Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 5 Discussion (BBC)

Old 04-18-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-18-10, 07:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think I've enjoyed the last three episodes more than the rest of you, but I think the upcoming two-parter will be the most telling of how the rest of the season will go.
Old 04-18-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Saw the first episode with Matt Smith on BBC America last night and I think he's going to make a great Doctor...that's three for three with casting since the "reboot". As for Karen Gillan, one show and I already have an unhealthy crush on her.
Old 04-18-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As for Karen Gillan, one show and I already have an unhealthy crush on her.
Amen to that.

Doug
Old 04-19-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by the valeyard
no
Old 04-19-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Russell T. Davies to write for 11th Doctor and the return of 3rd Doctor companion Jo Grant. All in the next Sarah Jane Adventures.

From Gallifrey Base:

The BBC Press Office has announced that The Sarah Jane Adventures will have two special guests when it returns for a fourth series this autumn. In a special two-part story written by Russell T Davies, Matt Smith will appear as the Doctor, and Katy Manning will guest as the Doctor's former companion Jo Grant. Manning starred in Doctor Who opposite the Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee, from 1971 to 1973. Manning has recorded audio adventures for Big Finish Productions, but this will be the first time she has played Jo Grant on television in thirty-seven years.

The press release includes reactions from Elisabeth Sladen, who plays Sarah Jane Smith, Manning, and Sarah Jane Adventures executive producer Nikki Wilson:
Elisabeth Sladen, who plays Sarah Jane comments: "It's a fantastic script and I can't wait to work with another Doctor and hope Matt has fun with us. I've known Katy for ages and I am delighted to be working with her. I last met her in LA but this time we will be in Cardiff. LA was good but Cardiff is better."

Katy Manning, who recently returned to live in the UK again, adds: "Playing Jo Grant again is something I never really considered. I was gob-smacked when they told me and I am over the moon. What an incredible little treat. I come home and this is one of the first things that happens."

Executive producer Nikki Wilson says: "We are absolutely thrilled to be introducing Sarah Jane and the gang to both The Eleventh Doctor and Jo Grant, and to have a script penned by Russell T Davies is the icing on the cake!

"Viewers are in for a real treat, with an action-packed story full of Russell's usual wit and warmth, which takes the gang inside a secret base beneath Snowdon and introduces brand-new vulture aliens, the mysterious Shansheeth. All this, plus a trip to an alien planet – a first for The Sarah Jane Adventures."
Old 04-19-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Doctor and Jo

Just as long as it doesn't lead to "The Jo Grant Adventures".
Old 04-19-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wasnt too impressed with the Dalek ep.

First of all, when you are too fat to play Winston Churchill... go on a diet, buddy

Agree it just seemed to limp out the Daleks return, again. At least the Daleks got away. Who has always needed to drop the whole "The Daleks (or any major villain really) are dead on gone" storylines because its silly, they'll always be back, and it deflates them as villains.

This is the kind of ep that makes me long for the serialized, classic format because they could have fleshed out the filler (more with the scientist, the whole chick-pilot love angle, Churchill, etc). Always liked that character stuff. Sure its just padding but the secondary stuff was often a nice color on the old series, made things look less rushed and kinda' hollow like this ep was.
Old 04-19-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I agree with those who thought this was left wanting.

I'm new to the series, but the Daleks are back again and escape through time. Who would have expected that?... If they want them to be credible as an enemy, they need to have consequences - break the timeline (do they even recognize let alone care about these "fix points in time"?) kill a companion!

What happens if a companion dies anyway? Does the Doctor just move on? I'd like to think he's compassionate enough to return and come up with a plausible story for their friends and relatives.

I think the most interesting part of the episode was the Doctor's reaction to letting them get away again. You could see that he wished he made the other choice and perhaps this one time it wasn't worth saving earth. Even after the entire room was extatic his "Yay!" felt forced and flat, which to me was him playing the part of excited despite not being so.

Also, a note of caution (even though the series has finish filming) - they need to be careful with Smith playing angry. As much as I am enjoying his stint as the Doctor his angry is bordering on tantrum. Tennant sold me on eternal rage when he was mad, but Smith is close to coming off as whining about something. The delivery or anger needs more weight behind it.
Old 04-19-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished the Daleks one.

Both the whale and the Daleks shows felt a little flat to me. I liked them, but they felt a little off or something.

The new companion is easy on the eyes and delivers in the episodes too.

I guess the theme of the 'cracks in the universe' are going to build to the season finale. That crack in the whale ship at the end, the callback to the crack in the companion's wall and her knowing things, etc.
Old 04-19-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's more diabolical than that...

Old 04-19-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-19-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

What happens if a companion dies anyway? Does the Doctor just move on? I'd like to think he's compassionate enough to return and come up with a plausible story for their friends and relatives.
This has happened:

Spoiler:
Adric, a two-year companion, was killed by the Cybermen during Peter Davidson's run, back around '81 or '82. It was pretty intense, the Doctor (who hates guns) actually grabbed a Cyberman's blaster and blew his silver ass away with it.

