Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brein starting June 1!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brein starting June 1!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brein starting June 1!

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Pearl Jam did the same generic tunes theve done since vs.
I just did a fucking spit take on that one. I can definitely see not liking Pearl Jam, but generic is hardly a word I think would get used when describing them.
Old 06-02-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
You know that opening was a one-time thing, right? I thought it was _hilarious_, especially running through Wrigley DURING a game. Awesome.

He didn't run through Wrigley during the game, it was actually taped before the game. It was pretty awesome though. I get the feeling Conan loves coming to Chicago for a week, he always seems to have fun. Good thing he didn't run through U.S Cellular though, he would have gotten shot
Old 06-02-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

i liked it but it wasn't the old Conan. I think it more had to do with 1st show jitters than the quality of product.

The opening running video was pure brilliance. As for Andy, I don't think I'm going to like him as an announcer. I want him on the couch like Ed used to be. I'll be dollars to donuts that will happen eventually.

The new set is great, but it's freaking huge as compared to the old set. It's almost too big.

The Conan as a tour guide was a great bit, but it seemed to lack the edge of his previous show.

I liked that the monologue was short and sweet. I hope it stays that way and they keep the focus of the show on comedy bits and prerecorded skits. Good stuff.
Old 06-03-09, 01:59 AM

I can already tell the monologue is going to be the weakest link, as it was on his old show, but everything else (except for the twitter crap) was much better tonight. "Rodeo Road" was freaking hilarious and Tom Hanks was great as usual.
Old 06-03-09, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spamurai
I can already tell the monologue is going to be the weakest link, as it was on his old show, but everything else (except for the twitter crap) was much better tonight. "Rodeo Road" was freaking hilarious and Tom Hanks was great as usual.
I like Conan's monologues,especially in comparison to Leno's.

Yeah that Rodeo Road bit was great
Old 06-03-09, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Conan walking across the intersection at the end of Rodeo Road in his new clothes was hilarious. The Twitter thing was pretty dumb, but at least he was pointing out the absurdity of it rather than trying to make it a part of the show (although that is probably going to be just around the corner).
Old 06-03-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was cracking up during the Rodeo Road bit. Loved the wigs and his "Bitch" belt buckle.
Old 06-03-09, 11:10 AM

I loved the Twitter bit. Very reminiscent of all the other bits he does that essentially make fun of late night show bits, i.e. any one where he pets or licks the title graphic.
Old 06-03-09, 11:56 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by spamurai
Agree about the monologue. I thought the twitter bit was funny.
Old 06-03-09, 12:07 PM

Pearl Jam was dreadful. Loved the running bit. Thought the Studio tour was not Conan's finest moment (he's usually much funnier in those bits), although I loved it when the audience yelled out 'Circle, Circle ...'.

Always enjoyed Conan. He's very funny and can be very funny physically as well.
Old 06-03-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, will he continue to only have one guest? I hope so! I think his show has, thus far, been the perfect combination of monologue, clips, and interview. I hope they lower Andy's mic when he's not being addressed by Conan, his laugh will get very annoying very quickly, I hope for more Max interaction though.
Old 06-03-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,880 Likes on 1,158 Posts

Ahhhh, "Rodeo Road". One of LA's "Minor" Ghetto areas. I say "minor" because it's not on the same level of South Central LA and it's close to Baldwin Hills which actually has a lot of wealthy older Blacks. It gets a little "dicey" in some parts of that area but it's not too bad. I've had many friends who've lived very near where Conan was shooting. KABC and KLOS are also 2 minutes from where he was.

Frankly, I'll say it again. SO FAR, THE GUESTS AND BANDS ARE DRAGGING THIS SHOW DOWN. It's like the fun just stops once the bits and Conan stuff ends.
Old 06-03-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've enjoyed both nights so far. I watched all of the first show and everything up through Tom Hanks last night. I haven't regularly watched any light night shows in years but I'll probably watch this through at least the first commercial break most nights if it can keep up this level.
Old 06-03-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
I hope they lower Andy's mic when he's not being addressed by Conan, his laugh will get very annoying very quickly,
Just like Kevin Eubanks when Leno hosted. Nails on a chalkboard...
Old 06-03-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've loved what I've seen so far, which has only been up to the first guest. I haven't had much sleep lately so I'm ready to pass out by the time 12am comes.

