Taj
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 5/07/09

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 5/07/09

I really wish Debbie had the chance to try to solve the puzzle in the immunity challenge just to see another chance for her to demonstrate her math skills. I can't believe she's a principal.

Another way to memorize that puzzle is to make an acronym, the same way people remember the order of the planets etc.

I really don't think we'll see anything like this ever again. The old Timberia tribe has this pathological need to vote each other out. They've combined for what, 1 vote against Stephen, and 1 against Taj now? Coach targeting Taj is the first time anyone from that tribe has even attempted anything against them.
Old 05-11-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mraw
I honestly felt just a little sorry for Coach tonight. Out of everyone who could've shown up to see him, an assistant coach? His family didn't want to see him? Does he have any family? It looked kind of pitiful to me.
I'd do the same thing Coach did. I'd tell a friend to come visit me on Survivor instead of a family member. I don't need to get all emotional on TV if my mom comes to see me. I'd rather it be a friend because I can relax around them without getting emotional over seeing them. Just in case they have to compete in the immunity challege, I'd rather work with a friend than with either of my parents. Also, if Jeff gives the ultimatium of either seeing your loved one or everyone else seeing theirs, the decision would be easy and I'd look like a good guy.

Hell if I were in this season of Survivor, I'd ask Taj to bring her husband to camp just so I can meet Eddie George.

JT and Stephen need to play this smart next week. Tell Coach that that one vote for him was from Debbie so he doesn't blow up. Then they need to get rid of Erinn or Taj. Keep Coach around for the final four. Remember, this guy is a man of his word so if he wins immunity in the final four he'll keep Stephen and JT and vote out Erinn or Taj. If he doesn't win immunity then you vote him out and have a final three of JT, Stephen, Erinn/Taj. I'd rather keep Erinn around till the end as she's a pushover vote anyway but JT and Stephen may stick with thier alliance and keep Taj.
Old 05-11-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'd do the same thing Coach did. I'd tell a friend to come visit me on Survivor instead of a family member. I don't need to get all emotional on TV if my mom comes to see me. I'd rather it be a friend because I can relax around them without getting emotional over seeing them. Just in case they have to compete in the immunity challege, I'd rather work with a friend than with either of my parents. Also, if Jeff gives the ultimatium of either seeing your loved one or everyone else seeing theirs, the decision would be easy and I'd look like a good guy.

The reunions always take place in the final 10 days of the competition so it's only another couple weeks tops that you're going to have to wait to see your loved ones. I'd turn it to my advantage (demonstrated perfectly by Johnny Fairplay way back when) in some way, particularly since they frequently involve them in that immunity challenge.
Old 05-11-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either JT or Stephen need to win immunity, and the other needs to play the HII (unless Stephen gave it back to Taj). That would secure both of them in the final 4.
Old 05-11-09, 10:42 AM

For those interested I found the math puzzle posted on the official survivor board.

6 + 2 ÷ 4 x 3 ÷ 3 - 7 + 6 + 5 ÷ 3 - 1 x 1 =
the answer should be
Spoiler:
6 1/6 or 6.1666666666666666667

the conversation over there mentions that there were _ below the puzzle which should indicate a left to right solution, however I would imagine that this would be explained to the survivors before the challenge, which it obviously was not as JT wrote PEMDAS on his board. This challenge could have been made clearer.

I wonder if JT (or anyone else who calls bullshit) will get a payout like some of the survivors in season 3 did? (In season 3 one of the answers to the "questions about the other survivors" challenge was incorrect, which resulted in the survivors who got the real correct answer during the challenge a payout). What does everyone else think?
Old 05-11-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by neilo13
I wonder if JT (or anyone else who calls bullshit) will get a payout like some of the survivors in season 3 did? (In season 3 one of the answers to the "questions about the other survivors" challenge was incorrect, which resulted in the survivors who got the real correct answer during the challenge a payout). What does everyone else think?
I didn't know about the F*up in season 3. I totally think that everyone involved in that challenge should be entitled to compensation of some sort.

Anyone have details on what the payout was for the mistake from season 3?
Old 05-11-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I assumed it was left-to-right without regarding order of operation. Stephen seemed to working it left to right rather than prioritizing mulitiplication and division.
I also think that was how Stephen solved it to get the "right" answer. But I don't recall Jeff ever mentioning how the problem was to be solved (disregarding order of operations).
Old 05-11-09, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by runner001
I didn't know about the F*up in season 3. I totally think that everyone involved in that challenge should be entitled to compensation of some sort.

