TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows you can't believe are still on the air

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts
Re: TV shows you can't believe are still on the air

Survivor

what is so interesting and fascinating about being stranded on an island and for the show to last 10 years?

Real World

I could think of more but I am tired.
Old 06-30-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
What direction did they want to go in? the mother killing tony?
Well part of the original concept was "Family redefined." Tony, Livia and Melfi in a bizarre triangle in Tony's life. Remember that Livia sort of was controlling the family business through the impressionable Uncle Junior when Tony thought he was in charge. Once Nancy Marchand died, they had to drop the whole puppet regiem/power struggle.

I will cast my vote for Big Brother. The first season was bad enough and successive 8 installments even worse.
Old 06-30-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I still can't believe Jerry Springer is still on the air. To make matters worse, they moved his studio to downtown Stamford.
Old 06-30-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm amazed that shows like 60 Minutes and 20/20 are still on the air. Whenever I stumble across them, it seems like they haven't changed one bit since my grandmother used to watch them back in the 1980s.

I don't have a problem with slow-burning stories, but you'd think that they'd have made the shows a little more current.
Old 06-30-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I still can't believe Jerry Springer is still on the air. To make matters worse, they moved his studio to downtown Stamford.
Isn't Stamford where Maury Povich's show is now as well?

Maybe they just have the guests bounce from one show to the other and save on airfare/hotels.
Old 06-30-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Desperate Housewives
Old 06-30-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

many of the shows listed are highly (relatively) rated in demos or in general. Networks will show test bars if it will get enough ratings.
Having said that, Brad Garrett must have something on the head of programming at Fox because his show 'Til Death gets horrible ratings even after good lead-in support (followed AI for a bit) but manages to get renewed each and every season. It's not even a Fox-owned show. I guess they want it to limp into syndication but still it averaged less than 5 million people last season.
Old 06-30-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I'm surprised that Law and Order is entering it's 20th season this coming Fall. It hasn't been a ratings "hit" since probably Orbach and Bratt were still on the show and has gone through crazy cast turnover in recent years.
Old 06-30-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 06-30-09, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

American Idol. Jumped the shark a while ago. Can't believe people still tune in.
Old 06-30-09, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Survivor

what is so interesting and fascinating about being stranded on an island and for the show to last 10 years?

Real World

I could think of more but I am tired.
The interesting part is watching the people and how they play the game, what alliances are made and who gets betrayed, the being stranded part is a small part of the game now.
Old 06-30-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Ice Road Truckers - Three minutes of entertainment drawn out over three seasons. I find it incomprehensible that this show is still on.
Old 06-30-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday Night Lights- I'm ecstatic that it is still on, but I really figured it would have been axed after the first season.
Old 06-30-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 556 Likes on 393 Posts

I really hope One Tree Hill ends after this season. Season five was a bore after Lucas's Wedding, and I quit watching half way through last season. Even Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton were smart enough to know its time to move on.
Old 06-30-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Having said that, Brad Garrett must have something on the head of programming at Fox because his show 'Til Death gets horrible ratings even after good lead-in support (followed AI for a bit) but manages to get renewed each and every season. It's not even a Fox-owned show. I guess they want it to limp into syndication but still it averaged less than 5 million people last season.

This thread should be re-titled Til Death.
Old 06-30-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts

Dog the Bounty Hunter

how interesting can it be to nab a new icehead every week and you would think after the racial comments he made a couple years ago that would have affected the ratings?

it is a guilty pleasure but even I wonder why it is still on the air.
Old 06-30-09, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dog the Bounty Hunter

how interesting can it be to nab a new icehead every week and you would think after the racial comments he made a couple years ago that would have affected the ratings?

it is a guilty pleasure but even I wonder why it is still on the air.
Because it takes time, money, and effort to come up with a new show and launch it- a show which, at the end of the day, isn't all that likely to draw higher ratings. It's easier and a hell of a lot cheaper for them to just ride existing shows until the wheels fall off. Dog has definitely gotten beyond stale, though.
Old 06-30-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Friday Night Lights- I'm ecstatic that it is still on, but I really figured it would have been axed after the first season.
I wonder if other shows will be saved by similar deals like the DirecTV deal that saved this show. If so, I'm all for it.

Not a tv show per se, but I am surprised that the WNBA is still pretty widely televised. Even with it's NBA backing, one of it's premier teams folded, and others are getting the soccer/nascar treatment with ads instead of logos on their jerseys.

I am also surprised by the onslaught of Entertainment Tonight type shows. I guess people can't get enough of celebs, but with news so readily available on the internet or even covered in local news, I don't see the point. And while TMZ has gotten a lot of entertainment scoops, their show is just them making up stuff to say about random clips they happen to capture.

Also, nearly every show on G4TV.
Old 07-01-09, 01:40 AM

- One Tree Hill -
Old 07-01-09, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm surprised that Law and Order is entering it's 20th season this coming Fall. It hasn't been a ratings "hit" since probably Orbach and Bratt were still on the show and has gone through crazy cast turnover in recent years.
Dick Wolf seems to be obsessed with beating Gunsmoke's entertainment show record of twenty seasons. I think it's the sheer force of his will and long association with NBC that's keeping it on. Plus NBC doesn't have much going for it anyway.

That said, I thought last season was pretty good, the best in a long time. And I like Waterston as DA.
Old 07-01-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
See but you're argument makes no sense. If FOX doesn't own it, why would they keep it around to get syndication when they'd see no proceeds from that achievement?
Old 07-01-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
The Simpsons
seconded
Old 07-01-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

America's Funniest Home Videos
Old 07-01-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aside from any/all reality shows and many of those previously mentioned, my vote goes to The Office. I think it jumped the shark back when Michael drove into a lake and kidnapped a pizza delivery boy and it hasn't gotten back to the quality of seasons 2-3. I still watch it, but I'm finding it to be more and more of a chore these days.
Old 07-01-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lost
You do drugs

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.