TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol Season 9 Auditions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: American Idol Season 9 Auditions Thread

Originally Posted by freshticles
Holy shit, Avril Lavigne is a worthless piece of skin. "I like the rasp in your voice. It's punk rock" ..Like ties are punk rock? or dudes from Sum 41 are punk rock? Or hoodies with horns, cameras, and american idol are punk rock? Bitch is clueless....Doesn't help that she was totally confused by the sound of voices that were singing on pitch without the aid of autotune.
Avril is totally PUNK RAWK. You could put a Fear album on her iPod, and it would all be like "What is this? It sucks!"
Old 01-28-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flave
Sorry pal but you're full of it. Personally, I have no great love for Avril's music but that kid can sing. I recommend you check out her performance at the Beijing Olympics closing ceremony. And she did NOT lip sync. And she did it in front of a billion people. Sure, she's a bobble head, but don't say she can't sing.
Not full of it. Maybe she have gotten better but no way was she even consider a good singer in those live events I saw. Go back to the MTV performance she did in Rockefeller or the one she did for NYE. Those 2 standout for me.
Old 01-28-10, 05:09 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Walker also said he's been hearing Ellen wants to take over "Idol" completely when Cowell leaves.
If true, that's pretty ballsy considering the public still hasn't even seen her on the show and the general early anticipation for her addition to the show seems to lean to the negative side.
Old 01-29-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd like a sob story that ends with the dude or chick sucking badly. That'd be fun.

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Mike Walker was on Stern just now and said that Ellen and Simon are barely on speaking terms. They were all supposed to shoot some clip or promo last week and Cowell was an hour late and Ellen said "Fuck it, let's just shoot it".
Sounds awesome. Can't wait!

Last edited by Gunde; 01-29-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gunde
I'd like a sob story that ends with the dude or chick sucking badly. That'd be fun.
That would be nice, although many of the sob stories aren't phenomenal to begin with.
Old 01-29-10, 08:13 PM

I'll take any one of those guest judges over Kara - if they replace her. But the only 2 that haven't been more boring or annoying than Kara are Shania & NPH.
Shania doesn't have a chance of remaining as judge because she's smarter, prettier, nicer, funnier, more interesting and more likeable than Kara and Kara will point to the clause in her contract that Idol is not allowed to make her look more like a troll than she actually is.
NPH could pass, Kara in her blind self-adoration doesn't realize he too is prettier than she is..
I wish they'd have a pre-season contest where we could pick the judges like we pick the Idols.
Old 01-29-10, 08:21 PM

Best AI Sob Story - I've watched it every year since I was little waiting to be old enough to meet Simon, Paula & Randy, and I only got old enough this year and omg, I had pretend respect for Kara.
Old 02-02-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So happy Posh is back.We really need her fashion commentary.
Old 02-02-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

How ironic that the single mom who sang that Simon needs Rogaine was wearing a wig!? And her kid is a brat.
Old 02-02-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, Victoria Beckham is sickly thin. Seriously. She looks like someone from Ethiopa. Woman, you have money coming out of your boney ass. EAT!
Old 02-02-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Whooo Posh is scary thin
Old 02-02-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh GOD A.I., enough of the heart strings tugging. Single moms, sick kids, people in poverty.
Old 02-03-10, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Holy Fuck! How did the girl with the world's most annoying voice make it? And she got 4 (very enthusiastic) yeses. She has to be the worst ever to make it to Hollywood, no?
Old 02-03-10, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been pretty sad how untalented a lot of these contestants have been passed on to Hollywood based on their looks only.
Old 02-03-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the show but have read recaps of what happened. Ty Hemmerling, “Bikini Boy”, works for a Denver morning radio show. It would be interesting to hear him talk about the show this morning.

Here are the Denver people that you saw that make it through to the Top 24:
Spoiler:
You saw two that made it to the Top 24. The descriptions are from a website and are not mine.

