Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "The Son" -- 12/02/09

Friday Night Lights

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

During a crisis, Matt receives support from the Taylors and Landry; Vince jeopardizes his football career in order to support his family; and Becky and Riggins become closer.

An original cast member, who's been MIA returns tonight:

Spoiler:
Minka Kelly returns as Lyla
Old 12-02-09, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "The Son" -- 12/02/09

There was no new episode last week, right?
Old 12-02-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not a DirecTV user so I'm waiting for the show to come to NBC*, so without using spoilers, how have you guys been enjoying this season?

*I know there are a few ways for me to watch before the NBC premiere but I'd rather wait to watch in HD than watch now on my crappy computer.
Old 12-02-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
There was no new episode last week, right?
No, they took a week off.
Old 12-02-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I've enjoyed it. There are a few posters here who have nit picks about the plot about East Dillon vs West Dillon and about certain characters. But, from a dramatic standpoint, I think they have done there job and I especially look forward to tonight's episode.
Old 12-02-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started watching the first episode Friday, have caught up to this one. What a fantastic show.

From the previous thread:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I figure if there was a Texas town the size of Dillon that had a state title and state runner-up 2 out of 3 years, the coach (and stars) would be treated like a god, particularly a coach who gave up a major college assistant coaching gig.
I've thought about that, but Buddy was the only booster whom remained loyal to Eric when his contract renewal came up. Buddy lost all his money and respectability after the strip club incident, so the influence and wealth of J.D. McCoy's father (whom had a vendetta against Eric) took over, and the rest of the boosters, whom perhaps felt like having a stellar QB was a greater prize than the coach, followed in turn.

Interestingly, the current coach of the Permian Panthers (on whom the Dillion Panthers are based) is Gary Gaines - the coach of the Panthers the same year that Friday Night Lights author H. G. Bissinger shadowed the team. The team has not won a state championship since 1991.

http://mojoland.net/index.php?option...d=25&Itemid=62

Last edited by DGibFen; 12-02-09 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've enjoyed it. There are a few posters here who have nit picks about the plot about East Dillon vs West Dillon and about certain characters. But, from a dramatic standpoint, I think they have done there job and I especially look forward to tonight's episode.
I agree with you on the dramatic standpoint. I think the introduction of the new characters has worked well.
Old 12-02-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Started watching the first episode Friday, have caught up to this one. What a fantastic show.

From the previous thread:

I've thought about that, but Buddy was the only booster whom remained loyal to Eric when his contract renewal came up. Buddy lost all his money and respectability after the strip club incident, so the influence and wealth of J.D. McCoy's father (whom had a vendetta against Eric) took over, and the rest of the boosters, whom perhaps felt like having a stellar QB was a greater prize than the coach, followed in turn.

And I still don't buy it. Stellar QBs come and go. Meanwhile, you have a coach who won a state title and finished runner up with a QB who didn't get a whiff of a college scholarship. He clearly can "coach 'em up." Furthermore, McCoy specifically moved to the district to have his son play at Dillon. I don't see him staying there and being a long-term Dillon booster after his son graduates, so why are these townspeople bowing down to him, particularly when Coach already showed he's not interested in moving to the next level (and would likely be a long term coach)?

As for this season, it's pretty good. Some of the stuff bothers me because it just doesn't make a lot of sense or it's painfully boring (Matt's 'internship'), but I think the underdog angle is interesting (particularly compared to Dillon formerly winning every game on the last play in previous seasons) and the new student characters are a nice change.
Old 12-02-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If that performance doesn't get Zach Gilford an Emmy nod, then there's something seriously wrong.

Matt Saracen: totally broken up. half hating his father. half missing him.
Bravo Zach.

Matt slamming the door in the McDick's faces was PRICELESS!

Could have done without the silly Becky and Tim nonsense. She is the most annoying character on tv.
Old 12-02-09, 10:10 PM

I think this was the best episode of the season so far. Zack Gilford's acting was very good and the end scene of burying his father was heartbreaking. I loved when he slammed the door on the McDick's face too. I also loved when Luke ditched McDick and the other guy. Becky was extremely annoying in this episode. I hope there isn't a Tim/Becky/Luke triangle.
Old 12-03-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Excellent episode. Zach Gilford deserves major props for her performance. The scene where he broke down at the Taylor's house was very moving as well as his speech and burying his father with Julie watching. I also enjoyed it when Matt slammed the door in McDick and Son's face.

I loved the opening sequence when Vince called his own play and they scored a TD and everyone denied calling it. Are the Lions still winless?

Was Vince getting a lesson on how to jack a car? Guess he needs the money since his Mom can't pay the water/electric bills.

Loved it when Luke ditched McDick and his Posse. As every episode passes, I really want to punch JD in the face. He is such a major douche bag and getting to the point of being obnoxious.

