TV shows you can't believe are still on the air

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV shows you can't believe are still on the air

Old 07-01-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: TV shows you can't believe are still on the air

Originally Posted by movielib
Dick Wolf seems to be obsessed with beating Gunsmoke's entertainment show record of twenty seasons. I think it's the sheer force of his will and long association with NBC that's keeping it on. Plus NBC doesn't have much going for it anyway.

That said, I thought last season was pretty good, the best in a long time. And I like Waterston as DA.
I'm pretty sure NBC makes a pretty penny off the syndication of the show, Thats why they keep making new episodes. I wouldn't be surprised if they create a Law and Order channel eventually.
Old 07-01-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm baffled by The Big Bang Theory still being on. For some reason, people like it...people who's opinions I normally trust. I just don't see it. I don't think I've cracked a smile at all the few times I've watched it (because people are always saying, "It's gotten better now, give it another chance"...but it hasn't gotten better). The laugh track is completely overused, the jokes are all predictable, and the nerd humor isn't funny or ironically cool, it's just flat-out annoying. I want to strangle the tall guy on the show. Johnny Galecki is always likable and the main girl is hot, but that, to me isn't enough to carry a show.
Old 07-01-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firteen88
You do drugs
I'm pretty sure the guy that said Lost is the forum's resident comedian.
Old 07-01-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Another vote for Law and Order. I have never seen a single episode of any of its incarnations.
Old 07-01-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kurupt
I'm baffled by The Big Bang Theory still being on. For some reason, people like it...people who's opinions I normally trust. I just don't see it. I don't think I've cracked a smile at all the few times I've watched it (because people are always saying, "It's gotten better now, give it another chance"...but it hasn't gotten better). The laugh track is completely overused, the jokes are all predictable, and the nerd humor isn't funny or ironically cool, it's just flat-out annoying. I want to strangle the tall guy on the show. Johnny Galecki is always likable and the main girl is hot, but that, to me isn't enough to carry a show.
I used to think this way, too. I absolutely hated the show the first few times I saw it here and there. The nerd humor seemed like anything but humor to me. Then I decided to rent the first season on Netflix. After watching a handful of episodes back to back, I just somehow started to get into it. I would never consider it a great show, but I really like Kaley Cuoco, and Howard is funny enough to keep me watching. Sheldon is ridiculous but even he has grown on me a bit.
Old 07-01-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 625 Likes on 503 Posts

I started watching Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother this summer from CBS reruns based on their popularity in this forum. I think BBT is pretty funny - I'll definitely regularly tune in for the next season. However, HIMYM (except for a few Barney actions) is pretty bland and unfunny IMO.
Old 07-01-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to agree on HIMYM. I loved it early on but it has gotten pretty tiresome. I thought Barney was funny but I find him irksome now. There's only so many times a character doing the EXACT same lines and gags can be funny, and I have despised Ted pretty much from jump street. He is just such a whiny little bitch. I still watch mainly for the Marshall and Lily stuff.
Old 07-01-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I going with any reality show and Family Guy...I say FG because that show has really lost it (total shark jump) and I am mystified that it is still on.

Honorable mention goes to any show on the CW, According To Jim, Cold Case and 30 Rock (I love the show, but it almost seems to quirky to stay on..I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop).
Old 07-01-09, 03:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

If you told me 20 years ago that Doctor Who would be on the air today, and be one of the world's most popular sci-fi series, I would have thought you mad.
Old 07-01-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I used to think this way, too. I absolutely hated the show the first few times I saw it here and there. The nerd humor seemed like anything but humor to me. Then I decided to rent the first season on Netflix. After watching a handful of episodes back to back, I just somehow started to get into it. I would never consider it a great show, but I really like Kaley Cuoco, and Howard is funny enough to keep me watching. Sheldon is ridiculous but even he has grown on me a bit.
I have to agree on HIMYM. I loved it early on but it has gotten pretty tiresome. I thought Barney was funny but I find him irksome now. There's only so many times a character doing the EXACT same lines and gags can be funny, and I have despised Ted pretty much from jump street. He is just such a whiny little bitch. I still watch mainly for the Marshall and Lily stuff.
This is the exact opposite of my feelings of both these shows. HIMYM is one of my favorite sitcoms currently on my weekly schedule (behind 30 Rock and The Office).

Personally, I wouldn't call Barney stale but he's not up there with his season 1 and 2 standards. Marshall and Lily and consistently funny. Robin is only funny when she's Canadian Robin. Ted sucks.