I'm so glad they're still featuring La Bamba.
Old 06-03-09, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider
So, will he continue to only have one guest? I hope so! I think his show has, thus far, been the perfect combination of monologue, clips, and interview. I hope they lower Andy's mic when he's not being addressed by Conan, his laugh will get very annoying very quickly, I hope for more Max interaction though.
Tonight's guests are Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Bradley Cooper, and Sheryl Crow.
Old 06-03-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Figures.
Old 06-03-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got around to watching it.

Sure better than Leno, but will the younger audience stay with Conan the way the older, more mainstream, generic humor loving Leno fans stayed with him?

I still can't see why NBC did this. Conan is still young...why push out a guy who wins every night even if the critics and more discerning audiences think the guy is terrible?

And I still have to believe Conan isn't happy that Leno is getting 5 nights a week just before the local news. I've never met a Leno fan, but there are obviously a lot of them, so this seems to give them an opportunity to get their Jay fix earlier and not even bother watching the Tonight Show. Because, in my opinon, it's really never been the Tonight Show without Johnny. It's called that...but it was the Leno Show and now it's the Conan show.

I've heard that Jon Stewart is still who CBS wants for Letterman's replacement, but he'll be around for a good 3-5 more years I think, so that could change.

Eddie Vedder looked like a slightly younger, slightly thinner Ron Jeremy. It was creepy.
Old 06-03-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the ratings will start dropping and Letterman will come out ahead for a while.

Maybe, Hugh Grant can get busted for picking up another Prostitute and Conan can shoot ahead in the ratings for the next 15 years.
Old 06-03-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

I still can't see why NBC did this. Conan is still young...why push out a guy who wins every night even if the critics and more discerning audiences think the guy is terrible?
Didn't someone say that they did this to avoid the whole mess like with Jay and Dave when Carson retired? Or was that just speculation?
Old 06-03-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by theflicker
I loved the Twitter bit. Very reminiscent of all the other bits he does that essentially make fun of late night show bits, i.e. any one where he pets or licks the title graphic.
I loved it as well. I was dyin! I thought it was going to be another lame attempt to shoehorn in some kind of Twitter promotion, but then they just proceeded to make fun of it. I thought it was hilarious!

I'm torn on the fact that the production values, like with their graphics, have gone way up. It seems to loose a bit of the charm Late Night had, but I'm sure they have a lot more money to work with now.
Old 06-03-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

haven't seen last night's episode, but i hope Pierre St. Bernard (one of the graphics guys) came along. I know he'd be a hit with the older people since he seems to complain about the stupidest, most inane things like old people.
Old 06-03-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Letterman took the Late Show when he was 46 and Leno was only 42 when he started on the Tonight Show. Conan is taking over at 46, so I don't see how Conan can still be considered young. If NBC waited a few more years for Leno to retired, Conan would be in his mid 50s.
Old 06-03-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

La Bamba!

Just watched ep 2. Great stuff all around, except Andy. I just don't like his voice as an announcer. Maybe it'll grow on me, though.
Old 06-03-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by outcastja
Letterman took the Late Show when he was 46 and Leno was only 42 when he started on the Tonight Show. Conan is taking over at 46, so I don't see how Conan can still be considered young. If NBC waited a few more years for Leno to retired, Conan would be in his mid 50s.
Following up on this, I actually noticed that Conan looks a good bit older than I remember him looking last night (didn't see the first night). I think the expectation is driven mostly on the long tenure and advanced age of Carson along with perhaps the incorrect expectation that Leno would have a similar tenure. Carson was the exception, not the rule.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.