The Pacific -- "Part Two" -- 03/21/10

Old 03-21-10, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The Pacific -- "Part Two" -- 03/21/10

The Pacific

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The fighting continues for the 1st Marine Division on Guadalcanal through the end of 1942, including machine gunner John Basilone's heroics during a desperate defense of the airfield by Lt. Col. "Chesty" Puller's outnumbered 7th Marine Regiment.

I'm going to watch the premiere on HBO's website, which I'm surprised to see there. If I really love it, then I may consider investing the $45 or so to watch the rest for 3 months. Otherwise, I will wait until it comes out on DVD in November.
Old 03-21-10, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Pacific -- "Part Two" -- 03/21/10

No replies yet....I guess I'll add the obligatory 'Can't wait!'
Old 03-21-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to this tonight. I'm glad Breaking Bad and The Pacific are back to back (8 and 9 central)
Old 03-21-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would say 'can't wait', but i'm actually dvr'ing, so i can watch the ufc fight live
Old 03-21-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I would say 'can't wait', but i'm actually dvr'ing, so i can watch the ufc fight live
Me too.
Old 03-21-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good ep.

I really like how this illustrated the fact that during war, what some people consider simple pleasures seem like luxuries. Such as the soldiers getting psyched over a box of crackers, or how Leckie and his friends treated cups of coffee like it was wine. Just goes to show how many in that generation truly know how to value what many now take for granted.

I also think I know why this show seems like it runs short each week, it takes about five minutes to run the credits.
Old 03-21-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yea I'm kinda disappointed that the episodes aren't running a full hour but 52 minutes.

Regardless, another great episode.
Old 03-21-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

fuckin awesome episode
Old 03-22-10, 12:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Great episode.

Loved the scene where they raided the army camp
Old 03-22-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great episode. That was some intense combat, especially the hand-to-hand stuff.
Old 03-22-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Another good ep.

I really like how this illustrated the fact that during war, what some people consider simple pleasures seem like luxuries. Such as the soldiers getting psyched over a box of crackers, or how Leckie and his friends treated cups of coffee like it was wine. Just goes to show how many in that generation truly know how to value what many now take for granted.

I also think I know why this show seems like it runs short each week, it takes about five minutes to run the credits.
those are some long credits arent they?
Old 03-22-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another good ep... Brings up a question I have since I dont know economics of the military and what not. But this is the third time in the past few months Ive seen/read this, but why does one arm of the military (the Army in each case) seem to always have better supplies/money than another (the Marines in each case as well)? Last night it was the case, I recently seen it mentioned in a movie I was watching (possibly the Hurt Locker but cant remember) and also mentioned in a book I was reading (joker One). Just something I don't know anything about really and really had me thinking last night.
Old 03-22-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Great episode.

Loved the scene where they raided the army camp
That was great. I would imagine that happened quite often.
Old 03-22-10, 10:22 AM

Awesome episode! The audio track is just amazing! My sub was cranking during the air raid.
Old 03-22-10, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
yea I'm kinda disappointed that the episodes aren't running a full hour but 52 minutes.

Regardless, another great episode.
Band of Brothers was the same way.
Old 03-22-10, 10:31 AM

A buddy of mine was a Marine several years ago, and I think he's told the the same thing before, that the Marines are a bunch of hardcore soldiers who get the hand me downs from the previous generation. Don't know if this is still true but you're not the only one that's heard it.

Excellent episode! I was LOL at the Army camp raid, and at the scenes where wave after wave of Japanese soldiers were mowed down by John Basilone and the rest of the 7th Marines. One confusion I had was which group Leckie was in and where they were in relation to Basilone's group. It seemed like they were nearly in the same scenes sometimes but I wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Another good ep... Brings up a question I have since I dont know economics of the military and what not. But this is the third time in the past few months Ive seen/read this, but why does one arm of the military (the Army in each case) seem to always have better supplies/money than another (the Marines in each case as well)? Last night it was the case, I recently seen it mentioned in a movie I was watching (possibly the Hurt Locker but cant remember) and also mentioned in a book I was reading (joker One). Just something I don't know anything about really and really had me thinking last night.

Last edited by bdshort; 03-22-10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gun fire for a solid 15 minutes straight. That was just an intense scene.
Old 03-22-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Reminds me of this quote from Generation Kill:

You want logistics, join the army. Marines make do.
Old 03-22-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another outstanding episode. I like the job they are doing of weaving together the stories of the various characters; this has to be a lot tougher than Band of Brothers because the main characters here were really involved in totally separate stories.
Old 03-22-10, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok.

So questions.

Spoiler:

Was the guy that got shot in the neck, was he the one that's friends with the guy that had heart trouble?

Is Chase from 24's group of guys...in a different unit then the NCO trio? (now down to 2 with gonzalez dying last night).

I never see them together..so I wonder if they are in a different unit.
Old 03-22-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Superdeluxe, the answer to your first question is no. Sledge's friend is in Bob Leckie's unit. That was Basilone's unit that was getting shot at in that scene.
Old 03-22-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Gun fire for a solid 15 minutes straight. That was just an intense scene.
I think this was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a war movie.

Although different, I think it rivals the opening of Saving Private Ryan and definitely anything in Band of Brothers.

How bout Leckie (I think it was Leckie) getting third degree burns from his gun because he lost his glove? Holy smokes!

This episode ruled on so many levels and so far I think, based on the first 2 episodes, that The Pacific is at least on par with Band of Brothers. I really hope the quality of the last 8 are as good as the first 2. If that's the case, then I think The Pacific might even end up being BETTER than Band of Brothers.

One thing I really like and definitely hope continues, is the use of real footage at the beginning of each episode. Tom Hanks' commentary is ok...nothing groundbreaking but I LOVE seeing the actual footage with the real soliders talking in the background. That's super cool.

This series is the ONLY thing I actually look forward to watching each week. I don't watch many shows, but the ones I do watch definitely sit for a couple days from time to time, but I make a point of watching this live. This so blows away anything else on tv it's not even funny.
Old 03-22-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, that was a fantastic episode. tons of action and really showed how it was back then. the raid to get the Army supplies was fantastic.

next week looks semi-boring
Spoiler:
looks like it's going to be more drama stuff rather than war action. guess we can't have kickass war scenes all the time.
Old 03-22-10, 04:19 PM
En vacance

Did anyone catch the first episode on channel 101 on directtv? i dont have HBO but was really surprised that i did a doubletake last time that it was actually showing on that channel like nothing. Is it just for the first episode or is the whole mini series airing on there?
Old 03-22-10, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post

How bout Leckie (I think it was Leckie) getting third degree burns from his gun because he lost his glove? Holy smokes!
Basilone.

Is it really that hard to tell these two apart?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.