Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who's going home?
Rupert Boneham (Pearl Islands, All-Stars)
16.67%
James Clement (China, Fans vs. Favorites)
50.00%
Colby Donaldson (Australian Outback, All-Stars)
33.33%
Amanda Kimmel (China, Fans vs. Favorites)
0%
JT Thomas (Tocantins)
0%
Candice Woodcock (Cook Islands)
8.33%
Tyson Apostol (Tocantins)
0%
Sandra Diaz (Pearl Islands)
0%
Danielle DiLorenzo (Panama)
0%
Russell Hantz (Samoa)
16.67%
Jerri Manthey (Australian Outback)
0%
Boston Rob Mariano (Marquesas, All-Stars)
25.00%
Parvati Shallow (Cook Islands, Fans vs. Favorites)
16.67%
Benjamin "Coach" Wade (Tocantins)
0%
Courtney Yates (China)
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains - 3/24/10 (Wednesday Night!)

The Rob/Russell rivalry is epic. I'm not sure anything can top it. They may as well make this the last season of Survivor.
Old 03-27-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For lack of time I haven't read through all 6 pages yet, but I'm going back and forth on if Russell's move was the best one. I will say I didn't see it coming and it keeps his voting block together. On the other hand, had he stayed with the plan he was talking about where he votes Parvati, and not played the idol knowing he's probably safe, he could hang on to it that much longer. I think maybe he learned from Samoa that it's good not to burn everyone, and keep some people loyal to you. He has Parvati fully in his pocket now after he saved her ass last night.
Old 03-27-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle

And to all of the "Jeff's blog is biased" nonsense, his opinions are after seeing him play. Russell is not related to Jeff, Jeff was not paid by Russell, nor is there any other reason I know of that Jeff needed to single out Russell other than he just watched him kick some ass for two seasons, one against some of the best of all time to play the game. Russell was not pre-selected for these edits and comments, he was post-selected. Think about it.
Jeff doesn't see them play barring medievacuating someone he only see's them at challenges and at tribal councils where he is caught up by Production beforehand to give him questions to ask. The game at it's core is about personal inter personal relationship's or lack thereof and Jeff only see's a small fraction of that since that 95% occurs at camp.

Post show he has developed friendships with several players or he has been cold shouldered by them which effects his opinion, not to mention his weird man crushes he has developed in the past over people like Russell,Coach Colby,Andrew Savage from Pearl Islands and so his opinion should be viewed in it's proper context.His opinions are more skewered since he is viewing things from the propsective sometime of a fanboy instead of a neutral outsider. Add another layer of that he is on the shows payroll so his self interest will always be to promote players who are the bigger charecter's .It is neither in his interest or the shows if he talks highly of someone playing a really good game if they are boring tv and will be relagated to an extra in the tv edit.
Old 03-27-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The Rob/Russell rivalry is epic. I'm not sure anything can top it. They may as well make this the last season of Survivor.
It is repetitive.

Each of them repeat ad nausem the same thing over and over about how great they are at the game with very little new insights.
Old 03-27-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,026 Likes on 846 Posts

Brian Heidek played a great game against some really lame competition
Old 03-27-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
It is repetitive.

Each of them repeat ad nausem the same thing over and over about how great they are at the game with very little new insights.
That's a hilarious comment coming from you.
Old 03-27-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
--
Old 03-27-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
Props to you remembering those past seasons. I had to look up Brian, and I still don't remember him at all. Since you seem to remember most of the seasons, which players would crack your top ten list?
No spoilers for this season, just lengthy

Spoiler:

Never made a "top 10 list", but here's my opinion on some of the past big players (I'm sure most people don't really care so skip to the next post).

Rich Hatch...set the blueprint for how Survivor is played. I think his overall game play is slightly overrated b/c it's balanced against most people not having any clue. Still, I think you have to put him up there.

Colby - Michael Skupin injury aside, he played a great game and would be an all-time great if he hadn't been so stupid to take Tina to the finals. As for Tina herself, she's the first coattail winner, but part of the game is getting people to like you and want you to win a million dollars (I'm looking at you Russell).

Season 3...the best player was probably Lex, but he was too paranoid and strange to be a "great" player.

Season 4...no great players (including Rob). Kathy and Pasquale were good players.

