TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Entourage - "Runnin' On E" - 8/02/09

Old 08-04-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Entourage - "Runnin' On E" - 8/02/09

Originally Posted by Nefarious

I didn't get the Bass line either.
And neither did I. Does this mean we can look forward to vague references to Twilight in the near future?
Old 08-04-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
And neither did I. Does this mean we can look forward to vague references to Twilight in the near future?
More like two years from now, if the Knocked Up references are any indication.
Old 08-04-09, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Yeah, it's called drama, which involves setbacks and conflict. Why would they wrap it up? They've signed up for another season after this one and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 7th as well. Piven has also said he's batted around ideas for an Entourage feature film. The end is not in sight, yet.
Drama? Is that what you think this is? Hahaha! Ok...
Old 08-04-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I guess I'm in the wrong demographic - which begs the question if you all are teenage girls...
I'm with you Sloppy. I had to Google that shit to figure out what the hell Turtle was talking about. This all made me wonder what the hell is this show's demo...
Old 08-04-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
After five full seasons I was hoping that they'd start setting up the end of the show with some of these guys becoming very successful. Drama was finally on a hit tv show, E had started his business and actually had a client, Turtle was banging Meadow Soprano... For me this show is one step forward and twelve steps back.
Originally Posted by madcougar
Drama? Is that what you think this is? Hahaha! Ok...
If you think it's a comedy then why would you be hoping for them to start setting up the end of the show? For the most part, sitcoms don't even start wrapping up a series until the final season.. and some wait until the last few episodes to begin the swan song. This show has already signed on for another season and probably has another one after that.

And if it's just a sitcom then why do you need to have any progression whatsoever? The characters in most sitcoms barely change over the seasons.
Old 08-04-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001

And if it's just a sitcom then why do you need to have any progression whatsoever? The characters in most sitcoms barely change over the seasons.

I agree as this is my biggest beef with Entourage right now. It is trying to progress the characters in this big way when the show was always great because it was lighthearted, and dare I say, "A show about nothing."

This isn't the Sopranos or Six Feet Under, I just want to laugh for a half an hour, and learn alittle about the behind the scenes life of an actor. For me, the best comedies are the ones that don't change, and if it gets stale and you don't know where to go with the characters, then you end it on top like Seinfeld/Cheers. Cheers and Seinfeld never changed in their runs on TV, they were just a show about the characters, and stupid plots, and that is why they are two of the best sitcoms ever, IMO.
Old 08-04-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after drama's love interest screen tests did not go well, i was wondering if male models were going to be the next batch - nbc was going for "sexier".
Old 08-04-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Not if you don't get it, it's not. What the hell is a Chuck Bass?

And this was a shit episode all around. I hope Ashley dies a painful death - I can't fucking stand her.
Couldn't agree more.

To each his own I guess, but it boggles my mind how anybody would pick her over Sloan.

I'm not even talking about her looks either (she's about a negative 3 in my book)...her personality on the show just sucks and she's annoying as Hell. Sloan was always very likable.

And to those who think she's playing head games...Eric was the one that screwed it up. She was totally into him and he left her high and dry.

Now he wants to start up again and she's not interested and that's head games?
Old 08-04-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I just like the back and forth between the characters - could care less how realistic it is or how much progression there is... it's not like this show is trying to be The Wire.
Old 08-04-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Well it's not head games, but he's also not choosing Ashley over Sloan. He screwed up and he knows it.

Ashley is guaranteed pussy, but who knows if anything would happen with Sloan.

"A bird in the hand..." I guess

Oh, and you can guarantee E won't stop working on getting back with Sloan while still doing Ashley anyway.
Old 08-04-09, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I prefer Ashley to Sloan by far. She actually likes E. Sloan is a spoiled clingy brat who sees her boyfriend as more of a status symbol than a relationship. She dumped him for leaving town to do his fucking job and HE fucked up? Good riddance, I say.
Old 08-05-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe E realizes Sloan is way out of his league and realizes he has a better chance of hanging on to Ashley? Of course he's got Turtle's relationship working against that kind of logic.

