Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention" - 10/08/09

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention" - 10/08/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia – “The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention” (10/08/09)

Synopis:

Spoiler:
Frank s behavior is more bizarre than usual---so bizarre that even the gang notice---so they decide to stage an intervention.

Guest star:

Spoiler:
Chloe’s in this one!
Old 10-08-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention" - 10/0

Sounds like blind leading the blind to me. Can't wait!
Old 10-08-09, 09:21 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - "The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention" - 10/0

"I think we need to intervene for you and your god damn illiteracy"
Old 10-08-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really solid episode. This season is definitely looking up from the last one (and I liked the last one fine even though it was the weakest so far).
Old 10-08-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Fantastic episode. Hilarious from beginning to end.
Old 10-08-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scene in the therapist's office. "Have the gun out and ready to rock."

Then the actual intervention scene with everyone screaming out "INTERVENTION!" Amazing episode.
Old 10-09-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Now that's the IASIP I know and love!

Great episode.

"Intervention! Intervention!"
Old 10-09-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Charlie throwing salt on Chloe at the end had me off the couch.

Last edited by cleaver; 10-09-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll tell you what, I badly wanted to drink some box wine out of a coke can, that's for sure.
Old 10-09-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Wine all over your lips and teeth"
Old 10-09-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

This isn't a good or bad thing (maybe good), but if you compare a season 1 episode to a current episode, the characters are 100x more insane and stupid now than they ever used to be.
Old 10-09-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The scene in the therapist's office. "Have the gun out and ready to rock."

Frank having his gun triggered and shouting "where's the fire!" when he entered the bar had me .
Old 10-09-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just knew their idea of an intervention would be "we get to berate someone and point out their faults." Good stuff.

I just recently caught onto the series and love it. Always nice to discover something a couple of seasons in so you can just dive right in.
Old 10-09-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
This isn't a good or bad thing (maybe good), but if you compare a season 1 episode to a current episode, the characters are 100x more insane and stupid now than they ever used to be.
Definitely.

In many ways this show reminds me of Seinfeld, just more insane/retarded.

Early in the show, Sweet Dee was the voice of reason and the most sane person in the group. She was like Seinfeld's Elaine early in the series, and like Elaine Sweet Dee stooped to the level of the rest of the group.
Old 10-09-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I see that too. I actually like it. The whole group is so severely over the top that it's just non stop laughs.
Old 10-09-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I prefer how it used to be. Back then, the comedy was drawn from the clever writing, but now they seem to be so reliant on getting laughs just from them acting stupid and outrageous. I feel like we've lost something in the evolution.
Old 10-09-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BJacks
I think I prefer how it used to be. Back then, the comedy was drawn from the clever writing, but now they seem to be so reliant on getting laughs just from them acting stupid and outrageous. I feel like we've lost something in the evolution.
I agree with your statement and that's a huge reason why I'm not a fan of seasons two and four of this show.

My problem with season two is that the first season was very offensive, but was still clever and, at the time, very topical with the issues of abortion, racism, gun rights, and molestation. The show was very hilarious, but the characters were still somewhat grounded in reality. Even with the off-beat episodes like Underage Drinking: A National Concern, the show was still funny with such an over-the-top idea.

When Danny DeVito joined in the second season, the show started with just how over the top it could be. Just looking at the episode list for that season, there's not an episode that I would consider memorable. After that season, I was claiming that DeVito ruined the show.

The third season started to find it's way of being over the top, clever, and topical again. The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby, The Gang Gets Invincible, The Gang Gets Held Hostage, The Gang Sells Out, Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person, Mac Is a Serial Killer, and The Gang Dances Their Asses Off alone blow the second season right out of the water.

The fourth season fell into the same trap that the second season did; everyone tried to up the ante on offensiveness and how over the top they could be with forgetting how to be clever and funny. The only episodes I like out of this season were The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell, The Nightman Cometh and Mac's Banging the Waitress (which I probably enjoy just due to the lack of DeVito).

Again, with this current season, the gang has found their way again. However, with the way we're going, this will be the reverse of the Star Trek film series theory. Odd number seasons will be amazing, even number seasons will suck.
Old 10-09-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll agree, solid episode and thus far this season has been good but a great point has been made. Season 1 and to a lesser extent season 2 were much more believable and realistic without having to go quite as far off the deep end. I think season 1 will always be my favorite because of that but, as someone else mentioned, it's like Seinfeld. Early episodes Jerry was a little neurotic, George just a little slow and lazy, Kramer just a little off. By the end George and Kramer are throwing a playground ball full of oil off the roof along with Kramer's intern and Jerry is trading apartments with Kramer because of Kenny Rogers roasters. All were funny and to some extent the less realistic episodes may even have the edge. Like I said, I love all of the Sunny episodes but I definitely agree that the show has taken a different style since the introduction of Frank.
Old 10-17-09, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

The snail was fantastic. I couldn't stop laughing when Charlie was salting her.