Info on the Africa challenge (pasted from wikipedia):
At the trivia immunity challenge for Africa's final four players, host Jeff Probst asked which female player in their season had no piercings. Kim Johnson answered Kelly Goldsmith, got the point, and went on to win the challenge, which pushed her to third and ultimately (after another immunity win) second place. Tom Buchanan was eliminated. Months later, the cast and producers (who were preparing for the live finale and reunion) watched the episode backstage. During the rebroadcast of the challenge, Lindsey Richter shouted to the TV that she had no piercings. Lex van den Berghe's answer had been Lindsey, yet the show had not awarded him a point, thus significantly changing the outcome of the game (van den Berghe was eliminated in third place). CBS later paid van den Berghe and Buchanan a settlement.[58]

So, no info on the amount, but I imagine it was more than enough to stop litigation.
It will be interesting to see if this comes up in any interviews with the remaining survivors. With 6 people involved in the questionable challenge, it might cost them alot more than Africa, as there's no definite way to tell who would have won with the mathematically correct answer.
Old 05-11-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's also possible that Jeff told them how to go about solving the equation off screen and JT misunderstood.
Old 05-11-09, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by runner001

Lex and Tom were paid an extra $100K
Old 05-11-09, 12:45 PM

It's also possible that Jeff told them how to go about solving the equation off screen and JT misunderstood.
That is a possibility, but this is for $1 million, so A) I would imagine that kind of information (how to solve the puzzle) would be important to mention to the survivors, even if it wasn't broadcast and B) if I were a player, I would sure as hell pay attention to the rules and make sure I understood them.

I don't think JT is that dumb, and demonstrates that by knowing the order of operations.

I can also see why the question was never asked, some players would assume that left to right is correct way to solve it, others that the order of operations should be followed, and neither player would think to ask because they never thought of the other possibility.

This question will bother me until I get an answer! which probably won't be until the game is over. And could be a few years, as I hadn't heard about the Africa problem until I was reading wikipedia out of boredom.
Old 05-11-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neilo13
For those interested I found the math puzzle posted on the official survivor board.

6 + 2 ÷ 4 x 3 ÷ 3 - 7 + 6 + 5 ÷ 3 - 1 x 1 =
the answer should be
Spoiler:
6 1/6 or 6.1666666666666666667

the conversation over there mentions that there were _ below the puzzle which should indicate a left to right solution, however I would imagine that this would be explained to the survivors before the challenge, which it obviously was not as JT wrote PEMDAS on his board. This challenge could have been made clearer.

The answer I got was 1.
Old 05-11-09, 02:21 PM

I got 1 too, but after looking up what PEMDAS stood for I came up with correct answer using a calculator. Screwy challenge

Last edited by monkyskunk; 05-11-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 02:23 PM

This may be the case, and I think Stephen would've been the first one to think to use the order of operations unless instructed otherwise.
Old 05-11-09, 03:34 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

JT is smarter that I thought.

Never heard of PEMDAS.
Old 05-11-09, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
JT is smarter that I thought.

Never heard of PEMDAS.
In middle school, we were taught PEMDAS as Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally I guess they thought it would stick with us because it was kind of funny.

I just spoke with Stephen for about 30 minutes and he's a really nice guy. I hope that he or Taj wins, and that says a lot being that I've been a die hard fan of Taj and the Sisters With Voices for 16 years!
Old 05-12-09, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mraw
In middle school, we were taught PEMDAS as Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally I guess they thought it would stick with us because it was kind of funny.

I just spoke with Stephen for about 30 minutes and he's a really nice guy. I hope that he or Taj wins, and that says a lot being that I've been a die hard fan of Taj and the Sisters With Voices for 16 years!
You got to interview Stephen? That's awesome Are you an interviewer or stalker?
Old 05-12-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

the women really needed to make a move or else Stephen and JT are going to run away with this. It's like a slow motion to the final 3 and Taj and Erin and Debbie just seem to go with the flow. I don't think any of them can win against JT so why not try and take him out?
Old 05-14-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Meet Mitchell--Coach's Assistant:
<object width='400' height='300'><param name='movie' value='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><embed width='400' height='300' src='http://www.cbs.com/e/SaGsXukZ3Wcbtpq5NffgcFq4mYBFEo9w/cbs/1/' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>
During the episode, I envisioned Assistant Coach as the Mose to Coach's Dwight. But after watching that video, I clearly see he's the Ali G to Coach's Dwight.
Old 05-17-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
During the episode, I envisioned Assistant Coach as the Mose to Coach's Dwight. But after watching that video, I clearly see he's the Ali G to Coach's Dwight.
LOL, so i'm not the only one who got the Ali G vibe from him. I kept waiting for him to say big up yourself.

"But up here (points to head), he is on a different level than most people are".

Ya think??
Old 05-17-09, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
LOL, so i'm not the only one who got the Ali G vibe from him. I kept waiting for him to say big up yourself.

"But up here (points to head), he is on a different level than most people are".

Ya think??
LOL! Too bad that Sacha couldn't have made a proper Ali G. movie in live with Borat and Bruno.