Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

He always implies they're below average intelligence or otherwise uncultured/simpletons for coming to his show. It doubles as self-degradation though.
Old 01-30-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly, it's inclusive humor and in good fun. I've never seen him single out one audience member and insult them.
Old 01-30-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Watched part of the interview earlier today. In one of Oprah's questions about ratings Leno says something like ' I was surprised to hear NBC wanting to cancel me. I was #1. You don't cancel someone when they're number one in the ratings. When you drop down to number two that's when you decide to bow out'

-Has Leno ever heard of going out on top? His good friend Jerry Seinfeld ended 'Seinfeld' when they were number one in the ratings. It's seems like he cant wrap his big head around that concept.
Old 01-30-10, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I've never seen him single out one audience member and insult them.
On more than one occasion, I recall Conan offending an audience member so badly that he walked out of the studio.

Old 01-30-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-30-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dissecting the O-Jay interview, lie by lie

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2.../oprahjay.html

Interesting article
Old 01-30-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow. After seeing the Oprah interview Jay is a bigger snake than I thought. The affiliates were upset with the JAY LENO SHOW, not The Tonight Show.

"Little white lie" as opposed to what he meant: I had no real intention of retiring.

He went at Letterman once supposedly vs the actual 3 times.

In Leno's mind, NBC asked Conan to move to 12:05 and Conan said, "Goodbye."

In actuality Leno finds out Conan's NOT okay with it but goes through with the push anyway.

but remember, don't blame Conan.
Old 01-30-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Roper
On more than one occasion, I recall Conan offending an audience member so badly that he walked out of the studio.

::
Old 01-30-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,109 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious

I'm speculating on the contract but they essentially would have had to negotiate a whole new contract with Jay. Let's hope they had more brains & balls in those negotiations. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have essentially guaranteed him that he gets to do The Tonight Show in perpetuity.
Come on! This Jay Leno we're talking about.

They just shook hands. No need to discuss any of those messy details with Honest Jay.
Old 01-30-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Contract? Come on all he needs is a handshake and an iron-clad $150 million cancellation penalty. He's just a regular guy in blue jeans.
Old 01-31-10, 12:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nefarious
The point is that you say the "people speak" and if that's the case then CBS would have fired Letterman 10 years ago because he's been losing the ratings war since 1995. Who would they get? Who knows but the point is they would try and find someone different if ratings were the end all be all like you claim they are.

You can't claim it both ways and say ratings are everything and that's why Conan got pushed out but for everyone else they don't matter because "who would they get."
Yes you can. If you can replace a ratings loser with what was a ratings winner you do it. If you can't you can ride it out with the ratings loser. FOX used to have a bunch of talk shows and all bombed, so now they run SIMPSONS reruns which get good ratings.
Old 01-31-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The idea that CBS would "ride it out" for 15+ years and not try anyone else is ridiculous if ratings were as important as you claim.

At the very least they would insist on guest hosts or some sort of shake-up. You ride it out for short term problems. You don't ride it out for 15 years.
Old 01-31-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Another thing about ratings: you don't have to "win" to be successful. Because the average number you get is used to determine the rates the show can charge, not whether you are #1 or not.

For example, the show I work for doesn't always win our timeslot but we get a good enough number that we can afford to continue to make the show. We aren't losing money. Having the #1 status would make this even easier, but think about how many other shows are on at a given time of day. They can't all be winners yet that doesn't mean they are automatically losers.
Old 01-31-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 377 Likes on 269 Posts

Bye, Conan. I've been watching you since I started staying up late (12-13 years old, mid-to-late 90's). The comedy has a certain 'bite' to it that everyone else lacks. Your show will be missed. And I'm anxious to see what you do next.
Old 01-31-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, troy.

-- Conan
Old 01-31-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I don't think Conan has ever insulted his audience. He pokes fun at and with his audience but he has never called them names, especially not in a derogatory manner.
I never assumed he did, just saying that i'm surprised he would be offended.
Old 02-01-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right, I meant that was probably the reason he got offended, since he seems to respect his audience.
Old 02-02-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/02/conan-...nbc-severence/

Conan O'Brien Bucks Up for Screwed Crew

Posted Feb 2nd 2010 7:16AM by TMZ Staff

Conan O'Brien is shelling out his own cash to some ex-staffers who didn't get jack from that $7.5 million separation deal
from NBC.

According to sources close to production, Conan's stagehands from "The Tonight Show" were not covered by the NBC severance plan. But we're told Conan is stepping up -- promising to pay his nearly 50 person crew at least six weeks severance out of his own pocket.

Conan's people had no comment.

The union for his former crew -- IATSE Local 33 -- says all the members who worked with Conan are "very happy" with the way he handled the whole mess.
Old 02-02-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"boo! connan's a douche! dont believe those pr lies!" - wm lopez
Old 02-02-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Here are a couple great videos from a couple years ago where Conan and Charlie Rose discuss the fact that Conan really wants to stay with NBC because the Tonight Show is his dream...

http://tv.gawker.com/5462309/conan-t...-stay-with-nbc
Old 02-02-10, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
"boo! connan's a douche! dont believe those pr lies!" - wm lopez
I'm sure lopez wouldn't say that. What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
Old 02-02-10, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luds
I'm sure lopez wouldn't say that. What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
You are the rock that I will ..... oh, never mind.
Old 02-02-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
It's funny. Through this whole thing Conan has come out looking like a good and honorable guy.
He continues to be a stand up guy and pays the rest of his team out of his own pocket and all the Jay fans can say is, "Well, he better!"

The argument for the Jay Leno supporters is that Conan's ratings sucked and that's why he got moved back.

On the other hand, Jay Leno has proven himself to be a continuous liar and distorter of the facts and yet you don't hear a peep from them.

Had Jay Leno's half hour 11:35 show been successful the execs would have expaneded his show to an hour. Conan's Tonight Show would have only declined more because of the bump and had even less access to A-list celebrities because his show starts so late.

Had Jay Leno's half hour 11:35 show been UNsuccessful the execs, using their logic, would have assumed, neither Conan, nor Jay can bring in the ratings anymore and both would have been canned. This is the same logic that the Jay fans here use.

Conan accepting the demotion only HURTS his career. By leaving early he still has SOME options, but not as many as he had when ABC and FOX were courting him. Leno made sure of that.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-02-10 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by brayzie
(...)

He continues to be a stand up guy and pays the rest of his team out of his own pocket and all the Jay fans can say is, "Well, he better!"

The argument for the Jay Leno supporters is that Conan's ratings sucked and that's why he got moved back. (...)
Perhaps for some, but my main argument is that Conan sucks. And that I'd much rather watch Leno or Letterman so I'm glad Leno got Tonight back.
Old 02-03-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Perhaps for some, but my main argument is that Conan sucks. And that I'd much rather watch Leno or Letterman so I'm glad Leno got Tonight back.
Why? It's not like Letterman moved at all during this, so you could've been watching him the whole time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.