Reload this Page >

Big Love #38 : "The Mighty And Strong" 1/31/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-30-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Comes on Sunday night opposite the Grammys. I'll probably catch up with it a couple of days later. Hope they can begin to refocus thier story lines. I know that this political tangent isn't going anywhere so at least I hope they can start making it interesting. We'll see...
Old 01-31-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Big Love #38 : "The Mighty And Strong" 1/31/10

No shit. You know the Politics thing will fall apart in some grand way so let's at least enjoy the ride to the edge of the cliff.
Old 01-31-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case anyone cares, I know that I do, Amanda is scheduled to appear on Letterman on Thursday. According to the imdb, it will be her first appearance on any of the late night talk shows.

I'm sure it's to support her film, but hopefully they'll get to talk about Big Love a bit.
Old 01-31-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Upon getting woken up suddenly yesterday morning from a deep sleep, it occured me that's what the new opening credits are probably supposed to symbolize. The rapid pull back of the floating visions would be like getting yanked out of a dream. At least that's what I thought at that moment. I guess that's appropriate for this show.
I'm getting more used to the opening now. It's pretty, even if I liked the old song better. I wonder if costs/ right issues were the main decinding factor. That couldn't have been a cheap song to use.
Old 01-31-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to preface this by saying that when people complain about a character not being likable, I usually roll my eyes a bit, because I don't feel a character needs to be likable to make for compelling TV drama or comedy.

That being said, damn did Bill come across as unlikable tonight. Throwing his partner under the bus like that? Especially when his first move in office will be to out himself? And kicking his son out (well, not stopping him), when his father did the same thing to him?

Cold blooded.
Old 01-31-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree... He's really a shit bag and I wonder if he is written to totally come off as such an asshole or we are just taking it that way. I mean does he really not see that all his and his families problems are directly attributable to him?
Old 01-31-10, 11:23 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Upon getting woken up suddenly yesterday morning from a deep sleep, it occured me that's what the new opening credits are probably supposed to symbolize. The rapid pull back of the floating visions would be like getting yanked out of a dream. At least that's what I thought at that moment. I guess that's appropriate for this show.
I'm getting more used to the opening now. It's pretty, even if I liked the old song better. I wonder if costs/ right issues were the main decinding factor. That couldn't have been a cheap song to use.
I assumed it's the characters being cast into Outer Darkness, since that was a big theme with Barb's character last season when she was excommunicated.
Old 01-31-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At this point, Sarah is the only character I don't despise.
Old 02-01-10, 12:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering last week when Bill came off as a condescending hayseed in his scene with Sissy Spacek if that was written intentionally or not, now it appears it was. They really ratcheted him up to major league asshole tonight.
Old 02-01-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
At this point, Sarah is the only character I don't despise.
I don't know...I liked Jodene letting loose the birds tonight. She's in the opening credits. I don't think we're actually meant to "like" many of these characters. They are all pretty flawed.

It was nice of Amanda Seyfried to give a little teaser for Chloe.
Old 02-01-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
snip...

That being said, damn did Bill come across as unlikable tonight. Throwing his partner under the bus like that? Especially when his first move in office will be to out himself? And kicking his son out (well, not stopping him), when his father did the same thing to him?

Cold blooded.
Yeah. As soon as Bill showed up in Don's doorway, I knew what he was going to ask him to do. I just thought what a selfish piece of shit he is. The little log cabin charade was the icing on the cake.
Old 02-01-10, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously...what a dick.

The shit just keeps piling up with this whole senate thing. So now the plan is to not only lie during the campaign, but also to lie on record in regards to Don's situation tonight AND have it come out that one of his wives was working the campaign of his opponent? Um...fantastic job Bill!

I'm assuming this is leading to him winning and then deciding he can't out his family.

Dick move Bill. Dick move.
Old 02-01-10, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the last two episodes were a return to form for the show. I thought they were outstanding. Even the Margene storyline which I was dreading makes some sense. When she says her husband has abandoned her, it was true: he has abandoned all of them for his own ambition and ego. In fact, abandonment and loneliness seems to be the entire theme for this season and it is all starting to come together really well.
Old 02-01-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do agree that this was a much better episode than the others this season, and it even made the Margene-Ben angle more palpable. JJ is becoming quite the "big bad" as well which is good because I just dont think Albee can handle it.
Old 02-01-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This also felt like a return to form for me, even if I'm not crazy about where Bill's character is heading at the moment.
Old 02-01-10, 04:51 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

This was one of my favourite episodes of the show.

I loved how they handled the margene and ben situation - Spectacular.

And as for JJ marrying Nikki's mom. This is going to end well!

