TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Unit--Cancelled.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: The Unit--Cancelled.

Originally Posted by Flave
I think that the days of television networks will soon be a thing of the past. Program producers will bypass the networks (and regulators) entirely and go directly to the public using the internet.
This logic doesn't make much sense considering scripted television costs millions of dollars to produce. The Unit for example costs roughly $3M an episode and the internet is not even close to being a good source of ad revenue that would recoup the production costs of the show and let alone make it profitable for whoever decides to cut the checks and pay for the show.
Old 05-28-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
There are some shows we like to watch, but don't have time to get to until later, when we will watch them in "marathon" form. When every show is available on the Internet to allow for such viewing options, then it might become my primary source. Until then, I'll take the flexibility of OTA and a DVR.
Of course, OTA and DVR will not solve the original problem I was addressing -- what if a show isn't available in your area via OTA and/or cable?

I think OTA is going the way of the Dodo; for most people (maybe excluding rural areas) local broadcast is an anachronism and totally unnecessary. Your cable TV service provider and internet service provider and telephone service provider will all merge into one entity -- no need to distinguish between the three when they're all coming down the same cable. (Mind you, terrestrial telephone service could also go the way of the Dodo as cellular takes over.) When this convergence happens, the television network business model is essentially dead. Your ISP/TSP will be the only "network" you need.
Old 05-28-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Honestly, I'm extremely skeptical that 20th Century FOX would successfully be able to sell this show into 1st run syndication (I know the repeats were already sold)

I honestly can't think of any other successful 1st run syndicated show other than Baywatch and that was a success mainly because of it's international audience and the eye candy factor.
Old 05-28-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
This logic doesn't make much sense considering scripted television costs millions of dollars to produce. The Unit for example costs roughly $3M an episode and the internet is not even close to being a good source of ad revenue that would recoup the production costs of the show and let alone make it profitable for whoever decides to cut the checks and pay for the show.
Well, off the top of my head, one way to make this work is the producers sell their shows to your ISP (and others of course) who then distributes it to you and you pay your cable company. I'm sure there are lots of business models that will work.
Old 05-28-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Honestly, I'm extremely skeptical that 20th Century FOX would successfully be able to sell this show into 1st run syndication (I know the repeats were already sold)

I honestly can't think of any other successful 1st run syndicated show other than Baywatch and that was a success mainly because of it's international audience and the eye candy factor.
Star Trek TNG and DS9 were both successful as 1st run syndicated shows, as was Babylon 5 for it's first 4 seasons. Legend of the Seeker has done decently this season in syndication.
Old 05-28-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Star Trek TNG and DS9 were both successful as 1st run syndicated shows, as was Babylon 5 for it's first 4 seasons. Legend of the Seeker has done decently this season in syndication.
Your right, thanks for correcting me. I forgot that those Star Trek shows lasted roughly 6-7 seasons each.

I guess because Baywatch was such an international hit is why it stood out more in my mind.

Besides the large Trek fan base and the eye candy factor for Baywatch, I don't think a Military themed drama like this would be a success in syndication.
Old 05-29-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haven't been on the board lately and came back to find this out. boo. going to miss this show. need to go pick the dvds now (when they go on sale of course).

see ya snake doctor.