Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who's going home?
Rupert Boneham (Pearl Islands, All-Stars)
16.67%
James Clement (China, Fans vs. Favorites)
50.00%
Colby Donaldson (Australian Outback, All-Stars)
33.33%
Amanda Kimmel (China, Fans vs. Favorites)
0%
JT Thomas (Tocantins)
0%
Candice Woodcock (Cook Islands)
8.33%
Tyson Apostol (Tocantins)
0%
Sandra Diaz (Pearl Islands)
0%
Danielle DiLorenzo (Panama)
0%
Russell Hantz (Samoa)
16.67%
Jerri Manthey (Australian Outback)
0%
Boston Rob Mariano (Marquesas, All-Stars)
25.00%
Parvati Shallow (Cook Islands, Fans vs. Favorites)
16.67%
Benjamin "Coach" Wade (Tocantins)
0%
Courtney Yates (China)
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

Originally Posted by Jeremy517

Russell talking long-term strategy starting at 0:23. He explains how taking a chance by giving the idol to Parvati is the best long-term option for him. He knows he could have kept the idol and voted for Parvati and been safe for sure, but he knew that taking a chance here was better for the long-term. "This is a chance I have to take. This is my only chance to go further in the game". Russell is probably the only one that understands +EV situations.

If you watch that and still think that Russell didn't think that Tyson was voting Parvati, and that the votes would be split, then you are blinded by dislike for Russell.
I've only skimmed some of the thread, but I am surprised if anyone isn't claiming Russell was bold to do what he did, but he had to have known a LOT more than they showed us to have gone for that. He had to be just about as certain as you can be on Survivor that Tyson was going to not go along with the plan. Still, when anything can happen, that was the boldest move I recall on Survivor.

But I can hardly mock Rob for being too certain. That's going down as maybe the dumbest move ever, so no one other than Tyson can take the blame.

The heroes are a joke and I'd be surprised if anyone from that group survives to the final 2 or 3. With Steph and Tom still there, both beyond stupid choices to be voted out, maybe they'd still be able to get back into things.

Russell can be discussed as one of the best, but it means nothing if he doesn't win. Russell is good at the challenges, but not great. He's not good at the social game other than the manipulation, and he's one of the best strategists ever to play the game-maybe the best. You have to balance all 3 to be a winner.

I know people still think he got robbed last season, but I've been coming to this thread since I joined and it's always eventually been accepted that no one wins by accident. If you get the jury to vote for you, you're the best player that season-even if the majority of fans think you didn't do enough to deserve the win.

We all judge the game differently. I personally love the physically dominant players or those who can start fire quicker or figure out a puzzle to HELP and LEAD their team. So, I'm a big Boston Rob fan because I like his style of play, but that hardly assures a player like that a win any longer against a "weaker" opponent. Getting the jury votes is all that counts in the end.

And props to Candice for battling Rob to the very end. I know she's not popular and I barely even remember her, but there have been so many women cast on this show over the last few seasons that basically just fall down after 2 minutes of a tough challenge and that was an impressive feat not just because she won against her tribe, but she gave Rob a real run for his money.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 03-25-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

And props to Courtney for battling Rob to the very end. I know she's not popular and I barely even remember her, but there have been so many women cast on this show over the last few seasons that basically just fall down after 2 minutes of a tough challenge and that was an impressive feat not just because she won against her tribe, but she gave Rob a real run for his money.
I guess you can barely remember her name too, it was Candice.
Old 03-25-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Your wife is mistaking Tyson for Erik.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMmEdEMbXL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OMmEdEMbXL8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I missed this season. That clip is painful to watch with all the ladies/jury laughing at the guy as he runs off into the darkness.
Old 03-25-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outcastja
I guess you can barely remember her name too, it was Candice.
I was editing at the exact time you "corrected" me. Check the edit time and your post time.

Considering I admitted in my post, I barely remembered her and have actually mentioned it in a few other threads this season, I'm glad your contribution to the thread was to try and call me out on something I called myself out on.

