Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Love #38 : "The Mighty And Strong" 1/31/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Big Love #38 : "The Mighty And Strong" 1/31/10

He doesn't realize. He excuses all his behavior as being what heavenly father wants.
Old 02-03-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
He doesn't realize. He excuses all his behavior as being what heavenly father wants.
I thought the scene with Albie and his mother to be very interesting. They all "believe" in the principal, but at the same time she knows that Albie is full of shit. That scene really pointed out how almost everybody involved has a higher belief, but you definitely can tell they're aware that all the stuff between the beginning and the end is more just a game.
Old 02-03-10, 09:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_ai...-big-love.html

HBO has big news for “Big Love,” which is now wedded to a fifth season at the paycabler.

News comes as “Big Love” has scored steady gains at HBO this season; according to the channel, the show is up 13% among viewers vs. last year.

“Big Love” has also earned strong critical praise this season, which has focused on the increasingly obsessed Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) as he runs for state senator.

“We’ve taken the show deeper and darker over the last couple of seasons, and we’re overjoyed that HBO has come along with us,” said “Big Love” exec producer Mark Olsen.

Four episodes (out of a short nine-episode order) have run so far this year. According to fellow EP Will Scheffer, the duo are currently in the editing room finishing up the eighth episode of this season.

“We’re barely out of this season, and just starting to think about next year,” Scheffer said. “We’re lucky we got another year, as we really were in a place where we didn’t want to end the series. We’re thrilled to take another shot and see where to take the characters.”

HBO has picked up 10 episodes for season five. Olsen and Scheffer expect to start shooting next season in June or July, with a winter airdate (similar to this season).

“Big Love” centers on Paxton’s character, who must juggle his complicated world of three – Barb (Jeanne Tripplehorn), Nicki (Chloё Sevigny) and Margene (Ginnifer Goodwin) – eight kids, three houses and a chain of home improvement stores. Show was nominated last year for an Emmy in the outstanding drama series category.

Olsen and Scheffer created the show, which comes from HBO Entertainment, Playtone and Anima Sola Prods. Besides Olsen and Scheffer, exec producers include Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman, David Knoller and Bernadette Caulfield.
Old 02-03-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Why is HBO ordering so few episodes of "Big Love"?

9 Episodes this season, 10 episodes next season.... and I thought the standard 13 was a little low...
Old 02-03-10, 11:26 PM

“Big Love” has also earned strong critical praise this season, which has focused on the increasingly obsessed Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) as he runs for state senator.
Ha-ha, they must not read this forum!
Old 02-04-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

This episode was the first of the season that really worked for me. I still hate everything about the State Senator storyline (with the brilliant exception of Nikki's "recon" work), but now at least I'm on board with seeing where it goes. I hope there will be some redemption for Bill during the next five episodes -- in the past he's always seemed to have his family's interest at heart, but this year, not so much it seems.

I'm glad they dropped Sarah's meth baby storyline, because she seems like the only one with any sense and I just couldn't see her continuing to break the law to hang onto this baby. Just have another one yourself -- and by all means DO IT ON CAMERA!

Nikki should know better -- you never make an offhanded remark about offing somebody to Wanda. She's all in.
Old 02-04-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I'm serious. Anyone got screen caps of Sarah getting out of the bed after sex?
Old 02-04-10, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker

Nikki should know better -- you never make an offhanded remark about offing somebody to Wanda. She's all in.

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-04-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That right there is why I thought it was weird.

I really thought Bill would go another way with this. But in the end, it seems all the "icky" parts of "The Principle" are still around no matter how much this family claims to be above it all.

Agreed. And this goes back to my post in the previous thread about how selfish Bill truly is. He says it's for the family but ultimately he's about "Bill" and I'm not even sure he realizes this.

Ok, I understand. For a split second I also thought he was going to tell Ben not to go, but he just keeps proving how Bill loves Bill the best. I absolutely think Bill is clueless, or delusional at this point. I see no signs of him thinking of his family...at all.
Old 02-04-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
snip...

I don't think that was offhanded at all. I think perhaps Nikki was planting a seed.
Old 02-04-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I'm serious. Anyone got screen caps of Sarah getting out of the bed after sex?
Totally
NSFW:

Good enough?
Old 02-04-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Zero ass.
Old 02-04-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Totally
NSFW:

Good enough?

Thank you.
Old 02-05-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amanda looked spectacular and was great on Letterman last night.

I was hoping someone would have posted it on youtube so that I could link it in here, but so far it hasn't show up.

He seemed to like her. I was surprised she said that she was called pale as a teen. She said they called her Casper the Ghost. I would think of someone like Christina Ricci as an example of an actress who is extremely pale.

Her movie looked like crap and they didn't talk about Big Love, but it was a very fun interview. She was clearly nervous. Dave was trying to get her to talk about how her career went from soap opera to major motion pictures and she kind of got confused and talked about working in an old folks home.

Her story about how she found out she was going to be fired from her first soap opera was hilarious.

I know someone mentioned she might be done with the show after this season, but since it's not official and after reading some of her recent press, I would be surprised if she doesn't stay on for season 5. I'm sure they shoot around these actors schedules, because all of them are in demand. Sarah has actually been involved more in the show so far than I expected.
Old 02-05-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah she's pale...but like Ricci, it works on her.
Old 02-06-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
He seemed to like her. I was surprised she said that she was called pale as a teen. She said they called her Casper the Ghost. I would think of someone like Christina Ricci as an example of an actress who is extremely pale.
Look at the screen caps above. It looks like she hasn't seen the sun in 10 years. Cute girl, but she's definitely looking pretty Casper-esque.
Old 02-06-10, 09:31 AM

Best episode ever in the series in my opinion. I felt like a PT Anderson flick (i.e. the series of scenes in Boogie Nights where everyone hits rock bottom).

They really turned things around. I was beginning to give up on the show but they sure did a 180.