Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only KITCHEN NIGHTMARES / HELL'S KITCHEN Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One and Only KITCHEN NIGHTMARES / HELL'S KITCHEN Thread

Mangia Mangia was one of the best KNs of all time! I don't remember the last time I thought I was witnessing real spontaneous drama than with the drug use reveal and firing and I wanted an update!
Old 04-27-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by theonemajorone
Mangia Mangia was one of the best KNs of all time! I don't remember the last time I thought I was witnessing real spontaneous drama than with the drug use reveal and firing and I wanted an update!
Did she ever say why she kept the main cook so long considering the problems they had with him? I don't get why he was still there.
Old 04-27-14, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Did she ever say why she kept the main cook so long considering the problems they had with him? I don't get why he was still there.
She tried to make the excuse there was no one else. Couldn't find anyone. That seemed ridiculous and to me it was just Trevor was cheaper than anyone else. Even if she didn't know about the severity of drug use his behavior was enough to fire him but Trevor was probably willing to take any salary as long as it paid for his drugs.
Old 04-28-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Two hours felt overlong here too. That daughter is cute, but man, she's gonna turn into her crazy mother.
Old 04-28-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by theonemajorone
She tried to make the excuse there was no one else. Couldn't find anyone. That seemed ridiculous and to me it was just Trevor was cheaper than anyone else. Even if she didn't know about the severity of drug use his behavior was enough to fire him but Trevor was probably willing to take any salary as long as it paid for his drugs.
Yeah he probably worked cheap and that is how she did things. You can always find someone.
Old 04-29-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched this last night and does anyone know what chain restaurant previously occupied this place (what would have a drive up window and a big kitchen)?

- The kitchen was nice and big, and it did seem clean
- I honestly think she thought that buying the frozen food from Sysco was a legit way to run her business. You make sauce, boil some pasta, and everything else is pre-made = Italian food in Colorado

I have to admit, that this episode is what 'reality' tv should be. I do hope that KN put that kid in rehab and got him help. For a drug addict to admit that is a huge cry for help!
Old 04-29-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
- I honestly think she thought that buying the frozen food from Sysco was a legit way to run her business. You make sauce, boil some pasta, and everything else is pre-made = Italian food in Colorado
A while ago, I was reading an article (most likely on Yahoo) that was about the merits of whole wheat pasta or something like that, and some idiot chimed in "I'm Italian, and we can tell you that the pasta doesn't matter, it's all about the marinara sauce". So I suspect that Mangia Mangia particularly catered to idiots like that who don't know what good pasta is.

I really don't like KN going 2 hours now though, whether it's two separate episodes or a double like the Mangia Mangia thing. That's now one more hour (or ~40 minutes) a week I have to devote to this show.
Old 04-29-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree 2 hrs is a huge DVR hog - and I have to power through it so I can make room and delete the whole thing.
Old 04-29-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Yeah, this week's is also a two-parter. Hopefully there's enough material this time, and not just endless padding. Well, there's always the handy FF button.
Old 04-30-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Yeah, this week's is also a two-parter. Hopefully there's enough material this time, and not just endless padding. Well, there's always the handy FF button.
Agreed. There's always the beginning waste of space, usually about two minutes. I fast forward right through that until I see the scenes of them in whatever city they are visiting this week. Hell's Kitchen is the same way. Fast forward through until right after the opening sequence when the announcer says "And now, the continuation of Hell's Kitchen". Saves a good deal of time.
Old 05-01-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I FF until Gordon shows up. I assume the restaurant it in trouble if its on the show. I don't need to see the opening. And then as soon as the after the break previews start hit FF again. The show goes much quicker then.
Old 05-01-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you fast forward all the recaps the show really is only about 30 minutes per hour.
Old 06-23-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...tmares/276031/

Gordon Ramsay announced today he's ending Kitchen Nightmares. He's filming 4 episodes for the UK version and then he's done.

Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, and Hotel Hell aren't going anywhere.
Old 06-23-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, that's gotta be the most frustrating of all his ventures, because the premise of that show is having to change the habits of people who don't give a shit. Save for a couple, I think almost ever single restaurant he helped, ended up going back to shit, or shutting down. I did like the early UK version of the show, before it got "Foxified".
Old 06-23-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize until now that this is also the thread for Hell's Kitchen. Maybe there should be a Gordon Ramsey thread for all his shows
Old 06-23-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I didn't realize until now that this is also the thread for Hell's Kitchen. Maybe there should be a Gordon Ramsey thread for all his shows
I did a season 12 thread for Hell's Kitchen, but apparently no one is interested enough to talk about it. It has zero activity. It was a fairly popular show here before, but I guess the formula has gotten tired for most here.

Old 06-23-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh okay. Well, that's understandable.
Old 06-23-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

For some reason this felt like an extremely short season of Kitchen Nightmares
Old 06-23-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...tmares/276031/

Gordon Ramsay announced today he's ending Kitchen Nightmares. He's filming 4 episodes for the UK version and then he's done.

Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, and Hotel Hell aren't going anywhere.
Just wait til Fox ties it in with his next contract or all his start-up restaurants start failing again. I'm sure it'll be back.
Old 06-23-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Just wait til Fox ties it in with his next contract or all his start-up restaurants start failing again. I'm sure it'll be back.

I doubt it. I think Gordon is simply getting burned out working non-stop year around with his TV jobs in addition to his restaurant commitments.

I mean the guy had 5 shows on FOX:
MasterChef
Hell's Kitchen (sometimes 2 cycles per year)
MasterChef Jr.
Hotel Hell
Kitchen Nightmares

Plus, he has several shows in the UK as well. That's an insane schedule. I'm guessing that something had to go.
Old 06-23-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Plus, he has several shows in the UK as well. That's an insane schedule. I'm guessing that something had to go.
That, and looking at it I'd bet his personal time investment per episode is far higher for Kitchen Nightmares.
Old 06-23-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Meh, who cares? I did like the U.K. version quite a bit, but the Fox one has been (surprise, surprise!) overwrought crap since day one. I'm barely hanging in with Hell's Kitchen, and Masterchef is testing my patience as well. I won't bewail seeing less of Ramsey and his Fox excretions.
Old 06-23-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I have two problems with Hell's Kitchen:

1. Too many chefs/too many episodes. An 18 or 20 episode season for something like this is far-r-r too long. It drags on forever. And even this wouldn't be as big an issues except for:

2. It is literally the same exact thing, episode after episode, season after season. They have taken "the formula works" a little too far. Yes, I still enjoy a given episode, mostly thanks to Ramsay himself. But I cannot tell one chain-smoking chef-wannabe cast or season from another.

I agree that FOX neutered the Kitchen Nightmares format that made the UK version great, and except for some one-offs with especially lunatic owners (Amy's Baking Company, anyone?) it is has become extremely formulaic.

MasterChef is a bore. Too little Ramsay (I couldn't care less about the other two judges), to much pretend drama. I suppose you could pin some of that on FOX as well.
Old 06-23-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've watched every season of HK since it started, but I got burnt out a few episodes in this season. I wasn't feeling any of the contestants so I dumped it. It will be back in the Fall (again) so I'll give that a shot.

MasterChef is his best show now, IMO. I liked Kitchen Nightmares but found myself getting a little tired of that as well.

As long as he's on TV though, I'll watch to some extent. He's easily my favorite celebrity chef.
Old 06-23-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt it. I think Gordon is simply getting burned out working non-stop year around with his TV jobs in addition to his restaurant commitments.

I mean the guy had 5 shows on FOX:
MasterChef
Hell's Kitchen (sometimes 2 cycles per year)
MasterChef Jr.
Hotel Hell
Kitchen Nightmares

You may be right. But still, Hell's Kitchen and Masterchef are filmed over three week periods. Plus, he doesn't even own his resturants except for the flagship and Maze (he liscenses his name and expertise). I wouldn't be surprised to see KN back...but maybe thats just wishful thinking. I guess as long as he's on TV in some form I'll be happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.