confused state of shock with no idea that MiB was not John Locke.
Old 04-14-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
There's also the fact that the creators of the show stated way back in season 1 that the island is not the afterlife and the Losties aren't dead.
They also stated that the show's "fiction" could, in fact, be explained scientifically. I'd have to say they over-stepped the boundaries a bit. I don't think they had a frickin clue what the outcome was during S1.
Old 04-14-10, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hardercore
also does anybody have any idea who the next ep focuses on?
No idea, but I'd really love to see a whole episode about Lapidus. Does anyone know if we saw his name crossed OFF in the lighthouse or the cave?
Old 04-14-10, 11:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm pretty sure Lapidus is not a candidate.
Old 04-14-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
I don't think they had a frickin clue what the outcome was during S1.
They've stated many times that they've always known how the series was going to end.
Old 04-14-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
They also stated that the show's "fiction" could, in fact, be explained scientifically. I'd have to say they over-stepped the boundaries a bit. I don't think they had a frickin clue what the outcome was during S1.
I think they absolutely had a clue what the outcome was. But, until the mid point of S3, they didn't know how much time they had to get to that outcome.

Point A and Point B were known. The path from Point A to Point B probably changed and evolved many times.
Old 04-14-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I think it's ridiculous to assume he's wondering around in a confused state of shock with no idea that MiB was not John Locke.
It's been made pretty clear (at the end of the previous episode, actually) that Desmond now knows what's going on in BOTH realities and has a plan. He's not just running people down for petty revenge.
Old 04-14-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
It's been made pretty clear (at the end of the previous episode, actually) that Desmond now knows what's going on in BOTH realities and has a plan. He's not just running people down for petty revenge.
yeah he is not going to waste time doing the revenge kick, especially now that he has figured it out. I keep thinking back to how alternate Locke was told by alternate Jack that nothing is irreversible. Now that Locke is going to be going to the ER, no doubt Jack will work on him. Wonder if Jack will fix his back and have alternate Locke up and walking around.

As for the person who asked about the Willy Wonka promo, I saw it on my hero last night on youtube, just search Lost season 6 episode 13.

One theory that explains some of the crazy things, like Changs age....
It's all in one of their heads.

Daniel Faraday probably.
Old 04-14-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dino88
Desmond was not trying to kill Locke. If he wanted to kill him he wouldn't have ran into him and then sped off. If it was that important that Locke die, Desmond would have stuck around and made sure the job was finished.
If he had "stuck around", there was an increased chance that he would have been arrested. I think it's safe to say that Desmond has a lot more things to accomplish in this timeline before he is done. Being arrested would have hampered that.

If he really didn't want Locke to die, then he took a pretty big chance by running him over with a car. There's got to be a pretty high mortality rate there.
Old 04-14-10, 12:57 PM

I don't think he ran him down for revenge either. Everyone that he needs to "wake up" has to have something different shown to them is the way it seems.
Old 04-14-10, 01:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe he doesn't recognize Locke at all. Maybe he's just a jerk who gets off on running over guys in wheelchairs.
Old 04-14-10, 01:03 PM

he gets 50 points for every one he hits
Old 04-14-10, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by extreme2700
I don't think he ran him down for revenge either. Everyone that he needs to "wake up" has to have something different shown to them is the way it seems.
I don't think it was revenge either. It may just be that Locke is the key to the MiB's plan in both worlds, and it's safest to make sure Locke isn't around in this one.
Old 04-14-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
I don't think it was revenge either. It may just be that Locke is the key to the MiB's plan in both worlds, and it's safest to make sure Locke isn't around in this one.
If the goal was to kill off Locke then they wouldn't have shown him blinking his eyes like something was happening after he was hit. Alt Locke still has a play in this.
Old 04-14-10, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by s}{ammer
If the goal was to kill off Locke then they wouldn't have shown him blinking his eyes like something was happening after he was hit. Alt Locke still has a play in this.
I didn't see the eye blinking as anything more than shock of being run over.

I'm not saying it absolutely wasn't a ploy to get Locke to connect to the other timeline, but seems like a chat with Locke would have been a less intrusive way to get started than attempted murder. But crazier things have happened on this show, for sure.
Old 04-14-10, 01:27 PM

It's been mentioned a few times that in the alternate timeline, those who are dead in the original timeline are aware that something is not right. But is this true for everyone? Did Charlotte show any awareness of anything unusual going on? Locke? Boone? Keamy? Also, in earlier episodes this season, both Jack and Sawyer appeared to have moments of deja vu. I'm not so sure that it's accurate to say that the dead are more aware, not all of them anyway.
Old 04-14-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If he had "stuck around", there was an increased chance that he would have been arrested. I think it's safe to say that Desmond has a lot more things to accomplish in this timeline before he is done. Being arrested would have hampered that.

If he really didn't want Locke to die, then he took a pretty big chance by running him over with a car. There's got to be a pretty high mortality rate there.
I don't think he's worried about getting arrested. That's just silly. He committed a hit and run on a guy in a wheel chair in broad daylight, immediately after speaking with someone on the scene. If he wanted him dead there are more efficient and quieter ways of going about killing a handicapped man. No, he's definitely not worried about the police.

Last edited by dino88; 04-14-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
Maybe the whispers before were trying to warn the losties when the others were around? A guide of sorts?
Bingo. I mean most of the ghosts are probably the Dharma folks, so they're going to be afraid of the Others. So it makes sense that the whispers more likely emerge when the Others are around.
Old 04-14-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree. I think the blinking was Locke "remembering". The look of shock and confusion (which, I agree, could normally be easily explained for one who has just been hit by a car ) was just too similar to the look on Hugo's and Desmond's faces when they began to remember.
Old 04-14-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I disagree. I think the blinking was Locke "remembering". The look of shock and confusion (which, I agree, could normally be easily explained for one who has just been hit by a car ) was just too similar to the look on Hugo's and Desmond's faces when they began to remember.
I'm guessing we're going to see all of that from Locke's perspective coming soon.
Old 04-14-10, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I don't think he's worried about getting arrested. That's just silly. He committed a hit and run on a guy in a wheel chair in broad daylight, immediately after speaking with someone on the scene. If he wanted him dead there are more efficient and quieter ways of going about killing a handicapped man. No, he's definitely not worried about the police.
Then why did he change his license plates?

Old 04-14-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Hugo mentions his next awards dinner was for the HUMAN FUND.

I hear George Costanza is a big donor
Old 04-14-10, 02:04 PM

I'm not saying it absolutely wasn't a ploy to get Locke to connect to the other timeline, but seems like a chat with Locke would have been a less intrusive way to get started than attempted murder. But crazier things have happened on this show, for sure.
I'll say this again: It was a ploy, and not really that risky (compared to all else either). Remember, Charlie almost killed himself and Desmond in the alt to show Desmond, and Hurley went on a date with an insane person. Hitting someone with a car isn't that far of a reach. I believe Widmore said something to him, or that Desmond knows about the plane crash. That one event, which allowed Locke to walk, is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO HAPPEN TO HIM ON THE ISLAND. Desmond knows that an impact like a wreck is the only thing he can simulate to create the impact of a plane crash.

I believe that Locke's blinking was a CLEAR indication that he had snapped back into it, and clearly the impact had jogged his memory. I'm going to blow a gasket if he is able to walk after going to the hospital. I'm telling you guys, Locke is going to play a major role in the finale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.