Did not realize that Alicia Witt was playing Becky's Mom until she attended Becky's concert. I guess the lighting in the earlier episodes made her a little hard to recognize.

Becky's a cute girl, I can see why she would be attracted to the brooding bad boy like Tim. I don't think she's annoying at all, maybe a little needy since she has no father figure in her life.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-03-09 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:38 PM

I didn't recognize Alicia Witt until I rewatched episode 3 last Saturday. She looks a little too young to be playing the mom of a teenager.
Old 12-03-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by writer106
I didn't recognize Alicia Witt until I rewatched episode 3 last Saturday. She looks a little too young to be playing the mom of a teenager.
Age-wise the character was probably a teenage Mom and is now in her 30's (Alicia Witt is 34) so she could have had Becky at 16 or 17, since Becky is probably around that age. So it's definitely feasible.
Old 12-03-09, 09:30 PM

^I was thinking the teen mom thing too. We are getting bits and pieces of backstory on the new characters and their families here and there and we will probably get more backstory on Becky's parents at some point. I also wondering the backstory about Jess's dad hating football and why he didn't go pro.
Old 12-04-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The last half hour was heart-breaking, but in that span, Matt finally grew up after dealing with the anguish of an absent father's untimely passing.
Old 12-05-09, 11:37 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great seeing Lyla back even for a few seconds
Old 12-05-09, 11:52 PM

Surprised no one mentioned the Smash Williams reference. Thought that was a really nice touch.

Thought this episode was fantastic, and as touching as the end was, I think the scene I appreciated the most was Mrs. Taylor taking charge at the funeral home. Fantastic example of just how much the Taylors care, and even in a small scene like that, just a good way of showing that the Taylors are easily the best parents on TV.
Old 12-06-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And I still don't buy it. Stellar QBs come and go. Meanwhile, you have a coach who won a state title and finished runner up with a QB who didn't get a whiff of a college scholarship. He clearly can "coach 'em up." Furthermore, McCoy specifically moved to the district to have his son play at Dillon. I don't see him staying there and being a long-term Dillon booster after his son graduates, so why are these townspeople bowing down to him, particularly when Coach already showed he's not interested in moving to the next level (and would likely be a long term coach)?
I don't suppose that pointing out that it is a TV show would satisfy you?
Old 12-06-09, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
If that performance doesn't get Zach Gilford an Emmy nod, then there's something seriously wrong.
I have to agree. This was one of the harder FNL episodes to watch given its hard circumstances, but wow--Zach Gilford was fantastic.

I also agree about the Becky/Tim storyline not doing anything for the story. It's one of those all-too-predictable storylines.

And, yes, I think Vince was getting carjacking lessons. That must have been a seed for an upcoming episode--it was kinda just "there and gone."
Old 12-06-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't suppose that pointing out that it is a TV show would satisfy you?
If FNL was a soap opera type I wouldn't care. It takes itself much more seriously, so I have higher expectations.
Old 12-06-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I have to agree. This was one of the harder FNL episodes to watch given its hard circumstances, but wow--Zach Gilford was fantastic.

I also agree about the Becky/Tim storyline not doing anything for the story. It's one of those all-too-predictable storylines.

And, yes, I think Vince was getting carjacking lessons. That must have been a seed for an upcoming episode--it was kinda just "there and gone."
Agree with the Gilford-for-an-Emmy comments. On a show with a slew of great performances, his have always stood out, dating to season one.

RE: Becky/Tim. Because the two of them hooking up is "all-too-predictable", I'm thinking the show-runners are actually going to have Tim do the right thing this time around and have him -- shockingly! -- resist her advances. (Ditto the too-obviousness of the carjacking subplot.)
Old 12-06-09, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by yourlocalcinema
Surprised no one mentioned the Smash Williams reference. Thought that was a really nice touch.

Thought this episode was fantastic, and as touching as the end was, I think the scene I appreciated the most was Mrs. Taylor taking charge at the funeral home. Fantastic example of just how much the Taylors care, and even in a small scene like that, just a good way of showing that the Taylors are easily the best parents on TV.
Love the Smash reference. I hope there is another reference in a future episode.
Old 02-12-10, 04:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the bump, but I just finished this episode. Wow, what a tough episode to watch. Great performance from Saracen.

Loved Mrs. Coach taking charge at the funeral home. Did a double take on the Smash reference on tv.

Loved seeing Lyla at the funeral. Nice surprise there.
Old 06-04-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump.

This is the episode airing tonight on NBC. Excellent episode.
Old 06-04-10, 03:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think these threads have been receiving much attention during the NBC encores. Anyway, I've really been enjoying this season thus far (perhaps my expectations were slightly lowered after reading about the initial feedback).

Looking forward to tonight's episode -- heard it is one of the season's strongest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.