Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Hey, looks like the new K-9 Series starts the same day....

K9 - UK and Australian premier on 3rd April
Marcus
Yesterday, 9:09 PM

The K9 adventure series will premier in the UK and Australia on Saturday 3rd April 2010.

In the UK the series will launch at 4pm on the Disney XD channel with episode two showing the following day also at 4pm.

In Australia series will launch at at 9.30am on the TEN network

The new 26 episode children's series features an animated version of the robot dog which appeared in Doctor Who from 1977-1981 before returning in the 2006 story School Reunion.

The series has been jointly created by Bob Baker and Paul Tams. Baker, working with his then writing partner, Dave Martin, created the original K9 for the fourth Doctor story The Invisible Enemy. John Leeson once more voices the character of K9.

The series is currently showing in Scandinavia where it premièred in January. It was shot between December 2008 and May 2009 in Brisbane, Australia. It is co-produced by Stewart & Wall Entertainment and London-based Park Entertainment.

K9 - Episode One - Regeneration
Whilst Starkey and Jorjie are trying to escape the police they take refuge in a large detached house, now the residence of reclusive scientist, Professor Gryffen. They come across two Jixen warriors and a robot dog, K-9 Mark I.
http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com
Old 03-27-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Series 5 Extended Trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3berYXUrSnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3berYXUrSnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Clip from Episode 6:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3eKmKsBqK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3eKmKsBqK8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-27-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Clip from Episode 6:
The British are known for their bad teeth but that's ridiculous.
Old 03-28-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I didn't notice that space battle had propeller planes!!
Old 03-28-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in 2003-04 when a new series was finally announced, I had mostly guarded optimism for the new show. But so far, after 4+ seasons, I really have been satisfied. This is, after all, Doctor Who, a show that has always been targeted for a younger audience but will satisfy a number of adults too. I really didn't think the new show would go so far to have a season 5. This is just incredible. And lastly, I think I will miss Tennant a lot. Also amazing that he has had more screen time than several of the Docs from the original series- Davison, Colin Baker, and McCoy. In time, I think Tennant will be remembered quite fondly as one of the great incarnations of The Doctor. The new guy better do a good job. Bring it on!
Old 03-30-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some shots of the Tardis' interior redesign have been made available. I like what the sixth picture has to show us.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/fe...new-tardis/01/
Old 03-30-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Some shots of the Tardis' interior redesign have been made available. I like what the sixth picture has to show us.

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/fe...new-tardis/01/
Yeah we never really got to see much of it during Eccleston and Tennant's time. I just remember there being quick shots of Tennant going through clothes or telling one of the companions where to go to find something.
Old 04-03-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Main Titles & Theme.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0WVRbIKjR4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0WVRbIKjR4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-03-10, 04:05 PM

I just watched the episode, and I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Eleven has a lot of potential, and Amy is the first companion in a long time that I didn't want to slap every 5 minutes. I also thought Moffat's writing was really well done (but we've come to expect that from him now). I might actually try to watch this series (I stopped watching it regularly since series 3), and see what happens.
Old 04-03-10, 04:42 PM

I have to admit I was totally wrong. I LOVED Matt Smith's Doctor. A fun episode that I think will be looked at down the road as laying alot of ground work for the eleventh version. The coming soon trailer at the end has completely turned me from "ehh, we'll see" to "must see".
Old 04-03-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not my favorite Moffat episode, but certainly very entertaining. It "felt" different too, like the entire production approach had changed: direction, lighting, camerawork. to all those changes.

I'm glad the post-regeneration transition period with the "walking into objects" didn't last very long---that had me concerned at first.

And, I always love the history of the Doctor montages.
Old 04-03-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Loved the new version of the theme! It's more of a throwback back to the Pertwee/Baker era one IMO. I'm glad they had plenty of The Doctor in his first adventure as opposed to him being comatose for most of it, but it's been a almost 2 years since a full on series, so I feel they rewarded us for enduring that relative Doctor Who drought.

Matt Smith looks like he's going to do more than pull it off. I'm fully over the fact that the guy playing The Doctor is younger than me!

And yes, the Doctor montage was a full on F*** YES moment! Not Moffat's best, but the best opening episode of the reboot series. Can't wait for next week!

It's a shame we didn't get at least one series of Tennant under Moffat's guidance, but new head writer, new Doctor. Makes enough sense to me!
Old 04-03-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I absolutely hated the first 15 minutes or so.

However, by the end of the episode I found myself absolutely loving it.

Great start to a new beginning.

And, the new companion is teh hot.
Old 04-03-10, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to watch the entire episode later tonight, but had to check out the title sequence first.... like all fans would! There's a lot of hate for it among fans at Gallifrey Base, but I don't think it is all that bad. Sure, the opening 10-15 seconds are different, but the theme kind of works (if you listen to the entire BBC version). I hear some bits that remind me of The Trial of a Timelord opening, there's plenty of the dum-dum-dum-da-dum-dum-dum in the background, the last seconds of the end credits makes you think there's a buildup to the starfield explosion (like in Davison and Colin Baker's end themes) but there's no bang.... the middle 8 is kind of weak though and the orchestral stuff that was pretty strong in Tennant's theme is weaker here too. Not necessarily bad (except for the middle 8).... just different
Old 04-03-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It felt uneven at times -- maybe just a tad too long -- but it definitely brought back the fun and by the time of the montage I was hooked with the new Doc.

