TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Originally Posted by mugwump
I'm pretty sure it's Vincent they have locked up in that room on the sub. He's going to be the new Jacob mark my words.
I think it is Desmond and they have him sequestered to maintain his connection between the two timelines as he is the Constant.
Old 03-17-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Can't Flocke turn into Smoke and head off to Brazil or something? What constrains him to the island? I wonder if he was even capable of going over to the Hydra Island?
He came back from Hydra Island after the plane crashed. He assumed Locke's identity as soon as that plane crashed there.
Old 03-17-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Don't forget though people have invested YEARS of their lives to this so they are entitled to what they want.
People have invested years of their lives in Grey's Anatomy and American Idol and will get shit when those shows end. I would rather watch 10 filler episodes of LOST over 1 episode of either of those previously mentioned shows.
Old 03-17-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Sorry, but no one has ever critiqued 90% a painting. Or 90% of a movie. Or drank wine made with 90% of its ingredients. I just think it's pretty foolish to try to do that with any TV series, especially one of this nature.
My response to this is that usually 20 minutes before a movie is over or 100 pages from the end of a 700 page book...I can tell if the creators know where things are going. I don't get that feeling from LOST. To keep going with your analogy, the first few seasons retained a sense of mystery (like the first half of a movie or book might), because it felt like things were moving in a direction. Now, during the last season (and the fifth season too with the time travel) it seems (TO ME) that the creators don't know how to end their story, so they invent new characters, change the rules of the universe and attempt to retcon everything into the vague foreshadowing from the first season that frankly could mean anything.

Hell, during the first season I thought the black and white stones and splitting of the group indicated it would all come down to Jack vs. Locke. Which it could have...no need to introduce new good/bad guys. We already had two people who could have ultimately "battled it out" for the Island.

It's all fine and good to say that we should wait it out before passing judgment. And if they pull it together at the end and make it make sense, I'll be the first to say "bravo". But they have given me zero indication so far that they will do that successfully and that's my biggest problem with this season so far: it's nothing but anticipation for what they MIGHT do.

Last edited by Draven; 03-17-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 08:22 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I would rather watch 10 filler episodes of LOST over 1 episode of either of those previously mentioned shows.
cosigns
Old 03-17-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 677 Likes on 526 Posts

I don't get the cake video. Why is that funny?
Old 03-17-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Personally I enjoyed this episode. What can I say, I like "what if..." stories.

I'm still leaning towards the "flash sideways" as the epilogue even though I don't know how it all first together especially with the bomb. Maybe the resolution of the "current" island events will allow for the sideways affect. If so, I find a season devoted to "ever after" a lot better than a 3 minute montage.

There are a few questions/issues I'd like explanations for. Perhaps they were already addressed, but I do not recall anything.

1) Did we ever find out why the Freighter Crew (Miles, Frank, Faraday, etc.) were so emotional when we were first introduced to them? For some reason they just sat there crying at the news reports on 815. I know Frank was befuddled because he was supposed to be flying, but the others I don't really recall answers.

2) Why did Faraday have, "If anything happens Desmond Hume is your constant." in his notebook? Was he "crazy" until he read that and then fixed? Or was it hinting at something else that we never saw coming.
Old 03-17-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
For clarification: I have a problem with people (not limited to this forum mind you) who keep bitching after each episode this season, that the season as whole is terrible because not every mystery has been solved yet. My point was that there is essentially an entire season (in general TV terms) left, let the creators finish their job and then you can criticize that you never found out if the green beans from the Dharma drops were french cut or not.
Yeah, but there's a real problem with the show if someone can't enjoy the individual episodes until after watching the entire season/series. So, this whole "wait until the end of the season to complain" attitude is just BS. If people are not liking every episode this season, there's a problem with this season.

Personally, I've enjoyed most of this season. Last night's episode just happened to place an increased focus on the one part of this season I have loathed.
Old 03-17-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
You intentionally mischaracterize everything people who "complain" about the show say to act like what we say has no merit. Very few, if any, people in this thread haven't given real explanations as to why they don't like the way the show is headed. We are fans of the show, despite the fact that we aren't too happy with the current direction. We have watched the same episodes you have. We are just as devoted. I have read every thread posted here on DVDtalk. I was here since the beginning. You are not a "better" fan than me because you like the current direction and I don't.

For someone who calls people idiots who complain, your analogies regarding critique of only "part" of a show are frankly stupid. Each episode can be judged on its own merits, even this show. Jack's tatoos episode. Do you have to wait until the finale airs to say that episode sucked?

If the discussion isn't to your liking on this board, and this is one of the best boards on the internet to discuss anything, than I don't know what to tell you. Your personal attacks don't further any discussion, and our complaints about certain aspects of the show do. Despite your frustration with it, they are valid things to discuss. Do you see us complaining that people like the show? So why do you act like you were raped in the ass when people say they didn't like it? The hostility in this thread is more ridiculous than any "whining" that you perceive.

If you don't like the complaining, don't read it. Skip to your floating island posts. I am able to discuss all aspects of the show, but I felt that after this episode I wanted to discuss why I am unhappy with the direction.
Hey, I feel like I am sawyer and I am going back and forth in my allegiances, and which person I think is the good side to be on. Previously, I replied to darkest phoenix's response to all the people who are complaining about the lack of answers.

I thought to myself "I feel that we are getting answers at the right pace, and I am ok with not getting all the answers immediately, and I am also kind of getting tired of reading posts about people who are pissed off that they are not getting any answers, and we are 7 episodes into the season......and the producers said we would get answers this season... "

So I replied with approval towards him in my agreement with his statement..........(even though he is a person who I don't think I like too much, based on his previous posts about me.)