Now Casey James, a motorcycle accident survivor, sings a country song I don't know and I'm not loving it. Simon and Randy are with me, but Kara and Victoria are totally for Casey. They love his look but don't talk about his singing, they just want him to get half-naked. Wow, what is going on? I'm really not that in love with him, I wonder if we'll see much more of Casey?

The sob story du jour is Haeley Vaughn, who was born two months premature and then lost her dad. Yeah, yeah, move it along. Everybody has a sob story. Also, born in 1993? Jeezus, that makes me feel old. Haley gets 100x more interesting to me when she says she wants to be the first black country-pop artist. She sings "Last Name" and it's alright but you can tell her voice isn't big enough for a song like that. But she's good enough to go to Hollywood, I guess.

Here are four others that were shown and made it to Hollywood, but are not in the Top 24:

Up now is Kimberly Kerbow with "The Way I Am." She's super-cute and has an adorable 5 year-old girl, though she has on a bad wig. I wonder if she has hair? I don't love her on this song because it's not showing off her voice enough, but she can obviously sing. Who does she look like? She reminds me of somebody famous. Hmmm. She's through unanimously but as soon as she's gone, the judges talk about her wig. So I wasn't imagining that! Good to know.

Danelle Hayes is a crunchy granola cutie girl with a 3 year-old son. Two in a row, huh. She starts crying during her audition because of how hard she's worked to pursue music. She seems really sweet. She sings "I'm the Only One" and she's got a great Janis Joplin thing going on but with better tone when she pulls it back. The judges are totally smitten with her and she's through.

Sixteen year-old Tori Kelly is up now and she's SO cute. Man, between Kimberly, Danielle and Tori we have some cuties tonight. Tori's little friend Hope brings pictures for the judges. Awww. Tori sings "Gravity" and has a beautiful little voice. We don't get to hear her really rip it up, but she's obviously great. Simon says she was annoying, which I didn't hear, but the other judges love her and put her through.

Nicci Nix is up now. She's from Italy? No, she's living in Italy, but she has a weird accent and a tiny little voice. She sings "Something Kind of Ooh" and I don't like her voice. It's... there's not a lot of THERE there. Simon calls her a "funny little thing, " which is totally true. She gets through unanimously, but I just don't see it. Hmm.

I'm tired of watching / reading about the auditions, I'm ready for the Hollywood rounds. That's where the real drama happens.
Old 02-03-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like the girl that sang Hey Jude (Deedee something?)...I was surprised the judges weren't more complimentary
Old 02-03-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's sad that the only auditions I really remember this season are Pants On The Ground and Bikini Guy.
Old 02-03-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are the people from tonight's show who make it to the Top 24:

Spoiler:
Lacey Brown was back, after losing out in the top 50 last season as she watched tattooed single mom Megan Joy move ahead. The honey-voiced 23-year-old Amarillo, Texas, church event director with the spiky red hair won the judges over again, though with a buttery "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," earning her second shot at fame.

The clip show brought together a variety of the best of this year's wannabes, from raspy-voiced Lee DeWyze of Illinois, a paint store clerk who sang a sandpaper cover of Bill Withers' classic soul tune "Ain't No Sunshine," to dreadlocked hippie chick Crystal Bowersox, a 23-year-old musician mom who went with the rocker girl classic "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin.

There was the sad story of Hollywood's Didi Benami, a 22-year-old waitress auditioning in honor of her best friend Rebecca, who died at age 16. Benami had trouble keeping her emotions in check while singing a jazzy take on the Beatles' "Hey Jude," with guest judge Avril Lavigne saying she had "huge potential."

...and hard-luck case Aaron Kelly, who blasted out a powerful country-ish cover of Miley Cyrus' "The Climb."

Personal trainer Michael Lynche showed off his massive guns and some serious R&B chops while belting the audition classic "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers. The judges liked him, Kara DioGuardi called him a "singing teddy bear," and he made it to Hollywood. It's unclear, though, what his fate will be, since last week news emerged that he might have gotten booted after his dad blabbed to the local paper about his success, a no-no for contestants on the show.