Originally Posted by JasonF
Poor Carson Daly.
Who's that?
Old 01-14-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
If that's what you came away with from my post, you should really read it again or have someone read it to you and explain it.
Leno?
Old 01-14-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

If that's what you came away with from my post, you should really read it again or have someone read it to you and explain it.
you need to bother reading up on this situation so you can see why you are wrong, which includes Jay's involvement before you make such a fuckheaded remark.
Old 01-14-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Leno?
Old 01-14-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wonder what Leno's reaction would be if Conan hadn't said anything?

Right now, Leno's gotta be ecstatic, knowing that he'll get his old time slot back, AND it'll be "The Tonight Show" again for 1 hour. But if Conan had kept quiet and it looked like he'd suck it up an accept being pushed back to 12:05, would Leno be fine with having his show cut in half?
Old 01-14-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Poor Carson Daly.
It's funny, I actually saw part of Carson Daly's show the other day and he doesn't even have an audience or studio anymore. Apparently, it's all on the street and he does interviews in bars/restaurants, and it's filmed all "gritty" with hand-held cameras.
Old 01-14-10, 12:37 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

As someone who has watched late night talk shows on and off for as long as I can remember, I'd have to say that Jay Leno ranks at the bottom of my list. I DID watch his monologue last night, and it was horrible. I rarely tuned into his "Tonight Show" and the only time I tuned into his primetime show was to see the interview with Kanye West. After the dust has settled, I can't imagine I'd have any reason to watch his show again. Unless he promises to kill himself while interviewing Joey Lawrence or something.

Right now, I like to DVR Conan's show and Craig Ferguson. When Conan's gone, I may start watching David Letterman again, but I'm not a big enough fan to DVR his show or watch it every night; just when I know a really good guest or band is on.

Long story short, I'm on Team Ferguson! Go Craig! I'm extremely disappointed that I didn't buy tickets to his stand-up show in my city next week.
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I know more than enough about the situation. You on the other hand must live in a really pathetic world that can’t deal with reality. When you want to join us in the real world, please don’t. We don’t need such fuckhead thinking.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Jay Leno is like the Mcdonalds of Comedy. He tastes like shit but people continue to eat there because they're unimaginitive and lazy morons.
Old 01-14-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coli
I don't think there will be a backlash, the same crap happened in 1992-93 when Letterman left for CBS. Leno got the Tonight Show job, Letterman felt jilted, Carson stuck up behind the scenes for Letterman, NBC was going to fire Leno and give Letterman the job, and Ed McMahon went on Arsenio but didn't go on Leno.
The difference is that the Carson/Leno/Letterman battles were mostly behind closed doors. Most people didn't know until later what had gone on. On the other hand, the Leno/O'Brien debacle has played on on the public stage, so the public reaction could be different.

And lest anyone give a pass to Leno, don't forget that he was the first one to mention that he'd take back 11:30 if it was offered to him. And he publicly badmouths NBC while getting exactly what he wants from them.
Old 01-14-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

I know more than enough about the situation. You on the other hand must live in a really pathetic world that can’t deal with reality. When you want to join us in the real world, please don’t. We don’t need such fuckhead thinking.
My reality is where the Cubs haven't won a World Series in 102 years. Yours?
Old 01-14-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Wait until 2015! I'm putting all my money on the Cubbies before the season starts.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I find it interesting that to so many here Leno is the villain in this situation. I guess their love of Conan has blinded them to the reality of the situation and of course Conan is also taking that stance so they have something to feed off. Conan’s quip last night about “you can be anything you want to be unless Leno wants it too” really was more childish than anything else. Now the jabs at his bosses at NBC are funny and who here wouldn’t take jabs at those who fired them if they had the chance?

Fired, that is the correct word. NBC executives have chosen Leno over Conan and that has got to be a body blow to Conan’s ego so he is acting at against all parties who he thinks wronged him including Leno. The acting out against Leno is childish for he is not the villain here, the NBC executives are the only villains in this mess.