But now I just read your response to him........ I think I like your response better than his response.....You DO have a right to feel the way you do.........AND EXPRESS IT wherever you see fit. You are a lost fan......you have the right, to be not totally psyched about this season, and express why you feel that way.
I have switched sides,,,,,,,,I am on your team now. We can win.........

Happy hopefully inebriated St. Patrick's Day!
Old 03-17-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

How come Kate, Sawyer, etc., aren't asking fake Locke obvious questions like "Who the hell are you?" "Where did you come from?" "How did you get here?" "How long have you been here?" "How come you look like John Locke" "How can you turn into a monster made of smoke?" "Where the hell are we that it's possible for a Smoke Monster to exist and smoke can take the form of a dead human?"
Old 03-17-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
How come Kate, Sawyer, etc., aren't asking fake Locke obvious questions like "Who the hell are you?" "Where did you come from?" "How did you get here?" "How long have you been here?" "How come you look like John Locke" "How can you turn into a monster made of smoke?" "Where the hell are we that it's possible for a Smoke Monster to exist and smoke can take the form of a dead human?"
Because they are not you
Old 03-17-10, 09:39 PM
ATX

^ because i guess after a while when you see an island dissapear, run from killer smoke, and travel back in time you get kinda numb/desensitised

i did at least though wanted Kate to question why *Locke* is alive, instead of just casually saying "...blah blah, coming from a dead man..."

but i guess seeing Sayid come back alive, undead Locke was no big deal
Old 03-17-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I am picking up on in this season: Smokie seems to be shooting it straight with people who are still candidates. He almost seems to compelled to be honest with them (while perhaps not being completely forthright). Has he told any of them anything that is obviously a lie at this point?
Old 03-17-10, 09:56 PM
ATX

^ what are you talking about... he been lieing to everybody

the most recent obvious lie he told was to Ben, telling him he wanted him to look after the island... when he had previously told Sawyer that the island didn't need protecting
Old 03-17-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was talking about to candidates. Ben isn't a candidate. Neither is Claire. I know he lied to her too.
Old 03-17-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
^ because i guess after a while when you see an island dissapear, run from killer smoke, and travel back in time you get kinda numb/desensitised

i did at least though wanted Kate to question why *Locke* is alive, instead of just casually saying "...blah blah, coming from a dead man..."

but i guess seeing Sayid come back alive, undead Locke was no big deal
True, they've seen some fantastic things on this island, but don't you think after seeing so many unbelievable things they would be eager to get some answers (like most viewers), especially now that they're finally in contact with someone who seems like he has those answers? I find it hard to believe that they don't bother to ask, not to mention disappointing as a viewer who's gone along with them on this fantastic journey. In the previous episode, even though Richard wouldn't tell Jack where he'd come from, I was happy Jack asked him the question because it just seemed like an obvious thing to ask. And at the end of last season, I was happy when someone (Kate) finally asked, "When did it become ok to blow up hydrogen bombs and shoot kids?"
Old 03-17-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is this thing they were putting up?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

The look like they have the same orbs the pillar's had. The ones that kept out Smokie and the Losties from the Dharma camp.
Old 03-18-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 502 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
What is this thing they were putting up?

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

The look like they have the same orbs the pillar's had. The ones that kept out Smokie and the Losties from the Dharma camp.
It was mentioned in the episode as being the same pylons they used to keep out Smokey previously. It was a direct quote from Sawyer to Flocke.
Old 03-18-10, 12:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe I've had too much Guinness, but I had a revelation, maybe it's been posted before:

The locked cabin contains Aaron. Not only that, but Aaron is the MIB. The MIB is trying to prevent/reverse the series of events that result in him being trapped on the island for hundreds of years.

It may not be right, but it all fits. Just throwing it out there.
Old 03-18-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny... I was thinking the same thing today, and as a result of this week's episode. It was the talk between Flocke and Sawyer over Claire and Aaron. I hope we are both right on the money here because I'm still not satisfied with how Aaron might fit into the show's mythology and they have teased us for years about him. I've assumed since last season that he would be brought back into play in a huge way as a result of time travel. I guess we'll wait and see.
Old 03-18-10, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran across this tattoo of Shannon:

Weird, but well done.
Old 03-18-10, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thoughts on this episode: meh.

thoughts on this thread: wow.

Lets see what they do with their extra 6 minutes next week.
Old 03-18-10, 05:27 AM
ATX

Originally Posted by Groucho
Maybe I've had too much Guinness, but I had a revelation, maybe it's been posted before:

The locked cabin contains Aaron. Not only that, but Aaron is the MIB. The MIB is trying to prevent/reverse the series of events that result in him being trapped on the island for hundreds of years.

interesting theory...

Smocke posed as Christian to purposely get crazy Claire away from Aaron

&

everybody here seems to think a *person* is in the locked room

i just naturally assumed it was a *thing/object* locked up (something to kill Smocke)

i can't remember exactly what it was the Widmore bought at the auction, was it something in a box?

and that tat is crazy... that is a serious LOST fan right there, lol
Old 03-18-10, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ATX
interesting theory...

Smocke posed as Christian to purposely get crazy Claire away from Aaron

&

everybody here seems to think a *person* is in the locked room

i just naturally assumed it was a *thing/object* locked up (something to kill Smocke)

i can't remember exactly what it was the Widmore bought at the auction, was it something in a box?

and that tat is crazy... that is a serious LOST fan right there, lol
He bought the black rock's book or whatever you call a book on a ship that details what is happening on the ship.
Old 03-18-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

good theory, Guinness does a mind and body good.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.