TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes S4 pulling a Lost - All episodes run straight through, no breaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Heroes S4 pulling a Lost - All episodes run straight through, no breaks

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I know, it's amazing how quickly I thoroughly refuted your argument, isn't it?

As an aside, I don't watch much network reality TV, but don't shows like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and Survivor typically run in uninterrupted seasons?
No, its just a pathetic excuse. You are discussing shows that only had 6 episode runs (because they got canceled) compared to other shows which had (minimum) 20+ episode seasons for several years.

You should re-read what most of us are discussing - shows that have running story-arcs throughout the season. Idol, Dancing etc are just reality crap.
Old 05-07-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No, its just a pathetic excuse. You are discussing shows that only had 6 episode runs (because they got canceled) compared to other shows which had (minimum) 20+ episode seasons for several years.
So a show has to have a minimum of 20+ (?) episodes in a season in order to count? So LOST would never count, even if its last season is continuous, since it'll be under 20 episodes?

You should re-read what most of us are discussing - shows that have running story-arcs throughout the season. Idol, Dancing etc are just reality crap.
Calling something "crap" is a subjective determination, not an objective one. And the statement that started this tangent, Michael Corvin's that "24 is the only show" than had a completely continuous season, had no qualifiers to eliminate cable, reality, or limited-run shows from his statement.

The fact is, a lot of shows of different types, both on network and off, have had a continuous season (at least one episode shown every 7 days). 24 is currently the only scripted network drama with multiple 20+ episode seasons that has been mentioned though. So yay for them.

Back on topic, maybe Tim Kring was referring to the "Lost" model in specificity, meaning that he plans Heroes to have a mostly continuous run, but not one that's completely uninterrupted.
Old 05-07-09, 04:50 PM
Suspended

I'm going to alert the mods to change the thread title to:
"Heroes S4 pulling a Andy Barker P.I./The Winner - Running Episodes straight through, no breaks"

And Kring wants Heroes to do what Lost had planned on doing before The Writers Strike and ABC mucked up their schedule. You clearly just want to argue and play a little semantics game so I'll end it there.

Last edited by Gizmo; 05-07-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to alert the mods to change the thread title to:
Heroes S4 pulling a Andy Barker P.I./The Winner - Running Episodes straight through, no breaks.

So you don't think Lost counts anymore?
Old 05-07-09, 04:56 PM
Suspended

So you don't think Lost counts anymore?
Again:
You are discussing shows that only had 6 episode runs (because they got canceled) compared to other shows which had (minimum) 20+ episode seasons for several years.
Lost had 3 years under its belt before it tried to do the straight through thing. NBC is trying to adopt a 'cable-like' approach where they can run multiple shows all year long because of Leno. But please, you got me good with Andy Barker P.I. and The Winner. Forgot all about the continuous 6 episode series run
Old 05-07-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lost had 3 years under its belt before it tried to do the straight through thing.
But Lost's straight through run attempts are under your 20 episode minimum, so do they even count?

BTW, I though you might've caught it before with my "(?)", but writing "(minimum) 20+" is redundant. You don't need the "minimum," even parenthetical, since 20+ by itself means that 20 is the minimum, while allowing for higher numbers.
Old 05-07-09, 05:36 PM
Suspended

But Lost's straight through run attempts are under your 20 episode minimum, so do they even count?

BTW, I though you might've caught it before with my "(?)", but writing "(minimum) 20+" is redundant. You don't need the "minimum," even parenthetical, since 20+ by itself means that 20 is the minimum, while allowing for higher numbers.
Once more:
Lost had 3 years under its belt before it tried to do the straight through thing
It was an established show before the decision to go straight through was made (along with shorter seasons). Neither Barker or The Winner were. On top of that those show were 30 minute comedies while Heroes, Lost are 1 hour dramas. But hey, we'll just say you were right if it makes you feel any better with your picks of Andy Barker P.I. and The Winner.
Old 05-07-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Once more:

It was an established show before the decision to go straight through was made (along with shorter seasons). Neither Barker or The Winner were. On top of that those show were 30 minute comedies while Heroes, Lost are 1 hour dramas. But hey, we'll just say you were right if it makes you feel any better with your picks of Andy Barker P.I. and The Winner.
Dude, you're so parenthetical.
Old 05-07-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was an established show before the decision to go straight through was made (along with shorter seasons). Neither Barker or The Winner were.
So if a show starts out with a continuous run of 20+ episodes, it doesn't count until it's been on longer?