I like the Ashley "safety net" theory above as well.
Old 08-05-09, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I prefer Ashley to Sloan by far. She actually likes E. Sloan is a spoiled clingy brat who sees her boyfriend as more of a status symbol than a relationship. She dumped him for leaving town to do his fucking job and HE fucked up? Good riddance, I say.
Didn't he go out of town to do his job and then after coming back decided to go on vacation with the boys instead of staying with her?
Old 08-05-09, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts

I get a feeling we'll be seeing Eric working for Ari soon. He may actually wind up replacing Andrew Klein in the TV division since Andrew seems to be headed for disaster.

Last edited by Coral; 08-05-09 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I get a feeling we'll be seeing Eric working for Ari soon. He may actually wind up replacing Andrew Klein in the TV division since Andrew seems to be headed for disaster.
I was thinking the same along that line as well. The Ari-E relationship is progressing and they seem to be in good terms. It seems that since E and Vince have realized they had to listen to Ari, Vince's career has shot back up and at the moment, Vince doesn't need E to make decisions for him.

Is there enough room on the show for 3 junior agents and Andrew Klein? E would obviously take more screen time than Lloyd and Autumn Reeser's character. I don't see much need for Klein's character anymore.

As for E and Ashley, they've grown on me. She seems to like him, he seems to like her. Her 12 year old looking face isn't really bothering me anymore, I guess that I must like her character enough, and Sloan's bad surgery is so awful that I don't want her back in the picture :P
Old 08-05-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
... and Sloan's bad surgery is so awful that I don't want her back in the picture :P
I didn't notice anything like that - you need to back that claim up with some before/after pics.
Old 08-05-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad it's not Lumberg working at Ari's agency.
Old 08-05-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

I think the writers have firmly ensconced themselves in the realization that Vincent Chase is the weak link on the show. He's a supporting character, at *best*. Not a slam on Grenier, it's just that they've painted the character into a corner -- he's up, he's down, he bangs chicks, he spends money, he drives around town, etc. The REALLY interesting characters are Ari and E. The comic relief are Drama and, to a lesser extent, Turtle. Chase is still a prop, a setpiece. I say, keep his storylines offstage and focus on what makes the show so watchable.

Poo
Old 08-05-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I think the writers have firmly ensconced themselves in the realization that Vincent Chase is the weak link on the show. He's a supporting character, at *best*. Not a slam on Grenier, it's just that they've painted the character into a corner -- he's up, he's down, he bangs chicks, he spends money, he drives around town, etc. The REALLY interesting characters are Ari and E. The comic relief are Drama and, to a lesser extent, Turtle. Chase is still a prop, a setpiece. I say, keep his storylines offstage and focus on what makes the show so watchable.

Poo
I agree. I'm not necessarily knocking Grenier either, but Vince, as a character, really isn't very interesting. It's pretty hard to relate to the guy for one--has zero responsibility, can bang whoever he wants, has oodles of money and basically has know clue about life in general. I guess in some ways it's interesting to watch a character that acts like him, but without the other people around him, he'd be absolutely screwed and also there would be no show.

They had a chance to go a different route with Vince's career in shambles and no money coming in, but then Entourage wouldn't be the same. One of the reasons to watch this show is to see these guys driving around in Ferrari's and buying a bunch of stuff we can't afford, etc and that's not gonna happen with Vince not working, so they really have no choice but to make Vince successful, but again, he's just not all that interesting. Him working does allow the others to live that lifestyle and do what they do to make the show interesting though.

So I agree that he should just be a successful movie star...bring in millions of dollars to keep his posse afloat and just keep him somewhat in the background and allow the other characters to run the show.

Seinfeld did this extremely well. Obviously Jerry was glue that tied Kramer, Elaine, George and other supporting characters together, just like Vince, but Jerry was rarely the focus of any episodes. Again, as a character, Jerry was quite boring. It was the other characters and their quirks that made Seinfeld funny. Frankly, anybody could have played the part of Jerry Seinfeld, but I could never imagine anybody else playing the other roles.

