Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Old 01-30-10, 03:46 PM
  #926  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

He always implies they're below average intelligence or otherwise uncultured/simpletons for coming to his show. It doubles as self-degradation though.
pinata242 is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 04:02 PM
  #927  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,759
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Exactly, it's inclusive humor and in good fun. I've never seen him single out one audience member and insult them.
shaun3000 is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 04:45 PM
  #928  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,481
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Watched part of the interview earlier today. In one of Oprah's questions about ratings Leno says something like ' I was surprised to hear NBC wanting to cancel me. I was #1. You don't cancel someone when they're number one in the ratings. When you drop down to number two that's when you decide to bow out'

-Has Leno ever heard of going out on top? His good friend Jerry Seinfeld ended 'Seinfeld' when they were number one in the ratings. It's seems like he cant wrap his big head around that concept.
mhg83 is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 04:48 PM
  #929  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 212
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by shaun3000 View Post
I've never seen him single out one audience member and insult them.
On more than one occasion, I recall Conan offending an audience member so badly that he walked out of the studio.

Roper is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 04:50 PM
  #930  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12,008
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Mad Dawg is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 05:22 PM
  #931  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY.. Got a problem with that?
Posts: 1,024
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Dissecting the O-Jay interview, lie by lie

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2.../oprahjay.html

Interesting article
TheGuy is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 05:42 PM
  #932  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,589
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Wow. After seeing the Oprah interview Jay is a bigger snake than I thought. The affiliates were upset with the JAY LENO SHOW, not The Tonight Show.

"Little white lie" as opposed to what he meant: I had no real intention of retiring.

He went at Letterman once supposedly vs the actual 3 times.

In Leno's mind, NBC asked Conan to move to 12:05 and Conan said, "Goodbye."

In actuality Leno finds out Conan's NOT okay with it but goes through with the push anyway.

but remember, don't blame Conan.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 05:54 PM
  #933  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,759
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Roper View Post
On more than one occasion, I recall Conan offending an audience member so badly that he walked out of the studio.

::
shaun3000 is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 06:20 PM
  #934  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 6,589
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post

I'm speculating on the contract but they essentially would have had to negotiate a whole new contract with Jay. Let's hope they had more brains & balls in those negotiations. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have essentially guaranteed him that he gets to do The Tonight Show in perpetuity.
Come on! This Jay Leno we're talking about.

They just shook hands. No need to discuss any of those messy details with Honest Jay.
Count Dooku is offline  
Old 01-30-10, 06:23 PM
  #935  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,772
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Contract? Come on all he needs is a handshake and an iron-clad $150 million cancellation penalty. He's just a regular guy in blue jeans.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 12:20 AM
  #936  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
The point is that you say the "people speak" and if that's the case then CBS would have fired Letterman 10 years ago because he's been losing the ratings war since 1995. Who would they get? Who knows but the point is they would try and find someone different if ratings were the end all be all like you claim they are.

You can't claim it both ways and say ratings are everything and that's why Conan got pushed out but for everyone else they don't matter because "who would they get."
Yes you can. If you can replace a ratings loser with what was a ratings winner you do it. If you can't you can ride it out with the ratings loser. FOX used to have a bunch of talk shows and all bombed, so now they run SIMPSONS reruns which get good ratings.
wm lopez is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 10:10 AM
  #937  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,153
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

The idea that CBS would "ride it out" for 15+ years and not try anyone else is ridiculous if ratings were as important as you claim.

At the very least they would insist on guest hosts or some sort of shake-up. You ride it out for short term problems. You don't ride it out for 15 years.
Nefarious is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 11:01 AM
  #938  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,455
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Another thing about ratings: you don't have to "win" to be successful. Because the average number you get is used to determine the rates the show can charge, not whether you are #1 or not.

For example, the show I work for doesn't always win our timeslot but we get a good enough number that we can afford to continue to make the show. We aren't losing money. Having the #1 status would make this even easier, but think about how many other shows are on at a given time of day. They can't all be winners yet that doesn't mean they are automatically losers.
Draven is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 11:31 AM
  #939  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,391
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Bye, Conan. I've been watching you since I started staying up late (12-13 years old, mid-to-late 90's). The comedy has a certain 'bite' to it that everyone else lacks. Your show will be missed. And I'm anxious to see what you do next.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 11:42 AM
  #940  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Thanks for the kind words, troy.