These Survivor threads used to be so much better back in the das monkey days.
Old 03-25-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I think I have asked before but I can't remember. What happened to das monkey?
Old 03-25-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I was editing at the exact time you "corrected" me. Check the edit time and your post time.

Considering I admitted in my post, I barely remembered her and have actually mentioned it in a few other threads this season, I'm glad your contribution to the thread was to try and call me out on something I called myself out on.

These Survivor threads used to be so much better back in the das monkey days.
I thought it was funny that's all, didn't think to myself woo hoo I'm going call you out on something. Anyway, I do agree with you that I miss the das monkey days. I loved reading his posts and thoughts on various shows. Especially that one thread where he posted his top 50 episodes of the year.
Old 03-25-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by outcastja
I thought it was funny that's all, didn't think to myself woo hoo I'm going call you out on something. Anyway, I do agree with you that I miss the das monkey days.
I get you. It just seems like there's so much more attacking in the tv threads, so I assumed you were being sarcastic about my post.

As much as I don't like using the emoticons, I try and throw in the wink as often as I can if I think my post could be misinterpreted.

It always was that way here, even I got heated a couple times, but it seems much more commonplace.

I try and never post in the Lost thread. It's insane in there with all the complaining.
Old 03-25-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I think I have asked before but I can't remember. What happened to das monkey?
I miss his postings here too. At least I get to see him at Dragon*Con once a year.
Old 03-25-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I missed this season. That clip is painful to watch with all the ladies/jury laughing at the guy as he runs off into the darkness.
That was probably the worst finals ever. I wish I would have missed it. I wonder how those harpies feel when the poor bastard killed himself 2 years later.
Old 03-25-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by freshticles
Russell is simply the best. He's bold as fuck, and has the brains to back it up.
I came in to post pretty much the exact same thing. He is the best to ever play this game. There have been some greats, of course. But Russell just owns this.
Old 03-26-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A great player would not have been on the outs and on the bottom 2 of the tribes totem pole to begin with.
Old 03-26-10, 10:36 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000
A great player would not have been on the outs and on the bottom 2 of the tribes totem pole to begin with.
A lot of that initial sorting out is just based on people's first impressions based on looks, similar interests, etc. Much of it doesn't have anything to do with playing the game. That he is able to overcome that is what makes him so good.
Old 03-26-10, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
That was probably the worst finals ever. I wish I would have missed it. I wonder how those harpies feel when the poor bastard killed himself 2 years later.
I can't find any info on this, were you just joking?
Old 03-26-10, 11:27 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
"I think that is what you call a life lesson." - Jeff
Old 03-26-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirgey
I can't find any info on this, were you just joking?

I've been scratching my head over that comment too.
Old 03-26-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I have missed the last 3-4 seasons, but was a hard core survivor nut back in the day. This season has been great! I am rooting for Rob, but having Russell there is great. He is a smart player and while I don't like him as much as Rob, if he can stay in it longer, he deserves it.
Old 03-26-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by parrotheads4

Russell is the best player ever. I wanted to hate this guy. I can't.
Everyone who refused to admit this last season can apologize now. That was masterful. Russell is never better than when he's 3 votes down. You plot against Russell, you gotta go!
Old 03-27-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I have a hard time calling someone who has needed an immunity idol multiple times to save himself masterful. A true master never needs to play an immunity idol b/c he or she is set up in the game. There have been players who have used their wits and not an idol to change votes and influence outcomes. Hell, Rob did it with one quick line in All-Stars. If you take Tyson at his word, no matter what the editing of the show seem to indicate, Russell talking to him had nothing to do with him changing his vote.

I'm not saying Russell hasn't made intelligent moves in the past. That would be stupid; Russell is a good strategic player, but his interpersonal skills seem to be lacking in some key area (no matter what all the Russell fanatics think, he's not the reigning Survivor champion for a reason), and his entire strategy seems to always be immunity idol based. On a personal note, I'm so tired of his BS that he's ruining for the show for me. I almost don't want to watch anymore, and there are some contestants this year that I really like (not that they ever get any air time). I've found myself fast forwarding through most of the Russell segments (and there are ALWAYS Russell segments) the last few weeks.