But I think it's interesting that you say that the show has repetitive humor when that is EXACTLY how I feel about the BBT and I don't see it in HIMYM. I too have been watching reruns of BBT and I've been DVRing it so I've been watching a few episodes at a time and this is the exact definition of them repeating the SAME jokes. The same jokes exactly like they did it the week before. Sheldon with his chinese food, Sheldon with knocking on Penny's door, Raj not being able to talk around women and the whole group going to in depth analysis of comic books on a weekly basis is pretty stale. I still watch, but I find it much more tiresome than HIMYM. IMO, of course.
Old 07-01-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Dog the Bounty Hunter

how interesting can it be to nab a new icehead every week
Worked for Cops and dozens upon dozens of crime dramas. Dog and his crew are more like characters than real people which is why people still tune in.
Old 07-01-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
But I think it's interesting that you say that the show has repetitive humor when that is EXACTLY how I feel about the BBT and I don't see it in HIMYM. I too have been watching reruns of BBT and I've been DVRing it so I've been watching a few episodes at a time and this is the exact definition of them repeating the SAME jokes. The same jokes exactly like they did it the week before. Sheldon with his chinese food, Sheldon with knocking on Penny's door, Raj not being able to talk around women and the whole group going to in depth analysis of comic books on a weekly basis is pretty stale. I still watch, but I find it much more tiresome than HIMYM. IMO, of course.
Well, most of that probably is a factor of me seeing just about every one of HIMYM's 4 seasons worth of episodes, while BBT has only had two seasons to date-only one of which I've seen. When you think about it, pretty much every show has characters that get stuck doing the same little schtick over and over. For some reason, Barney grates on my nerves more than most.
Old 07-01-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry Springer show...I saw an episode a few weeks ago and I thought it was a rerun. Instead, it looked like a current episode. I can't believe that damn show is still on. Like a cockroach, it just won't die.
Old 07-01-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

King of the Hill.
Old 07-02-09, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by firteen88
You do drugs
You enjoy fillers
Old 07-02-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, most of that probably is a factor of me seeing just about every one of HIMYM's 4 seasons worth of episodes, while BBT has only had two seasons to date-only one of which I've seen. When you think about it, pretty much every show has characters that get stuck doing the same little schtick over and over. For some reason, Barney grates on my nerves more than most.
I agree that characters on these shows don't develop much but on the opposite end of the stick, I still enjoy Barney yet I find that Sheldon has already gotten on my nerves to the point where the show easily could be dropped. Since we're in a summer lull, I keep watching. Also, HIMYM has the fallback of Marshall being consistently hilarious while I don't get much of that from BBT... other than the entertainment that Kaley Cuoco's boobs bring.
Old 07-02-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
King of the Hill.
I would have said this as well, but since it has officially been cancelled I didn't think it qualified.
Old 07-02-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Over 60 replies and nobody has mentioned Saturday Night Live?

You all disappoint me.

-jason
Old 07-02-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Oprah
Dr. Phil
NCIS
WWE
Fringe

And also: SNL

Last edited by Match; 07-02-09 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
Oprah
Dr. Phil
NCIS
WWE
Fringe

And also: SNL
Why NCIS and Fringe? Because you personally don't like them?

NCIS is still a top 10 show in the ratings and IMO is creatively still going strong.

Fringe is going into it's 2nd season and has a slowly growing fanbase.

As far as I'm concerned they deserve to be on the air.
Old 07-02-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
Over 60 replies and nobody has mentioned Saturday Night Live?

You all disappoint me.

-jason
The problem with SNL isn't the show itself, it's the writers. Every year they bring in new writers as others leave because so many comedy writers see SNL as the beginning of their big break. So eventually the stars will align again and there will be a bunch of good comedy writers on one team and the show will be funny again.
Old 07-02-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
What direction did they want to go in? the mother killing tony?
Tony getting arrested and his mother was supposed to testify against him. From what I've read, anyway.

If we are going to throw out some day time shows, I will say The View and Maury Povich. I guess Barbara Walters is the glue holding the ball together at the View, but does it still get the ratings it once used to (I honestly don't know...does it?) And Maury...that show has devolved into paternity test episodes. Why do people want to continue watching that. Like Springer, it's a cockroach that just won't die.

Last edited by calhoun07; 07-02-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-02-09, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kurupt
I could have written this post myself.
Old 07-03-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
If we are going to throw out some day time shows, I will say The View and Maury Povich. I guess Barbara Walters is the glue holding the ball together at the View, but does it still get the ratings it once used to (I honestly don't know...does it?) And Maury...that show has devolved into paternity test episodes. Why do people want to continue watching that. Like Springer, it's a cockroach that just won't die.
Yeah, I found that Maury was still on too. Montell Williams has some kind of show on too. I can't believe there is still an audience for those shows.
Old 07-03-09, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by grenier
Two and a Half Men
According to Jim (I think it might have finally been laid to rest)
these are first 2 shows that came to mind when I read the thread.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.