Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Peak at the Pilots - The CW

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-09, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Peak at the Pilots - The CW

With the upfronts coming in 2 weeks maybe its time to look at various Pilots being shopped around the networks. First up is The CW. They apparently are planning on picking up 4 shows out of the 6 below. What do you think will get picked up and which will be dropped? I underlined anything that might be of importance.

(Information from: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwat...=drama&studio=)

BEAUTIFUL LIFE, THE

drama centers on male and female models who live together in new york with a focus on the darker side of the industry
[who's in it?]
· Ashley Madekwe as Marissa
· Ben Hollingsworth as Christopher
· Corbin Bleu as Isaac (Guest Star)
· Elle Macpherson as Claudia (Guest Star)
· Jordan Woolley as Egan (Guest Star)
· Mischa Barton as Sonja
· Nico Tortorella as Kai
· Sara Paxton as Raina
BODY POLITIC, THE
drama focusing on a young woman who moves to washington to work for a senator and the other eager up-and-comers with whom she becomes friends
· Brian Austin Green as Lucky (if Terminator TSCC gets cancelled)
· Gabrielle Union as Jessica
· Jason Dohring as Charlie
· Jay Hernandez as Ben
· Jenny Wade as Ruby
· Minka Kelly as Hope
· Tim Matheson as
LIGHT YEARS
drama which follows a smart, sassy teenager who, while seeking emancipation after growing up in foster homes, discovers that her birth parents - mom's a morning radio show host with commitment-phobia and dad's an immature bar owner - were teens who split after a one-night stand that resulted in pregnancy
· Austin Basis as Math
· Britt Robertson as Lux
· Kerr Smith as Ryan
· Kristoffer Polaha as Nick "Baze" Basile
· Shiri Appleby as Cate Campbell
MELROSE PLACE
a revival of aaron spelling's other signature 1990s soap, about a group of twentysomethings living in the trendy melrose neighborhood of los angeles
· Ashlee Simpson-Wentz as Violet Foster
· Colin Egglesfield as Auggie Kirkpatrick
· Jessica Lucas as Riley Richmond
· Katie Cassidy as Ella Flynn
· Michael Rady as Jonah Miller
· Shaun Sipos as David Patterson
· Stephanie Jacobsen as Lauren Bishop
UNTITLED GOSSIP GIRL SPIN-OFF PROJECT
a spin-off of the popular drama focusing on the pre-"gossip girl" adventures of kelly rutherford's lily van der woodsen as a wild teenager in 1980s los angeles
· Andrew McCarthy as Rick Rhodes
· Brittany Snow as Lily Rhodes
· Cynthia Watros as Celia "CeCe" Rhodes
· Krysten Ritter as Carol Rhodes
· Matt Barr as Keith van der Woodsen
· Ryan Hansen as Shep
· Shilo Fernandez as Owen
VAMPIRE DIARIES
drama about a tragic young heroine who is the object of passion for two vampire brothers - one good, one evil - who are at war for her soul and for the souls of her friends and family
· Ian Somerhalder as Damon
· Katerina Graham as Bonnie
· Kayla Ewell as Vicki
· Michael Trevino as Tyler
· Nina Dobrev as Elena
· Paul Wesley as Stefan
· Sara Canning as Jenna
· Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy
· Zach Roerig as Matt
Old 05-05-09, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Re: Peak at the Pilots - The CW

The Gossip Girl spinoff and Melrose Place are no brainers.

If I had to chose 2 others I would say Vampire Diaries (cash in on Twilight's success) and The Beautiful Life would fit in well with their demographics. Light Year sounds great...but not very CWish. The Body Politic sounds eh...but I do like the cast.
Old 05-05-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

They couldn't come up with something orignial?

BODY POLITIC, THE
drama focusing on a young woman who moves to washington to work for a senator and the other eager up-and-comers with whom she becomes friends
· Brian Austin Green as Lucky (if Terminator TSCC gets cancelled)
· Gabrielle Union as Jessica
· Jason Dohring as Charlie
· Jay Hernandez as Ben
· Jenny Wade as Ruby
· Minka Kelly as Hope
· Tim Matheson as
This was on The WB in 2000.

