DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/568199-nbc-lets-see-how-low-we-can-go-conan-thread-part-2-a.html)

Nefarious 01-22-10 11:50 PM

Re: NBC: let's see how low we can go (Conan thread, part 2)

Originally Posted by Achtung (Post 9958493)
Fantastic speech from Conan at the end. Hope someone puts up the full text soon (I don't have a DVR at the moment).

Looks like it is all here:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/2...ex.html?hpt=T2

"There has been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and can't say about NBC. To set the record straight, tonight I am allowed to say anything I want. And what I want to say is this: between my time at "Saturday Night Live," "The Late Night Show," and my brief run here on the "Tonight Show," I have worked with NBC for over 20 years. Yes, we have our differences right now and yes, we're going to go our separate ways, but this company has been my home for most of my adult life. I am enormously proud of the work we have done together, and I want to thank NBC for making it all possible.

"Walking away from the "Tonight Show" is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Making this choice has been enormously difficult," O'Brien continued. "This is the best job in the world, I absolutely love doing it, and I have the best staff and crew in the history of the medium. But despite this sense of loss, I really feel this should be a happy moment. Every comedian dreams of hosting the "Tonight Show" and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. I've had more good fortune than anyone I know and if our next gig is doing a show in a 7-11 parking lot, we'll find a way to make it fun.

"Finally, I have to say something to our fans. The massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming. The rallies, the signs, all the goofy, outrageous creativity on the Internet, and the fact that people have traveled long distances and camped out all night in the pouring rain to be in our audience, made a sad situation joyous and inspirational. To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I'll think about it for the rest of my life. "

Although O'Brien did not end up winning the late-night battle, he remains optimistic about his future, he said, and hopes his fans do the same.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere," he concluded. "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

Jimmy James 01-22-10 11:56 PM

Ironic that NBC actually has the nice guy that Leno pretends to be and they shit all over him.

Go get 'em in your new home, Conan.

dx23 01-22-10 11:59 PM

Does anyone see certain actors blackballing Leno for all this shit? I hope that some of them take a stand and simply don't go to his show when this cocksucker gets back from vacation.

ardathbey 01-23-10 12:00 AM

Classy till the end. When given free reign to say whatever he wants he trashes
no one and gives a great speech. Well done.

And Fallon's open was pretty brilliant.

ardathbey 01-23-10 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9958515)
Does anyone see certain actors blackballing Leno for all this shit? I hope that some of them take a stand and simply don't go to his show when this cocksucker gets back from vacation.

Lol yeah, but not for long. Gotta pay the bills after all.

Rypro 525 01-23-10 12:03 AM

http://tv.gawker.com/5455131/cocos-l...ever-had-to-do
has conan's speech. I really hope they upload Ferrell and crew doing Free bird

Jimmy James 01-23-10 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dx23 (Post 9958515)

I don't think any working entertainers will be able to totally avoid The Tonight Show. It's my impression that a lot of folks are obliged by deals they sign to promote their show, movie, album, etc, in a place like that no matter how they feel about it.

I do think that an entire class of established performer will give preference to anybody but Jay, though.

The problem is that a lot of the most popular guests (yet nearly always the shittiest ones) are the ones who need exposure over all else and would go on the OJ Simpson brandishes a large knife show if they thought it would help them make it.

Match 01-23-10 12:16 AM

Is Jimmy Fallon next in line for 'Tonight'?
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ef=mpstoryview

Lemdog 01-23-10 12:19 AM

That was one hell of a way to end his run. 100% class and 100% Fun

Mike86 01-23-10 12:20 AM

I don't hate Fallon but I just don't think that he makes a good host. If he's the future of The Tonight Show....ugh. Great final show from Conan and a very classy speech. Really gonna miss his absence but will anxiously await whatever he does next.

Rypro 525 01-23-10 12:26 AM

the free bird clip is now on gawker

magiccmom 01-23-10 12:27 AM

Conan is way to classy and way to cool for NBC

gryffinmaster 01-23-10 12:34 AM

I literally blurted out, "Because that's exactly what Freebird needs -- more cowbell." :lol:

That speech was a very classy way to close up shop.

wm lopez 01-23-10 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9958510)
Ironic that NBC actually has the nice guy that Leno pretends to be and they shit all over him.

Go get 'em in your new home, Conan.