The executives, instead of doing this the right way by simply firing Conan as the host and paying him off went with a plan to try to get Conan to quit so they could save some money. After all firing him out right would have been ok since in their eyes he has failed to perform in the ratings the way they wanted.

For Leno’s part, he is under contract and has to honor his employer’s wishes or void his contract and lose tens of millions of dollars. To those who say he should just walk away because it is the honorable thing to do, please get a life. No one, including the “honor” crowd would simply walk away from tens of millions of dollars because it was the honorable thing to do. Besides Leno simply has not wronged Conan in anyway so walking away would not be the honorable thing.

So now Conan has been fired, he needs to go to Fox and have a show that starts at 11pm. That way he would have an opportunity to be competitive against Dave and Jay. If he tries to go head to head against them, he’ll be nothing more than a third place finisher, although I’ll still be watching him because I like him.
Judging from your forum name, you must really like supporting major losers.

Last edited by Double_Oh_7; 01-14-10 at 01:08 PM.
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

No message

Last edited by coli; 01-14-10 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
The difference is that the Carson/Leno/Letterman battles were mostly behind closed doors. Most people didn't know until later what had gone on. On the other hand, the Leno/O'Brien debacle has played on on the public stage, so the public reaction could be different.
I agree that alot of the BS went on behind the scenes, but when Letterman bolted to CBS, that was a HUGE story that day. I remember the press conference, and how Leno was going to get creamed, and how stupid NBC was for letting Dave go.

Trust me, I was one of those people who believed Letterman was going to kick Jay's ass, because I LOVED Letterman at 12:30. I thought NBC was a bunch of idiots for giving Leno the job. Years later, Letterman was never the same on CBS, as I still don't know what happened to him???? And I ended up watching Leno all those years.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah, and Conan is so funny when he shakes his head EVERY night during the monolgue and his big hair gets messed up.

Such a comedic genius he is !
Conan apologized for his hair in the statement he issued this week!
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
No matter how much you make, when someone making more than you and stupider than you starts fucking with your job, we can all relate.
That's never happened to me, so I can't relate, but let's sum up the grand total of what Conan has lost:

The option of doing the Tonight Show at 11:35.

That's it. He can still do the Tonight Show at 12:05, or he can do his same show on Fox. And he'll still make a shit-ton of dough. Don't get me wrong - I think Conan has handled the situation in a classy manner, making his opinion known without being whiny about it. What I find silly is how angry his fans are The guy will still have a show somewhere, sometime - you're losing nothing. Just use that remote control-y thing.
Old 01-14-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

that's not necessarily true until the details of his exit are hammered out. Conan might not be on TV for a while as a condition of any settlement, so we may be losing something.
Old 01-14-10, 01:11 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Judging from your forum name, you must really like supporting major losers.
Your posts say lot about yourselves.
Old 01-14-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

For Leno’s part, he is under contract and has to honor his employer’s wishes or void his contract and lose tens of millions of dollars. To those who say he should just walk away because it is the honorable thing to do, please get a life. No one, including the “honor” crowd would simply walk away from tens of millions of dollars because it was the honorable thing to do. Besides Leno simply has not wronged Conan in anyway so walking away would not be the honorable thing.
Maybe, but Leno retired from the Tonight Show and decided to experiment with a nightly "variety" show. He failed. He should walk away.Also as noted earlier, Leno doesn't need money, he lives off his stand-up revenue. I don't even like Conan (I'm with Team Ferguson ) but I have to say I'm with him over Leno.

Plus, during the Carson days, he used to rip NBC/GE executives all the time it was hillareous. Once this is all sorted out, the Leno fans will watch Leno, the Conan fans will watch Conan(if he has a show), Letterman fans will watch Letterman, etc.

People are loyal to their shows
I don't disagree, the problem is, will Leno have the guests to put on a decent show? I can see celebs holding out over this mess. It could be a six month period where Leno gets nothing but NBC stars on the couch. How will ratings be after he's recycled the same guests in that amount of time?

