TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Sorry, but no one has ever critiqued 90% a painting. Or 90% of a movie. Or drank wine made with 90% of its ingredients. I just think it's pretty foolish to try to do that with any TV series, especially one of this nature.
Exactly my point. Listening to the first record of the Beatles White Album and calling it shit is ludicrous.
Old 03-17-10, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Don't forget though people have invested YEARS of their lives to this so they are entitled to what they want.
It's an hour (sometimes two) out of the week each year when it does air. Come on.
Old 03-17-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stopgap
It's an hour (sometimes two) out of the week each year when it does air. Come on.
I was being facetious
Old 03-17-10, 02:54 PM

I was being facetious
My bad.
Old 03-17-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 502 Likes on 297 Posts

You intentionally mischaracterize everything people who "complain" about the show say to act like what we say has no merit. Very few, if any, people in this thread haven't given real explanations as to why they don't like the way the show is headed. We are fans of the show, despite the fact that we aren't too happy with the current direction. We have watched the same episodes you have. We are just as devoted. I have read every thread posted here on DVDtalk. I was here since the beginning. You are not a "better" fan than me because you like the current direction and I don't.

For someone who calls people idiots who complain, your analogies regarding critique of only "part" of a show are frankly stupid. Each episode can be judged on its own merits, even this show. Jack's tatoos episode. Do you have to wait until the finale airs to say that episode sucked?

If the discussion isn't to your liking on this board, and this is one of the best boards on the internet to discuss anything, than I don't know what to tell you. Your personal attacks don't further any discussion, and our complaints about certain aspects of the show do. Despite your frustration with it, they are valid things to discuss. Do you see us complaining that people like the show? So why do you act like you were raped in the ass when people say they didn't like it? The hostility in this thread is more ridiculous than any "whining" that you perceive.

If you don't like the complaining, don't read it. Skip to your floating island posts. I am able to discuss all aspects of the show, but I felt that after this episode I wanted to discuss why I am unhappy with the direction.
Old 03-17-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly my point. Listening to the first record of the Beatles White Album and calling it shit is ludicrous.
Can I listen to one song out of an album and say that song sucks? That would be a more accurate comparison. I am judging these episodes. I have not completed my judgment on the entire show yet. There is nothing wrong with critiquing an episode, or three, out of a show.
Old 03-17-10, 03:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just once in these "flash sideways" I want to have some big buildup for a person you only see from behind -- with a dramatic swell in the music as they turn around AND -- it's a brand new character we've never seen before.
Old 03-17-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Can I listen to one song out of an album and say that song sucks? That would be a more accurate comparison. I am judging these episodes. I have not completed my judgment on the entire show yet. There is nothing wrong with critiquing an episode, or three, out of a show.
Which is exactly why I was not addressing you with any of my posts yet you still decide to address me and my opinions.

For clarification: I have a problem with people (not limited to this forum mind you) who keep bitching after each episode this season, that the season as whole is terrible because not every mystery has been solved yet. My point was that there is essentially an entire season (in general TV terms) left, let the creators finish their job and then you can criticize that you never found out if the green beans from the Dharma drops were french cut or not.
Old 03-17-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You intentionally mischaracterize everything people who "complain" about the show say to act like what we say has no merit. Very few, if any, people in this thread haven't given real explanations as to why they don't like the way the show is headed. We are fans of the show, despite the fact that we aren't too happy with the current direction. We have watched the same episodes you have. We are just as devoted. I have read every thread posted here on DVDtalk. I was here since the beginning. You are not a "better" fan than me because you like the current direction and I don't.

For someone who calls people idiots who complain, your analogies regarding critique of only "part" of a show are frankly stupid. Each episode can be judged on its own merits, even this show. Jack's tatoos episode. Do you have to wait until the finale airs to say that episode sucked?

If the discussion isn't to your liking on this board, and this is one of the best boards on the internet to discuss anything, than I don't know what to tell you. Your personal attacks don't further any discussion, and our complaints about certain aspects of the show do. Despite your frustration with it, they are valid things to discuss. Do you see us complaining that people like the show? So why do you act like you were raped in the ass when people say they didn't like it? The hostility in this thread is more ridiculous than any "whining" that you perceive.

If you don't like the complaining, don't read it. Skip to your floating island posts. I am able to discuss all aspects of the show, but I felt that after this episode I wanted to discuss why I am unhappy with the direction.
Who is this post about?
Old 03-17-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is this post about?
Phoenix, and specifically this post:

Sorry, but no one has ever critiqued 90% a painting. Or 90% of a movie. Or drank wine made with 90% of its ingredients. I just think it's pretty foolish to try to do that with any TV series, especially one of this nature.

I guess after reading the whole thread and seeing 4 of 5 pages were not actual discussion but more, "Make wit de answerz, none r boring, dis suxx!!!!!!!11!1!!" I got a bit pissy. I, for one, liked Battlestar Galactica's ending. The last five episodes before the finale I thought were boring as shit. However, they were mostly setting the stage for the finale. They helped shape the story. I have found these episodes to be engaging. I just don't see how posting "This show sucked" adds anything to the conversation. Even if I disagree with people's theories, I enjoy them.