Honestly, Vince could be completely eliminated from the show and nothing would really change. Still not a knock on Grenier, but his character really doesn't add much other than an atm for Eric and Turtle. The rest of the characters could just talk about "Vince" and he would never even have to be on camera. That might be a bit of a stretch, but if you think about it, he's never had any real meaningful storylines other than simply being the actor that brings in the money.
Old 08-05-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

That's interesting because if I remember correctly, at some point they were thinking about doing the show but never showing "the movie star".
Old 08-05-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Poo
I would say this has been the case since the very first episode. E was always the "protagonist", and the other supporting roles have grown, but Vincent has always been basically the MacGuffin.
Old 08-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 836 Likes on 584 Posts

A few more things...

I'm tired of how easy Vince gets laid. I accept that he can get laid a lot, but not to the extent that he doesn't have to work at all to make it happen. It's like the fish are jumping in the boat. He's a star - understood... but he's really not that great looking - he's hairy and has a gimpy body with no tone or muscle... so there has to be some resistence from the women.

Anyways, according to the showbiz news that Eric was watching - Gatsby was #1 at the boxoffice. It doesn't matter who is cast - I can't see a this type of film topping the boxoffice unless the competition was extremely week. Also, they also mentioned that Vince was the star. I thought when he was offered the role - he wasn't getting the lead role. Either his character changed or the film is really upside down from the book. I know this was mentioned in a previous thread - but now we get confirmation that Vince is the star. What's up with that?
Old 08-05-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
A few more things...

I'm tired of how easy Vince gets laid. I accept that he can get laid a lot, but not to the extent that he doesn't have to work at all to make it happen. It's like the fish are jumping in the boat. He's a star - understood... but he's really not that great looking - he's hairy and has a gimpy body with no tone or muscle... so there has to be some resistence from the women.

Anyways, according to the showbiz news that Eric was watching - Gatsby was #1 at the boxoffice. It doesn't matter who is cast - I can't see a this type of film topping the boxoffice unless the competition was extremely week. Also, they also mentioned that Vince was the star. I thought when he was offered the role - he wasn't getting the lead role. Either his character changed or the film is really upside down from the book. I know this was mentioned in a previous thread - but now we get confirmation that Vince is the star. What's up with that?
His ease of getting laid doesn't stretch credibility in my opinion. He's famous. The type of women he's chasing around tend to see sleeping with famous men as a career move (which is dumb, but he isn't exactly sleeping with Rhodes Scholars). Paul Giamatti could get laid every day in L.A. if that was his goal.

Nick is the protagonist and narrator of The Great Gatsby.
Old 08-05-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His ease of getting laid doesn't stretch credibility in my opinion. He's famous. The type of women he's chasing around tend to see sleeping with famous men as a career move (which is dumb, but he isn't exactly sleeping with Rhodes Scholars). Paul Giamatti could get laid every day in L.A. if that was his goal.

Nick is the protagonist and narrator of The Great Gatsby.
I could see it as a career move for the chicks that are in the business, but Vince bangs cocktail waitresses, Starbucks employees, jewelry store employees, chicks from the bookstore, etc, etc, etc. I know it's LA and just about every girl wants to be in show business, but there are a few girls that live in LA that just live there and aren't trying to break into the business...and Vince bangs them too.

I kinda see him as like Shia LeBeouf a little bit. Young dude...not that great looking but has been in a couple huge movies and a couple bombs. Something tells me Shia doesn't get laid nearly as much as Vince does. Actually maybe a better example would be Tobey Maguire. Both Tobey and Vince had the highest opening weekend at one time. Both basically fell off the planet at one time too. Again, no way Tobey gets 1/10 the tail that Vince gets.
Old 08-05-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I could see it as a career move for the chicks that are in the business, but Vince bangs cocktail waitresses, Starbucks employees, jewelry store employees, chicks from the bookstore, etc, etc, etc. I know it's LA and just about every girl wants to be in show business, but there are a few girls that live in LA that just live there and aren't trying to break into the business...and Vince bangs them too.

I kinda see him as like Shia LeBeouf a little bit. Young dude...not that great looking but has been in a couple huge movies and a couple bombs. Something tells me Shia doesn't get laid nearly as much as Vince does. Actually maybe a better example would be Tobey Maguire. Both Tobey and Vince had the highest opening weekend at one time. Both basically fell off the planet at one time too. Again, no way Tobey gets 1/10 the tail that Vince gets.
Check that...Tobey Maguire is married, so he's probably not a good example.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.