TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Young Justice League Animated Series in the works

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: Young Justice League Animated Series in the works

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I will pass on this series. Why not have a Hawkman,Green Lantern ,The Flash or The Atom series? Try something different. The same ole ,same ole(Teen Titans,Legion of Superheroes) is getting old.

Your comment here is a hard pill to swallow for me as Openly DC Fanboy; but I think your point is valid.

I will most certainly be watching this show. But I have to ask, with DC having sooooo mannny heroes...why they always focus on the same ones for new series? I'm sure they have their reasons, but hell...where's a new Wonder Woman series? A new WW FILM? They're always talkin' about getting girls interested in comics right?

Shit, I think both Marvel and DC are guilty of this, but I do think DC is a tad more guilty. This is especially true when it comes to DC Hero Films.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-20-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Maybe Speedy will make a guest appearance and get hooked on heroin.
Maybe I just don't know my minor heroes but isn't Speedy there, just called Kid Flash?

Also, how is there a girl Martian Manhunter? It seems every time Martian Manhunter is used in a series (JLU, Smallville), they say he's the last Martian. Did he shag a human & Miss Martian is his kid? At first glance, I thought she was the same as the guy in Teen Titans that can become animals.
Old 05-20-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Miss Martian gets a from me. I hope we'll see tons of guest heroes and villains like Justice League Unlimited.
Old 05-20-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by resinrats
Maybe I just don't know my minor heroes but isn't Speedy there, just called Kid Flash?

Also, how is there a girl Martian Manhunter? It seems every time Martian Manhunter is used in a series (JLU, Smallville), they say he's the last Martian. Did he shag a human & Miss Martian is his kid? At first glance, I thought she was the same as the guy in Teen Titans that can become animals.

I know. But there's an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Martian
Old 05-20-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Speedy is Green Arrow's sidekick. His name just didn't really make much sense, especially when he's teamed with a fast guy like Kid Flash.

They later called him Arsenal, and I think he's called Red Arrow now.
Old 05-20-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think DC should be trying to cater to an older crowd, especially with their animated series. Marvel and DC need to appeal to new, young readers, not continue catering to the desires of an aging fanbase.
The thing is though, that catering to an older fanbase does not prevent you from attracting the youth crowd. Cartoon Network's #1 rated show for boys age 6-11 is Clone Wars. Thats hardly a show geared towards young children. Adults have a misconception that children have to be pandered to, but thats simply not the case. Children will watch A quality animated "adult themed" show. On the other hand a show that is squarely aimed at young children generally wont be well received by your adult fan base.
Old 05-20-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Speedy is Green Arrow's sidekick. His name just didn't really make much sense, especially when he's teamed with a fast guy like Kid Flash.

They later called him Arsenal, and I think he's called Red Arrow now.
Yes, he's Red Arrow now.
Old 05-20-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Label me another fanboy who really misses BtAS, JL, BB and hell even Supes...

but I'll watch this and enjoy The Brave and Bold while it lasts...
Old 05-20-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
On the other hand a show that is squarely aimed at young children generally wont be well received by your adult fan base.
I liked Mucha Lucha. And Xiaolin Showdown.. which I think came before Kung Fu Panda hit the screen.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-20-10 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-20-10, 05:17 PM
Banned

I don't think that aiming a cartoon to both adults and kids is impossible. Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond and JLU was supposed to be both. To me the failure to appeal kids at the end was bad marketing in WB and DC's part. It they had kept any of this shows in the same amount of rotation that Batman: The Brave and the Bold gets, they would surely have gotten higher ratings and sold more merchandise. To me, WB doesn't know how to use a property like DC comics. Besides Batman Begins and THe Dark Knight, the haven't used the rest of the DC characters properly. In the animation department, almost everything the have done regarding DC has been mediocre and half-assed at best.

I still don't understand why both, Marvel and DC don't use their respective assets (great comic storylines, great characters) to do animated series based on them. Why couldn't we get a decent Death of Superman animated movie? Why can't we get a decent Infinity Gauntlet animated film or mini-series?
Old 05-21-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Aren't there issue of using Superboy? The Superman airs own that character compared to Superman which is still in the courts. Is that Clark Kent or some other character.