Unless they think this takes place in space. In which case, the theory sucks ass.
Old 03-17-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These threads are getting predictable, and really tiresome. So, to save everyone's time, I propose we include the following in the first post of each episode thread from now until the finale, just to get it out of the way:

This show sucks!
No it doesn't!
Yes it does!
You don't know how it's going to end yet! The writers have a plan!
No they don't!
Yes they do!
So you're allowed to praise the show but I can't complain about it? I DEMAND JUSTICE!
You're stupid and just want to bitch!
You're ugly!
Let's just keep watching and see how it all plays out.
N....ok.
That is all.

Last edited by MoviePage; 03-17-10 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoviePage
These threads are getting predictable, and really tiresome. So, to save everyone's time, I propose we include the following in the first post of each episode thread from now until the finale, just to get it out of the way:

That is all.

I apologize for my role in it. I could have handled that quite a bit more tactfully.
Old 03-17-10, 04:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The only way these threads could get more contentious was if Joss Whedon directed an episode.
Old 03-17-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
The only way these threads could get more contentious was if Joss Whedon directed an episode.
OK, you won me over. I'm starting to really love this running gag you have going.
Old 03-17-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Groucho, you'll be interested to know that I've heard one of the secrets is that after the finale, there's going to be a Q&A with the directors. Apparently, they're going to introduce them from behind with a big swell of music and as they turn around you'll see one of them is...Joss Whedon!
Old 03-17-10, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
This show sucks!
No it doesn't!
Yes it does!
You don't know how it's going to end yet! The writers have a plan!
No they don't!
Yes they do!
So you're allowed to praise the show but I can't complain about it? I DEMAND JUSTICE!
You're stupid and just want to bitch!
You're ugly!
Let's just keep watching and see how it all plays out.
N....ok.

That is all.
Don't forget:
"It was good to see ____________ from ___________!!!1!!" (for example, Tina Fey from Beer League)

Oh, and "Can't wait!"
Old 03-17-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Exactly. Neither the Beatles or painting analogy works. Each episode of Lost should be able to stand on its own while, at the same time, still working in the big picture and setting the stage for what is to come.

Just once in these "flash sideways" I want to have some big buildup for a person you only see from behind -- with a dramatic swell in the music as they turn around AND -- it's a brand new character we've never seen before.
The only one that has truly worked this season is Keamy. I did not expect to see him at all and if anyone called that one before he turned around, I'd have to call bullshit on them. All the others were silly at best. Oh look! Charlotte's back! Dogan's back!

I guess after reading the whole thread and seeing 4 of 5 pages were not actual discussion but more, "Make wit de answerz, none r boring, dis suxx!!!!!!!11!1!!" I got a bit pissy.
And the ultimate irony is that you're bitching about something that isn't even going on in this thread. I don't think anyone here was complaining about getting 'spoonfed' answers especially in your mocking leet speak. Character developments, side stories, motivations and whatnot have been the focus of this thread and each complaint has been reasonably backed up by coherent posts, not the threadcrap type posts some of you seem to be rallying about.

I'll agree that those type posts, complaining about getting answers, are ridiculous and add nothing, but those few (if any) aside, a discussion goes two ways. People can post displeasure with an episode, character, plot or whatever and if it's thought out then it certainly adds to the discussion. All praise or blind faith until the end of the season would make for some pretty boring threads. There aren't that many detractors on Lost in these threads, but the number does seem to be growing weekly.
Old 03-17-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, after 6 pages, still no discussion of the episode from last night.

Can someone just start a Lost season 6 bitch and frustration thread and take this shit in there?
Old 03-17-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Spoiler:
As soon as the writers give us something worth discussing, we'll start discussing it.

Old 03-17-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly

Can someone just start a Lost season 6 bitch and frustration thread and take this shit in there?
Why don't you lead by example, and start discussing.
Old 03-17-10, 05:26 PM

How about we discuss how Sawyer was identifying himself as LAPD to a potential con man on the phone?

Last edited by SteelWill; 03-17-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LaFleur.
Old 03-17-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

If in the end, MIB changes things where Jacob never touched the Losties, why would they still be bumping into each other in the NC timeline? I thought the reason they were all connected was from Jacob touching them?

oh and:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hILqMGb2u2w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hILqMGb2u2w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by mhg83; 03-17-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
If in the end, MIB changes things where Jacob never touched the Losties, why would they still be bumping into each other in the NC timeline? I thought the reason they were all connected was from Jacob touching them?
Technically he didn't touch Hurley or Sayid until after the 815 crash anyway. We need more info about the Alt to make sense of Jacob touching people.

Anyway, given how much screen time is left, I think we were given a huge clue last night. Sawyer ran into Kate at the end of the episode. How is he going to build into meeting Juliet in the ALT if they are hinting toward Kate/Sawyer again? IMO, I think Juliet is going to run into Jack or someone else during another centric episode and they will be the ones splitting the bill. We shouldn't assume Sawyer/Juliet is going to happen! Afterall, the last thing I expected was Sawyer hooking up with 'Red'.

Sayid ran into Jin during his centric, therefore I expect to see Sayid when they eventually give us the Sun/Jin centric.

Maybe we should start listing characters that havn't showed up in the ALT and take bets on which centrics they will pop up in?
Old 03-17-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought Elizabeth Mitchell was done with Lost. I don't expect to see her again. That's why I never thought the hooded figure was anyone but Kate.

Originally Posted by mhg83
Not sure who posted it above, but I agree that essentially these characters' lives are interconnected regardless of timeline. Jacob merely changes the outcome of the timeline. If the crash never happened they were destined to intertwine anyway. With Jacob's involvement the intertwining happened sooner via the crash.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-17-10 at 06:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.