Season 5 -the aforementioned Brian Heidek. As for his competition being weak, you work with or against what is there. He won rather easily.

Season 6 - Cesternino was a good player, but he started overthinking things towards the end, and that along with the fact that he wasn't a good challenger competitor cost him.

Season 7 - I think the whole season is skewed b/c of the Outcast tribe. Hard to call anyone great.

Allstars - Clearly Rob played the dominant game, but it was a losing game. He could never win the votes with that game. He only "won" b/c he ended up marrying the winner.

This is where I have to look up the order of seasons...

Vanuatu...Chris won, but I thought Twila played the best game. She just put herself in an impossible position with the jury votes. She needed to win the final challenge and take Scout to the end. Chris also nearly blew it for himself with how he got rid of Eliza and Julie Berry.

Tom - a great dominant player in charge of probably the best pre-merge tribe in Survivor history. He gets a lot of credit for that. Ian could have challenged him in the end, but he flaked out in the last challenge.

Guatemala...Rafe played the best game until he blew it the end. He had Stef taking the falls for all of his moves. However, he let Danni stay in the game too long (way too many friends on the jury) then let her off the hook with actually taking him to the finals. He just blew it.

Panama...Aras was ok; there have been worse winners. Terry was good at challenges but was far from a strategic genius. Still, he should have been on this season. Cirie was a good strategic player with a great social game, but her physical game will always be a debit to her b/c her social game is so obviously good. No one ever wants to face her at the end. She had to win her way to final 2.

Yul...the first player to ever really effectively use the immunity idol and should belong on anyone's top list. Obviously, he had help from Ozzy in winning the challenges and strategically from Becky, but he set the agenda and was rightfully viewed as the leader thus getting himself the win in the greatest final 2 of all time (yes, I know it was a final 3 and Becky was there, but the only reason we ever got Ozzy vs Yul was b/c it was a final 3...they would have never have taken each other). On a personal note, he was one of my favorite winners. I really liked how he played the game.

Fiji - a bad season with a great player. Yau is most remembered, but Earl played the best game. He even correctly cut Yau lose at the end. He's the first unanimous winner for a reason (Tom should have been, but Coby was acting bitchy with the vote).

China...for the bulk of the season Todd and Amanda were both superior players and one of the best partnerships in Survivor history (though Aaron getting cut w/o them having to do anything was a big plus for them). However, Amanda let Todd be the public mastermind a few too many times, then completely tanked starting at around final five. The right person won, and I think takes his place among the best of Survivor. Amanda...well she finished third to Courtney.

Micronesia...the spot for Parvati to shine. Caught a MAJOR break with Penner's injury as he had her number and the votes to get rid of her. After that she lucked out with it being a final 2 (no Cirie) and won the hearts and minds b/c Amanda sucks at final tribal.

Gabon...I have a hard time calling anyone a great player. Sugar controlled the vote the latter part of the season, but she made counter intuitive moves and was not popular with other contestants. It was a strange game to try to become more popular with viewers.

Tocantins...JT takes his place among Survivor's best. I think Stephen should get a nod here as well. He just put himself in a bad spot by having his two closest allies be people he could never beat in a vote (JT and Taj).

Samoa...obviously Russell was the dominant player. Caught a break with the disorganization that occured in the other tribe after the other Russell was evacuated. If that Russell stays I think the whole latter half of the season is different (Erik doesn't go first for starters). Still, you play with what your dealt, and he did a great job getting to the finals. He also did a poor job in getting people to want to vote for him.

Old 03-27-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane
Old 03-27-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rafe, ugh.

That guy had it made in the shade and then got as stupid as Tyson. Seriously, that guy threw away a million dollars because he got all pissy over Cindy wanting to keep the car she won for herself. He was clearly one of the best ever outside of that, a real triple threat in that season.
Old 03-27-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Great recap of the seasons, mwbmis.
Old 03-27-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No spoilers for this season, just lengthy

Spoiler:

Yul...the first player to ever really effectively use the immunity idol and should belong on anyone's top list.

Umm the Immunity Idol rules for that season and EI made it impossible to be voted out because you could play it after the vote so unless people were on a suicide mission they were not gonna vote for you.