Five twentysomethings trying to make it in the nation's capital are the focus of this drama. They share space in a posh Georgetown mansion while scrambling to advance beyond their entry-level jobs.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar: Pete Komisky
Gabriel Olds: Mason Scott
Jacinda Barrett: Finley Scott
Kristanna Loken: Sarah Logan
Daniel Sunjata: Lewis Freeman
Old 05-05-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BODY POLITIC, THE

You're complaining about that? Did you just skip past the remake, spin-off and rip-off?
Old 05-05-09, 01:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Light Years sounds like it has the best chance of actually being a good show, which means it will probably be the first one to get the axe.
Old 05-05-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
You're complaining about that? Did you just skip past the remake, spin-off and rip-off?
Yes, but those are explicitly tied to those properties. Other shows at least have an opportunity to start of unique - those you listed are dead before they start (creatively).
Old 05-05-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

Five twentysomethings trying to make it in the nation's capital are the focus of this drama. They share space in a posh Georgetown mansion while scrambling to advance beyond their entry-level jobs.

Mark-Paul Gosselaar: Pete Komisky
Gabriel Olds: Mason Scott
Jacinda Barrett: Finley Scott
Kristanna Loken: Sarah Logan
Daniel Sunjata: Lewis Freeman
I'm in because of Minka Kelly.
Old 05-05-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Melrose and the GG spin off are indeed no brainers. The only other one that I would bet on is Body Politic, for the simple fact that I know who each of those seven actors mentioned are and can recognize them easily.
Old 05-05-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If Reaper gets the Axe, I'll be done with The CW. Not saying that to threadcrap, but there's nothing here that I personally have any interest in.
Old 05-05-09, 04:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheKing
If Reaper gets the Axe, I'll be done with The CW. Not saying that to threadcrap, but there's nothing here that I personally have any interest in.
It got the Axe before Season 2 aired. It's not coming back - despite being in a tougher timeslot than 90210 and getting higher (!) ratings.
Old 05-05-09, 06:45 PM

I've read all of these scripts except the ones for the GG spin-off and the new Melrose Place, and out of all of them, the best is, hands down, The Body Politic. Light Years is AWFUL. The casting is pretty unimpressive, I think, but the script just kills it. The lead character, Lux, comes across as so bratty and unlikable, and I don't think Shiri Appleby or Kerr Smith will be enough of a draw. Really awful script, and I hope the CW passes on it, and I think they will. The Beautiful Life is decent, probably my second favorite, but it's so...been there, done that, and I'm tired of these CW shows about shallow and decadent young adults. The Vampire Diaries is pretty run-of-the-mill and very cliche, but with how popular the Twilight series is right now, the CW will want to cash in on that success.

I hope that The Body Politic gets picked up over The Beautiful Life and Light Years. Ideally, though, the network would maybe go with TBL and put the GG spin-off on the backburner. I don't think it will do that well and they need to focus on fixing the mess that is Gossip Girl, first.
Old 05-05-09, 06:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SarahConnor
I've read all of these scripts except the ones for the GG spin-off and the new Melrose Place, and out of all of them, the best is, hands down, The Body Politic. Light Years is AWFUL. The casting is pretty unimpressive, I think, but the script just kills it. The lead character, Lux, comes across as so bratty and unlikable, and I don't think Shiri Appleby or Kerr Smith will be enough of a draw. Really awful script, and I hope the CW passes on it, and I think they will. The Beautiful Life is decent, probably my second favorite, but it's so...been there, done that, and I'm tired of these CW shows about shallow and decadent young adults. The Vampire Diaries is pretty run-of-the-mill and very cliche, but with how popular the Twilight series is right now, the CW will want to cash in on that success.

