Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-10, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Interview with Mike Mitchell, “I’m With Coco” artist and Conan O’Brien supporter
Old 01-15-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/tv....unding-failure

Top NBC executive Dick Ebersol blamed the network's late-night troubles on Conan O'Brien and called The Tonight Show host an "astounding failure," according to The New York Times.
Huh, I thought it was JAY'S show that got cancelled.
Old 01-15-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow that Kimmel 10 at 10 thing is overhyped. It wasn't THAT bad, actually it was good fun.
Old 01-15-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
That was Don Ohlmeyer.
Fair enough. Post modified accordingly.
Old 01-15-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
Want to take a wild guess what the WC stands for?
Was this ever answered? If not, I'm guessing it doesn't stand for "With Coco."
Old 01-15-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gunde
Wow that Kimmel 10 at 10 thing is overhyped. It wasn't THAT bad, actually it was good fun.
If you thought that was good fun, your parties must be a blast.
Old 01-15-10, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Conan is OUT. $30 Million:
http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/15...source=twitter
The Wrap reports Conan is out, walking away from The Tonight Show with a $30 million severance. OK, its not quite a done deal yet , the deal has yet to be signed and NBC is expected to make a statement later today.
Old 01-15-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Nice. Hopefully it doesn't include any kind of non-compete clause. I'd imagine Conan will be using that money to pay for all of his staff to come with him until they land at Fox.
Old 01-15-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Nice. Hopefully it doesn't include any kind of non-compete clause. I'd imagine Conan will be using that money to pay for all of his staff to come with him until they land at Fox.
I think the rumor is that it does include a non-compete clause that only runs through later this year. I think they basically didn't want him to figure out some way to start up when Leno starts and have them in competition. They figure by making him wait until Fall, any buzz or fans of Conan will have moved on.
Old 01-15-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Wow. Was the Tonight Show with Conan that bad in ratings or was it just a little below Letterman's numbers?

Anyway, my .02 cents:

@WCChiCubsFan
I don't think you've put too much thought into the topic to claim objectivity.

Conan refusing to go along with this is not about his ego, it's about him not being an idiot.
If he goes along with the move, he will be competing with twice as many shows.
If somehow NBC's numbers improve with Jay replacing his time slot that makes him look even worse, as if he was never deserving of a show at that time slot.
If he goes along with the move and the shows still tank his value as an entertainer goes down as well as being cancelled.

Career wise it's the better choice to leave NBC.

@Rosie and Howards comments
They sound like haters. Stern is talking about going on Conan's show, not even to be funny but just to be serious and bad mouth Leno, hell Conan doesn't even need to be there. That wouldn't help Conan's show IMO and majority of viewers probably want something funny.

O'Donnel is mad because she couldn't be guest host back in the day. "It's not your bus Jay!" She's implying that it's now his show, that he should have gone along with NBC's decision. So should Conan go along with NBC's current decision?

@Jay Leno not leaving

If he didn't want to leave TV he shouldn't have retired from the Tonight Show. If he wanted to continue comedy/celebrity interview type shows WHY DID HE AGREE TO LEAVE? He should have just stayed. That's messed up to move into Conan's time slot.

@That one NBC guy
Of course he's gonna defend NBC. But to say Conan and Dave are "chicken hearted?" They're making jokes about an uncomfortable situation.
He doesn't even make sense saying they're jealous about not beating Leno. Leno's started bad at first too but had more time to improve. Comparing 7 months to 17 years is disingenuous, considering Leno's rocky start.

@Seinfeld
His comment about the situation is obviously biased and the only way he can actually believe what he said is if he had never been in the TV business.

Sorry for the long rant people.
Old 01-15-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I saw this from another website:
4 SALE: BARELY-USED LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW – MAKE ME AN OFFER!!! (Universal Studios)
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...551463643.html

Last edited by Match; 01-15-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So NBC gets Leno back in the time slot they wanted, and they only pay Conan 30 instead of 80? Good deal for them...
Old 01-15-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
So NBC gets Leno back in the time slot they wanted, and they only pay Conan 30 instead of 80? Good deal for them...
If they dont have to pay 80, why are they not paying even lower now, like 1M ? What leverage does Conan have to get 30M ?
Old 01-15-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I'm guessing they used the non-compete clause as leverage. Conan wants to get back on the air as soon as possible; probably means more to him than the money.

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 01-15-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
If they dont have to pay 80, why are they not paying even lower now, like 1M ? What leverage does Conan have to get 30M ?
Makes me think Conan's contract had enough vague wording in there regarding a severance that his lawyers were able to get him something. That or Conan could just sit and not perform and still earn his original money.
Old 01-15-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'm guessing they used the non-compete clause as leverage. Conan wants to get back on the air as soon as possible; probably means more to him than the money.
That was my first thought too. 30 million is still a huge amount though.
Old 01-15-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
I'm not a contract lawyer, but my guess is Conan's people would argue that knocking his show back and putting Leno at 11:35 was acting in bad faith. Conan might've won more money in court.

Don't these things always end in a settlement anyway?
Old 01-15-10, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
That was my first thought too. 30 million is still a huge amount though.
Guess it comes down to how much ad revenue they'd lose if Conan quickly began soundboarding against NBC on Fox, as well as how many instant viewers he'd have hooked if he started, say, during or right after the Olympics in one of Fox's unused easy-to-setup stages.

Old 01-15-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Guess it comes down to how much ad revenue they'd lose if Conan quickly began soundboarding against NBC on Fox, as well as how many instant viewers he'd have hooked if he started, say, during or right after the Olympics in one of Fox's unused easy-to-setup stages.

I can see FOX fixing up a temporary studio for him and Andy right at this moment.

I'm more curious about the response Leno is going to get when he returns to his spot at 11:35. He took a hell of a beating from a lot of people.
Old 01-15-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm more curious about the response Leno is going to get when he returns to his spot at 11:35. He took a hell of a beating from a lot of people.
From a lot of young people, the social media crowd, television critics, and anyone with a half-decent taste for intelligent, biting comedy.

Leno will still have the retarded portion of America all to himself, though.
Old 01-15-10, 07:27 PM
Suspended

Leno will return in late Feb/early March. Conan will likely not be let back on (anywhere) until Sept/Oct. By that point, Conan would have a deal with Fox and could be up and running by that date.

Just my guess, of course.
Old 01-15-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if a Conan fan will infiltrate the audience on the first night and pull a Crazy Joe Davola:

"Sic semper tyrannis!"
Old 01-15-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Conan can't launch another new show this late in the TV season. I think he's going to take the rest of the season off and have his people negotiate a new contract/show for him. If FOX does sign him up for an 11pm show, they would need the summer to launch and promote it. I don't see him coming back on air until the Fall. Plus they would need to find and build a new studio for him in the LA area....I assume he's going to stay in LA since 20th Century FOX is in the LA area.
Old 01-15-10, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
Conan can't launch another new show this late in the TV season. I think he's going to take the rest of the season off and have his people negotiate a new contract/show for him. If FOX does sign him up for an 11pm show, they would need the summer to launch and promote it. I don't see him coming back on air until the Fall. Plus they would need to find and build a new studio for him in the LA area....I assume he's going to stay in LA since 20th Century FOX is in the LA area.
Plus get Affiliates on board since 11pm is typically Syndication for many. It'll take a lot of work and, at a minimum, he will be back on Fox in Sept.
Old 01-15-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Someone just reminded me that non-compete clauses are illegal in California. Interesting...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.