On top of that those show were 30 minute comedies while Heroes, Lost are 1 hour dramas.
No love for 24? This is the first time anyone's brought up episode length. So 30 minute shows can't ever get credit for a continuous season run?

But hey, we'll just say you were right if it makes you feel any better with your picks of Andy Barker P.I. and The Winner.
I was right, in that both those shows met the requirements of Michael Corvin's statement of a show with a continuous run. I've been using examples of cable shows, 1-season wonders, reality shows, etc. to illustrate how all-encompassing his statement was.

Again, I've already written that "24 is currently the only scripted network drama with multiple 20+ episode seasons" that has been mentioned that has had an uninterrupted season.
Old 05-07-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't watched since about episode 5 of the current season. I'll buy the DVD and try to catch up, hopefully it'll come out well before S4 begins. Seasons 1 and 2 had me riveted, this one, not so much...
Old 05-07-09, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Heroes would pull a Lost and not suck anymore.
Old 05-07-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

man you guys are dedicated in your stances.
Old 05-08-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

No Heroes shows in late Feb, March, and April sucks.

Football season will kill half of the audience from Sept-Dec.

I will have nothing to watch in those months except 30 rock and parks and recreation.
Old 06-04-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Some casting news, which gets big thumbs up from me:

Spoiler:
"Prison Break" regular Robert Knepper has joined the cast of NBC's "Heroes" next season says The Hollywood Reporter.

Knepper will play the role of Samuel, a charismatic but evil man with a twisted sense of humor, who will place himself in the lives of all heroes.

The actor will appear in no less than six episodes of the series' fourth season. Shooting kicks off later this week for a continuous run starting this Fall.
Old 06-09-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Other casting news:
Spoiler:
The Force will be with Heroes next season.
British actor Ray Park, whose role as Darth Maul in Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace made him an icon to fanboys far and wide, is joining the cast for a sizeable arc. Additionally, Deanne Bray (Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye, The L Word) has inked a deal to come on board for multiple episodes.

I've made it this far in the show and was willing to drop it this fall(depending on the premier), but the producers are making it hard with these casting developments(including the one Deftones posted).
Old 06-09-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I wish Heroes would pull a Lost and not suck anymore.

Old 06-22-09, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Ummm...Fuller quit.

http://nickctv.wordpress.com/2009/06...-quits-heroes/
If all of you were wondering why earlier this week I stated it would be the last season of HEROES… this is now official so this would be why I’m stating that. Can Tim Kring save the show?

No.

Update 1: NBC is trying to salvage this by solving the problems that caused Fuller to resign (in order to keep him). I’m not sure if they’ll fire Kring (which is about what it would take). So this is a situation that is still evolving. I suggest checking out Aint It Cool News for info as it happens. Because Fuller is more likely to talk to Herc than anyone else right now. He hasn’t posted yet, but he will be soon.

He quit the show for the same reason any sane person would: You don’t want to be known as the show runner of a once hit series’ last horrible season. As long as Kring is making him write absurd crap, he doesn’t want to be involved is my guess.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-22-09 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. Talk about a flash-in-the-pan series. Too bad if that's the case. This show had huge potential too...
Old 06-22-09, 03:21 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Oh dear.
Old 06-22-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Game over man. Game over!
Old 06-22-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Big deal. He wrote 1 fricking episode last season. The whole deal with him returning to the show and becoming it's "Savior" was so overrated.

Good for Fuller. At least now he won't have to deal with Kring and can focus on developing his own show. I never thought he was going to stay with the show fulltime anyways since he signed a 2-year development deal with NBC/Universal which brought him back in the 1st place.
Old 06-22-09, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Its official...his excuse is developing two other shows but in reality its to many disagreements with Kring over his stupid plotlines he insists be on the show.
Old 06-22-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
Big deal. He wrote 1 fricking episode last season. The whole deal with him returning to the show and becoming it's "Savior" was so overrated.

Good for Fuller. At least now he won't have to deal with Kring and can focus on developing his own show. I never thought he was going to stay with the show fulltime anyways since he signed a 2-year development deal with NBC/Universal which brought him back in the 1st place.
I don't think you understand. This show as good when he was in charge. The hopes were that him coming back would bring the show back to the quality of season one. Now that he's gone, the show is pretty much done.
Old 06-22-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

But, he wasn't in charge though. Tim Kring is the showrunner. He's was only a Consulting Producer. The final say for storylines all go through Kring.
Old 06-22-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya
But, he wasn't in charge though. Tim Kring is the showrunner. He's was only a Consulting Producer. The final say for storylines all go through Kring.
I'd say he was more in charge of the development of the overall storyline and plot than you think he was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.