Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sarah Connor Chronicles has been officially canceled.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/05/...-show-upd.html

I just made the following updates to my Fall TV Cheat Sheet:

• CBS: Cold Case has been renewed for a seventh season. However, Without a Trace is looking "unlikely" to return, insiders confirm.
• ABC: The Unusuals has been officially canceled.
• Fox: Sarah Connor Chronicles has been officially canceled.

He edited his page:
Fox: Sarah Connor Chronicles has been officially canceled. "[Sarah Connor] has completed its run," Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly confirmed at a press conference this morning. "I think it had a nice little run. It was a good show. It was not an either or [with Dollhouse]. We did see it tailing off a bit [in the ratings]. It had a nice creative core, but, ultimately, we made the bet on Dollhouse, so that's it for [Sarah Connor]... We make no apologies. We gave it a lot of support and some consistent scheduling. We tried and thought it was time to move on."

Last edited by xx2000xx; 05-18-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-18-09, 01:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Sarah Connor Chronicles has been officially canceled.

damn! knew i shouldnt of started watching the unusuals, all the shows i watch seem to get canned Why renew Dollhouse and not SCC??? Especially with the new movie coming out, makes no sense
Old 05-18-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Sarah Conner Chroniceles has nothing to do with the new movie. It takes place in a different "timeline," picking up the story after Terminator 2. Terminator: Salvation continues the story told in Terminator 3.
Old 05-18-09, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
Why renew Dollhouse and not SCC???
If it were up to me I wouldn't hesitate to reverse their fates, but assuming it was an either/or situation, I can understand the decision. Neither did well in the ratings, but Dollhouse is produced in house and has approximately 1/3 the track record of failure.
Old 05-18-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The guy who wrote that is a ***. I'll wait till the "offical" announcement today.
Old 05-18-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Dollhouse is a FOX production, Terminator is a WB production. In this day and age, this kind of thing plays a major role in what gets picked up, and what doesn't.

Beyond that, remember that Terminator was 2 seasons in already, so FOX had already given it a second chance. We don't know if WB may have been using the upcoming film as leverage in negotiations.

Finally, if the movie does make a killing at the box office, there's always the possibility that FOX, or even The CW could see an opportunity and make a deal to bring the show back. While I doubt The CW would see the show as a fit to its demographic, you never know.
Old 05-18-09, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Dollhouse is a FOX production, Terminator is a WB production. In this day and age, this kind of thing plays a major role in what gets picked up, and what doesn't.

Beyond that, remember that Terminator was 2 seasons in already, so FOX had already given it a second chance. We don't know if WB may have been using the upcoming film as leverage in negotiations.

Finally, if the movie does make a killing at the box office, there's always the possibility that FOX, or even The CW could see an opportunity and make a deal to bring the show back. While I doubt The CW would see the show as a fit to its demographic, you never know.
Exactly, if it's an in house production and can be produced at a reasonable cost, the chances of it making another season are way better than outside productions. I read Whedon and FOX made budgetary concessions for them to greenlight a 2nd season.

Alot of shows are cancelled because the studios who produce them refuse to make budget cuts or reduce their licensing fee. Especially now with Ad revenue being sluggish due to the economy, the networks probably want all their new shows and returning shows to be produced at lower costs so that they have a better chance to profit.

Summer Glau already signed on to do a movie this summer, thus the show is definitely dead.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-18-09 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-18-09, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Something else to consider, which I hadn't read in any of the discussion of TSCC is that WB does not have the rights for a possible 5th film. That may have been a deterrent from making a third season at their cost or that may not have been an option because a new studio would get those TV rights.
Old 05-18-09, 04:24 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is sad news, but maybe Summer Glau can show up as a doll on dollhouse now.
Old 05-18-09, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the way in which Terminator was promoted had a big reason in it's downfall. They focused too heavily on Summer Glau's character and it came of as a "hot girl kicking ass" show. They were aiming for horny teens when it was much more than that (i.e. a mother a son's relationship). I think the marketing killed the show because the audience they were targeting never showed up. I find it funny and ironic that Fox is sticking with a show (Dollhouse) which is exactly that, a "hot girl kicking ass" show, and nothing more.

I watched the entire season of Dollhouse, but I won't bother with a second season. On the other hand, if Terminator were to have been renewed I'd be watching.
Old 05-18-09, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dino88
I think the way in which Terminator was promoted had a big reason in it's downfall. They focused too heavily on Summer Glau's character and it came of as a "hot girl kicking ass" show. They were aiming for horny teens when it was much more than that (i.e. a mother a son's relationship). I think the marketing killed the show because the audience they were targeting never showed up. I find it funny and ironic that Fox is sticking with a show (Dollhouse) which is exactly that, a "hot girl kicking ass" show, and nothing more.

