Reload this Page >

Smallville -- "Disciple" -- 01/29/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville -- "Disciple" -- 01/29/10

Old 01-30-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Smallville -- "Disciple" -- 01/29/10

Agree with most of what we said already. It was an okay episode. Thought most of the dialogue in this episode was pretty bad, especially Ollie's.

Enjoyed Lois and Clark's scenes and enjoyed seeing Mia again. Ollie having issues with his mentor was pretty Meh.
Old 01-30-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I am looking forward to Absolute Justice next week.

I have a question about the JSA. Are they part of DC Comics? For some reason I keep thinking about the Justice League of America from the Superfriends and wondered if they have any connection.
Old 01-30-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spamurai View Post
Okay episode. Every scene involving Zod was great, the rest was whatever. Big props to Callum Blue once again on playing a pretty damn good Zod. You can tell how average all the other actors are (especially Welling) during their scenes together.

I am so hyped for next week. This trailer kicks so much ass. http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/01/...stice-trailer/
Yea, Callum Blue is pretty decent. He's definitely better than the rest of the cast. This episode was one of the weaker ones this season (though better than almost anything from seasons 5 through 8).
Old 01-30-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

JSA are the older superheroes like the original Flash, and original Green Lantern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_Society_of_America

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Justice Society of America, or JSA, is a DC Comics superhero group, the first team of superheroes in comic book history. Conceived by editor Sheldon Mayer and writer Gardner Fox, the JSA first appeared in All Star Comics#3 (Winter 1940).Unlike subsequent "all-star" teams, the JSA was limited to heroes not already featured in their own titles because the publisher wanted to expose their lesser known characters. Hence, Superman and Batman were only honorary members and Flash and Green Lantern's early tenures were brief, ending when each character was awarded his own book. However, a 1944 change in policy allowed them back into the group. Other popular members were Hawkman, the Spectre, Hourman, Doctor Fate and the Atom.The team was popular throughout the 1940s, but after superheroes fell out of favor their adventures ceased with issue 57 of the title (Feb-Mar 1951), and All Star Comicsbecame All-Star Western. There then followed a gap of 11 years in appearances by JSA members, until the original (Jay Garrick) Flash appeared in The Flash#123 (September 1961).During the Silver Age, DC reinvented several popular Justice Society members and banded many of them together in the Justice League of America. However, instead of considering the JSA replaced, DC revealed that the team existed on "Earth-Two" and the Justice League on "Earth-One". This allowed for annual, cross-dimensional team-ups of the teams, lasting from 1963 until 1985. It also allowed for new series, such as All-Star Squadron, Infinity, Inc.and a new All-Star Comics,which featured the JSA, their children, and their heirs. These series explored the issues of aging, generational differences and contrasts between the Golden Age and subsequent eras.In the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earthsmaxi-series the series merged all of the company's various realities into one, placing the JSA as World War II-era predecessors to the company's modern characters. A few unsuccessful and often controversial revivals were attempted, until a new series, titled JSA, was launched in 1999, continuing until July 2006. A new Justice Society of Americaseries was launched in December 2006, to coincide with the new Justice League of Americaseries, also launched in 2006.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-30-10 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post
I was the opposite, I actually liked Oliver's stuff

and how exactly is turning the sun red going to help Zod?
As we've seen in the future the Candorian's get there powers from a red sun. Something to do with the clones being altered by Zor El.
Old 01-31-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The big tower that will allow Zod to take over the world and enslave the human race is still standing, yeah that makes sense, they are powerless and I am sure Clark will just allow them to complete it and almost start it up before he does something about it.
Old 01-31-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
The big tower that will allow Zod to take over the world and enslave the human race is still standing, yeah that makes sense, they are powerless and I am sure Clark will just allow them to complete it and almost start it up before he does something about it.
And yet that is most likely what will happen.

I wish the writers knew that super intelligence is actually one of Superman's powers.
Old 01-31-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

I have a question about the JSA. Are they part of DC Comics? For some reason I keep thinking about the Justice League of America from the Superfriends and wondered if they have any connection.
Yeah as the Wiki link posted here states the JSA were the first Superhero team in comics history. The Justice League and the JSA are both still active in the DCU.
Old 01-31-10, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
And yet that is most likely what will happen.

I wish the writers knew that super intelligence is actually one of Superman's powers.
Most likely, Clark seems to be the ONLY one that will not do what has to be done to do things like SAVE the world.