Always thought it was sort of lame to just have a bunch of essentially knock-offs (either younger versions or opposite sex version) of characters. Robin is the only one I'd consider his own character & in a way, he's just a young version of Batman.
The Superboy on the show is not the true Superboy, just a lame clone character from the comics called Conner Kent. After a few years of having no real Superboy around after Crisis On Infinite Earths, he was added as a replacement of sorts to fill the void. Eventually it was revealed he was the genetic clone of Superman and Lex Luthor combined. There are no legal issues using this version of Superboy and there never have been, as he is a completely separate character from the character of Clark Kent going around in a costume as a youth.
Old 05-21-10, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Superboy on the show is not the true Superboy, just a lame clone character from the comics called Conner Kent. After a few years of having no real Superboy around after Crisis On Infinite Earths, he was added as a replacement of sorts to fill the void. Eventually it was revealed he was the genetic clone of Superman and Lex Luthor combined. There are no legal issues using this version of Superboy and there never have been, as he is a completely separate character from the character of Clark Kent going around in a costume as a youth.
Conner came about during the Death of Superman, so hes been around almost 20 years, and had good runs in his own book, and Teen Titans.
Old 05-21-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Conner Kent. I like him better than a straight up "Superboy" character and I like his relationship with Wonder Girl.
Old 05-21-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice — Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics.

Wait...so "Artemis" will take the "Wonder Girl" role?
Old 05-21-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wait...so "Artemis" will take the "Wonder Girl" role?
I thought you were the DC guru?

Didn't they cover some of this teen to hero stuff in X-Men: Evolution?
Old 05-21-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I will most certainly be watching this show. But I have to ask, with DC having sooooo mannny heroes...why they always focus on the same ones for new series? I'm sure they have their reasons, but hell...where's a new Wonder Woman series? A new WW FILM? They're always talkin' about getting girls interested in comics right?
There was an interview with Bruce Timm not too long ago.
There had been plans for much more diversity in the direct to video line of movies- but anything beyond Batman or Superman didn't move as well, or as fast, as they hoped. He specifically mentioned how disappointed they were with the sales from Wonder Woman which ended up killing a planned Batgirl: Year One animated movie.

The best we can hope for is the little mini-films like the Spectre riding the coat-tails of yet another Batman or Superman centric retread.
Old 05-21-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I thought you were the DC guru?

Didn't they cover some of this teen to hero stuff in X-Men: Evolution?
I never said I was a "DC Guru". Artemis was Wonder Woman a few years back so I was wondering if that's what they were doing here.
Old 05-21-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
There had been plans for much more diversity in the direct to video line of movies- but anything beyond Batman or Superman didn't move as well, or as fast, as they hoped. He specifically mentioned how disappointed they were with the sales from Wonder Woman which ended up killing a planned Batgirl: Year One animated movie.

The best we can hope for is the little mini-films like the Spectre riding the coat-tails of yet another Batman or Superman centric retread.
Wow, I didn't know that. But honestly it doesn't surprise me.
Old 05-21-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Yeah Green Lantern had low sales too. He said the only high sellers were JLA. I still hold hope for Batgirl since it bat family.
Old 05-21-10, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Well, DC only has themselves to blame. They hire well known actors, which is likely higher priced voice talent than the people who did the cartoons. They could probably slash the budgets of these things if they stuck with the voice talent that made most of the characters popular.
Old 05-22-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, DC only has themselves to blame. They hire well known actors, which is likely higher priced voice talent than the people who did the cartoons. They could probably slash the budgets of these things if they stuck with the voice talent that made most of the characters popular.
Suprmallet?
Old 05-22-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah Green Lantern had low sales too. He said the only high sellers were JLA. I still hold hope for Batgirl since it bat family.
It seems like they have trouble selling anything without "Batman" or "Superman" somewhere in the title. Public Enemies was DC's best selling animated feature last year and I though it was awful. Certainly not as good as Wonderwoman or Green Lantern.
Old 08-24-10, 05:23 PM
Banned

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiOjAmXDjW4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiOjAmXDjW4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-24-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
animation looks cool, but seems like it's still catering to younger crowds. i want adult comic book shows.
While they weren't as good as JLU/BtAS/BB, WB has done pretty well with their kids' shows. Teen Titans was enjoyable, Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes was good, The Batman grew on me, and even Brave and the Bold is pretty good. So I have hopes for this one.
Old 08-24-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

OH MY GAAAAWDDD!!

Wow....so the adult Heroes will be in this and it sounds like they're taking an adult approach.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.