I watched the entire season of Dollhouse, but I won't bother with a second season. On the other hand, if Terminator were to have been renewed I'd be watching.
I actually have to agree with you about the promotion. I absolutely hated the stupid "Grindhouse" commercials that promoted the move to Friday that solely focused on Summer Glau. That was so not what the show was about. I was attracted to the show because of the relationship aspect between John and his mother.
Old 05-18-09, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya

Summer Glau already signed on to do a movie this summer, thus the show is definitely dead.
Right....because theat makes it "offically" dead.
Old 05-18-09, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
It will be official in 5 hours.
Old 05-18-09, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OT...I remember hearing about a movie with both John and Sarah (can't think of their real names). Does anyone know the movie I'm speaking of?

edit...found it. "Laid to Rest" if anyone else is interested.

Last edited by dino88; 05-18-09 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-18-09, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
It will be official in 5 hours.
So you know, Assiellohole has been pronouncing TSCC dead ever since the end of season 1.
Old 05-18-09, 07:01 AM
ATX

if this is official i will just mimic an earlier sentiment

How the fuck does dog crap like Dollhouse get renewed and TSCC get canned?

Dollhouse is 9 notches below Birds Of Prey

this whole "it just keeps getting better and better..." mantra that whedonites keep chanting is getting on my nerves. that shows previews > the actual show

sure TSCC had a short run of bad eps, but it ended strong. ~ 66-70% of S2 eps were great. the bad ones were better than ALL Dollhouse eps, IMO

/rant
Old 05-18-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12
Sarah Conner Chroniceles has nothing to do with the new movie. It takes place in a different "timeline," picking up the story after Terminator 2. Terminator: Salvation continues the story told in Terminator 3.
I don't think Qrusher was saying anything about TSCC's relationship to Terminator S. Just that with a new Terminator film being released this week it is a strange time to cancel a show that could have renewed interest by a much larger audience. Take for example Star Trek. There are a lot of people that were never fans of the series (myself included) and because the film was so good they may go back and watch (or buy) the series/movies. If Terminator S is a good film and a big success, I would think Fox would want to give the series one more year in an attempt to cash in.
Old 05-18-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh? So DULLHOUSE will drone on, but Terminator is gone?

Well, nobody ever said you had to be smart to run a network.
Old 05-18-09, 09:48 AM

How can you title this OFFICIAL when the news came from a blogger??!!

Old 05-18-09, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
It's dead. Been dead since December 2008. Warner gave the show literally for free to Fox for the back 9. Dead. The "April Fools" video was shot in February. Dead. The producers, writers, actors etc have been lying to you and everything. It's dead.
Old 05-18-09, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marty888
Huh? So DULLHOUSE will drone on, but Terminator is gone?

Well, nobody ever said you had to be smart to run a network.
Its been mentioned already but I'll say it again.
Dollhouse is a FOX show while Terminator is a WB Show.
Dollhouse is cheaper to produce while Terminator is expensive.
Dollhouse does not have a huge license fee that Terminator has, because its a franchise.
Terminator already had a second chance. It went from 18 Million viewers (first ep) down to 3 Million (last ep).
Fox canceled Firefly...and look what happened. The show took off. They don't want the same thing to happen to Dollhouse so a second chance was granted - one Terminator already has - twice!

Originally Posted by Strafe
How can you title this OFFICIAL when the news came from a blogger??!!

It's official. It's dead. Buried. Gone. Unless a last minute miracle saves it...its dead.
Old 05-18-09, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It's official. It's dead. Buried. Gone. Unless a last minute miracle saves it...its dead.
Stay out of it, Nick Lachey!
Old 05-18-09, 11:16 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Strafe
Stay out of it, Nick Lachey!
But...I'm Nick Lachey!
Old 05-18-09, 11:33 AM

He updated the link I gave and now it's this.

Fox: Sarah Connor Chronicles has been officially canceled. "[Sarah Connor] has completed its run," Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly confirmed at a press conference this morning. "I think it had a nice little run. It was a good show. It was not an either or [with Dollhouse]. We did see it tailing off a bit [in the ratings]. It had a nice creative core, but, ultimately, we made the bet on Dollhouse, so that's it for [Sarah Connor]... We make no apologies. We gave it a lot of support and some consistent scheduling. We tried and thought it was time to move on."
Old 05-18-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sigh. Terminator was a MUCH better show than Dollhouse IMO. Though I still believe Terminator slit their own throat when they moved to Fridays and started off the second half of the season with a bunch of internally-driven Sarah-focused plots, which most agree were the weakest of the series. Bad move on the writer's/producer's parts.

Guess I'm just glad I could enjoy it while I could.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.