I still take issue with them showing that horrible future and no talk of Lana showing up to try and stop them, you know the super powered person that would be poison to them, there would have to be a reason she would not show up (different actress, never really show her, just something) or just lazy writing.

Then again, Smallville is good at forgetting what they just did a week ago.

If I knew I tower is STILL being made that will enslave the human race by giving them all powers, I would........lets see....... STOP IT!!!!!! Then again, that would make sense.
Old 01-31-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main plot of this was pretty weak. Why couldn't the Ollie storyline be something that they had built up over a few weeks with some mysterious character lurking in the background?

I was going to defend Clark's actions, but let me get this straight:

1) Must stop Zod's plan from future
2) I know - befriend him; that will change everything
3) Confront to befriend, become who they all now bow down to
4) Threaten and tell Zod you won't help him

Am I missing something? There was the conversation at the farm and Clark did appear to be more strategic and non-confrontational. Maybe his plan really was working until Zod approached Lois?

I did like the interaction between Zod and Lois. It was a very tense a creepy scene. He certainly put some of Lois' attitude in check, but then again he couldn't straight up manipulate her like he does most people.

I did enjoy Lois and Clark's interactions. I would have preferred some regular dialogue like "I'd like to get this right." instead of "You're the one I want to get it right with." Ermm, why? Very forced.

I'm betting Clark and Chloe's dialogue in the Watchtower will come back to play a large role later in the season. Good to see Clark recognizing she's going to far and also trying to give her warning to save herself. Unfortunately he just let her brush it off.

Oh, and the trailer looks great!!
Old 01-31-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good to see Clark recognizing she's going to far and also trying to give her warning to save herself. Unfortunately he just let her brush it off.
Chloe has gone too far?
The only thing I notice from season to season is Clark never doing what needs to be done.
Old 01-31-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
Chloe has gone too far?
The only thing I notice from season to season is Clark never doing what needs to be done.
Yeah, but that doesn't automatically equate to Chloe going too far with her actions. As much as Clark recognizing that Oliver needed help, he would never had set up such a risky situation that Chloe did. Even if it worked out - and this episode proved that in the long run it may not have - the ends didn't justify the means. That's why often Clark is forced to come up with a plan C.
Old 01-31-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't automatically equate to Chloe going too far with her actions. As much as Clark recognizing that Oliver needed help, he would never had set up such a risky situation that Chloe did. Even if it worked out - and this episode proved that in the long run it may not have - the ends didn't justify the means. That's why often Clark is forced to come up with a plan C.
There was most likely a plan in the middle, Chloe's plan was very aggressive while Clark would take a far more passive method, I can say that Chloe's plan is not the first thing I would think of to get through to him. Over the last couple seasons or longer I tend to agree with everyone else other then Clark on what needs to be done.
Old 02-01-10, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post
Lois: Hmmm someone is shooting at me from the top of a building. Instead of ducking behind the car, let me run in the open street in high heels.
I totally thought she was going to duck behind the car

Enjoyed Lois and Clark's scenes

My DVR has it scheduled
Old 02-01-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by awil1026 View Post
Yea, Callum Blue is pretty decent. He's definitely better than the rest of the cast.
Is English his primary language? To me it always feels like he's fumbling over his dialog. Either that or he has a retainer or new set of teeth he's not quite used to that gives him a weird accent.
Old 02-01-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Is English his primary language? To me it always feels like he's fumbling over his dialog. Either that or he has a retainer or new set of teeth he's not quite used to that gives him a weird accent.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089485/

He's from London, so yes.
Old 02-22-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
As we've seen in the future the Candorian's get there powers from a red sun. Something to do with the clones being altered by Zor El.
I'm a couple eps behind, so just saw this one last night.

This plotline annoys me to no end. Yes, WE the audience know that because Jor El modified the sphere that trapped Zod and his people with blue kryptonite, they don't have their powers under the yellow sun like they should. And WE the audience know from the episode about the future that turning the yellow sun red does indeed give them their powers back.

But how the hell would Zod know that? He didn't have any powers when he LIVED under a red sun. And he doesn't know about the blue kryptonite. So he's just turning the sun red for fun?
Old 02-22-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually that was a really well-timed thread bump because of
Spoiler:
all the complaints in here that Clark wasn't going to do anything about the tower, followed by last week's developments