And well done jodene for letting the birds out, that was hilarious

And Albie - I love me some Albie. He has turned into my favourite cast member

And of course

"Give my regards to Hollis" - Lois

Last edited by BDB; 02-01-10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill's quite the douche.
Old 02-01-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
I just dont think Albee can handle it.
Why? Just because he acts like a socially retarded twelve year old?
Old 02-01-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The show is starting to pick up.

Yep, Bill is looking more and more like a prick as the show goes on. He hides behind his "calling" and family to excuse all his dirty and greedy actions.

The Ben/Margene thing turned out better than I thought. I was worried it was going to be brought up again and then dropped, but they went further with it in order to provide some real conflict. How about Margene eyeing Ben like a piece of fresh meat when he was getting coacoa mix for her?

Seems like JJ will either turn Joey against the family or push him as prophet (for some reason). Ironic that Joey thought he was free after killing Roman, but that action may have made him more a prisoner than he ever was. I guess Wanda will eventually reveal something about her past. Seems like most Juniper Creek people have some major skeletons in their closet.

Also, if you're going to reveal that JJ has no finger nails, you really have to make a bigger effort to hide his hands in scenes.

Mentioned in previous threads that the intro is darker and the music that plays throughtout the episode is different (and really feels ominous). This season really gives me the impression that some major shit is gonna go down, something that'll tear a bunch of lives apart. The end of the season won't be pretty I suspect.

Last edited by Coral; 02-01-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Came in here to post the exact same things as everyone else. Was Bill really this selfish in previous seasons? I'm trying to remember, but I can't. I always thought of him as a guy who was a better person because of his beliefs. He truly cared for other people. He may be flawed, but in the end I thought he could be counted on to make the right decision.

Now, I can't say that anymore. He has become all about himself, and becoming a prophet, even if it isn't the prophet of Juniper Creek. He threw out his son, like was done to him. He made his friend take the bullet? I saw it coming as soon as went to talk to him, and I hated every second of it happening.

The Margene storyline I'm not hating as much as I thought. If only because her meltdown on the show was absolutely hilarious. Was I supposed to be laughing though?
Old 02-02-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gonna need some screen caps from a couple scenes on this week's ep...
Old 02-03-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

The Ben/Margene thing turned out better than I thought. I was worried it was going to be brought up again and then dropped, but they went further with it in order to provide some real conflict. How about Margene eyeing Ben like a piece of fresh meat when he was getting coacoa mix for her?

This whole thing is weird because isn't this the very reason why Radical Polygamists run off the young males? Didn't Bill get kicked out of Juniper Creek when he was a youth? I think Barb's family took him in and him and Barb fell in love.
Old 02-03-10, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
This whole thing is weird because isn't this the very reason why Radical Polygamists run off the young males? Didn't Bill get kicked out of Juniper Creek when he was a youth? I think Barb's family took him in and him and Barb fell in love.
Why is it weird to you?

I was thinking the same thing about Bill being ran off, hoping he'd have a little sympathy for his son but then it dawned on me how much Bill is officially the biggest d-bag hypocrite outside of Roman Grant that this show has ever seen. Actually, he's a bigger hypocrite.

I really feel for Margene and I'm not hating this storyline either. She's still young, she's got these kids and no public husband. She didn't grow up with the principle, just kind of fell into it because she was so needy. I can see why she's drawn to Ben.

This was a great ep.
Old 02-03-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
She didn't grow up with the principle, just kind of fell into it because she was so needy. I can see why she's drawn to Ben.
She's also establishing a lot of financial independence. Her discussion with Bill about getting financial advisers, lawyers, etc. was indicative of her mindset even if only subconsciously.

Nice to see that JJ is a fan of SNL's "Motherlover", too.
Old 02-03-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
Why is it weird to you?

I was thinking the same thing about Bill being ran off, hoping he'd have a little sympathy for his son but then it dawned on me how much Bill is officially the biggest d-bag hypocrite outside of Roman Grant that this show has ever seen. Actually, he's a bigger hypocrite.
That right there is why I thought it was weird.

I really thought Bill would go another way with this. But in the end, it seems all the "icky" parts of "The Principle" are still around no matter how much this family claims to be above it all.

I really feel for Margene and I'm not hating this storyline either. She's still young, she's got these kids and no public husband. She didn't grow up with the principle, just kind of fell into it because she was so needy. I can see why she's drawn to Ben.

This was a great ep.
Agreed. And this goes back to my post in the previous thread about how selfish Bill truly is. He says it's for the family but ultimately he's about "Bill" and I'm not even sure he realizes this.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-03-10 at 07:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.