Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Flash Forward -- "Gimme Some Truth" -- 10/22/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 08:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Flash Forward -- "Gimme Some Truth" -- 10/22/09

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I dont like when an episode starts with some shocking and confusing scene and then flashes back a day or two earlier and then catches up to the first scene. It's been done to death.
Agreed! I don't know exactly where that trend started, or why, but it's trite now.
Old 10-23-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed the episode better than a couple previous (especially the Nazi one), and I'll keep watching. It's certainly not perfect. It has as many blurry holes as the main dude's flashforwards, but it's entertaining.

Very interested to see if the woman dies. I'm thinking she might have given the fact that she had her flashforward again...that would add another interesting realm to this show, knowing they CAN change the future if they want...
Old 10-24-09, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a pretty good series so far, reminds me of LOST. I'm probably a coupla episodes behind you guys (I just saw the Nazi one) on Channel 5 in the UK, I think he was just yanking a chain...
It seems to have similar ideas/questions Lost has (eg do you believe in fate?) and stuff like that.
Old 10-24-09, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I loved Courtney B. Vance's reaction to the guy fessing up to being drunk in his FF. It was like a shot of intentional overacting for a gag reel was accidentally used in the final cut.
I think there is a reason why I mostly enjoy feature films over TV drama. Acting. I recall seeing him before, but his acting is my least favorite on this show. It's like I can hear a crew member whispering, "Psst. Act!" (Bob and Doug McKenzie)
Old 10-24-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Fine episode, I'm in for the long run.

I understand the complains and agree with some of them, but this is a new show, you have to let it grow on you if you like some parts of it. Remember Fringe last year, same with the Sarah Connors... although this was canceled at the end.

Right now the only show that I can remember that was really strong from the start is Lost, one of the best first seasons ever.
This is nonsense. Plenty of shows start out quite strong.

I agree with you on Fringe though. I quit that one after 6 bad episodes.
Old 10-24-09, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Very interested to see if the woman dies. I'm thinking she might have given the fact that she had her flashforward again...that would add another interesting realm to this show, knowing they CAN change the future if they want...
She didnt have her flash forward again, she just remembered it.

Put me down as one who liked the gun fight and the cheesy music. The way everyone started walking out in the open and looking smug at each other gave me the impression that they all realized they were going to make it through the fight, because they knew they were going to be alive on April 29.

Also, the President's flash forward was interesting. Obviously something big goes down on 4/29.
Old 10-24-09, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I dont like when an episode starts with some shocking and confusing scene and then flashes back a day or two earlier and then catches up to the first scene. It's been done to death.
Yes.
Not only has it been done to death, but in a show where the main conceit involves characters that KNOW they're probably alive six months down the road, it's a waste. Of. Time. These guys could sit on a nuclear bomb about to go off and the dramatic tension wouldn't exist.
This episode was better than last week's, but the progression is...
Well, if the Joe Finnes (I can't even remember the names of characters!) character KNOWS he's going to be a drunk with a failing marriage six months down the road, wouldn't you want the future to NOT come true? I'd be working very hard to sabotage my own program because the likelihood of it destroying my life and family is too great. The problem of the episode (no funding) would be a blessing.
I'm not going to stop watching yet... but this show is making me really think it over.
Old 10-24-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I bet the season premiere of Lost will open with a strange, confusing scene and then the next scene will be something more familiar and probably a different time period too.
Old 10-25-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Well, I bet the season premiere of Lost will open with a strange, confusing scene and then the next scene will be something more familiar and probably a different time period too.
But in that show the creators know how to make it work. In this episode of Flash Forward, it was clearly a gimmick and used simply because somebody said, "Hey, it worked well in such and such a show." Sometimes starting with a clip of a climatic scene works, but rarely...often it's just a gimmick.
Old 10-26-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Just caught up with this, and I thought the negative reactions would have been much higher actually.

So these four guys after being stunned by being rammed by an SUV, all manage to escape out of one side of a car within literally seconds? It was so horrible in and of itself, but combined with that song I almost barfed.

I was bored with the lesbian scenes, seems obviously thrown in just to titillate.

The scenes with the President were the only good ones, that part of the story keeps me interested.
Old 10-26-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm giving this show one more episode before I delete/keep it from my Season's Pass. This episode was really boring.
Old 10-26-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Neeb
Yes.
Not only has it been done to death, but in a show where the main conceit involves characters that KNOW they're probably alive six months down the road, it's a waste. Of. Time. These guys could sit on a nuclear bomb about to go off and the dramatic tension wouldn't exist.
This episode was better than last week's, but the progression is...
Well, if the Joe Finnes (I can't even remember the names of characters!) character KNOWS he's going to be a drunk with a failing marriage six months down the road, wouldn't you want the future to NOT come true? I'd be working very hard to sabotage my own program because the likelihood of it destroying my life and family is too great. The problem of the episode (no funding) would be a blessing.
I'm not going to stop watching yet... but this show is making me really think it over.
well, if I were the Asian dudes,and I knew my flash forward was blank, there would be no way I would walk into a gun fight or ambush with FBI agents. I would hop on the next flight to Fiji.
Old 10-26-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Whoever decided that that song worked over the shootout should have their fucking head checked. It was so distracting completely took me out of the show (good thing they did it at the end then, I guess).
One of the worst song choices EVER, no doubt. But it's good every guy in the car could survive after their vehicle was hit with some sort of rocket-propelled grenade. Just jump out and open fire! I may be done...
Old 10-26-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Agreed! I don't know exactly where that trend started, or why, but it's trite now.
I don't think Alias started it but I know they did it to death.

Janis' rack looked outstanding in that dinner outfit. More of that please.
Old 10-26-09, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
I don't think Alias started it but I know they did it to death.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, Battlestar is where I noticed it the most. There were literally three episodes in a row that started with that technique.
Old 10-27-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

i want to find out more about the towers in the desert. they showed them being constructed but then didnt mention if they were still there or how fast they were removed
Old 10-27-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I am still intrigued by this series. I havent not enjoyed an epsiode yet. some were better than others, but for the most part all have been decent.
Old 10-27-09, 02:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Of everything unbelievable that's happened on this show (crawling across a center console to escape from the other side of a car before a missile hits, finding a crow chart population graph in seconds, etc.) by far THE MOST unbelievable is that 2 guys would be able to sing back-to-back songs in a karaoke bar. Where are the people waiting? Where was the filling out of the song you wanted on a card and handing it in?

That just took me right out of the show.
Old 11-05-09, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah that fight scene was terrible. How did they get out the car so fast?? I thought for sure they were goners. That music so corny LOL Did not go with the scene at all.