Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

White Collar on USA -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: White Collar -- "Wanted" -- 7/10/12 (Summer Season Premiere)

I really enjoyed this episode. The one extremely stupid thing, though, was how Peter circled Neal's location on the map with a big bold red marker. You know, the map that it took Agent Collins' men about 2 seconds to find in Peter's house. He might as well have just set up a flashing neon sign in his window spelling out where to find Neal. Poor writing there--Peter would have been much smarter than that.
Old 07-11-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I really enjoyed this episode. The one extremely stupid thing, though, was how Peter circled Neal's location on the map with a big bold red marker. You know, the map that it took Agent Collins' men about 2 seconds to find in Peter's house. He might as well have just set up a flashing neon sign in his window spelling out where to find Neal. Poor writing there--Peter would have been much smarter than that.
I liked the episode but this pretty much ruined the whole thing for me.

When they were looking at the map I thought he was going to point to the location not draw I giant arrow saying "NEAL IS HERE" on it. The real Peter Burke (from previous seasons who took great care of the music box) would have never done that and then kept it basically right by the front door for Collins. This was simply lazy writing and inexcusable. I mean they show what a great thinker Peter is figuring out where in the world Neal is and the very next second show us that he is apparently a fucking moron.

Funny how one little plot device can ruin an entire episode.

What's the rush in getting Collins there anyway? Why not have a couple of episodes set in Cape Verde and take more than 40 minutes to find Neal?
Old 07-11-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Now that you guys pointed that out, that was pretty stupid and un-Peter like. A little surprising considering this episode was written by Jeff Eastin. He must have had a brain fart in the writer's room. You would think that Peter, Jones or Diana would have taken the map with them and not leave it laying around Peter's house for the taking. Especially considering Collins has been watching Peter like a hawk since he knows about his close ties with Neal.
Old 07-11-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What's the rush in getting Collins there anyway? Why not have a couple of episodes set in Cape Verde and take more than 40 minutes to find Neal?
I totally agree. I liked the fresh concept of Neal hiding out after cutting off his ankle monitor, and he was found way, WAY to easily (agree 100% on idiotic map comments too). Guess we'll see where it goes next, but I'm glad to have it back.
Old 07-11-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Exactly. It'd be nice to have a few episodes of Neal on the run, still playing the good guy(like helping the kid) while essentially being the bad guy on the lamb. That would be an interesting dichotomy to see.

The only other thing I can think about the map nonsense is that Peter planned on Collins finding it. There's no way Peter could just fly off to Cape Verde without Collins on his ass. Having Collins find it gave him an out with his boss to take off work and find Neal.

That being said, instead of being a stupid plot device it now is a convoluted one that relies and too many dominoes to fall into place in this scenario. Plus Peter spoke to Neal and gave the heads up on Collins. There was no need to go to Cape Verde unless Collins found out where he was.

Also I want to know what Ms. Suit told Ms. Parker. I think she was way to trusting so fast.
Old 07-12-12, 03:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see Mia Maestro too, knew her right away from Alias.

It was a good premiere, but I don't like at all how rushed this whole arc feels. Having Neal on the run could easily last half a season, but it feels like they're in a rush to return to the case of the week episodes. Still love the show, but it's nice to change it up on occasion.
Old 07-12-12, 03:08 AM
Banned

It was a good premiere, but I don't like at all how rushed this whole arc feels. Having Neal on the run could easily last half a season, but it feels like they're in a rush to return to the case of the week episodes. Still love the show, but it's nice to change it up on occasion.
Old 07-12-12, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Speak of the Devil, Sharif is finally a series regular.
I guess he finally came to his senses.

Great episode. This show just makes me smile. I need that in my life.

Not too big on Mekhi Phifer but he didn't annoy me that much here.

It will be interesting to see how they will get Neal back on the WC unit.

Originally Posted by nintendospy

It's called White Collar. Not Burn Notice.

Did anyone else cringe anytime Neal said burned? It's nice they're (inadvertently) referencing a sister show but they shouldn't do it too much.
Old 07-12-12, 12:51 PM
Banned

Oh, I feel the same way about Burn Notice. I understand the USA shows are about the 'case of the week', but my favorite part is always the overarching mythology. Going back to The X-Files, I always watch shows more for the overarching storyline, with the case of the week as a bonus. So it's frustrating seeing great potential in a story arc be cut short because of the rush to get back to the usual format.
Old 07-17-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

White Collar -- "Most Wanted" -- 7/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Peter comes up with a strategy to return Neal to the U.S. before Collins catches him.