Following his death, Tegan and Nyssa (his other two companions at the time) wanted him to go back and save Adric, but he said it couldn't be done.

I also seem to recall that
Spoiler:
a couple of companions died during a conflict with the Daleks during the William Hartnell (first Doctor) run. But I don't think they were long-term companions, and the episodes were trashed by the BBC along with a hundred other episodes, so we'll never see them.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-19-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-19-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I also seem to recall that
Spoiler:
a couple of companions died during a conflict with the Daleks during the William Hartnell (first Doctor) run. But I don't think they were long-term companions, and the episodes were trashed by the BBC along with a hundred other episodes, so we'll never see them.
The Daleks Masterplan - an epic 12 parter.

Spoilers for a 45 year old episode.

Spoiler:
Katarina - a Trojan handmaiden(!) who joined the Doctor in the previous story - was offed in episode 4; and Sara Kingdom - who joined in this story - at the end of The Daleks Masterplan. Episodes 2, 5, and 10 of this story still exist and are offered on the Lost in Time DVD.
Old 04-19-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The Doctor and Jo

Just as long as it doesn't lead to "The Jo Grant Adventures".
Good idea. Do we get to see Tegan and Nyssa at some point??

Not overly thrilled with the Dalek episode. Retread. Give them a year break or something.
Next weeks looks great.
Old 04-19-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only good reason about the Daleks being back so early is that it seems to be necessary to what's going to be the overall arc of the season

Spoiler:
The Doctor figuring out that apparently the humans have no memory of Daleks invading and stealing the Earth, and now he must solve that mystery.
Old 04-20-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Premier on BBCA broke records. I posted the full details in the ratings thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/561...l#post10114927
Old 04-23-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not exactly Series 5 related, but I found this interview interesting. He appears to have such great energy and passion. It really makes me wish they'd find a way to bring him back, even if it's some stand alone piece for himself. Love his outburst at Russell and how he references Smith.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vDOMy98R9hk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vDOMy98R9hk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-24-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The angels made for a good episode tonight. The angel coming towards Amy through the tv creeped out my girlfriend.

Loved how

Spoiler:
they tapdanced around River being the Doctor's future wife.
Old 04-24-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Not exactly Series 5 related, but I found this interview interesting. He appears to have such great energy and passion. It really makes me wish they'd find a way to bring him back, even if it's some stand alone piece for himself. Love his outburst at Russell and how he references Smith.
The beginning of that interview is a bit odd because McGann makes it sound like he has never been contacted about reprising his role, but he has done several dozen audio stories as the Doctor.
Old 04-24-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
The beginning of that interview is a bit odd because McGann makes it sound like he has never been contacted about reprising his role, but he has done several dozen audio stories as the Doctor.
I think he was specifically referring to the BBC not contacting him about playing the Doctor on television. The audios are produced by Big Finish, not the BBC, so technically he still hasn't been contacted by the BBC about reprising the 8th Doctor.
Old 04-24-10, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
The angels made for a good episode tonight. The angel coming towards Amy through the tv creeped out my girlfriend.

Loved how

Spoiler:
they tapdanced around River being the Doctor's future wife.
I though it was the best one of the year. I was so entranced with the episode I was shocked that it was suddenly over and then realizing I'd have to wait a week to see the conclusion.
Old 04-24-10, 11:18 PM

Does anyone else see the "death" of the tenth Doctor as a tragedy?

I have started to view the progression of regenerations as akin to reincarnations -- the same life force evolving through numerous physical iterations, with each manifestation having its own distinct awareness and personality.

Some of these manifestations are well-equipped to see the big picture while others can only think of their immediate circumstances and finite mode of awareness. I think Tennant's Doctor fell into the latter category, as evidenced by his despair at the end and his final words: "I don't want to go." Further support is provided by this Doctor's whirlwind tour of companions and loved ones as he was nearing the end. I doubt that the more metaphysically grounded manifestations would have bothered, as they were more comfortable "giving into" the natural progression and welcoming their next state of being. In short, they more fully realized that they were not dying but merely transforming. I think the Ood intuitively understood the tenth Doctor's limitations, hence the comforting singing to lull the Doctor to his "sleep".

I think the eleventh Doctor possesses a more comprehensive awareness and is able to take things much less seriously than the tenth. His sensibility just seems to carry much less weight.

Thoughts?

Last edited by DVD Guy ATL; 04-24-10 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 12:22 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Apropos of the Doctor, at the C2E2 comic convention last week I saw an artist who had a bunch of take-offs on famous paintings with pop culture figures, including this one:

Spoiler:

More at his website, here:
http://jesserubenfeld.net/

If you go to the second page of the website, you'll see the Tenth Doctor as part of Delecroix’s “La Liberté guidant le peuple” as well as my favorite piece of his, the Muppet Last Supper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.