Has there ever been a farewell speech that made you not like them?
Richard Nixon seemed nice on last speech.
If Conan was this nice guy he would have addmited that his show was not good enough and not blame Jay Leno. NBC took him off because we the viewers didn't find him entertaining and so we didn't watch. And Conan starts acting like spoiled child whose toy was taken away because he's been bad.

ravan 01-23-10 12:37 AM

That was an amazing ending. Also may have been the last time I saw the Tonight Show.
More CoCo Cowbell!

Achtung 01-23-10 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nefarious (Post 9958504)

I know this comes off as slightly cheesy, but I'm going to print that out and keep it next to my desk. That was fantastic.

bluthswede6 01-23-10 12:50 AM

Great way to go out. Now I can't wait to watch the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Carson Daly in 15 years when Jay Leno finally gives up

Rypro 525 01-23-10 12:57 AM

As someone on Gawker said, i really hope NBC puts that rendition of Free Bird on Itunes and gives all proceeds to the Hatti relief. I'd def buy it

tofu 01-23-10 12:59 AM

Conan's such a good guy. I hope that he ends up on a network that appreciates him.

That being said. If they really did the Andy Richter show with Conan as his sidekick, I would totally watch that.

Count Dooku 01-23-10 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 9958524)
I don't think any working entertainers will be able to totally avoid The Tonight Show. It's my impression that a lot of folks are obliged by deals they sign to promote their show, movie, album, etc, in a place like that no matter how they feel about it.

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/up...ouble-face.gif

I know most people around here hate her, but Julia Roberts has only appeared on Jay Leno's Tonight Show once --Dec 16, 1993.

Darknite39 01-23-10 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9958562)
If Conan was this nice guy he would have addmited that his show was not good enough and not blame Jay Leno. NBC took him off because we the viewers didn't find him entertaining and so we didn't watch. And Conan starts acting like spoiled child whose toy was taken away because he's been bad.

I swear to God, every post of yours reminds me of Lewis Black's "if it weren't for my horse" bit. I fear that I'm just not going to wake up one morning after reading something you've written.

The reason for this shit was that Leno's ratings sucked and the affiliates were going to make trouble for NBC, which they didn't need b/c of the impending Comcast takeover. In order to appease them, they canceled Leno's shitty show and promised better programming at 10pm. BUT, NBC was screwed. By canceling Leno's show, they violated his contract and owed him 150 MILLION dollars. Holy fuck. What do they do? They offer him 11:35 again, which he takes because...well, maybe we'll figure this out someday. It wasn't the money. Maybe he just can't bare to be home with the wife on weekdays.

Conan, rightfully, knew this was bullshit. He stayed with NBC, despite offers that were MORE LUCRATIVE from competing networks, because he wanted the Tonight Show, which was his dream job and the dream job of comedians all over the damn place. It's not just a fucking name, it's a legacy--one that he could have built on for years to come, if not for NBC's screwups and Leno's refusal to retire when he was replaced (as Letterman eloquently pointed out). A major part of this legacy is that the damn show starts TONIGHT--right after the local news--not TOMORROW. By refusing to taint the show he loves, if anything, it shows how classy he is. He gave up his dream in order to preserve its integrity.

OH, but what about his staff? They are out of work!!!

They have severance pay coming their way from both NBC and Conan, and once Conan figures out the next move, I'm sure that most if not all of them will move over to the next gig.

Sorry, all, I just needed to get that off my chest. Now, to find some Xanax.

Rypro 525 01-23-10 01:10 AM

here's the full staff photo that was featured on the show
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kw...8azlo1_500.jpg

stingermck 01-23-10 01:12 AM

Fantastic ending. Great speech, and going out with Freebird. Amazing!

Count Dooku 01-23-10 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9958562)

1) In what has become an increasing annoying habit of right-wingers, Mr. Lopez attempts to rewrite history. Richard Nixon's "You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore" speech is a famous example of a sore loser, bitterly blaming others for his failures.

2) "we the viewers"? --Unless you are the Queen of England, you can drop the "we" crap.

3) Conan never even said Jay Leno's name once during the entire show. If you heard him blaming Leno, then you need to wrap your head in a better brand of tin foil to keep out the messages from America-hating space aliens.

RoyalTea 01-23-10 01:18 AM

when did hulu take off all the Late Night with Conan O'Brien bits?