Episode 2 of 16

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pz6T-JFsW9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-18-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: White Collar -- "Most Wanted" -- 7/17/12

Kind of a yawner IMHO. Glad they're back into New York though - even if we have to deal with the whole get Peter back in his job and Mozzie back in NYC.
Old 07-18-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Predictable end to this arc, but still entertaining nevertheless. It's not surprising they went with a nice and tidy resolution. They had to get Neal back to New York and exonerated to get back to working for White Collar. The show is 1st and foremost a case of the week procedural.

They could have had a little more fun and kept things going in Cape Verde.

So let me guess, Neal, Jones and Diana are going to be working cases for a few episodes and Peter is going to sneak off to help them right?

I wonder how long Mozzie will be out of the picture.
Old 07-19-12, 03:05 AM
Banned

This episode was very much a yawner. I'm hoping the upcoming case of the week episodes are good, because this whole arc with Neil running was poorly executed.
Old 07-19-12, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was a good episode for this show - very entertaining. I didn't like the bar tending montage, though, as it felt like something straight out of the CW.

I'm really fine with them going back to case of the week because that's why I ultimately tuned into the show: to see their antics around NYC busting up white collar criminals. It would have been nice to see Neal on the run a little longer but that totally strays from the concept of the show.

So now that we are, again, back to square one - I hope the cases prove to be interesting.
Old 07-24-12, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I want to see a white collar/ suits crossover episode.
Old 07-24-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

White Collar -- "Diminishing Returns" -- 7/24/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The guys track a brilliant thief who's alluded the FBI for years.

Episode 3 of 16

Promo:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GFmWbR7Ca3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-25-12, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: White Collar -- "Diminishing Returns" -- 7/24/12

Another good episode. I liked the bit with Neal teaching Peter how to influence which diamonds the fence would examine.

So I guess Neal's daddy issues will be the overarching story this season?
Old 07-25-12, 10:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I like this show, but the episode title kind of fits for me. With shows like Breaking Bad, Justified, and Mad Men, USA shows seem all the more fluffy to me. I liked the shift to Neal & Mozzie on the run, but now we're already done with that and just have Peter dealing with a complete caricature of a boss.
I'm guessing Neal's dad didn't do it.
Old 07-25-12, 08:57 PM

Where did they shoot the first 2 episodes of the season?
Old 07-25-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
I like this show, but the episode title kind of fits for me. With shows like Breaking Bad, Justified, and Mad Men, USA shows seem all the more fluffy to me.
All of the shows on USA are pretty light. It makes them an easy & enjoyable watch. Too many intense shows like BB and Justified, and I'll get a nervous disorder.
Old 07-25-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It's obvious to me that USA Networks forces their shows to stay away from any serious emotional plot points or developments. They are intently focused on keeping their weekly episodic structure and minimal deviation away from the basic premise. It's one of their great failings and why I tend to grow bored with them after a couple of seasons.
Old 07-26-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
All of the shows on USA are pretty light. It makes them an easy & enjoyable watch.

That's their bread and butter. The shows are like this by design. There are a few good articles about how USA designs shows for their network.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/showbi...law/index.html
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...353678482.html
Old 07-28-12, 12:10 PM

I just watched the pilot on Netflix. It was good enough to keep going but does it get more intelligent? The very first escape from prison was so awful and there were so many convenient/lazy plot points. I liked the cast and am going to give it a chance and make up my own mind but just curious what people that have watched the progression of the show think.
Old 07-28-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by celmendo
I just watched the pilot on Netflix. It was good enough to keep going but does it get more intelligent? The very first escape from prison was so awful and there were so many convenient/lazy plot points. I liked the cast and am going to give it a chance and make up my own mind but just curious what people that have watched the progression of the show think.
The show has never been about clever plots, it's mainly for the people who enjoy the characters and their interactions. The first season probably had tighter scripting than more recent seasons.
Old 07-28-12, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show has never been about clever plots, it's mainly for the people who enjoy the characters and their interactions. The first season probably had tighter scripting than more recent seasons.
fair enough. thanks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.