Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Scrubs posied to return for a 9th Season...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 07:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/...-imminent.html

Sacred Heart fans, I've got scoop.

A "Scrubs" source tells me that show creator Bill Lawrence met with ABC president Steve McPherson today, and I'm now hearing from another insider that said meeting went well and the show will in fact return for a ninth season.

The rumor is that several series regulars, including Zach Braff and Sarah Chalke, have agreed to appear in six episodes of this next go-round.

And, yeah, why wouldn't they?

It's a lot of money. They all love each other. There will be plenty of time to pursue other projects...

No brainer.

But for us fans who may feel that last Wednesday's finale was the perfect swan song?

Well, I've decided to look at the new season as a psuedo "Scrubs" spin off. With J.D. exiting Sacred Heart, "Scrubs" as we know it is over. However, there may still be enough goodness there to go on in a new capacity. We'll have to wait and see what Bill and his team come up with. The younger characters will be developed further. Maybe we'll see more fresh faces. There will be new relationships, perhaps new issues. Could be cool...
Old 05-14-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Scrubs posied to return for a 9th Season...

Is it necessary? I used to be a dedicated Srubs fan in the early years, but then it was on Comedy Central and TV Land all the time and I kind of got sick of it.. I thought a lot of people liked the final episode? Why ruin a good thing?
Old 05-14-09, 08:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Is it necessary? I used to be a dedicated Srubs fan in the early years, but then it was on Comedy Central and TV Land all the time and I kind of got sick of it.. I thought a lot of people liked the final episode? Why ruin a good thing?
Is any TV show necessary? Even if the new season sucks, it won't ruin what's come before -- those episodes will still be on my shelf, as funny as ever. As for the new stuff, I think a Bill Lawrence show set in a hospital and starring Donald Faison and John C. McGinley is more likely to be funny than whatever random sitcom ABC would otherwise put in that time slot.
Old 05-14-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Is any TV show necessary? Even if the new season sucks, it won't ruin what's come before -- those episodes will still be on my shelf, as funny as ever. As for the new stuff, I think a Bill Lawrence show set in a hospital and starring Donald Faison and John C. McGinley is more likely to be funny than whatever random sitcom ABC would otherwise put in that time slot.
As "over" as Scrubs is for me, you're not wrong.
Old 05-14-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read several interviews with Bill Lawrence and his main justification for another season is to keep employed the hundreds of people who work on the show. He's also said that as far as he and most everyone else is concerned, Scrubs ended on May 6, 2009. The 9th season will be a new series, a la Frasier to Cheers.
Old 05-14-09, 09:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 05-14-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ugh.
Old 05-14-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or8UhztOSH4
Old 05-14-09, 09:56 PM
Banned

Can anyone say...AfterM*A*S*H?

Seriously, pack it up, guys.
Old 05-14-09, 10:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cracksky
Can anyone say...AfterM*A*S*H?

Seriously, pack it up, guys.
It could be AfterM*A*S*H or it could be Frasier. AfterM*A*S*H sucked (so I hear, anyway -- I've never actually seen it), but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy M*A*S*H. If the new version of Scrubs sucks, I'll stop watching and remember the 9 years I had with Braff and Chalke. If it's Frasier, I'll get another 9 years of cool, funny show without Braff and Chalke.
Old 05-14-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jasonf
i think a bill lawrence show set in a hospital and starring donald faison and john c. Mcginley is more likely to be funny than whatever random sitcom abc would otherwise put in that time slot.
+1

They should try to get that guy from Parks and Rec to come back, he was by far the funniest intern (I'm assuming parks will be cancelled).

Last edited by Thrush; 05-14-09 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

And, yeah, why wouldn't they?

It's a lot of money. They all love each other. There will be plenty of time to pursue other projects...

No brainer.
Wait. What? Where's this money coming from? I thought they were under tight budget restraints this year, hence cast members being absent and limited shooting sets.
Old 05-15-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I've read several interviews with Bill Lawrence and his main justification for another season is to keep employed the hundreds of people who work on the show. He's also said that as far as he and most everyone else is concerned, Scrubs ended on May 6, 2009. The 9th season will be a new series, a la Frasier to Cheers.
Honestly, that's a pretty bad reason from a creative standpoint to keep any TV show on the air.
Old 05-15-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
+1

They should try to get that guy from Parks and Rec to come back, he was by far the funniest intern (I'm assuming parks will be cancelled).
Parks has been picked up for a 2nd season.
Old 05-15-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

What, keeping people employed? Sure, from a creative standpoint it's a horrible idea but if you can guarantee another year of work in a horrible economy for 100 people you've cared deeply for for the past decade, why not?
Old 05-15-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So ABC decided to stick a penny in the door of Scrubs after all.
Old 05-15-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it. If it's not good, I won't watch but it does have potential since I did like the interns. I do think they should repackage the whole thing and call it "Interns" and have Cox and Turk be minor characters. I think that'll give it a fresh start without ruining anything that came before it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Worst case scenario is that it sucks and I stop watching. Best case is that it's awesome and I get a few more years of Sacred Heart.
Old 05-15-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This pleases me greatly. For some reason I was thinking about how much I wish it would come back next season, then bam, I hear this news.
Old 05-15-09, 07:26 AM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I like it. If it's not good, I won't watch but it does have potential since I did like the interns. I do think they should repackage the whole thing and call it "Interns" and have Cox and Turk be minor characters. I think that'll give it a fresh start without ruining anything that came before it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it. Worst case scenario is that it sucks and I stop watching. Best case is that it's awesome and I get a few more years of Sacred Heart.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by Brent L
This pleases me greatly. For some reason I was thinking about how much I wish it would come back next season, then bam, I hear this news.
Ditto.
Old 05-15-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm ready for more Jo.
Old 05-15-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Good point. I thought they had a fitting series finale for Scrubs, but I too would probably watch if they came back.
Old 05-15-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

If they bring back the four interns they brought on in 8 (dude-chick, Sunny, Derek & the lanky white dude) I would definitely be down for it. Unfortunately I don't think any of them could carry a show. There still needs to be a main character and none of them fit the bill.
Old 05-15-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They could just introduce some new talent as a new intern for the new season. It could be interesting with some new intern as a new semi-main character, then all of the other people having increased roles.

We're only losing, what, three characters for sure? JD, Elliot, and apparently Kelso.
Old 05-15-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
No, it is not.
It means ABC doesnt have anything else to give us.
They ended it. Let it stay that way.
Old 05-15-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.