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Bingo. The internet age changes everything. Back then, once the nightly news stopped covering it, the story is dead. This time out, things will live on forever via YouTube and it will be dragged out for a long time. It also gives TMZ and Entertainment Tonight something to talk about until the end of the year.
Old 01-14-10, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
As someone who has watched late night talk shows on and off for as long as I can remember, I'd have to say that Jay Leno ranks at the bottom of my list. I DID watch his monologue last night, and it was horrible. I rarely tuned into his "Tonight Show" and the only time I tuned into his primetime show was to see the interview with Kanye West.
That makes me think of my favorite Tonight Show moment with Conan - the autotuned Kanye interrupting Taylor Swift.
http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrie...091409/1157164
Old 01-14-10, 01:22 PM

I still can't shake the thought that this is being played up behind the scenes to give both a bit of a ratings bump while they work it out behind the scenes. I've watched more of the two shows in the past two nights than I have since both took over their timeslots.

If not, count me as one of the 30somethings who hate Conan. NBC hasn't been anywhere near what they were in the Carson/Letterman days. I think Dave got screwed over by Leno but after the moves took place, Leno had the more watchable show. Dave's humor just was a more natural fit at the Late Show coming off a "dignified" Tonight Show. The same thing has happened with Conan except for many he wasn't even watchable at the 12:35 slot before the move....much less after the move. Did he improve? Yes. Did he learn his lesson? No. If he had, Andy Richter would be no where near the set. Can someone tell me what he adds to the show except a annoying look for a camera shot a couple times during the monologue? I will say that the band is an improvement from Leno's though. Fallon had a very rough start but he's actually halfway decent now. He's got the best band of the NBC late night shows and his SNL training is showing as his comedy is more mainstream. Not to bag on him too much but when you're big comic prop is your hair....you need to be doing standup or move to FOX.

So the question is how things will shake out. Will they just rebuild the Tonight Show sets for Leno and act as if nothing happened or are they just going to destroy Conan's set and move the JLS set/format to 11:35? Personally I think NBC should be innovative and rebuild Leno's TS set while keeping some parts of his primetime show. The panel that he did the other night was entertaining...the best "skit" I've seen on either of his shows outside of the Ross the Intern Olympic skits. I'm guessing FOX will build Conan's set pretty close to what it was at NBC....maybe with a bit of an Arsenio twist. Or thinking outside of the box, will there be some sort of a "screwed over my NBC" club at CBS with Conan going to 12:35 for a year or two under the agreement that he gets 11:35 when Dave retires?
Old 01-14-10, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Maybe, but Leno retired from the Tonight Show and decided to experiment with a nightly "variety" show. He failed. He should walk away.Also as noted earlier, Leno doesn't need money, he lives off his stand-up revenue. I don't even like Conan (I'm with Team Ferguson ) but I have to say I'm with him over Leno.
That is not entirely true. He was forced to "retire" based on a 5 year old agreement that Conan got the slot in 2009. It was one big gamble by NBC that has failed. Do you really think the suits (or Leno) wanted to give Conan 11:35 in the past few years? It was a move to prevent his exit to ABC when they thought Leno would be ready to leave and they didn't have a backup plan. The big winner in all of this is likely Jimmy Fallon. He has put together a fairly solid show and should be viewed as "in training" by NBC. He's not going anywhere so when Leno is ready to go, he'll always be there to move up.
Old 01-14-10, 01:29 PM

Since when did the Cubs have anything to do with Leno/Conan? Talk about threadcrapping...
Old 01-14-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jpb07
The big winner in all of this is likely Jimmy Fallon. He has put together a fairly solid show and should be viewed as "in training" by NBC. He's not going anywhere so when Leno is ready to go, he'll always be there to move up.
I really hope they have a better choice than Fallon as the future host of the Tonight Show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.