They changed the rules after his season because anyone from thereafter would have had to be an utter moron if they didn't make the finals if they were the one who found the Idol.

He is in the bottom tier of winners because he had to make 1 move all season get Johnathan to flip and he did it because Johnathan was afraid to go against the person with the Idol.

This is also the first time I actually even payed listen to conspiracy theory people because of all the arbitraries things which ended up stacked in his favor like the bottle twist that forced the other tribe to vote out 2 people after losing 1 challenge which has never happened before or since in Survivor and the fact Yul was the only player in the show history who could use the HII at every tribal council(Terry the season before had to play it by f4 when ftc was a f2 as opposed to a f3 in Yul's season and the seasons after Yul you could only play it to f5 or f6.
Old 03-27-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by the big train
Rafe, ugh.
I agree in dissapointment of Rafe. Had he kept his head in check the last few rounds he could have not only won by a large margin against Stephanie but I think he would have had a case as the most well rounded winner without a flaw in his game. He was well liked,respected by his tribemates,and he effectively figured early on who he could beat in the finals and worked his game around that.
Old 03-27-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Umm the Immunity Idol rules for that season and EI made it impossible to be voted out because you could play it after the vote so unless people were on a suicide mission they were not gonna vote for you.

They changed the rules after his season because anyone from thereafter would have had to be an utter moron if they didn't make the finals if they were the one who found the Idol.

He is in the bottom tier of winners because he had to make 1 move all season get Johnathan to flip and he did it because Johnathan was afraid to go against the person with the Idol.

This is also the first time I actually even payed listen to conspiracy theory people because of all the arbitraries things which ended up stacked in his favor like the bottle twist that forced the other tribe to vote out 2 people after losing 1 challenge which has never happened before or since in Survivor and the fact Yul was the only player in the show history who could use the HII at every tribal council(Terry the season before had to play it by f4 when ftc was a f2 as opposed to a f3 in Yul's season and the seasons after Yul you could only play it to f5 or f6.
You are right those were the rules to the immunity idol, but it was hardly impossible to be voted out. A big reason why Penner flipped was b/c his alliance wouldn't listen to him when he told them that Yul had the idol and were insisting on voting him out first. If they vote out Becky or Sundra first, then split the votes the next time Yul would have had to play the idol. After that you could vote out Yul any time you wanted.

Since Penner always had a mutually respectful relationship with Yul it wasn't difficult to leverage the idol to flip him. In terms of Yul doing nothing else, late in the game he cut a big deal with Adam before the finals to secure Adam's vote, and given that all the other votes together equated a tie Adam's vote ended up being pretty important. Adam also said later that if it wasn't for the deal he would have voted for Ozzy. Why did Adam to go to Yul for the deal and not Ozzy? B/C he knew Yul was in charge.

In terms of other things that "rigged" the game for Yul...the producers didn't pick Yul to go to Exile Island to find the idol. The producers didn't force Adam's tribe to lose the challenge that had two members voted out. Remember by that point there were only Ozzy, Yul, Becky, & Sundra on the other. While both Ozzy and Yul were terrific, Becky and Sundra were much less so, especially compared to Candice and Parvati. If that underdog foursome had lost once they were done as a force in the game. And the reason why they were only four was b/c of another twist in the game that certainly wasn't beneficial to Yul.

Also, when it came time to vote the two members out it wasn't the producers who told Adam and the gang to vote out Jenny instead of Penner. Jenny didn't like Yul and Becky at all; she never would have flipped.
Old 03-27-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You are right those were the rules to the immunity idol, but it was hardly impossible to be voted out. A big reason why Penner flipped was b/c his alliance wouldn't listen to him when he told them that Yul had the idol and were insisting on voting him out first. If they vote out Becky or Sundra first, then split the votes the next time Yul would have had to play the idol. After that you could vote out Yul any time you wanted.
That doesn't remotely make sense if say they agreed to vote out Becky at f9 at f8 if Yul,Sundra and Ozzy vote one way and the 5 other people split their vote 1 of them could still get idoled out with a 3-3-2 vote.

Assuming they dont do that and vote out just play it safe and all vote Becky and Sundra and F9 and F8 at f7 they can't vote Ozzy since he was unbeatable at challenges from that round on and if they try and take out Yul's idol at f7 one of them would have to be the sacrifical lamb.
Old 03-28-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who says Nathan doesn't beat Ozzy at one of those challenges? You change the contestants and the parameters you can change the results.