I hope that The Body Politic gets picked up over The Beautiful Life and Light Years. Ideally, though, the network would maybe go with TBL and put the GG spin-off on the backburner. I don't think it will do that well and they need to focus on fixing the mess that is Gossip Girl, first.
Thanks for the reviews. I need to get in touch with my source and see if I can nab copies of these.
Old 05-05-09, 06:55 PM
Suspended

I heard Privileged was looking good for Friday nights - 13 episode order (likely that its - Reaper style)

Last edited by Gizmo; 05-05-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Thanks for the reviews. I need to get in touch with my source and see if I can nab copies of these.
If you could wait until tonight, I could upload them for you. I'd like to hear other opinions, even though my thoughts seem to be the general consensus among other bloggers. Any ones you'd be interested in reading?
Old 05-05-09, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SarahConnor
If you could wait until tonight, I could upload them for you. I'd like to hear other opinions, even though my thoughts seem to be the general consensus among other bloggers. Any ones you'd be interested in reading?
Vampire Diaries
Light Years (I've read it sucked...but the synopsis still intrigues me)
The Body Politic
Beautiful life

I see Lily and MP have yet to be released. They are both obvious shoe-ins next seasons so maybe that's why.
Old 05-05-09, 07:23 PM
Suspended

At the CW, “Melrose Place” remains on cruise control toward a series order, but the “Gossip Girl” spinoff no longer is a sure thing. It is expected to compete for the network’s two or three available slots with the pilots “Beautiful Life” and “Vampire Diaries” — both tracking strong — as well as the early standout “Light Years” and bubble freshman “Privileged.”
Old 05-05-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Don't forget that Laura Leighton who played Sydney in the original Melrose is returning to the re-make as a recurring character.

It will be interesting to hear Stephanie Jacobsen speak with an American accent in Melrose as she's only spoken in her native Aussie accent in BSG and Terminator.
Old 05-06-09, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
Don't forget that Laura Leighton who played Sydney in the original Melrose is returning to the re-make as a recurring character.

It will be interesting to hear Stephanie Jacobsen speak with an American accent in Melrose as she's only spoken in her native Aussie accent in BSG and Terminator.
She is? Nice. I heard the character of 'Ryan Matthews' from 90210 may be joining the cast as well.
Old 05-06-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gossip Girl pilot sounds horrible. Come CW. A Melrose place reboot and a Gossip Girl Prequel? Don't you have anything better than this?
Old 05-06-09, 02:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riley_dude
The Gossip Girl pilot sounds horrible. Come CW. A Melrose place reboot and a Gossip Girl Prequel? Don't you have anything better than this?
Have you not read the pilot synopsis'? Not really.
Old 05-06-09, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
Light Years sounds like it has the best chance of actually being a good show, which means it will probably be the first one to get the axe.
I want Light Years to work. I miss seeing Shiri Appleby every week since Roswell has been over
Old 05-07-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHMustang2000
I want Light Years to work. I miss seeing Shiri Appleby every week since Roswell has been over
SEVEN YEARS AGO? Move on!

It all sounds like total crap to me. Looks like Supernatural (and maybe Smallville) will be it for me.
Old 05-07-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Have you not read the pilot synopsis'? Not really.
I saw previews for the Gossip Girl spinoff (or what could be one) on Gossip Girl last night and that is enough.
Old 05-07-09, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I saw previews for the Gossip Girl spinoff (or what could be one) on Gossip Girl last night and that is enough.
Yeah, it looked incredibly corny when you factor in "older" Lily sitting in her limo with a horrific smile on her face like she is remembering the 'good ol days'. They should have just shot a real pilot, 100%, and made it an entire episode (minus the first few and last minutes with the normal GG characters). Like what One Tree Hill did with the pathetic 50's episode.
Old 05-07-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

According to Nikki Finke's last blog entry at Deadline Hollywood, the Gossip Girl/Lily prequel is pretty much dead now. Monday's GG flashback episode will be the only time we see Snow as Lily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.