Who's the best player in Survivor history? In my mind, it's not Russell; it's Brian Heidik. He pulled off the impossible game (make final 2 alliances with three different people...have none of them figure it out...dump two of them...keep the weakest...and have the other two still be the deciding votes for him to win).

Last edited by mwbmis; 03-27-10 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Tyson

No, Tyson didn't give up his immunity in his original season, but he was still hugely blindsided, making him the winner in getting voted out twice in awesome fashion
Old 03-27-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Who's the best player in Survivor history? In my mind, it's not Russell; it's Brian Heidik. He pulled off the impossible game (make final 2 alliances with three different people...have none of them figure it out...dump two of them...keep the weakest...and have the other two still be the deciding votes for him to win).
Well yeah, Brian had someone just as detestable as Russell to go against. Clay was actually somewhat funny, though.

The impressive thing about Brian winning is that he's probably worse than Russell (and Clay) as a person, but he could fake his emotions enough to make people think he was a fun and caring guy.
Old 03-27-10, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
Well yeah, Brian had someone just as detestable as Russell to go against. Clay was actually somewhat funny, though.

The impressive thing about Brian winning is that he's probably worse than Russell (and Clay) as a person, but he could fake his emotions enough to make people think he was a fun and caring guy.
That's why he was smart to pick Clay. By that point, Helen and Ted would have beaten him, but half the tribe HATED Clay.

Brian came off as a pretty repugnant human being in his confessionals, but he certainly managed to snow over pretty much everyone in the game until almost the very end, but by that point there wasn't anyone left in the game who could touch him in the challenges.

He pulled the Survivor trifecta...social game, physical game, and strategic game better than anyone in Survivor history. In terms of trifecta only Tom Westman and maybe JT come close, but both of them had strategic partners; Brian did it all on his own. No one knew what he was truly up to.
Old 03-27-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis

He pulled the Survivor trifecta...social game, physical game, and strategic game better than anyone in Survivor history. In terms of trifecta only Tom Westman and maybe JT come close, but both of them had strategic partners; Brian did it all on his own. No one knew what he was truly up to.
Props to you remembering those past seasons. I had to look up Brian, and I still don't remember him at all. Since you seem to remember most of the seasons, which players would crack your top ten list?
Old 03-27-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
A lot of that initial sorting out is just based on people's first impressions based on looks, similar interests, etc. Much of it doesn't have anything to do with playing the game. That he is able to overcome that is what makes him so good.

Certainly a player can be harmed by first impressions or just being on a tribe where the demographics work against them however in Russells case he has of his own free will chosen to allocate what should be a players most precious resource his time flirting and buddying up to Parvati .
Old 03-27-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Everyone who refused to admit this last season can apologize now. That was masterful. Russell is never better than when he's 3 votes down.
To be the best in an individual game you gotta win.

He is still not better then any of the 19 other players to win this game and a case can easily be made among non winners that Fairplay or Cirie are better at the game on all levels.
Old 03-27-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Boston Rob was easily the best strategic/manipulative player the game has seen (who also did not win in his two seasons, though he hand selected the final in All-Stars), but Russell knocked him down a peg. He hasn't made it past Rob yet, but if Russell somehow pulls this off he will assume the throne (likewise, if Rob takes out Russel barring something completely unforeseen his crown is safe). No player has done so much with so little. Every week it looks like the guy should go, the votes are against him, everyone hates him, blah blah blah, and he still has yet to be voted out. He has ousted more players with fewer votes than anyone in Survivor history. And HIIs are part of the game for all players, not just him. Anyone else could do what he does with them, but yet time and time again they don't and he does. Either they are dumb or he is smart, take your pick. Either they are lazy or he works hard, take your pick. At this point no sane person can possibly claim it is luck.

And to all of the "Jeff's blog is biased" nonsense, his opinions are after seeing him play. Russell is not related to Jeff, Jeff was not paid by Russell, nor is there any other reason I know of that Jeff needed to single out Russell other than he just watched him kick some ass for two seasons, one against some of the best of all time to play the game. Russell was not pre-selected for these edits and comments, he was post-selected. Think about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.