-- Conan
dork is offline  
Old 01-31-10, 11:56 AM
  #941  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by shaun3000 View Post
I don't think Conan has ever insulted his audience. He pokes fun at and with his audience but he has never called them names, especially not in a derogatory manner.
I never assumed he did, just saying that i'm surprised he would be offended.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 02-01-10, 01:59 AM
  #942  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,759
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Right, I meant that was probably the reason he got offended, since he seems to respect his audience.
shaun3000 is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 08:55 AM
  #943  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/02/conan-...nbc-severence/

Conan O'Brien Bucks Up for Screwed Crew

Posted Feb 2nd 2010 7:16AM by TMZ Staff

Conan O'Brien is shelling out his own cash to some ex-staffers who didn't get jack from that $7.5 million separation deal
from NBC.

According to sources close to production, Conan's stagehands from "The Tonight Show" were not covered by the NBC severance plan. But we're told Conan is stepping up -- promising to pay his nearly 50 person crew at least six weeks severance out of his own pocket.

Conan's people had no comment.

The union for his former crew -- IATSE Local 33 -- says all the members who worked with Conan are "very happy" with the way he handled the whole mess.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 09:03 AM
  #944  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chuckd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,699
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

"boo! connan's a douche! dont believe those pr lies!" - wm lopez
chuckd21 is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 10:42 AM
  #945  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
JuryDuty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 6,487
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Here are a couple great videos from a couple years ago where Conan and Charlie Rose discuss the fact that Conan really wants to stay with NBC because the Tonight Show is his dream...

http://tv.gawker.com/5462309/conan-t...-stay-with-nbc
JuryDuty is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 11:11 AM
  #946  
Senior Member
 
Luds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 909
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
"boo! connan's a douche! dont believe those pr lies!" - wm lopez
I'm sure lopez wouldn't say that. What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
Luds is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 01:40 PM
  #947  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
I'm sure lopez wouldn't say that. What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
You are the rock that I will ..... oh, never mind.
wm lopez is offline  
Old 02-02-10, 05:17 PM
  #948  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,589
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
What he'd say is that Conan better damn pay as these lads are unemployed because of him not accepting the bump to midnight
It's funny. Through this whole thing Conan has come out looking like a good and honorable guy.
He continues to be a stand up guy and pays the rest of his team out of his own pocket and all the Jay fans can say is, "Well, he better!"

The argument for the Jay Leno supporters is that Conan's ratings sucked and that's why he got moved back.

On the other hand, Jay Leno has proven himself to be a continuous liar and distorter of the facts and yet you don't hear a peep from them.

Had Jay Leno's half hour 11:35 show been successful the execs would have expaneded his show to an hour. Conan's Tonight Show would have only declined more because of the bump and had even less access to A-list celebrities because his show starts so late.

Had Jay Leno's half hour 11:35 show been UNsuccessful the execs, using their logic, would have assumed, neither Conan, nor Jay can bring in the ratings anymore and both would have been canned. This is the same logic that the Jay fans here use.

Conan accepting the demotion only HURTS his career. By leaving early he still has SOME options, but not as many as he had when ABC and FOX were courting him. Leno made sure of that.

Last edited by brayzie; 02-02-10 at 05:21 PM.
brayzie is offline  
Old 02-03-10, 06:23 AM
  #949  
Senior Member
 
Luds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 909
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
(...)

He continues to be a stand up guy and pays the rest of his team out of his own pocket and all the Jay fans can say is, "Well, he better!"

The argument for the Jay Leno supporters is that Conan's ratings sucked and that's why he got moved back. (...)
Perhaps for some, but my main argument is that Conan sucks. And that I'd much rather watch Leno or Letterman so I'm glad Leno got Tonight back.
Luds is offline  
Old 02-03-10, 08:47 AM
  #950  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,657
Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Luds View Post
Perhaps for some, but my main argument is that Conan sucks. And that I'd much rather watch Leno or Letterman so I'm glad Leno got Tonight back.
Why? It's not like Letterman moved at all during this, so you could've been watching him the whole time.
Jay G. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.