Looking backward we know Ozzy dominated all the challenges that season, but the contestants don't know that he can't ever be beaten at the time of the votes. Also at a certain point maybe Ozzy jumps ship. He was working on a side alliance with Nathan, and his alliance with Yul and the gang was really only an alliance of circumstance and convenience. If your suggestion holds maybe he tells Yul that's he's voting Adam but then votes Penner with Nathan. There are lots of ways to get rid of Yul. It was not an unbeatable idol.

What they did do didn't make any sense either, and it cost them all the game.

You won't ever convince me that Yul wasn't a great player.
Old 03-28-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You won't ever convince me that Yul wasn't a great player.
I am not saying he was a bad player just that he had a built in advantage no other player in the shows history had so when comparing what other people like Tom,Vee,Chris,Danni,JT or even Amber had to overcome it makes their accomplishment of winning stand out even more.
Old 03-28-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who says Nathan doesn't beat Ozzy at one of those challenges?
I guess those players couldn't have known Ozzy would win those challenges from f7 since they have no clue what kind of challenges the Producers have set up. However I think it is fair to estimate even with Nate or Candice still around at f7 onward Ozzy still destroys everyone at the challenges from there on out because all the immunities play into his 2 strenghts where he destroyed everyone at swimming and endurance challenges.
Old 03-28-10, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Jeff doesn't see them play barring medievacuating someone he only see's them at challenges and at tribal councils where he is caught up by Production beforehand to give him questions to ask. The game at it's core is about personal inter personal relationship's or lack thereof and Jeff only see's a small fraction of that since that 95% occurs at camp.

Post show he has developed friendships with several players...
Old 03-28-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So a buddy of mine says to me, "You gotta go to youtube and re-watch the villains tribal council! Rob's reactions while Jeff was reading the votes weren't actually his reactions from that tribal council!" So, I go check out the video and yes, there were a couple of times where they panned over to Rob and he had his hat on and couple of other times he didn't have it on. So they edited it, big f-ing deal. The thing that really pissed me off was right there, below the video, first fucking comment, "*insert survivor name here* wins Heroes vs. Villains!" You gotta be fucking kidding me! I knew there was a rumor going around that the final 3 had been revealed but the winner too? WTF? How did this information get out? It hasn't in previous Survivor seasons. Now I'm pissed.
Old 03-28-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Setzer
So a buddy of mine says to me, "You gotta go to youtube and re-watch the villains tribal council! Rob's reactions while Jeff was reading the votes weren't actually his reactions from that tribal council!" So, I go check out the video and yes, there were a couple of times where they panned over to Rob and he had his hat on and couple of other times he didn't have it on. So they edited it, big f-ing deal. The thing that really pissed me off was right there, below the video, first fucking comment, "*insert survivor name here* wins Heroes vs. Villains!" You gotta be fucking kidding me! I knew there was a rumor going around that the final 3 had been revealed but the winner too? WTF? How did this information get out? It hasn't in previous Survivor seasons. Now I'm pissed.
That's pretty sad you can't watch a clip on YT without seeing a spoiler.
Old 03-28-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's a CBS conspiracy to make us watch the broadcast instead of YT!
Old 03-29-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Thought the same exact thing...

Russell is solid gold.. Definitely one of the best Survivors ever IMO.
Old 03-29-10, 02:01 PM

There have always been spoilers for Survivor. For some reason, this season, they're EVERYWHERE on the internet.

My sister got spoiled on this Thursday's boot from watching a YouTube video. I'd definitely warn anyone wishing to remain unspoiled to stay away from COMMENTS on any Survivor related website (CBS.com, EW.com, YouTube, etc.)

If we're getting back to Russell, let's not forget that he doesn't bathe and smells like sin. Another reason why he'll never be the best Survivor player.
Old 03-29-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TwineTime
If we're getting back to Russell, let's not forget that he doesn't bathe and smells like sin. Another reason why he'll never be the best Survivor player.
I would think everyone smells like ass... I mean, there is no soap (usually in one of the reward challenges but none yet) and I wouldn't think scrubbing with salt water would do much.. Maybe it does though..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.