Davies seemed to be more interested in cramming themes in his episodes, forsaking the story. Moffat shows he likes to give the audience a story, and thus an adventure.

Amy seems great as she beings Donna's sense of skepticism, but willingness to go along for the ride without being shrill (so far).
Old 04-03-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was better than all of season 4.
Old 04-03-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought it was a solid beginning. The setup seemed to come straight from "The Girl in the Fireplace", but other than that it was relatively interesting and I hope that Amy and her friends in the modern day can freshen things up a bit, since I'd gotten a bit sick of Rose, Martha, Donna, and all of their friends and families.

I certainly wouldn't mind if she took that "policewoman" skirt along in the Tardia either.
Old 04-04-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not my favorite Moffat episode, but certainly very entertaining. It "felt" different too, like the entire production approach had changed: direction, lighting, camerawork. to all those changes.

I liked the new look too. Even down to the music was different and that isn't a bad thing. Matt Smith was fine and the new companion refreshing.
Liked the new credits and the past Doctors thing too.
Great preview of the rest of the season too. I think they are definitely on the right track.
Old 04-04-10, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it stumbled a bit at the beginning but once the episode got rolling, it got good fast! Smith looks like he has what it takes and I can't wait to see how the rest of this Series progresses. Not too sure about the theme music yet. When I first heard it, I thought "WOW! That's really different." But I'm sure it'll grow on me. The entire episode had a NEW feel to it. Not just new Doctor & TARDIS but new everything. Even the way the producer/director credits faded in had me smiling. It's an entirely new show! Just how I remember Doctor Who whenever a new team took over.
Old 04-04-10, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it. Not the best episode, but pretty entertaining.
I thought Matt Smith did a really good job. I think I'm going to like him as The Doctor. And yeah, on the new companion.
Old 04-04-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm surprised so many had a problem with the beginning. I thought it was a bit weird at first, but then you soon come to learn that weird is the new Doctor. I was brimming from ear to ear during the entire kitchen table sequence - that was golden. Then for Moffat to turn fun and light into creepy was something to behold. At the snap of a finger he showed you evil that crack was.

I'm glad the post-regeneration transition period with the "walking into objects" didn't last very long---that had me concerned at first.

I read an interview saying that they wanted an entirely new look and that's where some of the influence from Twilight/HP came from. The way it came off on screen really worked too. I thought it was a very weird warm/dark mix. Plus they said none of the directors from the previous 4 series would be working on this series.

I was also impressed with how organic Matt's use of the new screwdriver was. I had also read that he played with that thing non-stop, so I imagine by the end of the series it will be even more natural looking. I think they said Virgo did something similar with his weapons in LotR filming.

Overall I enjoyed it tremendously. Moffat and Smith did a great job of working in 10 mannerism and slowly fazed them out in favor of Smith's "mad man in a box". Plus, bow ties are cool. I also though Amy was a good new type of companion (at least for me) that was a nice counter to both Donna, Rose and Martha. They'd go right, the Doctor would go left and after a moment of thought she'd go straight. I'm sure that will get her in a lot trouble in the future though.

Anybody else think there is some significance to the Doctor messing up and missing 5 minutes by 14 years, and then a few minutes by 2 more years? I wonder if it's just brushing the newness off, or if it's something bigger messing with space/time.

Oh yeah, Amy = sultry! (Could be nsfw.)

Spoiler:
Old 04-04-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got done watching it, really enjoyed it. The new opening sequence and theme was a nice change, imo. Smith looks like he'll be a good Doctor. I liked him walking through the holograph of the old doctors at the end, a nice little changing of the guard moment.
Old 04-04-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the first half was stronger than the second. I was hoping for a slow down of the Tennant-era "Oh dear god run run run dialogue dialogue run run run run Aaaaaaaaaaaand I've saved the universe" theme.

But, I think Matt Smith will be fine, and the season will get stronger and stronger. We already have our running storyline.

I did really feel as though the cold open was unnecessary. The Tardis crashing and him emerging from it was a better intro to the character.
Old 04-04-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved it. I think Matt Smith is going to be an amazing Doctor. I was never the biggest fan of Tennant's Doctor.
Old 04-04-10, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was highly impressed. It left with the best possible reaction which was: I cannot wait to see what they do next.

The only sour point was Moffat's "Blink"-flipped use of an alien outside normal perception that, in the end, mostly just stands around totally still, looking slightly, but not really, creepy.That said, intro Doc eps should be all about the new Doc/team, not the villain, and on that front...

Finally, they absolultey nailed the production. One of my problems with initial NewWho is what I considered too flat production, everything being too brightly lit, too focused, which actually makes a scifi series look cheaper because it shows the seams and tarnishes a sense of atmosphere. The relaunch had a much more cinematic feel to the shooting and overall look. I hope they continue with this standard; previews indicate they probably will.

Smith really won me over. I thought the open was great, goofy but pointed, and from there it got even better as he ramped into Doc mode. He seemed to really "get it" and is clearly energized and having fun playing in the Doc's skin. Companion is fine too, though the whole Doc as dream guy angle for a female companion has been well trod already with Rose and Donna
Spoiler:
right down to the interrupted wedding bit
, but its early going, we'll see how it plays out.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-04-10 at 03:37 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.